Anyone hear of the atheist rap artist "Rational Warrior"?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Anyone hear of the atheist rap artist "Rational Warrior"?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Young Inc, another atheist

Young Inc, another atheist rapper.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Rap sucks.

Rap sucks.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
i like "atheist" music as

i like "atheist" music as much as i like "christian" music.  music that beats you over the head with a certain ideological position is contrived and terrible.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Rap sucks. No,

Vastet wrote:
Rap sucks.

 

No, that is merely your taste.  I used to be monochromatic myself as far as music, not anymore. Now I will say it is not my taste, but I have heard some rap songs, like country, that were well made with great messages.

 

The truth is those at the top, the bigger the artist, if you look in their libraries, YOU WILL NOT find one type of music.

 

Just say it isn't your taste, I can understand that.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i like

iwbiek wrote:

i like "atheist" music as much as i like "christian" music.  music that beats you over the head with a certain ideological position is contrived and terrible.

Anything repeated can impact society. But music can also transcend as well. I am not a fan of either/or propositions.

 

Does anyone really think "Fade To Black" is meant to tell people to kill themselves? Does anyone really think that "I shot the sheriff" means "go shoot cops".

 

Rap is like any other style of music, and it is not all "gangsta". Anymore than the song "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS" a hard rock song also represents Queen or Rush.

 

I have less of a reason, for example, to hate all country music because of ABBA's prior memberships in a band called "The Hootenannies".

 

Point being, you don't have to like an artist, or a message, but music changes precisely because it is diverse. The bands you like now are always a result of bands prior, and your stile of music was not around 100 years ago so it came from other styles.

 

Don't be a Ted Cruz, and miss the message like he did, "I do not like Green Eggs and Ham", was not about someone shoving something down your throat, but "Hey may I suggest you try something new".

 

I have come to like bits of everything. I have my favorites some more than others, but I don't count something out solely based on a style. It always depends on the song itself and the artist.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Rap sucks.

 

No, that is merely your taste.  I used to be monochromatic myself as far as music, not anymore. Now I will say it is not my taste, but I have heard some rap songs, like country, that were well made with great messages.

 

The truth is those at the top, the bigger the artist, if you look in their libraries, YOU WILL NOT find one type of music.

 

Just say it isn't your taste, I can understand that.

 

 

Wrong. Rap sucks.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:  Wrong. Rap

Vastet wrote:

 

 Wrong. Rap sucks.

 

    Agreed.   I don't give a shit whether they're rapping about atheism or not.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Rap sucks.

 

No, that is merely your taste.  I used to be monochromatic myself as far as music, not anymore. Now I will say it is not my taste, but I have heard some rap songs, like country, that were well made with great messages.

 

The truth is those at the top, the bigger the artist, if you look in their libraries, YOU WILL NOT find one type of music.

 

Just say it isn't your taste, I can understand that.

 

 

Wrong. Rap sucks.

 

Ok Ted Cruz, "I do not like green eggs and ham"

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
     You're musical

 

   Your musical tastes are your own.  Just as your political tastes are.   It's not my fault your "tastes" suck in both areas.

 

  

                                                     ps, remember, you can't spell "crap" without "rap".

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

   Your musical tastes are your own.  Just as your political tastes are.   It's not my fault your "tastes" suck in both areas.

 

Which is why music NEVER changes, because there is always a right and wrong. And like theists, it just so happens music that is good happens to be what you like.

 

You sound exactly like my co-worker soul/rap fans who act like I murdered their family for playing 5 seconds of ABBA.

 

Rock/rap/country DID NOT EXIST 200 years ago. And what you think is good music now, your kids or younger generations will look at the "crap" you like and shit on it like you are now with what you don't like.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You sound

Brian37 wrote:

 

You sound exactly like my co-worker soul/rap fans who act like I murdered their family for playing 5 seconds of ABBA.

 

 

            At work I use an I-Pod with ear buds, no one hears my music.   Problem solved.

