Atheist "mega churches" ? Thoughts ?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist "mega churches" ? Thoughts ?

What are everyone's thoughts on this particular new thing ?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57611751/atheist-mega-churches-take-root-across-u.s-world/

Here is a quote from the article itself (and the rest can be found at the link) :

"There was so much about it that I loved, but it's a shame because at the heart of it, it's something I don't believe in," Jones said. "If you think about church, there's very little that's bad. It's singing awesome songs, hearing interesting talks, thinking about improving yourself and helping other people - and doing that in a community with wonderful relationships. What part of that is not to like?"

The movement dovetails with new studies that show an increasing number of Americans are drifting from any religious affiliation.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a criticism of it for example. By an Atheist

Here is a criticism of it for example. By an Atheist. This comment can also be found within the article :

That impulse, however, has raised the ire of those who have spent years pushing back against the idea that atheism itself is a religion.

"The idea that you're building an entire organization based on what you don't believe, to me, sounds like an offense against sensibility," said Michael Luciano, a self-described atheist who was raised Roman Catholic but left when he became disillusioned.

"There's something not OK with appropriating all of this religious language, imagery and ritual for atheism," said Luciano, who blogged about the movement at the site policymic.com.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
whatever they want to do is

whatever they want to do is fine with me.  isn't that what we're fighting for?  if they miss the culture, fellowship, and support of the church environment but want to have it without the god element, why not?  i hate going to church, i hate meetings in general, so it would never be my cup of tea, but why should i have a problem with those who genuinely love it?  the only thing that might piss me off is if they ever start asking to be tax-exempt.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
awkward

It may well give a new atheist a familier setting in order to ease away from their former god belief,  I see this as a good thing, sort of the minor leagues of atheisim. I always found church boring, even today  and I do have to sometimes attend for weddings and funerals, the god parts are still boring. I'm even tempted to grab a microphone and give an opposing point of view.  Yet I understand these "atheist churches" do not allow pro-god nor anti-god speaches, just fellowship and community;  they are actually more humanist then atheist.   Now before anyone asks, I regard atheists has more militant and aggressive then humanist {the polite non-believers}, I'm an atheist and I am not polite around people waving religion in my face, the polite part is for humanists.                                   

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?