Dawkins: Obama is really an atheist

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins: Obama is really an atheist

I hate stupid arguments like this one.

It boils down to "I agree with his policies, therefore he's an atheist"

Which is a close cousin to "No true scotsman"

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/25/richard-dawkins-warns-bill-maher-about-pope-francis-we-dont-want-nice-men-in-the-vatican/

Link added by Sapient: Add anything relevant to the page I created at celebatheists for him: Is Barack Obama an atheist?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:"No true

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

"No true scotsman"

wow, i haven't seen that phrase since kevin stopped coming around...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:It boils

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It boils down to "I agree with his policies, therefore he's an atheist"

Which is a close cousin to "No true scotsman"

I would have to agree with you on that one.  I would also say that it is indeed a no true scotsman.

While I may like Dawkins, I would have to say that simply because a pres simply seems to be more liberalistic in his views about everyone having their own belief (and knowing politics that is probably more of a way to get more votes) to leap to the conclusion that Obama must be an Atheist is a bit of a long shot.

It also seems rather irrelevant to me whether he is or not.

While I think a more secular society would be better, I don't know that to automatically default to an Atheist politician (which I don't see happening anytime soon in this country) would necessarily effect a positive change.

While I would not vote for an idiot like Mitt, I really think most of the voters were not thinking about magic underwear and mormons while heading to the polls. I mean look at some of those other candidates that were running. They were terrible in every way.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:While

harleysportster wrote:

While I would not vote for an idiot like Mitt, I really think most of the voters were not thinking about magic underwear and mormons while heading to the polls. I mean look at some of those other candidates that were running. They were terrible in every way.

Yes, look at Pres. Obama's 20 year association with controversial, white hating and Jew hating Reverend Jeremiah Wright.   Wright officiated Obama's marriage to Michelle and baptized their daughters.  Wright embraced Black Theology which is simply an ethnocentric bastardization of Christian theology in much the same way Christian Identity is embraced by white racists.

Obama only denounced Wright's inflammatory rhetoric when Wright's overt racism began to affect Obama's popularity.  Apparently it only took the intelligent,  Harvard educated Obama two decades to finally figure out that Wright was spewing his racist filth...and only then did Obama finally begin to public poo poo his lunatic preacher.  One has to wonder if Obama has truly repudiated Wright's racist theology or is simply distancing himself to ingratiate himself with non-black voters.  Surprisingly, being associated with hate speech is actually no big deal to "progressive" voters. 

One can only assume that in the end, it doesn't really matter to left-wing voters if their President is nothing more than a mixed race version of David Duke just as long as he's a progressive Democrat.

http://nypost.com/2010/06//27/obamas-race-rant-rev-rages-on/

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Obama only denounced Wright's inflammatory rhetoric when Wright's overt racism began to affect Obama's popularity.  Apparently it only took the intelligent,  Harvard educated Obama two decades to finally figure out that Wright was spewing his racist filth...and only then did Obama finally begin to public poo poo his lunatic preacher.  One has to wonder if Obama has truly repudiated Wright's racist theology or is simply distancing himself to ingratiate himself with non-black voters.  Surprisingly, being associated with hate speech is actually no big deal to "progressive" voters. 

Oh, I am certainly no fan of President Obama now. I guess I should have been more clear in the fact that if Obama was indeed an Atheist or the fact that Mitt's religious preferences of magic underwear, had little bearing on how I feel politically.

Truth to be told, I am actually stuck in a political purgatory.

I have gotten to where I really detest both of the parties and wish we could behave a bit more like the Europeans that have dozens in each election. (Not saying that Europe has got it right, but still)

There are some things that I agree with the right on and others that I agree with the left on.

Truth to be told, I am now of the opinion that neither is worth anything.

My overall point was that I would not be a fan of a political candidate simply because he would be an Atheist.