 

Brian37 wrote:
And what you think is good music now, your kids or younger generations will look at the "crap" you like and shit on it like you are now with what you don't like.

 

 

                                                            Then I guess really shouldn't be too concerned about it...

 

 

 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:
Rock/rap/country DID NOT EXIST 200 years ago. And what you think is good music now, your kids or younger generations will look at the "crap" you like and shit on it like you are now with what you don't like.

Nope. Truly good music is timeless. Rap and country are both shitty fads. They will die, and be replaced by something equally shitty. But the good stuff lives forever.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Rock/rap/country DID NOT EXIST 200 years ago. And what you think is good music now, your kids or younger generations will look at the "crap" you like and shit on it like you are now with what you don't like.
Nope. Truly good music is timeless. Rap and country are both shitty fads. They will die, and be replaced by something equally shitty. But the good stuff lives forever.

 

Wrong. Again that is your own personal taste.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
^Still wrong.

^Still wrong.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Rap and country

Vastet wrote:
Rap and country are both shitty fads. They will die, and be replaced by something equally shitty. But the good stuff lives forever.

country is hardly a fad.  the first country records were waxed at least as early as 1923, when fiddlin' john carson cut "the little old log cabin in the lane," not to mention the fact that country's roots are largely in english and scottish ballads, which are at least as old as the eighteenth century.  see the collections of francis child, carl sandburg, and john jacob niles if you don't believe me.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Fads can last a long time.

Fads can last a long time. The current perception of democracy, for example, has existed for hundreds of years as well.
But they are still fads. They will still die. The good music will still remain strong. It will even gain strength as time goes on.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

   Your musical tastes are your own.  Just as your political tastes are.   It's not my fault your "tastes" suck in both areas.

 

  

                                                     ps, remember, you can't spell "crap" without "rap".

 

I am quite sure that Areosmith and RUN DMC are on the skids because they ignored your advice. Which is why Yngwie Malmsteen never did an ABBA cover. OH WAIT!

Sell some records first, then you can bitch.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: country is

iwbiek wrote:

 

country is hardly a fad.  the first country records were waxed at least as early as 1923, when fiddlin' john carson cut "the little old log cabin in the lane," not to mention the fact that country's roots are largely in english and scottish ballads, which are at least as old as the eighteenth century.  see the collections of francis child, carl sandburg, and john jacob niles if you don't believe me.

  I know you were addressing Vastet and I have no reason to doubt your knowledge regarding the roots of country music.  No argument from me.  

 My personal musical tastes most certainly excludes country music in all its various shades.   I grew up in Texas and had parents that loved that stuff.  It just never took with me and I've heard it all my life.  Just because country has a "pedigree" doesn't mean diddly to me ( no offense )

  I listen to some pretty unsophisticated sounding metal bands, I also listen to techno-pop, art-rock, industrial metal, 80's New Wave yadda yadda all of which will probably fade into obscurity.  Who really cares, though ?   It's art not science.  Value is assigned arbitrarily and by whim...not by logic.

  

    Plus I like to yank Brian's chain when he becomes a little too sanctimonious ( see above post )

 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I am quite

Brian37 wrote:

 

I am quite sure that Areosmith and RUN DMC are on the skids because they ignored your advice. Which is why Yngwie Malmsteen never did an ABBA cover. OH WAIT!

 

      Bands cover other bands all the time.   The famous Rolling stones song "Satisfaction" has been covered by Devo, Oingo Boingo, Britney Spears and numerous others.   The Nu-Metal band known as Dope did a cover of the thoroughly "gay" sounding "You Spin Me Right Round" by Dead or Alive.   The very avante-garde Nina Hagen  did a cover of "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, Marilyn Manson did a cover of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus",  the band Orgy did a cover of "Blue Monday" by New Order, etc....     

 

                                                 to my knowledge none of them has covered ABBA.   Does that bother you ?

