Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is why guns need to be BANNED!

GUN VIOLENCE in the UNITED STATES

Some Indicative Data:

Gun Ownership

The US has an estimated 283 million guns in civilian hands

Each year about 4.5 million firearms, including approximately 2 million handguns, are sold in the United States

An estimated 2 million second hand firearms are sold each year

The percentage of American households with a gun has been steadily declining (high of 54% in 1977 to 33% in 2009)

The average number of guns per owner has increased from 4.1 in 1994 to 6.9 in 2004.Sources: Injury Prevention (2007); ATF (2000); National Opinion Research Center (2008); Pew Research Center (2009)

Gun Deaths:

More than 30,000 people are killed by firearms each year in this country

More than 30 people are shot and murdered each day

1/2  of them are between the ages of 18 and 351/3 of them are under the age of 20

Homicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-24 year-olds

And the primary cause of death among African Americans of that age group

Gun Homicides (average annually):

Less than 50: Japan

Less than 150:  Germany, Italy, France, etc.

Less than 200:  Canada

More than 10,000: USA 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:They are legal

Vastet wrote:
They are legal in some places. But really they aren't useful except in military application. Pull out a grenade launcher in anything but war and everyone starts running away in all directions. They also have very low capacity for precision and efficiency. I'd rather have a gun in most circumstances.

yeah, pretty much the only time i'd want a grenade launcher in a street situation would be if i ran up on the cyberdemon...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Pull out a

Vastet wrote:
Pull out a grenade launcher in anything but war and everyone starts running away in all directions.

Yeah, and if you accidentally killed a few innocent bystander with your AGL you could just do what the military does and simply refer to their deaths as "collateral damage."    OOOPS !

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

...exactly, it's called acute alcohol poisoning.   It's killed a few stupid Frat boys lately, not that I care.

Hey moron, you can't wipe out an entire classroom full of little kids in 3 minutes with alcohol, tobacco, or cigarettes!

Here is some more OWNAGE of you pro gun nuts from a Harvard study that clearly shows guns in the home do more harm than good!

When it comes to violence, nearly every figure suggests that increased presence of guns correlates with higher levels of injury and death. Homicide rates among the US population between 15 and 24 years of age are 14 times higher than those in most other industrialized nations.

Overall, the author concludes the same thing applies to homicides and suicides: people regularly get involved in violence, and the presence of a gun is likely to elevate that to fatal levels. 

Worse still, using a gun in self-defense is extremely rare (most instances involve using a gun to defend against animals): studies place defensive gun use at about one percent in home invasions and 0.1 percent in sexual assaults. Moreover, police reports suggest a lot of these uses involvedinappropriate use of the gun.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/

The conclusion is clear. MANY THOUSANDS MORE HAVE BEEN HURT BY GUNS THAN HELPED BY THEM!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

...exactly, it's called acute alcohol poisoning.   It's killed a few stupid Frat boys lately, not that I care.

Hey moron, you can't wipe out an entire classroom full of little kids in 3 minutes with alcohol, tobacco, or cigarettes!

Here is some more OWNAGE of you pro gun nuts from a Harvard study that clearly shows guns in the home do more harm than good!

When it comes to violence, nearly every figure suggests that increased presence of guns correlates with higher levels of injury and death. Homicide rates among the US population between 15 and 24 years of age are 14 times higher than those in most other industrialized nations.

Overall, the author concludes the same thing applies to homicides and suicides: people regularly get involved in violence, and the presence of a gun is likely to elevate that to fatal levels. 

Worse still, using a gun in self-defense is extremely rare (most instances involve using a gun to defend against animals): studies place defensive gun use at about one percent in home invasions and 0.1 percent in sexual assaults. Moreover, police reports suggest a lot of these uses involvedinappropriate use of the gun.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/

The conclusion is clear. MANY THOUSANDS MORE HAVE BEEN HURT BY GUNS THAN HELPED BY THEM!

Wow, you  really are getting overly emotional and out of control aren't you ?    Good thing you don't own a gun !

By the way, here's a picture I took of my backyard patio.  I've got so many guns I've finally run out of room inside my house.  Just a few more purchases and I think I'll have enough guns    ......maybe.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:MANY

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

MANY THOUSANDS MORE HAVE BEEN HURT BY HUMANS THAN HELPED BY THEM!

fixed.

