Mobile Phones on Planes ? Yes or No ?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mobile Phones on Planes ? Yes or No ?

Here is an interesting little tidbit (video included) about lifting the ban on cell phones and planes. Surprisingly, people and their addictions to cellphones are not in opposition to it :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25347714

Should airlines allow use of mobile phones on planes?

12 December 2013 Last updated at 10:11 GMT

Should you be able to use your mobile phone on the plane?

Some airlines in Europe and the Middle East have just started to offer the service - and US regulators are considering lifting their two-decade long ban on the use of cellphones on airliners.

However, 78% of Americans who have flown at least four times in the past year do not want the ban lifted, according to a survey conducted by Associated Press and GfK.

Samira Hussain reports from New York

Read more

(Oddly enough, but I hate telephones and always have. I use mine when I have to and nothing more. I can not imagine trying to surf the Web on one. Not saying that this makes me better than anyone, I just do not like texting, surfing, or anything else on a hand held device. When I am out in public, I want to forget about it, unless there is something important)

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
 HELL NO! The last thing

HELL NO! The last thing you want is some rude guy sitting next to you yapping away!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since the purpose of the ban

Since the purpose of the ban was the perceived danger of cell phones potentially causing interference with the pilot, it should be repealed now that those fears have been proven to have no basis in reality. Airline companies should be able to decide for themselves based on what kind of experience they want to give their customers. It is ridiculous it has taken this long. For over 15 years we have known that cell phones on planes pose no safety risk.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

HELL NO! The last thing you want is some rude guy sitting next to you yapping away!

Yeah, that would be almost as annoying as someone making HYSTERICAL RANTS USING EXCESSIVE CAPS. Fortunately, the problem on a plane can be easily solved by allowing more guns on planes.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Yeah,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yeah, that would be almost as annoying as someone making HYSTERICAL RANTS USING EXCESSIVE CAPS. Fortunately, the problem on a plane can be easily solved by allowing more guns on planes.

ROFLMAO ! Damn Beyond, almost sprayed coffee all over the computer with that one !

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ban cell phones.

For safety reasons.   I hate to fly and only get on a plane,  under the influence of wine, vodka or what ever else I can find in the pre-flight lounge;  with the intention of sleeping through the entire flight. Anyone who wakes me up with their noisy phone conversation is going to be dealing with a grumpy, drunk, very large ex-steel worker,  and the scrawny flight attendents I've seen lately aren't going to be able to stop me from cramming that cell phone where I want to.  It won't be a nice place.            

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:
              For safety reasons.   I hate to fly and only get on a plane,  under the influence of wine, vodka or what ever else I can find in the pre-flight lounge;  with the intention of sleeping through the entire flight. Anyone who wakes me up with their noisy phone conversation is going to be dealing with a grumpy, drunk, very large ex-steel worker,  and the scrawny flight attendents I've seen lately aren't going to be able to stop me from cramming that cell phone where I want to.  It won't be a nice place.            

yeah, i like to get blotto on planes too, but mostly to aleve the boredom, since i take a lot of transatlantic flights. i'm a quiet, peaceful drunk, however, whose biggest crime is usually trying to flatter attractive stewardesses with clumsy attempts at charm (i.e. smiles and little jokes, not leering or ass-pinching). i know i would love to see the ban lifted in order to engage in drunk texting, a silent activity.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
It's bad enough planes

It's bad enough planes create massive air pollution.  The last thing we need is excessive noise pollution because we have enough of that on ground; let's keep it out of the air.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

More guns solves pretty much every problem, but I'm not sure that it'd be justifiable to blow the whole plane up just because someone is on the phone...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.