 

 

Brain37 wrote:
Sell some records first, then you can bitch.

 

 

                                            You're bitching like crazy bro,   ...so how many records have you sold again ?

 

 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

                                                 to my knowledge none of them has covered ABBA.   Does that bother you ?

yeah, for the last...six months?  a year?  it feels like a fucking eternity...every second comment outta brian (on average) has been abba this, abba that, abba is the fuckin'greatest.  then when people finally get sick of hearing it and tell him so, he starts with his self-appointed, masochistic martyr shit, "go ahead!  persecute me like all the jocks did growing up!"  (which has to be exaggerated...nobody is going to go out of their way to torment someone constantly over their taste in music.  if brian is anything in real life like he is on here, i'm sure him liking abba was not the root of the problem.)

it's a very christian tactic, really.  we read how christians under the romans, the turkish sultans, etc., practically tripped over each other trying to get martyred.  under the turks, they used to go before judges uninvited and start badmouthing muhammad until the poor judge, who was usually just trying desperately to get them to shut up and go home, had no choice but to make an example of them.

iow, making a nuisance of yourself unprovoked until someone tells you to give it a rest is not persecution (except maybe for the poor bastard who has to listen to your bullshit).

 

 

Brain37 wrote:
Sell some records first, then you can bitch.

 

 

ah yes, the classic bullshit cop-out.  make sure you tell the next victim of medical malpractice, "get an MD first, then you can bitch."

 

 

 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Corporate Avenger is a group

Corporate Avenger is a group that I recommend you all listen to.

 

As far as rap is concerned, I like old school stuff, but the modern shit is just that.  Country has always been a joke with the exception of Johnny Cash who even the hardest metal heads like myself can't argue with how cool he was. 

 

Artists that sell their records based on their ideological views tend to be geared towards people that take themselves way too seriously or have more of an inflated ego/love affair with their beliefs than their target audience.  Therefore, screw "atheist" or "christian" bands/groups/a capella formations/all-boys choirs/etc. 

 

Oh, and whoever listens to ABBA on a regular basis should probably check and see if mental illness runs in their family.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Twisting the knife...

Twisting the knife...

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
I thought most rappers were

I thought most rappers were atheist, or at least not religious. Ghost BC is atheist too... but so is 99% of the genre.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Country

Sage_Override wrote:

Country has always been a joke with the exception of Johnny Cash who even the hardest metal heads like myself can't argue with how cool he was. 

ugh, when people say "i hate country but johnny cash was cool," what they really mean is "my whole knowledge of country extends to drunken rednecks belting out 'friends in low places' and a few youtube videos i watched of johnny cash after walk the line came out."

until you've truly delved into and meditated on the catalogs of waylon jennings, merle haggard, george jones, jerry lee lewis (yes, his country years), willie nelson, kris kristofferson, townes van zandt, guy clark, billy joe shaver, roger miller and jerry jeff walker, you have no idea how hard country can be, without even employing the obvious cue of squealing guitars. 

townes van zandt deadpanning his way through "nothin'" with just an acoustic guitar and fingerpicks makes "until it sleeps" sound like "accentuate the positive."  my problem with metal is that it's too fuckin' obvious.  the lead guitarist in my first (and best) country band was incredibly talented and had played heavy metal for about 25 years, especially speed metal.  he told me several times that country lead guitar is not only more difficult to play, but more valuable because it refines your whole way of playing any type of lead guitar.   

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ugh, when

iwbiek wrote:

ugh, when people say "i hate country but johnny cash was cool," what they really mean is "my whole knowledge of country extends to drunken rednecks belting out 'friends in low places' and a few youtube videos i watched of johnny cash after walk the line came out."

until you've truly delved into and meditated on the catalogs of waylon jennings, merle haggard, george jones, jerry lee lewis (yes, his country years), willie nelson, kris kristofferson, townes van zandt, guy clark, billy joe shaver, roger miller and jerry jeff walker, you have no idea how hard country can be, without even employing the obvious cue of squealing guitars.