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:By the

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

By the way, here's a picture I took of my backyard patio.  I've got so many guns I've finally run out of room inside my house.  Just a few more purchases and I think I'll have enough guns    ......maybe.

O_O

That is a mind-boggling amount of guns...

Oh, what does the 'copyright AP' in the bottom right corner signify?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915

blacklight915 wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

O_O

Oh, what does the 'copyright AP' in the bottom right corner signify?

copyright associated press. he's being snarky. no self-respecting gun owner would ever leave a gun out in the elements.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915 wrote:

blacklight915 wrote:

O_O

I was just feeding a troll, sorry blacklight915.  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:... no

iwbiek wrote:
... no self-respecting gun owner would ever leave a gun out in the elements.

Absolutely correct.

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:I was

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I was just feeding a troll, sorry blacklight915.

Oh, lol, that's okay. Thanks for explaining.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I know there are some

Hey, I know there are some Canadians on here and it is nice to hear their gun laws, while not as strict as Europe, are closer to Europe than America. I recently watched a video commentary about guns and a Canadian chimed in and said handguns and assault rifles are banned in Canada.

Upon further inspection I see handguns under a certain length ARE banned in Canada and only 3% of Canadians own handguns! I wish it was like that here in America or like how in Israel, even with their history of terror attacks, they only have a gun ownership rate of 1 in 50 or 2%!

Notice with the stricter gun laws Canada doesn't have NEARLY the number of mass shootings America has had!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Absolutely correct.

Only a government could be responsible for such horror.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Absolutely correct.

Only a government could be responsible for such horror.

on a related note, i grew up in eastern kentucky.  if people like my father and my uncles couldn't take their rifles out and go deer hunting this time of year, it would only take a couple of years before we had a major.  fucking.  problem.

if you think rats are disease-carrying pests, they ain't got nothin' on deer run rampant.  sometimes even the hunting isn't enough.

i say this as someone who has never gone deer hunting, beyond taking a shot at one with a black powder rifle once when my uncle and i randomly saw some on his farm.  when the smoke cleared (which took a considerable amount of time), we found it had got away, though there were a few small drops of blood on the grass.  i have nothing at all against hunting--quite the opposite--but you have to get up too damn early and it's too damn cold up in those foothills.

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:   i say

iwbiek wrote:

i say this as someone who has never gone deer hunting, beyond taking a shot at one with a black powder rifle once when my uncle and i randomly saw some on his farm.  when the smoke cleared (which took a considerable amount of time), we found it had got away, though there were a few small drops of blood on the grass.  i have nothing at all against hunting--quite the opposite--but you have to get up too damn early and it's too damn cold up in those foothills.

I don't think I'm ready to make the jump to black powder firearms just yet but that could very well change.  My current gun collection is firmly steeped in the modern era but I have been seriously considering buying some high quality single-action revolvers chambered in 45 Long Colt. 

I'm even considering purchasing a good lever-action rifle.   Marlin makes a stainless steel lever action with a fairly short barrel ( like a brush gun ? ) chambered for 45-70 which I believe can fire bullets up to 400 grains.  I prefer to shoot the heaviest bullet possible for any caliber. 

Anyway, I never thought that I would ever get to the point that I would even be attracted to "obsolete" gun designs but these old style firearms are looking better and better.  Besides, no matter what Brian says, you can't have too many guns.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Hey,

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Hey, I know there are some Canadians on here and it is nice to hear their gun laws, while not as strict as Europe, are closer to Europe than America. I recently watched a video commentary about guns and a Canadian chimed in and said handguns and assault rifles are banned in Canada.

Upon further inspection I see handguns under a certain length ARE banned in Canada and only 3% of Canadians own handguns! I wish it was like that here in America or like how in Israel, even with their history of terror attacks, they only have a gun ownership rate of 1 in 50 or 2%!

Notice with the stricter gun laws Canada doesn't have NEARLY the number of mass shootings America has had!

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your particular itch with guns?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:I'm

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
I'm even considering purchasing a good lever-action rifle.   Marlin makes a stainless steel lever action with a fairly short barrel ( like a brush gun ? ) chambered for 45-70 which I believe can fire bullets up to 400 grains.

one of the most fun guns i ever shot was my friend's marlin 30-30 lever-action. i highly recommend it.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got into muzzle loaders

I got into muzzle loaders when I was 15 mostly because at that time it allowed you to buy an extra deer license. Mostly, I think it is just a pain in the ass. When you use black powder, the flame and huge cloud of smoke is pretty cool but completely impractical for hunting. For shooting at the range, I prefer to shoot much faster than 12 shots an hour.

Lever actions are another story. I inherited an old Winchester 94 from my grandfather, which is chambered in .30-30 and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Mostly,

Beyond Saving wrote:
Mostly, I think it is just a pain in the ass.

yeah, especially when it comes to cleaning!

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:...yeah,

iwbiek wrote:
...yeah, especially when it comes to cleaning!

Yeah, that was one of my reservations, too.    I saw a reprint in a gun magazine  of an old hand drawn illustration from an 18'th century newspaper where a man was depicted using hot water  ( boiling ? ) and actually pouring it down the bore to clean the powder residue.  No Hoppes #9 back then.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
...yeah, especially when it comes to cleaning!

Yeah, that was one of my reservations, too.    I saw a reprint in a gun magazine  of an old hand drawn illustration from an 18'th century newspaper where a man was depicted using hot water  ( boiling ? ) and actually pouring it down the bore to clean the powder residue.  No Hoppes #9 back then.

my father always detached the barrel of his .45 caplock and soaked it in the bathtub for a good hour or too.  of course, he had the old-fashioned heavy octagonal barrel.  maybe the more modern in-line caplocks, often with composite stocks and thinner, more sophisticated barrels, don't require so much trouble.

then again, my argument was always if your muzzle-loader looks almost identical to your bolt-action or semi-auto, what's the point?  unless, of course, like beyond said, you just want those extra couple weeks of deer season.

--Hunter S. Thompson

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
RatDog

RatDog wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

You can also use a shoulder-fired missile or hand grenade to scare people but those are not legal! Every other Western nation on earth realizes deadly weapons shouldn't be so easy to get ahold of. WE SHOULD REALIZE THAT TOO!!

What works for one nation doesn't necessarily work for another.  Different nations have different cultures, histories and values.  The US has a history with guns that isn't so easy to break.  There are a huge number of guns in the hands of private citizens and a large number of those citizens have strong feelings about gun ownership.  I don't see how any law you can make would change that.  

Also, outlawing guns isn't likely to happen.  Gun ownership is in the constitution, and all the people who value gun ownership will fight you tooth and nail.  Even if people somehow passed a law banning guns it would be unenforceable.  A lot of people wouldn't give them up voluntarily, and there are various ways to make and smuggle them.   I think that pushing through overly zealous anti gun laws has the potential to do a lot more harm then good. 

Lastly you need to consider the differences in values.  Is preventing deaths the only thing that matters.  What about freedom, and quality of life.  It seems like the mountain of regulations keeps growing and growing.  When does it stop, or is it just going to keep growing until eventually everything we do or don’t do is regulated by law. 

You bring up some good points and I agree that gun culture is very ingrained in America which is why we've had more mass shootings than any other nation on earth. You realize we had more people killed with guns in America the last hundred years then all the wars COMBINED?

Our founding fathers were very smart and they would have never put in a second Amendment if they knew it would end up killing MILLIONS of their own citizens! Why do you think they left religion out of our founding documents? Because they knew millions have been killed in Europe over religion! Plus you have to admit the 2nd amendment was written at a very different time when you still had bands of Native Americans roaming around and the imminent threat of British Invasion. None of that applies anymore!

I spoke to a very pro gun police officer about this once and he said the same things you did. He also said you would need a Columbine, VA Tech, or Newtown every week or 2 for MONTHS on end to have a gun ban which is very unlikely. It's nice to dream what it would be like if authorities went door to door and confiscated guns. They've done it in England and Austrailia and it clearly works since they've had NO mass shootings since their gun bans!

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
quote=Kapkao]JesusNEVERexiste

Kapkao wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your particular itch with guns?

I don't like the fact that any dumb redneck can walk in and buy a gun without a valid reason. Even in a nation like Israel that has had more terrorist attacks than any other nation on earth they require you need a reason to have a gun and it needs to be renewed every 6 months and you're only allowed a one time allotment of 50 bullets! That's why only 2 percent of Israelis own guns and they have ZERO mass shootings! Most all Western nations have similar restrictions and lo and behold they don't have the mass shootings or shootings we have!

Plus look at this amazing stat. Here is proof of what I said in the post above. There has been more gun deaths in America since 1968 that all wars combined going back to the Revolutionary War! UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jan/18/mark-shields/pbs-commentator-mark-shields-says-more-killed-guns/

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I don't like the fact that any dumb redneck can walk in and buy a gun without a valid reason.

"Dumb Redneck" ?  You think that only red necks ( ie, conservative whites ) own guns in America ?   Do you refer to African American gun owners as dumb niggers ?

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Even in a nation like Israel that has had more terrorist attacks than any other nation on earth they require you need a reason to have a gun and it needs to be renewed every 6 months and you're only allowed a one time allotment of 50 bullets! That's why only 2 percent of Israelis own guns...

You do know one of the major reasons that there is little to no terrorism in Israeli air ports is because they......wait for it..... PROFILE travelers based upon their religious and ethnic categories !!!!   OH NOES, call the ACLU !!!  That's discrimination !!!! LOL.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
...and they have ZERO mass shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Beersheba_shootings

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Most all Western nations have similar restrictions and lo and behold they don't have the mass shootings or shootings we have!

Well, get into your Prius ( with it's "Co-exist" bumper sticker ), drive north to Canada and you can live happy ever after.   Buh BYE !

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey you guys, there is a

Hey you guys, there is a special tonight (Sunday night) on CNN called "Global Lessons on Guns" at 7pm et and they talk about how NO nation on earth makes it so easy to get a gun as America and not surprisingly we lead the western world in gun deaths AND gun violence! It's very informative as we approach the 1 year anniversary of the Newtown massacre.

MORE GUNS=MORE GUN DEATHS & MORE GUN VIOLENCE

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another mindless debate

Another mindless debate attacking the symptoms rather than the cause.

Think about this, when someone is killed by gun violence, doesn't the food they eat go to hungry person, the home they lived in go to a homeless person, the job they had go to an unemployed person(the net effect)? So as horrific as a single homicide may be, how can you say there is a net harm from guns?

Such is life in a competitive society with population preasures.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Another mindless

EXC wrote:

Another mindless debate attacking the symptoms rather than the cause.

Think about this, when someone is killed by gun violence, doesn't the food they eat go to hungry person, the home they lived in go to a homeless person, the job they had go to an unemployed person(the net effect)? So as horrific as a single homicide may be, how can you say there is a net harm from guns?

Such is life in a competitive society with population preasures.

Another mindless and false claim by EXC. Lets tackle them 1 by 1.

EXC wrote:
Think about this, when someone is killed by gun violence, doesn't the food they eat go to hungry person,

No it doesn't. It gets thrown out.

EXC wrote:
the home they lived in go to a homeless person

No it doesn't. It gets claimed by the bank or a beneficiary.

EXC wrote:
the job they had go to an unemployed person(the net effect)

Just as often as it goes to an employed person or the position is removed completely.

Ignorant fool.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

MORE GUNS=MORE GUN DEATHS & MORE GUN VIOLENCE

Thanks for reminding me.  I just ordered two sets of replacement firing pins, extractors, cam pins, hammer and trigger springs, etc.  Gotta keep those "killing machines" of mine in working order...

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:No it doesn't.

Vastet wrote:
No it doesn't. It gets thrown out.

Yes of course, people love throwing money away.

Vastet wrote:
No it doesn't. It gets claimed by the bank or a beneficiary.

So it just sits empty? It doesn't mean one more available home on market. The banks just love thowing money away too?

Vastet wrote:
Just as often as it goes to an employed person or the position is removed completely. Ignorant fool.

So if the job they did was unnecessary, why did they even have a job in the first place? If an employed person takes the job, doesn't this mean one more available job on the market?

Anyone with a brain can see what an idiot you are. Zero understanding of markets and economics.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
1: Food does not equal

1: Food does not equal money.

2: It gets sold to someone. Anyone who can afford a house is certainly not homeless. A homeless person is just as certainly incapable of buying a house.

3: The elimination of a position does not imply the position was unnecessary.

Try again moron, even a brainless rock is smarter than you, and every brainless rock is smart enough to know it too.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The US homicide rate of 4.8

The US homicide rate of 4.8 in 2010 is still among the highest in the industrialized world. There were 14,748 homicides in the United States in 2010, including non-negligent manslaughter. More than 10,000 of those were gun murders! The homicide rate in the UK, France, and Germany are all around 1.0 or less! 33 people are killed EVERY DAY with guns in America! Many of those other nations only see around 33 gun deaths a YEAR!