Through the Wormhole: Did god create evolution?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Through the Wormhole: Did god create evolution?

Did any one watch this recently? I saw they had the same "scientist" from the Dover/Intelligent Design again (the one I mentioned recently on the other thread) about things in nature that are "so complex that they must be made by ID".

They also had a few other "doctors" on who claimed that god did exist because of the complexity of the Universe.

Well I thought it was a good show but I had several questions for the faith based "scientists".

#1 - which god?

#2 - when are you going to prove your god exists?

Here is the video

science.discovery.com/tv-shows/through-the-wormhole/videos/did-god-create-evolution.htm

I know that the show is trying to show both sides of the coin, but the one "scientist" has already been disassembled and his ideas are false.

The other one had some good ideas, which I agreed on; he also had some things which were bat shit crazy, but either way I'm left asking "why do you need a god for that?"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm actually starting to

i'm actually starting to regret my glowing praise of this show.  as i recall, the first season was pure gold, with nothing but fascinating, respectable scientific theories, and for a long time, the first season was all i'd seen.  then i downloaded the second season a couple weeks ago and boom!  first episode, there's hameroff (penrose, not surprisingly, was not interviewed) peddling his "quantum consciousness" hoo-ha.  granted, the show also presented the physicalist viewpoint, but i felt a bit betrayed that hameroff was given a forum at all.  i mean, do we need to put someone like john edwards on a science program just to be "fair"?  because, imo, hameroff is one step away.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I mostly stopped watching

I mostly stopped watching all the so-called educational networks in the early 2000's when they stopped being both educational and entertaining. Now they're dumb and either boring or infuriating.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm actually

iwbiek wrote:

i'm actually starting to regret my glowing praise of this show.  as i recall, the first season was pure gold, with nothing but fascinating, respectable scientific theories, and for a long time, the first season was all i'd seen.  then i downloaded the second season a couple weeks ago and boom!  first episode, there's hameroff (penrose, not surprisingly, was not interviewed) peddling his "quantum consciousness" hoo-ha.  granted, the show also presented the physicalist viewpoint, but i felt a bit betrayed that hameroff was given a forum at all.  i mean, do we need to put someone like john edwards on a science program just to be "fair"?  because, imo, hameroff is one step away.

I agree. I actually had hope when the first season of this show came out. Now, it looks like it is giving in to the same pseudo-scientific bullshit that all the others have given into.

Worse, I encounter so many fucktards that read nothing, study nothing and know nothing, that will watch shit on the Discovery/History channel and act like they are experts on the subject.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm actually

iwbiek wrote:

I agree. I thought this show would be nothing but 100% science, but the idea of "irreducible complexity" has already been shown to be a complete and utterly ridiculous idea. Having Michael Behe on the show as a "scientist" really reduced my opinion of the show.

Then the other scientist was explaining how complex the patterns are in every day objects and how a choir can't function with out a "higher" power controlling them. This made no sense to me that a choir could not function with out a director. The fact is that a choir COULD function with out a director.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductorless_orchestra

Silly bullshit. I'm disappointed in the show.

As for the "complex patterns in life", it doesn't prove a god. That's like saying "the human ear is so complex" or "the human eye"... bullshit.

On a side note, I was thinking, if we use their example of how a choir needs a director to control the tempo which is their explanation how "god" controls life, then there must be thousands of gods conducting life.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I agree. I actually had hope when the first season of this show came out. Now, it looks like it is giving in to the same pseudo-scientific bullshit that all the others have given into.

Worse, I encounter so many fucktards that read nothing, study nothing and know nothing, that will watch shit on the Discovery/History channel and act like they are experts on the subject.

I agree with you on the pseudo-scientific bullshit. Some of the stuff they have been presenting isn't even theory or they were old ideas already shot down.

As for the fucktards who act like they are experts on the subject, I've yet to meet one and hope I never do.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Did Thor create the

Did Thor create the wormhole? Did Horus create the wormhole? Did Allah create the wormhole? Did my invisible snarfwidgit create the wormhole?

Humans make up god/s.

Bullshit is bullshit, be it old myth or si fi woo.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Cosmos: A Personal Voyage

Cosmos: A Personal Voyage was the only real program that was worthy of being deemed "educational" because Carl Sagan is/was the man, but that's just my two cents...

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Cosmos:

Sage_Override wrote:

Cosmos: A Personal Voyage was the only real program that was worthy of being deemed "educational" because Carl Sagan is/was the man, but that's just my two cents...

Yeah and don't forget Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World.