 

That twangy bullshit in nearly every country song has created a stinging pain in my ear drums every time I hear it along with every annoying drawl country singers have.  Topped off with "my pick up truck died, my sister gets beat, feed me whiskey until jesus calls me home" lyrics, you got a perfect storm of hatred on my end that no amount of justification can bring back from the brink, my friend.  You can keep your Jennings and Haggard because I would rather pull out my toe nails with rusty pliers while lighting my dick on fire than ever listen to any of their songs or songs like theirs.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I

Beyond Saving wrote:
I thought most rappers were atheist, or at least not religious.

 

Fucking hell, your narrow mind is staggeringly frightening.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:"my pick

Sage_Override wrote:

"my pick up truck died, my sister gets beat, feed me whiskey until jesus calls me home" lyrics

which make up virtually none of the lyrical content in the vast catalogs of pretty much every artist i mentioned.

 

Sage Override wrote:

You can keep your Jennings and Haggard because I would rather pull out my toe nails with rusty pliers while lighting my dick on fire than ever listen to any of their songs or songs like theirs.

 

really?  and which songs of theirs do you have a problem with, exactly?  because i'm willing to bet your whole knowledge of waylon extends to the dukes of hazzard theme, which he admits was shamelessly done for money when his finances were at an ebb (sort of like metallica peddling something years ago--i can't remember what exactly, but i remember in the commercial they were stuck in a semi trailer), and your whole knowledge of haggard "okie from muskogee," which was written as a joke and which only the idiot nixonites took seriously.

you don't like the sound, that's fine, but calling country a joke is something that can't be taken seriously.  any talented, serious musician i've ever met who plays any style of music, including metal, even if they never play country in any shape or form, has expressed admiration for country and cited at least one or two country artists as influences.  i'm willing to bet if you dig deep enough on any of the great metal musicians you admire, you're going to read them praising hank williams or jimmie rodgers or someone like that.  in fact, any musician (not man on the street, mind you, but musician) who tells me they hate country automatically makes their proficiency suspect in my mind, and so far i've been proved right everytime--they've always been technically terrible musicians.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
I was having a discussion

I was having a discussion with my girlfriend about country and why it bothered me so much so I'll give you the watered down version, iwbiek.

 

The evolution of it's roots has been the least progressive in history.  It didn't start to really change, and for the worst, until the 90s when it got to the point of absolute commercialism with the Grand Ole Opry and CMT where these Nashville dredges started making these hackneyed ballads with relation to the lyrics I mentioned about trucks and sister beatings.  Before that, it was actually a form of expression rather than a quick buck that rednecks could drink Bud Light to.  Now it's a horrid melodic stain in my eyes. 

 

That being said, just because I'd rather get mauled by a wolverine on PCP than listen to any of the musicians you seem to hold in high regards doesn't mean I don't appreciate the real effort and influence they've pumped into the music world.  I can ridicule the sound all I want, but the real contempt is aimed at, and saved up, for the modern fucks that shit on the "greats" you have respect for.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"townes van zandt

"townes van zandt deadpanning his way through "nothin'" with just an acoustic guitar and fingerpicks makes "until it sleeps" sound like "accentuate the positive.""

Metallica was already dead by the time they released Load. Sad

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:I was

Sage_Override wrote:

I was having a discussion with my girlfriend about country and why it bothered me so much so I'll give you the watered down version, iwbiek.

 

The evolution of it's roots has been the least progressive in history.  It didn't start to really change, and for the worst, until the 90s when it got to the point of absolute commercialism with the Grand Ole Opry and CMT where these Nashville dredges started making these hackneyed ballads with relation to the lyrics I mentioned about trucks and sister beatings.  Before that, it was actually a form of expression rather than a quick buck that rednecks could drink Bud Light to.  Now it's a horrid melodic stain in my eyes. 