As a matter of fact, to rip off an old New Jersey term of : "Whadda are we, friends now ?" would be a semi-accurate analysis of someone who uses the word Atheist. I don't automatically default over to an idea that I might get along with someone simply because of that. I have encountered a couple in real life that I could not get along with at all.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
The presidency died with

The presidency died with Kennedy so, Obama being stupid, idiotic or a supposed atheist doesn't mean jack shit.

We've been shuffling around the same Wall Street mascots for the past 50+ years all rearranging the same bullshit from the previous fuck head.  Non-stop circle jerk and it's astounding that we even give a shit what the president is made of these days because his representation doesn't mean a damn thing to public interest.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

There are some things that I agree with the right on and others that I agree with the left on.

Well you have basically outlined my politics.   My views encompass both ends of the political spectrum but in ways that probably prevent me from being embraced by hard-core progressives or conservatives. Both would probably reject me for being to politically "diverse".   I am for giving gays the right to legally marry, I am for keeping abortion legal, I am for legalization of marijuana ( it makes me really mellow ) , I am for voluntary euthanasia, also I am against illegal immigration and am against automatic citizenship for anchor babies, I am against so-called Hate Crime laws, racial quotas and special treatment for any group, I believe the US penal system should follow the current Russian hell on earth,style of incarceration and there's no need for me to elaborate on my views regarding gun control laws as I am very open with you guys about that issue.

So yeah, I'm all over the place politically speaking.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote: We've

Sage_Override wrote:

We've been shuffling around the same Wall Street mascots for the past 50+ years all rearranging the same bullshit from the previous fuck head.  Non-stop circle jerk and it's astounding that we even give a shit what the president is made of these days because his representation doesn't mean a damn thing to public interest.

That has got to be the most accurate thing that I have heard about U.S. presidents in a long time. Thumbs up and I definitely agree.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Well you have basically outlined my politics.   My views encompass both ends of the political spectrum but in ways that probably prevent me from being embraced by hard-core progressives or conservatives. Both would probably reject me for being to politically "diverse".   I am for giving gays the right to legally marry, I am for keeping abortion legal, I am for legalization of marijuana ( it makes me really mellow ) , I am for voluntary euthanasia, also I am against illegal immigration and am against automatic citizenship for anchor babies, I am against so-called Hate Crime laws, racial quotas and special treatment for any group, I believe the US penal system should follow the current Russian hell on earth,style of incarceration and there's no need for me to elaborate on my views regarding gun control laws as I am very open with you guys about that issue.

So yeah, I'm all over the place politically speaking.

See, you have pretty much outlined the way that I look at 99% of it.

I am hated by the conservatives.

I am hated by the liberals.

And I am fast to the point where I can not tolerate either party and think this whole system is a joke.

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Obama is" Should not

"Obama is"

Should not matter, "no religious test" UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION'S OATH OF OFFICE.

Now while a legal citizen still has to apply to run and convince enough people to vote for him, there is NOTHING in the Constitution preventing an atheist, or Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist or ANYONE born in this country from legally making the attempt at that office.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"Obama

Brian37 wrote:

"Obama is"

Should not matter, "no religious test" UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION'S OATH OF OFFICE.

Now while a legal citizen still has to apply to run and convince enough people to vote for him, there is NOTHING in the Constitution preventing an atheist, or Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist or ANYONE born in this country from legally making the attempt at that office.

Some of us have the primitive idea that our elected officials shouldn't lie to us, especially about their fundamental beliefs. Since a person's religion often plays a huge role in their lives and in their political philosophy, I think it is quite relevant whether they are being honest about their religious beliefs. Just because the Constitution doesn't ban a person from being President doesn't mean that the voters should elect him or her. I would rather have an honest communist as president like Bernie Sanders than someone who routinely lies about everything to protect their image. And there are certain religions that I would never vote for someone who was a follower of them because their worldviews are so contrary to what I believe that a follower of them could not possibly share my political views.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X