Obama and the Pay Gap Issue

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obama and the Pay Gap Issue

It looks like the President is now talking about "economic inequality" and raising the minimum wage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25227501

Obama calls for action on 'profoundly unequal' economy

The US president said the country had accepted higher levels of economic inequality than other developed nations because Americans "were convinced that America is a place where even if you're born with nothing, with a little hard work you can improve your own situation over time".

But Mr Obama, a Democrat, said rising income inequality had been accompanied in recent decades by diminishing opportunities for social mobility.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Lol "profoundly unequal." 

Lol "profoundly unequal."  So fucking tired of politics and the Wormtongue-whisperings they do to the gullible American public.

Lend the nation some of that Wall Street and lobbying money and then we'll talk about "profoundly unequal," Mr. President.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
raising minimum wage is

raising minimum wage is another fucking patch on top of a patch on top of a patch.

if this administration is serious about changing the american economic paradigm, the whole system will have to be torn up by the roots, all the way back to the constitution, with its enshrinement of "life, liberty, and property."

of course, the administration cannot be serious, since one of the fundamental duties of the president is to protect the constitution. so we'll just keep playing minimum wage shuffle board until the bottom drops out.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lip service. That's all

Lip service. That's all Obama seems to do, for anything. A rise in minimum wage can not fix things. Tying minimum wage to inflation, retroactively, would be far more effective. But even that wouldn't solve the core problems.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.