 

That being said, just because I'd rather get mauled by a wolverine on PCP than listen to any of the musicians you seem to hold in high regards doesn't mean I don't appreciate the real effort and influence they've pumped into the music world.  I can ridicule the sound all I want, but the real contempt is aimed at, and saved up, for the modern fucks that shit on the "greats" you have respect for.

then, i have to say, we're cool.

i disagree with your assertion that country went virtually unchanged until the '90s, but that's a matter of detailed history that obviously you have little interest in, just as i can only chart the development of, say, metal or hip-hop in very broad strokes.  i do agree with you, however, that the '90s marked the beginning of the end for country as a genre with any integrity (which explains why, as someone who went through his adolescence in the '90s, i hated country growing up).  there are musicians who still make real country music, like old crow medicine show and justin townes earle, but they've been driven underground and some people even have the gall to refer to them as "alternative country."  their songs get virtually no mainstream radio play until, like in the case of old crow medicine show, some fucking piece-of-shit dickwad poser like darius rucker (a.k.a. hootie) comes along and covers one of your songs with barely a mention of you in the press.

sorry, i know this is not on-topic, but my blood is up now that i'm thinking of darius rucker.  that asshole is so full of shit.  his cliche '90s pop-rock band sold what little they had left of their credibility to burger king in 2002 or 2003, and now he's trying to cross over into the country world because most country fans have barely heard of hootie and the blowfish.  we're talking about a guy who shamelessly ripped off almost an entire verse of "only wanna be with you" from bob dylan's "idiot wind."

fuck you, hootie.  rot in hell.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
   As an afterthought, I

   As an afterthought, I forgot to mention that I recently bypassed my normal aversion to anything  sounding like C&W by mentioning to my brother that I heard a song ( "Highway Patrol" ) by some guy named Junior Brown.  My brother burned me a CD and I listened to it and, paradoxically, liked it.  Junior Brown also seems to have achieved some cross over into the tattooed, biker, rock-a-billy crowd as well.  Anyway I enjoyed the CD ( surprisingly )

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i disagree with

iwbiek wrote:

i disagree with your assertion that country went virtually unchanged until the '90s, but that's a matter of detailed history that obviously you have little interest in, just as i can only chart the development of, say, metal or hip-hop in very broad strokes.  i do agree with you, however, that the '90s marked the beginning of the end for country as a genre with any integrity (which explains why, as someone who went through his adolescence in the '90s, i hated country growing up).  there are musicians who still make real country music, like old crow medicine show and justin townes earle, but they've been driven underground and some people even have the gall to refer to them as "alternative country."  their songs get virtually no mainstream radio play until, like in the case of old crow medicine show, some fucking piece-of-shit dickwad poser like darius rucker (a.k.a. hootie) comes along and covers one of your songs with barely a mention of you in the press.

sorry, i know this is not on-topic, but my blood is up now that i'm thinking of darius rucker.  that asshole is so full of shit.  his cliche '90s pop-rock band sold what little they had left of their credibility to burger king in 2002 or 2003, and now he's trying to cross over into the country world because most country fans have barely heard of hootie and the blowfish.  we're talking about a guy who shamelessly ripped off almost an entire verse of "only wanna be with you" from bob dylan's "idiot wind."

fuck you, hootie.  rot in hell.

 

Hehe, yeah, we're on opposite ends of the spectrum in relation to the genres we get really anal about so, it's not biggy.  I have my blood pressure checked monthly to make sure I'm not at risk for some form of stroke or heart attack when some cock sucking monkey grinding corporate cock sucker comes out with some awful, shrill, soft-as-a-marashmallow tune that just crushes me inside showing how my beloved music has degenerated into something that I want no part of and even feel shame for living on the same planet as. 

 

Also, I'm right there with you; FUCK HOOTIE.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Beyond

Sage_Override wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
I thought most rappers were atheist, or at least not religious.

 

Fucking hell, your narrow mind is staggeringly frightening.

Lol, says the person who just spent several posts bitching about an entire genre of music. Am I wrong? Is there some huge popular uprising of bible thumping rap?  

You were a lot smarter when you were just posting gibberish.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Lol,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Lol, says the person who just spent several posts bitching about an entire genre of music. Am I wrong? Is there some huge popular uprising of bible thumping rap?  

You were a lot smarter when you were just posting gibberish.

 

...and you were a lot smarter before you were even a glimmer in the beer swilling trailer park hillbilly's eye that had a go with your mother in the hay loft, you stone age thinking jerk off.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ugh, when

iwbiek wrote:

ugh, when people say "i hate country but johnny cash was cool," what they really mean is "my whole knowledge of country extends to drunken rednecks belting out 'friends in low places' and a few youtube videos i watched of johnny cash after walk the line came out."

until you've truly delved into and meditated on the catalogs of waylon jennings, merle haggard, george jones, jerry lee lewis (yes, his country years), willie nelson, kris kristofferson, townes van zandt, guy clark, billy joe shaver, roger miller and jerry jeff walker, you have no idea how hard country can be, without even employing the obvious cue of squealing guitars. 

 

Those are my feelings on the matter 100%. While I have a tendency to despise these celebs that will say something like: "Oh I like--and then spout a bunch of eclectic shit." I will have to say that I do like a lot of different styles of music.

With the exception of rap, there is pretty much a little bit of everything that finds its way into my headphones.

However, I have heard plenty of people say the stereotypical : "I hate country but Johnny Cash was the man." kind of lines and those irritate me to no end.

However, I will say that I was NOT a fan of Johnny Cash, love metal, and love country.

I have noticed (and not for the sexual reasons) but the women of country make their way into my players the most. Loretta, Reba, Emmylou, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Patty Loveless, and dozens of others.

I even like some of that mid 90s country (with the exception of that dickhead Garth Brooks) and this modern day pop country that everyone hates. Sorry, but it is true.  I PRETENDED to only tolerate the sounds of Taylor Swift when my teenage niece first played her. But, I would be a total liar if I said that I did not tap my foot to it. Smiling

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I even

harleysportster wrote:
I even like some of that mid 90s country (with the exception of that dickhead Garth Brooks) and this modern day pop country that everyone hates.

 

More of a Chris Gaines fan, eh?  I knew it

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:
.

However, I will say that I was NOT a fan of Johnny Cash, love metal, and love country.

 

      I was never actually a fan of Johnny Cash and his music but I was a fan of Johnny Cash the man.   Even back in the late 60's when he hosted his TV show he brought on musical guests who were not actually part of the "hard core" country music genre, like Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, even the Monkees.   I thought that was pretty cool of him to allow some of the musicians who were part of the counterculture of that time to get on stage before an audience who I presume may not have been the most appreciative.

 

      The only song by Cash that I really enjoyed was his cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" which he recorded shortly before his death in 2003.  Hate to admit it but it actually brought a tear to my eye the first time I watched it .   www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95D7leeU3w

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:  More

Sage_Override wrote:

 

 

More of a Chris Gaines fan, eh?  I knew it

Now I would not go THAT far Smiling

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

      The only song by Cash that I really enjoyed was his cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" which he recorded shortly before his death in 2003.  Hate to admit it but it actually brought a tear to my eye the first time I watched it .   www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95D7leeU3w

I enjoyed his version of that song with the video and the realization of old age. The clips of him as a younger man along with the clips of him now are quite emotional.

But I did like the NIN version just as much.

I know that people often will argue about which version is better, but to me, they both stand on their own and are actually different songs.

Johnny Cash's version seems to hint more at old age, passing time, and death.

Reznor's seems to hint more at the hells of addiction, ruined lives and death.

Either version, my favorite line of the song is : "If I could start again. A million miles away, I would keep myself. I would find a way."

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno