50 reasons people give for believing in a god

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
50 reasons people give for believing in a god

On another thread, Caposkia indicated he would be willing to discuss this book with me. I did not want to make this a one on one discussion as I feel it might be interesting to have input from other people. I do request that we don't all gang up on Caposkia, however. Give him a break to participate in other threads, and I am certain he has a life elsewhere.

My thought is to go through Guy Harrison's book and discuss his responses to the 50 reasons in as much detail as we (Caposkia and I) feel is necessary. Some of the chapters we may have more in common with each other and Mr. Harrison, so the discussion may be very short. Other chapters we may have a lot to say to each other.

In order to respect copyright laws, I am not going to copy the entire text of any of the chapters here. Copies are available in print and electronic format for about $10 US. Please consider purchasing a copy - not pirating it - to respect the author. I will give a short summary of a chapter, we can discuss it to death, then move on to the next. If you are interested in seeing how accurate I am, feel free to purchase your own copy. Thanks.

Lastly, I am on Pacific Daylight Time and I, too, have a life elsewhere. Classes are over for the spring term and I am not taking a summer class, so I have time to give this discussion some thought. I will post up the first chapter summary tomorrow afternoon my time.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I realize

caposkia wrote:

I realize this is stemming off the other thread... I'm sorry, I will try from here on out to keep more of a focus on the purpose of this thread

Agreed.  Tangent avoided.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nu 49 -- Well, Isn't that special . . .

Nu 49

snl's  Church lady  See :: Image

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
> μιλάτε ελληνικά ( miláte elli̱niká )

caposkia wrote:

Be it that there are many quotes that are not fully or clearly understood in English or our language as it is today, people can also manipulate it a lot easier pretending they know more about what was said than they do.

::

caposkia wrote:

I challenge my fellow Christians all the time as some also do me.  Those who very greatly from the core beliefs I understand typically don't like to discuss it.... wonder why????.... Sticking out tongue  

:

caposkia wrote:

no matter how busy you get... though it is said that if Satan can't make you sin, He'll make you busy.   Takes time away from yourself when spending time for yourself is important.

:

. . .

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:"You" are about 1

cj wrote:

"You" are about 1 trillion human cells and more than 100 trillion other cells - bacteria, fungi, arthropods (bugs, e.g.), and viruses. We are specks compared to the total weight of the earth, and even smaller specks in comparison to the universe. Time wise we are also just of shorter lifespan than a mayfly. Even if you believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, your life span is still very short in comparison. If you use the real age of the earth of over 4 billion years - well. We are not even mayflies.

There are many people who are comforted by the idea that there is some infinite, all-powerful entity who actually is larger than the universe(s) and cares for them and takes an interest in their personal lives. Their fears of death are soothed by the idea of eternal life or a circle of life in reincarnation.

Why be intimidated by the reality of the universe? Embrace it and stand tall. You don't need a god/s/dess to find a place for yourself.

References

Sagan, Carl. Cosmos. New York: Random House, 2002.

Tyson, Neil deGrasse, and Donald Goldsmith. Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2004.

---------------

(for clarity, from now on I will separate the summary from my personal comments)

I have read Cosmos and I think I will take some time to reread it. I haven't read the other, but it sounds interesting.

Personally, I feel pity for those who can not find significance and affirmation through their family, friends, work, hobbies, etc. For those who can feel engaged and fulfilled with their life here and now on earth, and still feel the need of a god/s/dess to "inspire," "transcend," "explain," and so on, why is that necessary? The universe is inspiring without the presence of said god/s/dess. The scientific explanation (see deGrasse Tyson) is as grandiose as anyone could wish and having an explanation does not take away awe or inspiration. Like most other people, I can focus on my little speck of the universe in my day to day activities. Or I can expand my thoughts to the entire earth, Solar system, Milky Way, or universe and contemplate my insignificance from the viewpoint of being cradled by my family and fulfilled life.

For me, inserting god/s/dess just clutters up the view.

This doesn't even seem applicable, but I'll try to respond to it.  

To know God does not suggest that we cannot or should not embrace the reality of the universe or the world around us.  YEC"s are not a part of what I believe and it is said in scripture that we are miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but that God even knows when a single dove falls, so how much more important are we to Him then they? 

The biggest mistake I've found non-believers to make is to assume that believers feel the need of a god/s/dess to "inspire, "transcent, "explain," and so on.  But if God does exist, whether or not we feel a need for Him to inspire, transcend, explain etc.  He still exists.  We believe His existence is not dependent on us and our needs.  Like the stars in the sky, He's there whether we find need for Him or not.  

The question should be; 'Does He exist?'  NOT; 'why should He exist?'.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:This doesn't

caposkia wrote:

This doesn't even seem applicable, but I'll try to respond to it.  

To know God does not suggest that we cannot or should not embrace the reality of the universe or the world around us.  YEC"s are not a part of what I believe and it is said in scripture that we are miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but that God even knows when a single dove falls, so how much more important are we to Him then they? 

The biggest mistake I've found non-believers to make is to assume that believers feel the need of a god/s/dess to "inspire, "transcent, "explain," and so on.  But if God does exist, whether or not we feel a need for Him to inspire, transcend, explain etc.  He still exists.  We believe His existence is not dependent on us and our needs.  Like the stars in the sky, He's there whether we find need for Him or not.  

The question should be; 'Does He exist?'  NOT; 'why should He exist?'.  

I was not assuming that all believers feel this way, but I have spoke with some who do.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chapter 6 - Atheism is just another religion

"It takes more faith not to believe in a god than to believe."

Unless you use a definition for religion that might include the local chess club, atheism is not a religion. Religion involves a belief in a deity - some atheists may say it might be possible for a deity to exist, but that does not imply belief.

Science is not a god - it can't be. Science is a process, the process of how we figure things out. No entity involved. So science is not some entity one worships, but a series of steps for figuring out how things work.

Atheists don't worship humans, either, as some believers have claimed. This might be from an aversion to secular humanism. Some believers get very uptight about secular humanism. Well, some non-believers do as well.

Mr. Harrison finds their principles to be positive and forward thinking. He finishes the chapter by confessing he has a belief about gods - they don't exist. He has no proof, he can't know this. But he believes it. But this belief is not his religion as he has none.

References

"The Affirmation of Humanism: A Statement of Principles." The Council for Secular Humanism, http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=main&page=affirmations.

Dawkins, Richard. A Devil's Chaplain. New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2003.

Robinson, B. A. "Definitions of the Word 'Religion.'" Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, Religious Tolerance.org, http://religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm

Smith, George. H. Atheism: The Case Against God. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books, 1989.

Wilson, Edward G. Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge. New York: Vintage Books, 1999.

---------------

You can see a definition for Secular Humanism on their website. Start here - http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=main&page=sh_defined. The link given in the references works as well.

I recently reread Dawkins' book. It is a collection of essays that he has written for various purposes. Some I found interesting, some were a snooze.

I haven't read the other references, though I checked and the religioustolerance.org link is live.

Okay. Secular Humanism. I think their affirmations are good ones. That doesn't mean I agree with every secular humanist just like I don't agree with a lot of atheists. Some of the ones I don't agree with post on this very board. No biggy.

It might be worthwhile at this point to give a psychological definition of belief.

Start with Attitude. (This is from wiki, but it is what was in my psych textbooks as well. Wiki is faster too look up.) In psychology an attitude is an expression of favor or disfavor toward a person, place, thing, or event. Attitude may affect behavior and mood, but your attitudes and behaviors do not always match. We all know - stop smoking, eat healthy foods, exercise. And how many of us follow those precepts every day? Well, often, we likely follow them often. Even if we know that a particular food is not the best for us, or we may smoke, or we may not exercise every day - we know we should, but our behavior doesn't always follow our attitudes.

Attitudes are a precursor to beliefs. I believe exercise is good for me. A little more formally, a belief is a psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true. Note - there is nothing in this definition about faith. How one determines the truthfulness of a proposition or premise may be knowledge- or faith-based or some combination of both.

When a person tells me that they believe in their religion, I understand them to be saying that they hold the proposition of a deity (or deities) to be true and it is likely not knowledge-based, but faith-based. Their statement also implies ritualistic behaviors associated with their religion. I may believe that god/s/dess does not exist, and there is a certain element of faith in my belief as it is very true that I don't know everything. Mr. Harrison is correct in that regard - belief in the nonexistence of god/s/dess is not based on evidence, but rather, a lack of evidence. Admittedly, this is not the strongest possible argument.

He is also, I believe, correct in that atheism is not a religion. Even under the broadest definition of religion ("religion is behaviors and ideas that are an important part of a culture" ) atheism is not a religion. There are no behaviors that are consistently associated with atheism. We do not all go forth and sin. We don't all attend secular humanism meetings or belong to the organization. Some of us hate secular humanists. The only idea all atheists consistently hold as true is that there is no god/s/dess. And that idea is not an important part of many cultures, though I have heard an argument that if there is a religion in a culture, there by necessity will be non-believers.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I was not assuming

cj wrote:

I was not assuming that all believers feel this way, but I have spoke with some who do.

I figured, but it's important to clarify.  We're going to find believers and non-believers alike that will have any random reason for believing or not believing as they do.  It doesn't make any of them more right or wrong than the next.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
A larger number of the Angelic hosts sided with the Devil . .

RobbyPants wrote:

There's also a pretty good SMBC that basically makes the same point. You have to give up one of the omni-aspects of God to try to get theodicy. The trick, is pretending that you didn't do that.

This is curious the last visitor made the statement of (I am quoting) "Please understand.  I am NOT dealing in probabilities.  I am making the claim that the Christian GOD does absolutely exist and that it can be LOGICALLY proven by the impossibility of the contrary"

I think he left before he even begun. A shame, I wanted to hear what he was going to offer.

>How would this massive revolt affect the ominpotence of the god or one of the other omni-aspects mentioned here ?

Thanks to the Bible, there a biography to examine (NOT failing to mention in passing the profound syncretism which is only shed light upon by examining neighboring cultures' 'type' gods), by what is written in the texts. Are there other examples that could be considered utterly irreconcilable, if not alarming ? I always found it interesting to wonder about the Angels, described in the texts, it used to be perplexing to me, when I was much younger. I am honestly curious about what others think, Christians included. According to the Bible, the last book (that should have never been included) it states in Rev. 12 one third of the stars in the sky were cast to the earth, by the Dragon's tail. This has be interpreted all over to mean, an entire one third of the angelic hosts sided with the Devil in an insurrection against the Holy God! I am suggesting regarding this comment, it is hard to understand what it would be like to be "All-knowing", the back drop of the War in the Heavens ..is not suggesting you have to be a big fan of what goes on, by any means. Supposedly, An attempt to establish another authority by the act of revolt and rebellion. Oh, this is meaning countless angels gave G-d the two fingered salute, said effectively F***-you, we reject You, they made clear. And I aint working for you anymore !!  A thornier issue is Ominscience. Why suggest this ? If the god were Omnipresence but in no way Ominscient. Then this War in Heaven could take place. If He knew everything in advance in a unlimited pure Ominscient way, the War would not need to take place at all. You see, it merely would end up a costumed farce. Why bother, at all ?  Note I could remind any, Hell was originally set up for the Devil and his angels as it very explicit in at least 3-4 locations in the New Testament, two Gospel references, and in other writings. The insurrectionists  were out numbered  by what two to one?  Just cast the whole lott (of them) the insurrectionists into the bowels of Hell to remain for whatever length of time they are there. Rebels defeated, they all go home. Order finally restored. Btw, In completely human terms, If I were a leader and such a large number of subjects having revolted, my natural inclination would be to course correct. Learn from my errors, being sure to best as I could avoid similar mistakes, so the past mistakes weren't repeated, setting the stage for this happening all over again. Best case. Then free will would be central to the argument as to which of the legs were a bit longer than the other two. Rob's link. It still doesnt speak well of the whole idea of Ominscient ALMIGHTY, to keep this whole drama in place and the need for a War in the Heavens, and all according to the pages of the sacred book(s). (?) Although, It ultimately comes down to "why" choose not to act, (or not act "immediately")?. You cannot be sure it is logically impossible. Only if, Sometimes a fatal error is committed in defining things into an indescribable abstraction. It becomes completely unrelatable to a disgustingly nth degree.

How would this massive revolt affect the ominpotence of the god or one of the other omni-aspects mentioned here ? In fairness, Are there any limiting factors to take into consideration, or no ?

F i n

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:"It takes more

cj wrote:

"It takes more faith not to believe in a god than to believe."

Unless you use a definition for religion that might include the local chess club, atheism is not a religion. Religion involves a belief in a deity - some atheists may say it might be possible for a deity to exist, but that does not imply belief.

Basing this statement off the quote, you'd have to define atheism as a religion.  By definition I have also defined it as a religion.  

dictionary.com defines Atheism as;  "the doctrine or belief that there is no God"

The thing with atheism is not all non-believers can be categorized under "atheism" and it is a set of beliefs that a group of people agree upon which is a very basic definition of religion.  

cj wrote:

Science is not a god - it can't be. Science is a process, the process of how we figure things out. No entity involved. So science is not some entity one worships, but a series of steps for figuring out how things work.

yet some do treat it as such and try to use it to redefine belief.  I agree with you here.  True believers accept that science and scripture go hand in hand.

cj wrote:

Atheists don't worship humans, either, as some believers have claimed. This might be from an aversion to secular humanism. Some believers get very uptight about secular humanism. Well, some non-believers do as well.

Mr. Harrison finds their principles to be positive and forward thinking. He finishes the chapter by confessing he has a belief about gods - they don't exist. He has no proof, he can't know this. But he believes it. But this belief is not his religion as he has none.

I have defined myself and those who believe as I do as not a part of religion as well.  I hate religion because it is separatism.  By definition I am a part of a religion, but by perspective I am not.  Mr. Harrison confesses that he has a belief about gods, so do I.  He has no proof. I base my understanding off of proofs I have seen, but either way we both believe it.. therefore he can claim all he wants that he doesn't have a religion, but when it comes down to it, adhereing to a specific belief categorizes you into religion especially if it separates you from those who oppose that belief.  

The difference with me is I don't allow myself to be separated from those who oppose my belief.  Quite the opposite really.

cj wrote:

It might be worthwhile at this point to give a psychological definition of belief.

Start with Attitude. (This is from wiki, but it is what was in my psych textbooks as well. Wiki is faster too look up.) In psychology an attitude is an expression of favor or disfavor toward a person, place, thing, or event. Attitude may affect behavior and mood, but your attitudes and behaviors do not always match. We all know - stop smoking, eat healthy foods, exercise. And how many of us follow those precepts every day? Well, often, we likely follow them often. Even if we know that a particular food is not the best for us, or we may smoke, or we may not exercise every day - we know we should, but our behavior doesn't always follow our attitudes.

Attitudes are a precursor to beliefs. I believe exercise is good for me. A little more formally, a belief is a psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true. Note - there is nothing in this definition about faith. How one determines the truthfulness of a proposition or premise may be knowledge- or faith-based or some combination of both.

When a person tells me that they believe in their religion, I understand them to be saying that they hold the proposition of a deity (or deities) to be true and it is likely not knowledge-based, but faith-based. Their statement also implies ritualistic behaviors associated with their religion. I may believe that god/s/dess does not exist, and there is a certain element of faith in my belief as it is very true that I don't know everything. Mr. Harrison is correct in that regard - belief in the nonexistence of god/s/dess is not based on evidence, but rather, a lack of evidence. Admittedly, this is not the strongest possible argument.

He is also, I believe, correct in that atheism is not a religion. Even under the broadest definition of religion ("religion is behaviors and ideas that are an important part of a culture" ) atheism is not a religion. There are no behaviors that are consistently associated with atheism. We do not all go forth and sin. We don't all attend secular humanism meetings or belong to the organization. Some of us hate secular humanists. The only idea all atheists consistently hold as true is that there is no god/s/dess. And that idea is not an important part of many cultures, though I have heard an argument that if there is a religion in a culture, there by necessity will be non-believers.

nothing to add here.  I covered the atheism thing above.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chapter 7 - Evolution is Bad

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

<Caposkia, I honestly do not recall your views on evolution. So I begin with just a straight forward summary of the chapter.>

Many millions of people do not know about evolution. They don't understand how it works, and they don't truly know the facts and mountains of evidence that support the theory of evolution. Many don't understand the scientific definition of theory, but go with a detective story definition of "guess." And not even an informed guess as presented in most detective stories.

Over and over again, there is substantial evidence for evolution, from many different branches of science - zoology, biology, botany, microbiology, paleontology, genetics, to name some. You may find a few scientists who are creationists, a few more who are theistic evolutionists, but they are a miniscule number compared to those scientists who have no disconfirming evidence and so know that evolution is as real as any other theory.

There are many religious leaders who claim that the theory of evolution is bad - not just inaccurate, but actively harmful to your "immortal soul." God/s/dess will be very angry with you if you actually study evolution and discover the scientific facts behind the theory.

What is the cause of this persistent idea that evolution is evil? It might be based, in part, on the now vilified eugenics movement of the 1920s and 30s. That idea was truly evil. And we now know that it is false and cruel. Harrison says rejecting evolution because some people use it to justify racism is like rejecting gravity because someone dropped rocks from a building on someone else. Or condemning all religions because some have been used to justify crimes. See the Philip Dick quote.

Some people claim that accepting evolution makes you more likely to commit crimes. After all, you are just an animal and have an animal's instincts. So raping, robbing, murdering, etc., is normal and natural. Nonsense. Do scientists who support the theory evolution commit more crimes? No. Evolution does not give anyone a green light to hurt other people.

Evolution does not address how life began, it only explains how life changed over time. If you understand how natural selection works, how genetic mutations happen, how long life has had to evolve, why does this automatically make you a bad person? Many people believe in both evolution and religion and they are not bad people.

References

Mayr, Ernst. What Evolution Is. New York: Basic Books, 2001. Outstanding book on evolution by a great scientist.

Zimmer, Carl. The Triumph of an Idea. New York: Harper Collins, 2001. This is the companion book to the PBS series of the same name. This book is the perfect read for anyone who has doubts about evolution or just wants to to understand it more. Includes the chapter "What about God?" which addresses the evolution-creationism controversy.

----------------------

The above comments on the references are the author's, not mine. I have read and recommend Mayr's book. Easy to read and very informative.

There are three chapters on evolution, this is only the first. If responding to this post, let's try to stick to this one aspect of the controversy - that the theory of evolution is somehow bad and will lead people to doing bad things.

I don't have much to say on this particular topic as I find the argument ludicrous. Mr. Harrison has said everything that I could think of to say. I will post more extensively when we get to the other two chapters on evolution.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:: I am not sure where he falls on the Evolutionary Theory.

cj wrote:

<Caposkia, I honestly do not recall your views on evolution. So I begin with just a straight forward summary of the chapter.>

Many millions of people do not know about evolution. They don't understand how it works, and they don't truly know the facts and mountains of evidence that support the theory of evolution.

Atheists are prepared to accept the truth of evolution, because of the evidence. Unfortunately, A great many atheists probably only have a limited understanding of what biological evolution is, and at best is sketchy.

I think I read somewhere he (Cap) left it more as an open question, (for himself). Not necessary denying the science behind it. Given this, he may feel it either a mystery to his own understanding or even it happened if there is a god or not. I couldn't tell from his remarks I read. His views are far more clear on the global deluge, that much I know. Perhaps because of the three threads he has been engaged in one is dedicated to the topic.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chapter 8 - Our World is too Beautiful to be an Accident

The title of this chapter is a direct quote from an interview the author had with Apollo astronaut Gene Cernan. And of course, there are the many beautiful and impressive photographs taken of the Earth from space by many of the astronauts. "Earthrise" taken in 1968 is the classic. <Photos are from wiki, and are not in the book.>

Or, "The Big Blue Marble" taken in 1972 is the most famous:

There are many believers who say that these photos (and others) demonstrate a beauty and wonder that must have been created for how could it have happened by chance?

Well, sure the Earth is beautiful from a distance, but close up? Harrison then reprises the (well-worn) arguments of it is not so pretty here on Earth and free will is a cop out. God/s/dess knew (omniscient?) how people would turn out. Knew that Adam would be led astray by Eve, knew that people would perpetuate genocides (after all, the OT god ordered genocide) and that people would starve, abuse, rape and enslave children - children who have no free will. God/s/dess could have made other choices when creating humans, but obviously chose not. (Assuming you believe in creation by a deity.)

People can be beautiful and can create beautiful objects. The Earth and the creatures living on it can be beautiful. They can also be disgusting, ugly, dangerous, and cruel. The image of the lion cubs devouring an antelope while it was still alive was an evocative image. You can say predators and prey evolved together to be preyed upon and to prey on. Or you can say god designed this cruelty - which calls into question any benevolence - and is harder for the author to understand.

Surely there are alternatives to the mass killing and starvation that happen in the world. Surely we could think of alternatives to feeding all life and controlling populations that results in a much more beautiful world than the one we currently live upon.

References

"Causes of Poverty: Poverty Facts and Stats." Global Issues, 2007. http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp.

Leach, Susan Llewelyn. "Slavery Is Not Dead, Just Less Recognizable." Christian Science Monitor, September 1, 2004.

"Military: World Wide Military Expenditures." Global Security.org, 2007. http://globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm

State of the World's Children 2008. UNICEF report, January 2008. http://www.unicef.org.

"Water Sanitation and Health: Health through Safe Drinking Water and Basic Sanitation." World Health Organization (WHO). http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/mdg1/en/index.html

The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html.

Zimmer, Carl. Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Dangerous Creatures. New York: Free Press, 2000. Required reading for all those who think nature is nothing more than sweet-smelling flowers and pretty waterfalls.

-------------------------

Researching the references:

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats has an update of poverty figures as of January 2013.

The slavery article is available online: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0901/p16s01-wogi.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm has figures updated to 2011.

The entire report on the 2013 state of the world's children by UNICEF can be found here: http://www.unicef.org/sowc2013/files/SWCR2013_ENG_Lo_res_24_Apr_2013.pdf  Links to other languages and formats can be found here: http://www.unicef.org/sowc2013/

Whether or not you agree with WHO's position on many topics, I believe clean water and decent sanitation is essential for all people. The number of critters that live in water that cause disease is amazing - and it is expensive to clean them out. (Yes, chlorine kills a lot of them and it is not expensive, but there are some that chlorine will not kill and require filtering which is very expensive for a municipality to implement. There are outbreaks of water borne diseases even in the U.S every summer.) The given link is still active and updated.

The World Factbook is active and updated as of July 2013. I do not know if it is accessible from other countries.

And I have read Parasite Rex. It is a really neat book with lots of truly gross pictures. Never, never, never drink water where it is untreated. Really. Unless, you have a problem with auto-immune disorders and then you may want to deliberately infest yourself. Am I serious? Yes. Apparently, if your immune system does not have enough to do, it will attack you. So giving yourself a nice, low impact, long term parasite may correct your problem. Ewww......

That last is an example of "what was your deity thinking?" Let's create critters so that the critters they predate on have to develop immune systems so reactive that the immune system will attack it's own body if it doesn't have any other critters to attack. Huh? This is a great plan? This is "beautiful?" Strange. "You can't know the mind of god." Damn straight and at that point, I don't think I want to even try to know a mind so short sighted and twisted.

Evolutionary biologists call predator-prey relationships an "arms race." The prey evolves to elude the predator so the predator evolves to catch the prey in a never ending cycle. With the result that the prey is pretty impressive in one fashion or another and the predator is really impressively creepy. Moths and butterflies cope with predating wasps by cranking out impressive numbers of eggs so there are equally impressive numbers of caterpillars. Antelopes cope with lions by becoming ever faster and ever more alert to their environment. Humans have responded to their predators by breeding large numbers of children who become more and more immune and by wiping out the predators through technology. No plan is necessary to explain this, just simple survival. And it isn't "beautiful" by any stretch of the imagination.

P.S. I have seen that glitter that was in the lion cubs eyes as they pulled apart a living antelope in my dog's eyes after she gutted a rat on my deck. Good girl. Please don't ever look at me that way.

itecydelt
User is offlineOffline
conditional Socratic fatuous

The reality of our everyday life is that many of us spend past an acceptable limit much time working, stuck in traffic, with your families, and also other everyday jobs. We never have the kind of occasion required to direct a holistic way of life. The majority of us require some type of secret, an easier way to get our brains to open up up and also think and act for you to greater sizes. monster beats studio pink PHOTOS: 'Girls Gone Wild' Founder Joe Francis: 'Basically Wasn't Me, I'dF---ingHate Me'
Last note; don't restriction yourself with simply three or four tracks. Many artists today are usually putting together mixtapes together with 12 or higher songs. This is not hard to do at all. You can always locate affordable bests online that will enable you to cause you to first mixtape for just one hundred dollars. Performer everywhere are going to do this currently and having his or her mixtapes ready for distribution online in a few several weeks or much less. cheap bests headphones quality of sound rally outstanding. http://www.cleverdicktools.com/monster-beats-solo-headphones-with-control-talk-in-black-p-59.html
Special characteristics beats by dre solo pink Many top automobile manufacturing companies regularly launched its fresh edition with a few extra features. Cars like 4 wheel drive trucks, raised trucks along with monster trucks are some of the perfect example of mud vehicles. Due to its special functions, most competitors would like to generate these automobiles. To drive these kinds of automotive, competitors needs particular training or even earlier experience almost every racing and automobile lovers like these vehicles. At first, it is used to encourage sports activities such as camel sporting, horse race and bull fighting etc. for the development of car industries, these kind of vehicles takes on a key part.
Whole, this particular new era price determination reports web site to find your fitness 7/10 taking on a jewellery processing weblog.casquette There are web-based sitesgold regarding runescape which unfortunately accomplished long been barely packed greater virtually all updated that will i do think, nonetheless SwagVault is utterly confident adequate ranges from antagonism aural of the remarkably bloodthirsty casquette market. Fantastic Elecponic Digital camera Xiankong Qi Carrying this out lecturer is usually backed up along with walker regarding the cheap surpasses by dre expansion of progressive S51 Tv program Wonderful web Xiankong Chi. This kind of rare Driven screen mentioned previously tv series the different guidelines in depth. This, proprietors is likely to correctly alter sound over all measurement, large-pitch win with each other details. Might key damping podium, impression very good. Besides, your own Xian Kongqi also supports different place big selection. S5.1 Standard Format comes with a Individual computer / Compact disk Two possessions, the consumer may well publicly switch the signal from his very own should have. Other part the.5millimeters Xiankong Qi Head phones Jack Port, spess-free pertaining to your end user. > beats by dr dre studio green
08/26/2010 * Edmonton, Canada @ Rexall Place pro beats He added that like a newcomer on the TV business and an "Edinburgh Tv set festival virgin," he no idea just what he has been letting himself in for.
As soon as you collect most five cards of the same monster the cards continues to drop through the monster however it is useless and add any additional information towards the book. You also will get 15% a lot more experience from that beast for one hour. After the 15% encounter bonus finishes you cannot get another 15% bonus from the same monster through collecting five cards from your monster however you can via another beast. dre beats studio PHOTOS:Baz Luhrmann: Unique Portraits from the 'Great Gatsby' Overseer

baLwmYcmoijduej09865hlopnizobjef

http://tehnika-remonta.ru/content/id138055/content/ U:quaeisaenla P:p9uJkuf36D
http://tehnika-remonta.ru/content/id77166/content/ U:leneilsaqensa P:b5kl36hBaT
http://8135.china720.cn/bbs/ U:meeiujpldp P:kd189nLciH

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:"Reality is that

cj wrote:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Many millions of people do not know about evolution. They don't understand how it works, and they don't truly know the facts and mountains of evidence that support the theory of evolution. Many don't understand the scientific definition of theory, but go with a detective story definition of "guess." And not even an informed guess as presented in most detective stories.

Over and over again, there is substantial evidence for evolution, from many different branches of science - zoology, biology, botany, microbiology, paleontology, genetics, to name some. You may find a few scientists who are creationists, a few more who are theistic evolutionists, but they are a miniscule number compared to those scientists who have no disconfirming evidence and so know that evolution is as real as any other theory.

There are many religious leaders who claim that the theory of evolution is bad - not just inaccurate, but actively harmful to your "immortal soul." God/s/dess will be very angry with you if you actually study evolution and discover the scientific facts behind the theory.

What is the cause of this persistent idea that evolution is evil? It might be based, in part, on the now vilified eugenics movement of the 1920s and 30s. That idea was truly evil. And we now know that it is false and cruel. Harrison says rejecting evolution because some people use it to justify racism is like rejecting gravity because someone dropped rocks from a building on someone else. Or condemning all religions because some have been used to justify crimes. See the Philip Dick quote.

Some people claim that accepting evolution makes you more likely to commit crimes. After all, you are just an animal and have an animal's instincts. So raping, robbing, murdering, etc., is normal and natural. Nonsense. Do scientists who support the theory evolution commit more crimes? No. Evolution does not give anyone a green light to hurt other people.

Evolution does not address how life began, it only explains how life changed over time. If you understand how natural selection works, how genetic mutations happen, how long life has had to evolve, why does this automatically make you a bad person? Many people believe in both evolution and religion and they are not bad people.

References

Mayr, Ernst. What Evolution Is. New York: Basic Books, 2001. Outstanding book on evolution by a great scientist.

Zimmer, Carl. The Triumph of an Idea. New York: Harper Collins, 2001. This is the companion book to the PBS series of the same name. This book is the perfect read for anyone who has doubts about evolution or just wants to to understand it more. Includes the chapter "What about God?" which addresses the evolution-creationism controversy.

----------------------

The above comments on the references are the author's, not mine. I have read and recommend Mayr's book. Easy to read and very informative.

There are three chapters on evolution, this is only the first. If responding to this post, let's try to stick to this one aspect of the controversy - that the theory of evolution is somehow bad and will lead people to doing bad things.

I don't have much to say on this particular topic as I find the argument ludicrous. Mr. Harrison has said everything that I could think of to say. I will post more extensively when we get to the other two chapters on evolution.

True Christians have no issue with evolution as is.  Where the issue lies is origins, which as your article said, is not evolution.  I'll add its' Darwinism.  I have no issue with evolution as science describes it and I'll quote from your post; "Evolution does not address how life began, it only explains how life changed over time."  None of the mounds of evidence science has on evolution goes against anything scripture says.  

I'll add, just in case origins is viewed strictly as the start of all life.  I cannot accept interspecieal evolution or that one species evolved into another.  Too many gaps in science to support it with any species claimed to have evolved from another.  

Most non-believers I've come across confuse evolution with Darwinism and try to tie it in with origins.  This i think is where Dana might be confused on my stance.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:The title of this

cj wrote:

The title of this chapter is a direct quote from an interview the author had with Apollo astronaut Gene Cernan. And of course, there are the many beautiful and impressive photographs taken of the Earth from space by many of the astronauts. "Earthrise" taken in 1968 is the classic. <Photos are from wiki, and are not in the book.>

Or, "The Big Blue Marble" taken in 1972 is the most famous:

There are many believers who say that these photos (and others) demonstrate a beauty and wonder that must have been created for how could it have happened by chance?

Well, sure the Earth is beautiful from a distance, but close up? Harrison then reprises the (well-worn) arguments of it is not so pretty here on Earth and free will is a cop out. God/s/dess knew (omniscient?) how people would turn out. Knew that Adam would be led astray by Eve, knew that people would perpetuate genocides (after all, the OT god ordered genocide) and that people would starve, abuse, rape and enslave children - children who have no free will. God/s/dess could have made other choices when creating humans, but obviously chose not. (Assuming you believe in creation by a deity.)

People can be beautiful and can create beautiful objects. The Earth and the creatures living on it can be beautiful. They can also be disgusting, ugly, dangerous, and cruel. The image of the lion cubs devouring an antelope while it was still alive was an evocative image. You can say predators and prey evolved together to be preyed upon and to prey on. Or you can say god designed this cruelty - which calls into question any benevolence - and is harder for the author to understand.

Surely there are alternatives to the mass killing and starvation that happen in the world. Surely we could think of alternatives to feeding all life and controlling populations that results in a much more beautiful world than the one we currently live upon.

References

"Causes of Poverty: Poverty Facts and Stats." Global Issues, 2007. http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp.

Leach, Susan Llewelyn. "Slavery Is Not Dead, Just Less Recognizable." Christian Science Monitor, September 1, 2004.

"Military: World Wide Military Expenditures." Global Security.org, 2007. http://globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm

State of the World's Children 2008. UNICEF report, January 2008. http://www.unicef.org.

"Water Sanitation and Health: Health through Safe Drinking Water and Basic Sanitation." World Health Organization (WHO). http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/mdg1/en/index.html

The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html.

Zimmer, Carl. Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Dangerous Creatures. New York: Free Press, 2000. Required reading for all those who think nature is nothing more than sweet-smelling flowers and pretty waterfalls.

-------------------------

Researching the references:

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats has an update of poverty figures as of January 2013.

The slavery article is available online: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0901/p16s01-wogi.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/spending.htm has figures updated to 2011.

The entire report on the 2013 state of the world's children by UNICEF can be found here: http://www.unicef.org/sowc2013/files/SWCR2013_ENG_Lo_res_24_Apr_2013.pdf  Links to other languages and formats can be found here: http://www.unicef.org/sowc2013/

Whether or not you agree with WHO's position on many topics, I believe clean water and decent sanitation is essential for all people. The number of critters that live in water that cause disease is amazing - and it is expensive to clean them out. (Yes, chlorine kills a lot of them and it is not expensive, but there are some that chlorine will not kill and require filtering which is very expensive for a municipality to implement. There are outbreaks of water borne diseases even in the U.S every summer.) The given link is still active and updated.

The World Factbook is active and updated as of July 2013. I do not know if it is accessible from other countries.

And I have read Parasite Rex. It is a really neat book with lots of truly gross pictures. Never, never, never drink water where it is untreated. Really. Unless, you have a problem with auto-immune disorders and then you may want to deliberately infest yourself. Am I serious? Yes. Apparently, if your immune system does not have enough to do, it will attack you. So giving yourself a nice, low impact, long term parasite may correct your problem. Ewww......

That last is an example of "what was your deity thinking?" Let's create critters so that the critters they predate on have to develop immune systems so reactive that the immune system will attack it's own body if it doesn't have any other critters to attack. Huh? This is a great plan? This is "beautiful?" Strange. "You can't know the mind of god." Damn straight and at that point, I don't think I want to even try to know a mind so short sighted and twisted.

Evolutionary biologists call predator-prey relationships an "arms race." The prey evolves to elude the predator so the predator evolves to catch the prey in a never ending cycle. With the result that the prey is pretty impressive in one fashion or another and the predator is really impressively creepy. Moths and butterflies cope with predating wasps by cranking out impressive numbers of eggs so there are equally impressive numbers of caterpillars. Antelopes cope with lions by becoming ever faster and ever more alert to their environment. Humans have responded to their predators by breeding large numbers of children who become more and more immune and by wiping out the predators through technology. No plan is necessary to explain this, just simple survival. And it isn't "beautiful" by any stretch of the imagination.

P.S. I have seen that glitter that was in the lion cubs eyes as they pulled apart a living antelope in my dog's eyes after she gutted a rat on my deck. Good girl. Please don't ever look at me that way.

This is where it gets difficult to comprehend because to know the ins and outs of creation and all its' purposes and why things are the way they are, we'd have to study God.  creation is beautiful.  Have you ever seen a Great White shark up close!  They are beautiful creatures.  have you ever seen a great white rip the leg off of a surfer?  They are terrible ugly creatures!!  Wait! but they can't be both...  It's all in perspective.  

To best describe the uglyness of our world, I would actually go back to evolution and how God created the Earth to not only be taken care of, but also take care of itself.  The Bible personifies a lot... most Christians toke it up to metaphor, but I have wondered many times, especially when Jesus "spoke to the sea" and at his command it calmed down... could this world and other creations in it have a mind as well?  

That gets way beyond anything I can back up or prove even through scripture, but logically, it makes sense that evolution works to preserve itself.  The world works in the same way.  I consider the butterfly effect when I think of how things evolved for the better to later cause something that we'd consider bad.  Why did those parasites who sicken people end up in the water supply?  I'm sure they're not there literally just to make humans sick.  What is their purpose, what do they do for life in general?  

If there's anything that science has discovered, it's that every creature that has been studied deep enough has been found to have a significant purpose to the balance of life on the planet.  Does that mean we know the purposes of all the creatures and bacteria etc?  of course not, but based on science, we can safely theorize that they all have a significant purpose to the balance of the environment in some way, shape or form.  e.g. Sharks, Orca's and polar Bears keep the ocean life in a balance.  Take any one of them away and there could be an over abundance of certain marine life which will eventually lead to lack of food supply for that marine life which would have a chain reaction and eventually wipe out the sharks, Orcas and Polar Bears.  We can find similar chain reactions when looking at other predatorial animals.  

For those who say' "God created evil"  I ask, how do we consider evil a creation?  What is evil if it was created?  IF you say it's those things that are bad, we run into the same problem with "bad"  What is bad?  things that are not good?  The problem with blaming God for creating it is it's not a "noun"  its' an adjective.  A descriptive word.  It is used to describe nouns, so if evil is in fact created... it must be associated with a specific noun, either that or everything ever created is all evil because that's just what the universe is.  

Surely I agree too that there must be alternatives to mass starvation etc... but I ask considering evolution.... how did it get that way in the first place?  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: This is

caposkia wrote:

This is where it gets difficult to comprehend because to know the ins and outs of creation and all its' purposes and why things are the way they are, we'd have to study God.  creation is beautiful.  Have you ever seen a Great White shark up close!  They are beautiful creatures.  have you ever seen a great white rip the leg off of a surfer?  They are terrible ugly creatures!!  Wait! but they can't be both...  It's all in perspective.  

To best describe the uglyness of our world, I would actually go back to evolution and how God created the Earth to not only be taken care of, but also take care of itself.  The Bible personifies a lot... most Christians toke it up to metaphor, but I have wondered many times, especially when Jesus "spoke to the sea" and at his command it calmed down... could this world and other creations in it have a mind as well?  

That gets way beyond anything I can back up or prove even through scripture, but logically, it makes sense that evolution works to preserve itself.  The world works in the same way.  I consider the butterfly effect when I think of how things evolved for the better to later cause something that we'd consider bad.  Why did those parasites who sicken people end up in the water supply?  I'm sure they're not there literally just to make humans sick.  What is their purpose, what do they do for life in general?  

If there's anything that science has discovered, it's that every creature that has been studied deep enough has been found to have a significant purpose to the balance of life on the planet.  Does that mean we know the purposes of all the creatures and bacteria etc?  of course not, but based on science, we can safely theorize that they all have a significant purpose to the balance of the environment in some way, shape or form.  e.g. Sharks, Orca's and polar Bears keep the ocean life in a balance.  Take any one of them away and there could be an over abundance of certain marine life which will eventually lead to lack of food supply for that marine life which would have a chain reaction and eventually wipe out the sharks, Orcas and Polar Bears.  We can find similar chain reactions when looking at other predatorial animals.  

For those who say' "God created evil"  I ask, how do we consider evil a creation?  What is evil if it was created?  IF you say it's those things that are bad, we run into the same problem with "bad"  What is bad?  things that are not good?  The problem with blaming God for creating it is it's not a "noun"  its' an adjective.  A descriptive word.  It is used to describe nouns, so if evil is in fact created... it must be associated with a specific noun, either that or everything ever created is all evil because that's just what the universe is.  

Surely I agree too that there must be alternatives to mass starvation etc... but I ask considering evolution.... how did it get that way in the first place?  

To start, the view that all life has a purpose is considered old-fashioned. It was common when people - scientists included - attempted to view the world as created by their god/s/dess. There must be a purpose if this entity (ies) bothered to create them, otherwise why bother?

Very few biologists, zoologists, botanists, etc now talk about purpose. Instead, they talk about ecological balance from the perspective of what is happening in a particular ecosphere, microclimate, or trophic level.

(As an aside, a trophic level is "A position in a food chain or Ecological Pyramid occupied by a group of organisms with similar feeding mode. For example, the primary producers are photosynthetic plants occupying the first trophic level. A group of organisms feeding on them is called herbivores, which form the second trophic level. Organisms feeding on the herbivores, called carnivores, occupy the next trophic level." Most ecospheres have three trophic levels, there may be a fourth with predators preying on predators. Or, you can count the soil bacteria as a separate level. There is a limit to the number of possible trophic levels depending on the available resources. http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Trophic_level )

Back to purpose. Each organism contributes to the balance of an ecosphere. But if a particular organism becomes extinct, the particular ecosphere may experience collapse for awhile, but it will recover as organism(s) evolve to fill the new niche opened by the extinction. After all, it is estimated that over 95% of all species that ever existed have gone extinct. Yet we have an amazing biodiversity existing today. All is not lost if a species dies out.

And the ecosphere is not perfectly balanced at all times. For example, predator-prey relationships often go through cycles. There are a lot of mice, the wolves get fat and have lots of cubs, the cubs eat lots of mice, there aren't enough mice, there are fewer cubs, then more mice, more wolves, fewer mice, fewer wolves, etc, in an endless loop.

(Yes, wolves eat mice.)

Evolution does not "work." It does not "preserve itself." It is mindless. Directionless. Not random, but not with a purpose. New species evolve - see nylon eating bacteria. They didn't exist before humans created nylon. But nylon created a whole new resource to exploit in that particular ecosphere and it was inevitable - according to some evolutionary biologists - that such a species of bacteria would evolve.

Parasites evolved to take advantage of a resource - humans in some cases. And dogs, fir trees, insects, other parasites and so on in other cases. The only "purpose" is to be able to take in enough energy to be able to reproduce.

Mind you, I am not blaming god/s/dess for creating anything - good, evil or indifferent, since as far as I am concerned said entity (ies) does not exist. I'm saying (and I believe it is what Harrison is saying as well) is that if some entities created this earth, it isn't perfect, it is not necessarily beautiful, and they did a very sloppy job.

How did evolution start? With the first replicating molecule.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi cj and Cap

Nice thread you have going here. Reading all your various toos and fros what stands out most distinctly is the different processes of mind present. I think Cap, your earlier assertion that a collectively-held belief constitutes the basis of a religion is unusual. This implies every generally held belief - the sky is blue, or steam is hot - is a religion. I always fail to see why the godly would insist lack of religious belief is religious belief. It's a belief about religion but that's not the same thing at all. 

Cap, it seems to me that what underpins your position in the current discussion is at root, an argument from incredulity. You cannot imagine how X cannot be so. However, the accepted fact that human understanding does not encompass areas like abiogenesis or pre-bang doesn't free you to insist your speculations and assumptions may pass for reasonable belief. Indeed, you are obliged, I think, to admit you might well be wrong in suggesting an un-natural explanation is even a possibility.  

Also challenging to me is the fact that in arguing against empiricism at the edges of understanding, you put yourself in the invidious position of denying the veracity of the falsifiable hypothesis. Given what you've said here, you are not a young earther, nor do you reject evolution, and no doubt you are happy with the predictable nature of light in glass fibres and electrons in the variable resistor in the fuel tank of your car.

What this means is that in normal life you accept that empiricism is a tool that gives you the basis for reasonable beliefs about your environment. But things get sticky when we start talking about those things that are not yet known, and those things that perhaps cannot be known. From the point knowledge ends, you cut yourself free from the 'religion' of empiricism, a 'religion' of which in everyday life you are a devoted acolyte. 

As I've said elsewhere before, I think arguing intuitively, as you seem to be doing, is fine, just as long as you are prepared to agree that intuition is not a flawless instrument but is beset with confirmation bias and mistaken analogy. Most of us would by no means insist we were certain about the true nature of things. I think cj was correct up-thread when she sought to clarify what it is to believe in a thing. Perhaps the discussion should have lingered longer on that pivotal point. 

Something else that's ever challenging is the ambiguity of language when it comes to shaping our comprehension of things. Human minds can create conceptual spaces that while subjectively analogous, have no basis in external reality. When it gets right to very drill-bit of comprehension, I can't help feeling the less language used the better. The truth about life is probably a chemical equation, governed by the laws of physics, all this existing in at least 3 dimensions. It can only be polluted by our applied terms and our terrestrial analogies, and further obscured by spoken language. 

Again, and with credit to Kiwi philosopher Alan Musgrave, I feel the need to push forward the fundamental truth that single celled organisms and their antecedents, with recourse only to biochemical signalling for understanding of their environment, have survived for 3.7 billion years. The proof of this lies not just in the rocks but in all living cells. We are co-operative colonies of single celled organisms, specialised cell groups of which produce the emergent property we experience as conscious mind.    

To me the key is this. Because single celled organisms have survived so long with only biochemical signalling to describe their environment, it's clear that sense data is life's first and primary tool of comprehension. Molecular biology clearly shows that we are empiricists at the cellular level. 

This fundamental, proven first and ever since by life's ignition and its long and continued existence, is not open to speculation. The only place it seems empiricism is denied is within the human mind, which insists on applying the subjective analogies of its referred experience of the planet on which it evolved, to the sum of all things.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chapter 9 - My god created the universe

The introductory quotes both resonate with me.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Charles Darwin

<Funny that quote by Darwin. It is now called the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Verified in a number of experiments.>

When contemplating any inspiring/beautiful sight, saying "my god did it," may be "a simple, convenient, and reassuring" explanation for many people. Nice, but no evidence for if a god was involved, or which god it may have been. Just because no one knows, or because understanding only comes with years of study, does not necessarily imply some god/s/dess did it. Ignorance is not evidence.

The Big Bang theory is reiterated and discussed. Shortly - there was nothing, no time, no matter, no space, not even a void. And then in an instant, there is matter, time, space and it is rapidly expanding. More rapidly than anything has ever moved since, and the universe expands for billions of years until it is as we observe it today.

This sounds incredible. It sounds made up. It is based on evidence. Many scientists resisted the theory at first. Almost all have since come to believe that is what the evidence we have shows as what happened. There are huge gaps in our understanding and knowledge. Admittedly. We don't know what triggered the event. We don't know how it was triggered. We don't know.

This doesn't mean that "goddidit." It doesn't mean aliens or some god/s/dess (maybe not yours) did it. It doesn't mean or indicate anything other than we don't know at this time. And if the theory is proved incorrect at a later date, scientists will change their belief. It is a scientific theory - which means it is not cast in stone. Disconfirming evidence means everyone stops believing in that particular theory - unlike a religion.

First cause - if everything must have a cause then so must god/s/dess. If god/s/dess can exist without cause, then so can the universe. You don't get to have it both ways.

The Big Bang neither proves nor disproves god/s/dess.

References

Leeming, David, with Margaret Leeming. A Dictionary of Creation Myths. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.

Seife, Charles. Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe. New York: Penguin Books, 2003.

Weinberg, Steven. Facing Up: Science and Its Cultural Adversaries. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2001.

-----------------

I have not read any of the references.

This is my take on the KCA and related arguments.

Energy can neither be created or destroyed. (Physics 101)

E=Mc^2   (Einstein)

Therefore, matter is energy and energy is matter. Get enough energy in one spot and you have will matter moving really fast. QED

Disclaimer: I am no physicist and I am likely blowing smoke. But it sounds just as good and maybe better than "goddidit."

It has been demonstrated in a number of psychological experiments that those who do not know, are the ones who profess the most knowledge. Experts know enough to know they don't know everything - or even really very much of anything. Even (maybe especially) in their field of expertise. This was first demonstrated by Dunning and Kruger near 40 years ago now. And there have since been many experiments that support this.

So when someone starts telling me "it is just common sense," I am pretty certain this person doesn't know doodly about the subject at hand. Non-physicists pontificating about the Big Bang are prime candidates for doodly status.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:  To start, the

cj wrote:

To start, the view that all life has a purpose is considered old-fashioned. It was common when people - scientists included - attempted to view the world as created by their god/s/dess. There must be a purpose if this entity (ies) bothered to create them, otherwise why bother?

Very few biologists, zoologists, botanists, etc now talk about purpose. Instead, they talk about ecological balance from the perspective of what is happening in a particular ecosphere, microclimate, or trophic level.

(As an aside, a trophic level is "A position in a food chain or Ecological Pyramid occupied by a group of organisms with similar feeding mode. For example, the primary producers are photosynthetic plants occupying the first trophic level. A group of organisms feeding on them is called herbivores, which form the second trophic level. Organisms feeding on the herbivores, called carnivores, occupy the next trophic level." Most ecospheres have three trophic levels, there may be a fourth with predators preying on predators. Or, you can count the soil bacteria as a separate level. There is a limit to the number of possible trophic levels depending on the available resources. http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Trophic_level )

Back to purpose. Each organism contributes to the balance of an ecosphere. But if a particular organism becomes extinct, the particular ecosphere may experience collapse for awhile, but it will recover as organism(s) evolve to fill the new niche opened by the extinction. After all, it is estimated that over 95% of all species that ever existed have gone extinct. Yet we have an amazing biodiversity existing today. All is not lost if a species dies out.

And the ecosphere is not perfectly balanced at all times. For example, predator-prey relationships often go through cycles. There are a lot of mice, the wolves get fat and have lots of cubs, the cubs eat lots of mice, there aren't enough mice, there are fewer cubs, then more mice, more wolves, fewer mice, fewer wolves, etc, in an endless loop.

(Yes, wolves eat mice.)

Evolution does not "work." It does not "preserve itself." It is mindless. Directionless. Not random, but not with a purpose. New species evolve - see nylon eating bacteria. They didn't exist before humans created nylon. But nylon created a whole new resource to exploit in that particular ecosphere and it was inevitable - according to some evolutionary biologists - that such a species of bacteria would evolve.

Parasites evolved to take advantage of a resource - humans in some cases. And dogs, fir trees, insects, other parasites and so on in other cases. The only "purpose" is to be able to take in enough energy to be able to reproduce.

Mind you, I am not blaming god/s/dess for creating anything - good, evil or indifferent, since as far as I am concerned said entity (ies) does not exist. I'm saying (and I believe it is what Harrison is saying as well) is that if some entities created this earth, it isn't perfect, it is not necessarily beautiful, and they did a very sloppy job.

How did evolution start? With the first replicating molecule.

Sure purpose is an old term, but what you described as "used today" is just the modern scientific way of describing "purpose".  It ultimately means the same thing.  Purpose is simply the reason for which something exists or is used.  without a purpose, there is no balance or anything to compare or feed the entity and so it must fade out.

Yes, 95% of species have become extinct, however the balance changes based on extinction rates.  If it is a mass extinction of a species instead of a progressive extinction, there will be far more ripples in the eco/balance than if not.   Our concern in the example I mentioned would obviously be mass extinction.  Everything adapts to change over time, but when time is not given, adaptation works much slower.  The ripple effect will hit many other species and eventually stop when time catches up.   It follows the rules of the scientific "ripple effect" of species.    Considering a progressive extinction of one of the 3 I mentioned, logically due to the more abundant food supply, the other 2 still in existence would become more abundant and compensate, but again that takes time.  

No it's not "perfectly balanced" at all times by definition, but it is balanced... if it wasn't, it would collapse.  Are we perfectly balanced when we walk?  of course not, a walk is scientifically described as a controlled fall.. that's not being perfectly balanced, but if were weren't balanced at all, we would fall over... Balance is control.  perfection is not needed for balance to occur, only control.  

Things adapt of course, but here's where I have a hard time grasping evolution from a non-believer's standpoint... how can something be directionless yet not random?  Dictionary.com defines random as "occuring without definite aim" and direction as "the line along which anything lies"... so it has aim... yet no line of direction... that seems to me to defy the Law of Non-contradiction.  Can you clarify this for me?

I see also how you decide evolution starts, but how did the first replicating molecule start?  please don't give the name of any scientific theory as the answer.  I'm looking for a description if possible.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Nice thread you have going here. Reading all your various toos and fros what stands out most distinctly is the different processes of mind present. I think Cap, your earlier assertion that a collectively-held belief constitutes the basis of a religion is unusual. This implies every generally held belief - the sky is blue, or steam is hot - is a religion. I always fail to see why the godly would insist lack of religious belief is religious belief. It's a belief about religion but that's not the same thing at all. 

Cap, it seems to me that what underpins your position in the current discussion is at root, an argument from incredulity. You cannot imagine how X cannot be so. However, the accepted fact that human understanding does not encompass areas like abiogenesis or pre-bang doesn't free you to insist your speculations and assumptions may pass for reasonable belief. Indeed, you are obliged, I think, to admit you might well be wrong in suggesting an un-natural explanation is even a possibility.  

Also challenging to me is the fact that in arguing against empiricism at the edges of understanding, you put yourself in the invidious position of denying the veracity of the falsifiable hypothesis. Given what you've said here, you are not a young earther, nor do you reject evolution, and no doubt you are happy with the predictable nature of light in glass fibres and electrons in the variable resistor in the fuel tank of your car.

What this means is that in normal life you accept that empiricism is a tool that gives you the basis for reasonable beliefs about your environment. But things get sticky when we start talking about those things that are not yet known, and those things that perhaps cannot be known. From the point knowledge ends, you cut yourself free from the 'religion' of empiricism, a 'religion' of which in everyday life you are a devoted acolyte. 

As I've said elsewhere before, I think arguing intuitively, as you seem to be doing, is fine, just as long as you are prepared to agree that intuition is not a flawless instrument but is beset with confirmation bias and mistaken analogy. Most of us would by no means insist we were certain about the true nature of things. I think cj was correct up-thread when she sought to clarify what it is to believe in a thing. Perhaps the discussion should have lingered longer on that pivotal point. 

Something else that's ever challenging is the ambiguity of language when it comes to shaping our comprehension of things. Human minds can create conceptual spaces that while subjectively analogous, have no basis in external reality. When it gets right to very drill-bit of comprehension, I can't help feeling the less language used the better. The truth about life is probably a chemical equation, governed by the laws of physics, all this existing in at least 3 dimensions. It can only be polluted by our applied terms and our terrestrial analogies, and further obscured by spoken language. 

Again, and with credit to Kiwi philosopher Alan Musgrave, I feel the need to push forward the fundamental truth that single celled organisms and their antecedents, with recourse only to biochemical signalling for understanding of their environment, have survived for 3.7 billion years. The proof of this lies not just in the rocks but in all living cells. We are co-operative colonies of single celled organisms, specialised cell groups of which produce the emergent property we experience as conscious mind.    

To me the key is this. Because single celled organisms have survived so long with only biochemical signalling to describe their environment, it's clear that sense data is life's first and primary tool of comprehension. Molecular biology clearly shows that we are empiricists at the cellular level. 

This fundamental, proven first and ever since by life's ignition and its long and continued existence, is not open to speculation. The only place it seems empiricism is denied is within the human mind, which insists on applying the subjective analogies of its referred experience of the planet on which it evolved, to the sum of all things.  

I just lost a much larger explanation that included how I never denied empiricism... I had said how empiricsim is defined philisophically that all knowledge is derived by sense of experience.  

I also went on to discuss how through empiricism, we are aware of dark matter, but we have no sense of its existence.  We use its affects on those things we can sense to deduce that it exists.  I do the same with God, however with God I can also sense His presence.  So can millions of people around the world.  There's no way I can prove that to you or anyone else for that matter, but we do sense Him.  Therefore by the philisophical definition of empiricism, God can be empirically defined.  God affects those things we can sense and thus we know through those effects that He is at work.  Sure we can come up with 1000 different reasons why X happened the way it did, but when compiled and studied, the affects are the same and can be tied into a particular entity like dark matter can.  

As I said, i had a much more detailed explanation i lost, but if you want me to expand on any of this, please let me know.  I just don't feel like going through it again right now.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:The introductory

cj wrote:

The introductory quotes both resonate with me.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Charles Darwin

<Funny that quote by Darwin. It is now called the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Verified in a number of experiments.>

When contemplating any inspiring/beautiful sight, saying "my god did it," may be "a simple, convenient, and reassuring" explanation for many people. Nice, but no evidence for if a god was involved, or which god it may have been. Just because no one knows, or because understanding only comes with years of study, does not necessarily imply some god/s/dess did it. Ignorance is not evidence.

The Big Bang theory is reiterated and discussed. Shortly - there was nothing, no time, no matter, no space, not even a void. And then in an instant, there is matter, time, space and it is rapidly expanding. More rapidly than anything has ever moved since, and the universe expands for billions of years until it is as we observe it today.

This sounds incredible. It sounds made up. It is based on evidence. Many scientists resisted the theory at first. Almost all have since come to believe that is what the evidence we have shows as what happened. There are huge gaps in our understanding and knowledge. Admittedly. We don't know what triggered the event. We don't know how it was triggered. We don't know.

This doesn't mean that "goddidit." It doesn't mean aliens or some god/s/dess (maybe not yours) did it. It doesn't mean or indicate anything other than we don't know at this time. And if the theory is proved incorrect at a later date, scientists will change their belief. It is a scientific theory - which means it is not cast in stone. Disconfirming evidence means everyone stops believing in that particular theory - unlike a religion.

First cause - if everything must have a cause then so must god/s/dess. If god/s/dess can exist without cause, then so can the universe. You don't get to have it both ways.

The Big Bang neither proves nor disproves god/s/dess.

References

Leeming, David, with Margaret Leeming. A Dictionary of Creation Myths. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.

Seife, Charles. Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe. New York: Penguin Books, 2003.

Weinberg, Steven. Facing Up: Science and Its Cultural Adversaries. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2001.

-----------------

I have not read any of the references.

This is my take on the KCA and related arguments.

Energy can neither be created or destroyed. (Physics 101)

E=Mc^2   (Einstein)

Therefore, matter is energy and energy is matter. Get enough energy in one spot and you have will matter moving really fast. QED

Disclaimer: I am no physicist and I am likely blowing smoke. But it sounds just as good and maybe better than "goddidit."

It has been demonstrated in a number of psychological experiments that those who do not know, are the ones who profess the most knowledge. Experts know enough to know they don't know everything - or even really very much of anything. Even (maybe especially) in their field of expertise. This was first demonstrated by Dunning and Kruger near 40 years ago now. And there have since been many experiments that support this.

So when someone starts telling me "it is just common sense," I am pretty certain this person doesn't know doodly about the subject at hand. Non-physicists pontificating about the Big Bang are prime candidates for doodly status.

I agree with all of the above.  I have comically more often found non-believers trying to use the Big Bang to disprove God vs. believers try to use it to prove God.  

I do however claim that "we don't know yet" is just as poor of an excuse to not believe in God as "God did it" is to believe in God.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Sure purpose

caposkia wrote:

Sure purpose is an old term, but what you described as "used today" is just the modern scientific way of describing "purpose".  It ultimately means the same thing.  Purpose is simply the reason for which something exists or is used.  without a purpose, there is no balance or anything to compare or feed the entity and so it must fade out.

Yes, 95% of species have become extinct, however the balance changes based on extinction rates.  If it is a mass extinction of a species instead of a progressive extinction, there will be far more ripples in the eco/balance than if not.   Our concern in the example I mentioned would obviously be mass extinction.  Everything adapts to change over time, but when time is not given, adaptation works much slower.  The ripple effect will hit many other species and eventually stop when time catches up.   It follows the rules of the scientific "ripple effect" of species.    Considering a progressive extinction of one of the 3 I mentioned, logically due to the more abundant food supply, the other 2 still in existence would become more abundant and compensate, but again that takes time.  

No, "purpose" is not the same as filling an ecological niche. Purpose implies that there was raison d'etre, filling an ecological niche does not. There are many examples of an organism taking advantage of a resource that would ordinarily be less than healthy or even fatal for that organism.

During famine seasons, people have been known to eat poisonous plants in desperation. If you lived, fine, you maybe could find nonpoisonous food later and recover your health. People are not the only organisms that have been observed consuming something that ordinarily was avoided if circumstances were dire enough. If the organism's "purpose" is to consume a particular resource, then why attempt to survive by consuming what is usually poisonous to that organism. Organisms are very versatile - they have to be given the uncertainty of obtaining preferred resources.

If you must assign a purpose - having grandchildren is the most likely. An organism's goal is to have children that are capable of having children given the resources available to that organism.

caposkia wrote:

No it's not "perfectly balanced" at all times by definition, but it is balanced... if it wasn't, it would collapse.  Are we perfectly balanced when we walk?  of course not, a walk is scientifically described as a controlled fall.. that's not being perfectly balanced, but if were weren't balanced at all, we would fall over... Balance is control.  perfection is not needed for balance to occur, only control.  

Things adapt of course, but here's where I have a hard time grasping evolution from a non-believer's standpoint... how can something be directionless yet not random?  Dictionary.com defines random as "occuring without definite aim" and direction as "the line along which anything lies"... so it has aim... yet no line of direction... that seems to me to defy the Law of Non-contradiction.  Can you clarify this for me?

I see also how you decide evolution starts, but how did the first replicating molecule start?  please don't give the name of any scientific theory as the answer.  I'm looking for a description if possible.  

"Stochastic process" - sometimes called random process - from Wiki - "in a stochastic or random process there is some indeterminacy: even if the initial condition (or starting point) is known, there are several (often infinitely many) directions in which the process may evolve."

We are all familiar with stochastic processes as they occur all around us - the math to describe them can be hairy, but the concept is pretty straight forward. Turn on the sink faucet. Watch the water fall into the sink. Will the water spray all over the room? Only if the faucet or other plumbing break. The water will fall in a consistent pattern but it would be difficult if not impossible to predict or trace the exact path of a single water molecule. We know where the water is coming from, we know that it is under pressure, we know that gravity works on water just like any other substance. So we can make a prediction about the system - the water will fall into the sink and go down the drain - without knowing where every single molecule of water is at every given instance of time.

Evolution is the same - random events in the genetic code (deletions, duplications, insertions, inversions, translocations, errors in the molecular structure of any nucleotide base) may or may not have an impact on how well the organism functions in a particular ecological niche. But the random events that cause mutations have limitations - like the water coming out of your faucet. There are a limited number of molecular changes possible - Argon will not suddenly appear in a strand of DNA for example. Argon is a "noble" gas and does not form molecular bonds under normal (within an organism) conditions. So it has limits and constraints. Random, but not completely so.

You throw a standard six-sided die - and seven pips appear! Dude, you could make a case for a miracle at that point. When you throw a six-sided die you get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pips, not seven. Chemistry is the same way - and the process of DNA replication has limitations from the known properties of the molecule and cell nucleus.

There are also random events in the ecological niche that organism occupies. The volcano explodes, the river floods, the hill collapses, and the organisms that survive must deal with the changed environment. If they can't, they go extinct in that area. They may not go extinct in other places. Or an organism gets blown by the wind, or hitches a ride on a bird, or falls in the ocean, or sea levels rise and the organism is suddenly on an island and must adapt or go extinct. These are all random events, but are curtailed by realistic possibilities. Humans may (or may not) be having an impact on the atmosphere, but it is extremely unlikely that the atmosphere will become primarily chlorine over night. So, there is randomness with limits.

Again, evolution has no aim. There is no purpose or direction. A bacteria is not evolving to become human. It may be evolving - nylon eating bacteria, eg - but that does not constitute direction or aim. It just happens - in response to the environment, which organisms adapt to with survival strategies, which may change the environment, and so on and on. It is a never ending quest for more resources. Those best able to take advantage of the resources are the ones that will reproduce. There may or may not be competition for a particular resource - if the resource is not currently being exploited, eventually something will begin to utilize that resource and evolve to better fit in that niche.

I hope that helps.

Now, for that replicating molecule - of course no one knows for sure. But that doesn't mean we have to stick a god/s/dess in the picture. It just means we don't yet know. There are some good ideas floating around. And a lot of controversy as you get whenever scientists don't know for sure, but many have pet theories. I found this web site to be interesting if a little deep in chemistry -

http://www.evolutionofdna.com/Evolution-Of-DNA.html

Briefly, there are a number of possibilities for replicating molecules that were not - yet - RNA or DNA. Some exist in organisms today and are not used for protein production, but have other functions in the biochemistry of the organism. It's not my field, so I am not an expert. But it is kind of interesting.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I agree with

caposkia wrote:

I agree with all of the above.  I have comically more often found non-believers trying to use the Big Bang to disprove God vs. believers try to use it to prove God.  

I do however claim that "we don't know yet" is just as poor of an excuse to not believe in God as "God did it" is to believe in God.  

"We don't know yet" is not my reason for disbelief. Though, like you, I have heard people say something similar.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hey there Cap

caposkia wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I just lost a much larger explanation that included how I never denied empiricism... I had said how empiricsim is defined philisophically that all knowledge is derived by sense of experience.  

I also went on to discuss how through empiricism, we are aware of dark matter, but we have no sense of its existence.  We use its affects on those things we can sense to deduce that it exists.  I do the same with God, however with God I can also sense His presence.  So can millions of people around the world.  There's no way I can prove that to you or anyone else for that matter, but we do sense Him.  Therefore by the philisophical definition of empiricism, God can be empirically defined.  God affects those things we can sense and thus we know through those effects that He is at work.  Sure we can come up with 1000 different reasons why X happened the way it did, but when compiled and studied, the affects are the same and can be tied into a particular entity like dark matter can.  

As I said, i had a much more detailed explanation i lost, but if you want me to expand on any of this, please let me know.  I just don't feel like going through it again right now.

I know you don't deny empiricism. As I said, you accept empiricism right up to the point of uncertainty and then you go with something other than empiricism - intuition, feelings of conviction - you might describe it some other way. And again, I don't criticise thinking this way - we all do it at times - but it's something you need to be up front about. I have doubts. Why do christians insist they can know without doubts? 

I'd argue that there is a difference between the still doubtfully supported hypothesis of dark matter, which might be overturned at any moment by the discovery of some new data, and the firm belief that a god exists and that one's neurology can feel the presence of that god and that this stimulation of the limbic system is the same thing as biochemical 5-sense data. Can you see god, feel him, taste him, touch him, hear him? If not, are you imagining him?

caposkia wrote:

There's no way I can prove that to you or anyone else for that matter, but we do sense Him.  Therefore by the philisophical definition of empiricism, God can be empirically defined

If it's not possible to sense god using the 5 senses then this is an assertion. I don't mind it being an assertion. I just want you to agree it's an assertion. Personally, I am not certain philosophy can tell us much about experimental sense data other than by discussing the taxonomic labels we apply to things we have previously learnt by sense experience.

What we can do it seems, is reify an abstract noun. Feel awe towards an idea. Grant agency to an idea. This is not the same thing as the methodological empiricism I am referencing.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mmmm

caposkia wrote:

One of these is a position of skepticism in the absence of data, the other is a position of dogmatism in the absence of data.

In the absence of sufficient data there's nothing sensible in insisting you know something that is 'true'.

What is god, anyway? I still feel this mental construct the existence of which we are contesting is inadequately defined from your point of view.

Could you describe 'god' in one paragraph for me? 

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
> Image(s) off YouTube from BBC-ONE of Madagascar's past.

cj wrote:

You throw a standard six-sided die - and seven pips appear! Dude, you could make a case for a miracle at that point. When you throw a six-sided die you get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 pips, not seven. Chemistry is the same way - and the process of DNA replication has limitations from the known properties of the molecule and cell nucleus.

There are also random events in the ecological niche that organism occupies. The volcano explodes, the river floods, the hill collapses, and the organisms that survive must deal with the changed environment. If they can't, they go extinct in that area. They may not go extinct in other places. Or an organism gets blown by the wind, or hitches a ride on a bird, or falls in the ocean, or sea levels rise and the organism is suddenly on an island and must adapt or go extinct. Again, evolution has no aim. There is no purpose or direction. A bacteria is not evolving to become human. It may be evolving - nylon eating bacteria, eg - but that does not constitute direction or aim. It just happens - in response to the environment, which organisms adapt to with survival strategies, which may change the environment, and so on and on. It is a never ending quest for more resources.

Sorting out the biblical flood arrays is to be "at sixes and sevens" .. A Flood like event, when it comes to sorting, becomes a very near miracle to sink the trilobites and hold the more dense clam-type molluscs floating in the water above them. A truly near miracle would have had to have been performed to keep the Scleractinian corals suspended while two other orders of coral settled beneath them. Also, There would be a very near miracle  performed to keep thick layers of microscopic diatoms all over the earth from their mixing with the thick layers of microscopic radiolarians that settled in the 'strata' beneath them!

Forgive the indulgence but I found this from BBC-ONE of Madagascar's past. Madagascar -- an island country in the Indian Ocean, in isolation. Pics is of Majungasaurus   See :: Pic

:::

p.s. -- 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:caposkia wrote:Sure

cj wrote:

caposkia wrote:

No, "purpose" is not the same as filling an ecological niche. Purpose implies that there was raison d'etre, filling an ecological niche does not. There are many examples of an organism taking advantage of a resource that would ordinarily be less than healthy or even fatal for that organism.

During famine seasons, people have been known to eat poisonous plants in desperation. If you lived, fine, you maybe could find nonpoisonous food later and recover your health. People are not the only organisms that have been observed consuming something that ordinarily was avoided if circumstances were dire enough. If the organism's "purpose" is to consume a particular resource, then why attempt to survive by consuming what is usually poisonous to that organism. Organisms are very versatile - they have to be given the uncertainty of obtaining preferred resources.

If you must assign a purpose - having grandchildren is the most likely. An organism's goal is to have children that are capable of having children given the resources available to that organism.

caposkia wrote:

"Stochastic process" - sometimes called random process - from Wiki - "in a stochastic or random process there is some indeterminacy: even if the initial condition (or starting point) is known, there are several (often infinitely many) directions in which the process may evolve."

We are all familiar with stochastic processes as they occur all around us - the math to describe them can be hairy, but the concept is pretty straight forward. Turn on the sink faucet. Watch the water fall into the sink. Will the water spray all over the room? Only if the faucet or other plumbing break. The water will fall in a consistent pattern but it would be difficult if not impossible to predict or trace the exact path of a single water molecule. We know where the water is coming from, we know that it is under pressure, we know that gravity works on water just like any other substance. So we can make a prediction about the system - the water will fall into the sink and go down the drain - without knowing where every single molecule of water is at every given instance of time.

Evolution is the same - random events in the genetic code (deletions, duplications, insertions, inversions, translocations, errors in the molecular structure of any nucleotide base) may or may not have an impact on how well the organism functions in a particular ecological niche. But the random events that cause mutations have limitations - like the water coming out of your faucet. There are a limited number of molecular changes possible - Argon will not suddenly appear in a strand of DNA for example. Argon is a "noble" gas and does not form molecular bonds under normal (within an organism) conditions. So it has limits and constraints. Random, but not completely so.

There are also random events in the ecological niche that organism occupies. The volcano explodes, the river floods, the hill collapses, and the organisms that survive must deal with the changed environment. If they can't, they go extinct in that area. They may not go extinct in other places. Or an organism gets blown by the wind, or hitches a ride on a bird, or falls in the ocean, or sea levels rise and the organism is suddenly on an island and must adapt or go extinct. These are all random events, but are curtailed by realistic possibilities. Humans may (or may not) be having an impact on the atmosphere, but it is extremely unlikely that the atmosphere will become primarily chlorine over night. So, there is randomness with limits.

Again, evolution has no aim. There is no purpose or direction. A bacteria is not evolving to become human. It may be evolving - nylon eating bacteria, eg - but that does not constitute direction or aim. It just happens - in response to the environment, which organisms adapt to with survival strategies, which may change the environment, and so on and on. It is a never ending quest for more resources. Those best able to take advantage of the resources are the ones that will reproduce. There may or may not be competition for a particular resource - if the resource is not currently being exploited, eventually something will begin to utilize that resource and evolve to better fit in that niche.

I hope that helps.

Now, for that replicating molecule - of course no one knows for sure. But that doesn't mean we have to stick a god/s/dess in the picture. It just means we don't yet know. There are some good ideas floating around. And a lot of controversy as you get whenever scientists don't know for sure, but many have pet theories. I found this web site to be interesting if a little deep in chemistry -

http://www.evolutionofdna.com/Evolution-Of-DNA.html

Briefly, there are a number of possibilities for replicating molecules that were not - yet - RNA or DNA. Some exist in organisms today and are not used for protein production, but have other functions in the biochemistry of the organism. It's not my field, so I am not an expert. But it is kind of interesting.

I checked out that site... It's apparently down.  

in the process of clicking on the link, I lost my whole post.   

I will summarize and you can let me know if you want more detail.  

I don't buy into the idea that if no one knows yet then we need to stick God into the picture.. .likewise, just because we can explain something doesn't suggest we can dismiss God from the picture.  

I had a whole explanation on why your Stochastic process didn't really help.  I went into detail about your analogies using intelligently created things like a sink or a die to limit the randomness of an event and I asked, if randomness has limitations, is it really random?  

Water is random when it splashes in the sink, but the design ultimately uses gravity to make water go to the same location in the end.  A random event has been controlled by a design for the purpose of using the water and not having to wipe it up everywhere afterward.  The die is designed to reveal only specific numbers when rolled... What's random is what number comes up, but what's controlled is the range.  Complete randomness would allow miracles to happen every day...e.g. I'd roll a 6 sided die with the numbers 1-6 on it and if it was completely random without any focus, the number 100 is just as likely to be revealed.. we know that's absurd, but we know that because we understand the design of the die and how it would never allow such a result.  

I can explain more about this understanding if you want.  I had a lot more on it.  Got to be careful when clicking on links sometimes

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
randomness

Just to add to the idea of what random means to me, just because we are unable to predict the path or process of an event does not automatically make it random.  We can say that a comment from someone was random, but the word is kind of thrown around to mean something that was unexpected vs. it's true definition.  The process of water splashing in the sink and exactly where each dropplet would go is quite unexpected to us... but there is math behind it that ultimately could figure out the liklihood of each droplet.  This would be a very long math problem be it that there are literally thousands of droplets that would need to be accounted for, but the point remains that there is a process to it.  

i know what the Stochatic Process suggests to many people, but it doesn't leave something out to complete randomness and doesn't explain how something can be aimless yet have aim.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I know you don't deny empiricism. As I said, you accept empiricism right up to the point of uncertainty and then you go with something other than empiricism - intuition, feelings of conviction - you might describe it some other way. And again, I don't criticise thinking this way - we all do it at times - but it's something you need to be up front about. I have doubts. Why do christians insist they can know without doubts? 

You cannot empirically prove uncertainty, so what you say makes sense.

But Christians can no without doubts the same way you can claim to know your best friend exists without doubts.  You can't through a blog empirically prove he/she exists let alone your relationship with that person being as close as you say, but you still don't doubt it do you?  

Sure the reasoning then comes back that you can introduce your friend to others and they can meet your friend and shake their hand... of course. which is why I use the blog as our limitation here.  You can't do that with me... even if you could, I could doubt your relationship despite how much you tell me about it and even (in my eyes) pretend you actually are best friends.  Ultimately it's not your job to prove to me your best friends though is it... it does not hurt your relationship if I remain doubtful, it does not inhibit any part of your life if you can't convince me that you are friends.  Empiricism ultimately is out the window with this.  

You can empirically show me that you have had a history with this person, how this person has helped you through tough times, changed your life, how you've gone to movies together, etc. but so can a Christian show those same things with God... except maybe the movie part, but there are literally 1000's of testamonies out there explaining how God has changed their lives or been a part of their lives just as a best friend has with proof that they were a very different person prior to.  

This however does not prove to a doubting mind that God exists.  Our limitation with God is the physicality of God, which we rely on with the friend analogy for proof... through this blog, you cannot prove to me taht the person you claim is your best friend really is your best friend.  I have 1000 reasons to doubt you starting with I dont' know you.  Does that justify my conclusion?  Of course not, but then if I really was interested, but very resistant in accepting, how would you prove it to me? 

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'd argue that there is a difference between the still doubtfully supported hypothesis of dark matter, which might be overturned at any moment by the discovery of some new data, and the firm belief that a god exists and that one's neurology can feel the presence of that god and that this stimulation of the limbic system is the same thing as biochemical 5-sense data. Can you see god, feel him, taste him, touch him, hear him? If not, are you imagining him?

i would say I can hear Him and feel Him.  No one can see the face of God, that is very clear.  Many have seen metaphysical happenings which would suggest the likelihood of some sort of metaphysical deity existing somewhere.  

I can't say I've touched God or tasted God... i haven't tasted my boss either though I guess I've shaken their hand... but 3 out of 5 offers the liklihood that I"m not imagining Him.  

Atheistextremist wrote:

If it's not possible to sense god using the 5 senses then this is an assertion. I don't mind it being an assertion. I just want you to agree it's an assertion. Personally, I am not certain philosophy can tell us much about experimental sense data other than by discussing the taxonomic labels we apply to things we have previously learnt by sense experience.

What we can do it seems, is reify an abstract noun. Feel awe towards an idea. Grant agency to an idea. This is not the same thing as the methodological empiricism I am referencing.

I dont' know what sense it is when people feel the presence of another person who is or was in the room, but I know it happens... they didn't literally reach out and touch that person, or see them, or hear them... likely didn't taste them, but they felt them still.  

My mother is one of those people that is able to do that.  I had a friend go in her room because I wanted to show him something that was in there.  Neither one of us touched anything in her room and left no indication that we were there, but when she came home about 90 minutes later and went into her room, she asked me who was in there.  she was convinced that someone other than me had been in her room.  She didn't even know I had a friend over at that time.  This was quite a few years go, but I never forgot it.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: One

Atheistextremist wrote:

One of these is a position of skepticism in the absence of data, the other is a position of dogmatism in the absence of data.

In the absence of sufficient data there's nothing sensible in insisting you know something that is 'true'.

What is god, anyway? I still feel this mental construct the existence of which we are contesting is inadequately defined from your point of view.

Could you describe 'god' in one paragraph for me? 

That is a great question and I'm glad you asked it.  It's not an easy answer either.  I can try to put it in one paragraph, but we have to admit there are a lot of unknowns about God.  The first question that comes to my mind is if God is real, what do you think He would be?  I don't mean personality wise.

I'm sure though I could take many different angles you're looking for some physical description or material explanation of God, which is limited due to the fact that God is metaphysical.  He is spirit... so lemme see what I can put in a paragraph.

God is spirit.  He is the divine almighty spirit above all other.  Creator of heavens and Earth, of all that is seen and unseen.  The Bible describes God with hair as white as snow, eyes like the flame of a fire and a light coming from within him illuminating everything around.  When God speaks, the description has been likened to thunder or the sound of many waterfalls... in other words when God speaks it is heard all around... that does not necessarily mean God is loud, because it is said that in the quietness He can be heard.  God is said to have made man in His image... which suggests then that if God had a physical form, he would look like humans.  

With a description of what God is, it's important to discuss what God is not.  God is not "as simplistic as we often paint God to be" (God according to God).  This book goes on to state that if we ever received a message from outerspace; "the message would be studied and analyzed for every nuance.  The Bible, if Divine in orgin, is a message from totally "outer space".  It requires careful study."

Careful study of scripture paints a good picture of what and who God is.  

I'm sure this falls way short of what you 'need' for a description of What God is, but understanding that God first and foremost is metaphysical, it really limits our ability to describe Him.  So in most cases, He is described by character and not physical traits.  

non-believers tend to villify God and use words like tyrannical, evil, selfish, murderous etc.  

Beleivers tend to elevate God and use words like good, kind, loving, caring, guiding etc.  

Both descriptions have claimed to have been based off of scripture.  So how can both be reconciled if both are true about God?  I would say both when strictly using the words they're using above are not studying scripture deep enough.  

This of course would go way beyond the paragraph you asked for here, so I'll stop here and see where it takes us.

Please dont' forget the question I asked you at the beginning becasue I am truly curious as to how you'd answer that.  It could help me figure out how to describe Him to you.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: Just to add

caposkia wrote:

Just to add to the idea of what random means to me, just because we are unable to predict the path or process of an event does not automatically make it random.  We can say that a comment from someone was random, but the word is kind of thrown around to mean something that was unexpected vs. it's true definition.  The process of water splashing in the sink and exactly where each dropplet would go is quite unexpected to us... but there is math behind it that ultimately could figure out the liklihood of each droplet.  This would be a very long math problem be it that there are literally thousands of droplets that would need to be accounted for, but the point remains that there is a process to it.  

i know what the Stochatic Process suggests to many people, but it doesn't leave something out to complete randomness and doesn't explain how something can be aimless yet have aim.   

"True" randomness really doesn't exist. From what math and engineering and software design classes I have had, all random processes have limits. The technical term is "pseudo-random," that is, it looks random to us humans, but it really is not. The opposite is a false pattern. Events that appear to have a pattern, but when you mathematically analyze them, they are random within the expected limits for that process.

It is not an easy concept. I had to program a truly random number generator subroutine once. The problem? Most canned random number generators that come with a particular compiler are pseudo-random. They always presents the same string of numbers. It starts with a "seed" number - which is a constant if you just use the default routine. To make it truly random you have to generate a random "seed." So the random number generator will then always generate a new set of numbers every time you run it. Confusing? Yeah. Easy? Depends on how clever you can get.

Evolution is not random. It is stochastic in that we can not predict exactly what will happen, but it has limitations in the underlying chemical and physical laws. So we can make broad generalizations and predictions. No Argon atoms in the DNA, e.g. But predicting that one day there will be a specific mutation that will lead to a specific species? No.

And again, evolution does not have an "aim." Evolution is the name of a process, not an entity. There is no goal, no direction, no desire.

The organism only "aims" to gain resources. If you are talking about humans, our desires and goals can be pretty complex - unless we are really short on resources. If you are starving, only food will matter, only gaining food will be your aim. And from first hand accounts of famines, even your children may be left along side the road as you search for food. (I refer you to accounts of some of the historical famines.) It is the quest for resources that leads to an appearance of "aim," of direction. But this is a false pattern, brought about by people's tendency to see patterns where none exist.

What may be a trait that leads to an advantage in gaining resources today, may become a liability if the environment changes. An example might be the praying mantis that looks like an orchid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenopus_coronatus

There are other species, this one is found in South East Asia. They are highly specialized. That is, they have a very specific body shape and color for specific prey. If their habitat changes, if their prey become extinct, they will become extinct. That distinctive shape and coloration is not adaptable to - say, the wheat fields of Kansas where they would be easy prey themselves.

So your perception of aim, of direction, is an illusion. Change in the environment could come very quickly and what was adaptive become maladaptive.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:i would say I

caposkia wrote:

i would say I can hear Him and feel Him.  No one can see the face of God, that is very clear.  Many have seen metaphysical happenings which would suggest the likelihood of some sort of metaphysical deity existing somewhere.  

I can't say I've touched God or tasted God... i haven't tasted my boss either though I guess I've shaken their hand... but 3 out of 5 offers the liklihood that I"m not imagining Him.  

Funny. If it wasn't about religion, you could be diagnosed as delusional. Hearing and feeling that which does not exist? If I told you I heard and felt my pink unicorn god, you would say......

caposkia wrote:

I dont' know what sense it is when people feel the presence of another person who is or was in the room, but I know it happens... they didn't literally reach out and touch that person, or see them, or hear them... likely didn't taste them, but they felt them still.  

My mother is one of those people that is able to do that.  I had a friend go in her room because I wanted to show him something that was in there.  Neither one of us touched anything in her room and left no indication that we were there, but when she came home about 90 minutes later and went into her room, she asked me who was in there.  she was convinced that someone other than me had been in her room.  She didn't even know I had a friend over at that time.  This was quite a few years go, but I never forgot it.  

I would guess - smell. People have distinct body odors. Maybe you were used to your friend and so didn't notice. Maybe to you, your body odor masks other people's. Don't know. But I can tell when my husband has been visiting and usually which friend or relative just from the difference in his odor.

Those of you cheating on your SO's, take heed.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:"True" randomness

cj wrote:

"True" randomness really doesn't exist. From what math and engineering and software design classes I have had, all random processes have limits. The technical term is "pseudo-random," that is, it looks random to us humans, but it really is not. The opposite is a false pattern. Events that appear to have a pattern, but when you mathematically analyze them, they are random within the expected limits for that process.

It is not an easy concept. I had to program a truly random number generator subroutine once. The problem? Most canned random number generators that come with a particular compiler are pseudo-random. They always presents the same string of numbers. It starts with a "seed" number - which is a constant if you just use the default routine. To make it truly random you have to generate a random "seed." So the random number generator will then always generate a new set of numbers every time you run it. Confusing? Yeah. Easy? Depends on how clever you can get.

Evolution is not random. It is stochastic in that we can not predict exactly what will happen, but it has limitations in the underlying chemical and physical laws. So we can make broad generalizations and predictions. No Argon atoms in the DNA, e.g. But predicting that one day there will be a specific mutation that will lead to a specific species? No.

And again, evolution does not have an "aim." Evolution is the name of a process, not an entity. There is no goal, no direction, no desire.

The organism only "aims" to gain resources. If you are talking about humans, our desires and goals can be pretty complex - unless we are really short on resources. If you are starving, only food will matter, only gaining food will be your aim. And from first hand accounts of famines, even your children may be left along side the road as you search for food. (I refer you to accounts of some of the historical famines.) It is the quest for resources that leads to an appearance of "aim," of direction. But this is a false pattern, brought about by people's tendency to see patterns where none exist.

What may be a trait that leads to an advantage in gaining resources today, may become a liability if the environment changes. An example might be the praying mantis that looks like an orchid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenopus_coronatus

There are other species, this one is found in South East Asia. They are highly specialized. That is, they have a very specific body shape and color for specific prey. If their habitat changes, if their prey become extinct, they will become extinct. That distinctive shape and coloration is not adaptable to - say, the wheat fields of Kansas where they would be easy prey themselves.

So your perception of aim, of direction, is an illusion. Change in the environment could come very quickly and what was adaptive become maladaptive.

Driving is a process not an entity, but the concept of driving a car has an aim... to get from point A to point B.  Otherwise the process of driving would be unnecessary.  

I'm not saying "evolution" has aim, rather the intention of evolution has a specific aim just as driving does.  You get in your car and drive because you have a place to go.  things evolve because they need to survive an ever changing environment.  If there's a creator, it sounds like a carefully planned out process.  

There may not be specific goals in evolution from one moment to the next, rather it waits for other processes to affect the subject in question in order for adaptation to occur.  I know that sounds like I'm personifying evolution, but that's not my intention.   I'm visualizing a chain reaction occurrence.  

I want to stay on the same page with you here, so can you prove that we see a false pattern in evolution?   I'm thinking that assuming a false pattern in evolution could be a logical faux pas.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:caposkia wrote:i

cj wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Funny. If it wasn't about religion, you could be diagnosed as delusional. Hearing and feeling that which does not exist? If I told you I heard and felt my pink unicorn god, you would say......

The problem with your statement is you make a large assumption that what I feel and hear and see doesn't exist.  

Knowing what I know of you now if you told me that you heard and felt your pink unicorn god, I would say that you're trying to make a faulty comparison.  

cj wrote:

I would guess - smell. People have distinct body odors. Maybe you were used to your friend and so didn't notice. Maybe to you, your body odor masks other people's. Don't know. But I can tell when my husband has been visiting and usually which friend or relative just from the difference in his odor.

Those of you cheating on your SO's, take heed.

you could guess smell, but it doesn't explain how she knew He was in her room.  His smell would likely have been all over the house be it that he spent a few hours there and only about 1 minute in her room.  Considering the process of smell, she would have been accustomed to his smell by the time she got to her room and thus would not have made a correlation that someone was specifically there simply by his smell.  She more likely would have asked who was in the house if smell was the culprit.  

Don't need to get sidetracked on this, but the point remains that a presence was sensed without actually being there.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: Driving is a

caposkia wrote:

Driving is a process not an entity, but the concept of driving a car has an aim... to get from point A to point B.  Otherwise the process of driving would be unnecessary.  

I'm not saying "evolution" has aim, rather the intention of evolution has a specific aim just as driving does.  You get in your car and drive because you have a place to go.  things evolve because they need to survive an ever changing environment.  If there's a creator, it sounds like a carefully planned out process.  

There may not be specific goals in evolution from one moment to the next, rather it waits for other processes to affect the subject in question in order for adaptation to occur.  I know that sounds like I'm personifying evolution, but that's not my intention.   I'm visualizing a chain reaction occurrence.  

I want to stay on the same page with you here, so can you prove that we see a false pattern in evolution?   I'm thinking that assuming a false pattern in evolution could be a logical faux pas.  

My difficulty with your analogies is it sounds as if your car is driving itself. And it isn't. Yes, you get in the car and you have a destination. Hopefully, you don't have mechanical issues or accidents or road work or.... and you get to where you want to go. Fine.

Evolution is not "driving" anywhere. It has no intention. It is not going anywhere. It does not "wait for other processes." It is not a "chain reaction." You (and I and everyone else in the world) have 100 to 200 mutations, of which approximately 30-40 may be inherited by our children. Does any one one of those mutations confer advantage? Who knows? Will it confer advantage or disadvantage or have a neutral effect in the future? Unknown. Is it important? Unless it confers advantage or disadvantage, now or in the future, no. This is the random part of the process. There is no direction, aim, drive, intent, waiting, or any other active verb. Mutations happen all the time and there is no rhyme or reason.

Can I prove that the patterns some people believe they see in evolution is a false pattern? There are so many examples. The Panda's Thumb (an essay by Stephen Jay Gould.) "De-evolution," which is technically called vestigiality and is the loss or reduction of a body structure which used to have a function but no longer does. Legs in whales, e.g. (There is a tourist attraction on the Oregon Coast. A whale skeleton is mounted in the window of a shop. You can clearly see the vestigial legs on the skeleton.) (Yes, the whale is classic, but there are many, many other examples.) Ring species. A collection of species where close relatives can all interbreed but those at either end of the ring, can not. Arctic gulls is the classic example, but domestic dogs also qualify. (You can not breed Chihuahuas with Great Danes, but you can breed all intermediate dogs together, from Chihuahuas up to Great Danes.) Maladaptive or less than perfect adaptations. Human backs and knees. Need I explain this one? Walking upright must confer advantage or humans would not be so successful. But bipedalism comes with the price of bad backs and knees.

The more you know about the different species - I mean really KNOW as in expert knowledge - the more you realize there isn't any pattern.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:  My difficulty

cj wrote:

My difficulty with your analogies is it sounds as if your car is driving itself. And it isn't. Yes, you get in the car and you have a destination. Hopefully, you don't have mechanical issues or accidents or road work or.... and you get to where you want to go. Fine.

Evolution is not "driving" anywhere. It has no intention. It is not going anywhere. It does not "wait for other processes." It is not a "chain reaction." You (and I and everyone else in the world) have 100 to 200 mutations, of which approximately 30-40 may be inherited by our children. Does any one one of those mutations confer advantage? Who knows? Will it confer advantage or disadvantage or have a neutral effect in the future? Unknown. Is it important? Unless it confers advantage or disadvantage, now or in the future, no. This is the random part of the process. There is no direction, aim, drive, intent, waiting, or any other active verb. Mutations happen all the time and there is no rhyme or reason.

Can I prove that the patterns some people believe they see in evolution is a false pattern? There are so many examples. The Panda's Thumb (an essay by Stephen Jay Gould.) "De-evolution," which is technically called vestigiality and is the loss or reduction of a body structure which used to have a function but no longer does. Legs in whales, e.g. (There is a tourist attraction on the Oregon Coast. A whale skeleton is mounted in the window of a shop. You can clearly see the vestigial legs on the skeleton.) (Yes, the whale is classic, but there are many, many other examples.) Ring species. A collection of species where close relatives can all interbreed but those at either end of the ring, can not. Arctic gulls is the classic example, but domestic dogs also qualify. (You can not breed Chihuahuas with Great Danes, but you can breed all intermediate dogs together, from Chihuahuas up to Great Danes.) Maladaptive or less than perfect adaptations. Human backs and knees. Need I explain this one? Walking upright must confer advantage or humans would not be so successful. But bipedalism comes with the price of bad backs and knees.

The more you know about the different species - I mean really KNOW as in expert knowledge - the more you realize there isn't any pattern.

The analogy about the car is really discussing the design and purpose, not the aspect of it driving itself.  The cars purpose is to get someone from point A to point B.  The evolutionary purpose is the success of life.  I can see what you're talking about above, but it's one sided.  You're looking at the problems with evolution and not what has come of it.  Sure people get bad backs and knees... so do species of dog, but they're not upright.  We can blame our way of mobility on that, but what has it benefited us?  nothing?  c'mon really?  We have no greater purpose to walk upright than to get sore backs and bad knees? 

What you explained above only further shows me that evolution has a specific design/pattern not necessarily a conscious thinking process (though I know I claimed the possibility earlier)  The possibility still applies, but lets assume for a moment that it is literally just design.  The design still has a purpose and that's the success of life.  The design only goes by the information it gets and many times it doesn't get information in time and/or is too slow to adapt to the new information.  The thing is, life still exists despite the odds against it. 

Nothing that you gave as an example shows me a false pattern.  You're looking at anomalies in a pattern, but in statistics, anomalies aren't usually considered in the results.  The results show that life has changed drastically for all species over many millenia and is bound to continue to change due to the ever changing environment and living conditions.  This change is generally understood to have only benifitted life in such a way to allow it to continue.  Do I know what life would be like with whales that had feet?  no, but that doesn't mean that feet on whales would be better or worse.  Evolution just didn't go in that direction for the whales.  I'm sure if we really looked at the factors involved, there would be a reason behind it.  From what I can see today, it ultimately was not necessary for the survival of the species.  That would likely be the most logical reason why that adaptation never took off.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:The analogy

caposkia wrote:

The analogy about the car is really discussing the design and purpose, not the aspect of it driving itself.  The cars purpose is to get someone from point A to point B.  The evolutionary purpose is the success of life.  I can see what you're talking about above, but it's one sided.  You're looking at the problems with evolution and not what has come of it.  Sure people get bad backs and knees... so do species of dog, but they're not upright.  We can blame our way of mobility on that, but what has it benefited us?  nothing?  c'mon really?  We have no greater purpose to walk upright than to get sore backs and bad knees? 

What you explained above only further shows me that evolution has a specific design/pattern not necessarily a conscious thinking process (though I know I claimed the possibility earlier)  The possibility still applies, but lets assume for a moment that it is literally just design.  The design still has a purpose and that's the success of life.  The design only goes by the information it gets and many times it doesn't get information in time and/or is too slow to adapt to the new information.  The thing is, life still exists despite the odds against it. 

Nothing that you gave as an example shows me a false pattern.  You're looking at anomalies in a pattern, but in statistics, anomalies aren't usually considered in the results.  The results show that life has changed drastically for all species over many millenia and is bound to continue to change due to the ever changing environment and living conditions.  This change is generally understood to have only benifitted life in such a way to allow it to continue.  Do I know what life would be like with whales that had feet?  no, but that doesn't mean that feet on whales would be better or worse.  Evolution just didn't go in that direction for the whales.  I'm sure if we really looked at the factors involved, there would be a reason behind it.  From what I can see today, it ultimately was not necessary for the survival of the species.  That would likely be the most logical reason why that adaptation never took off.

One could also say a car's purpose is to get you to buy it so the people who work for the automobile manufacturer, the car dealership, etc. all have jobs. "Purpose" is usually never singular. And the examples I gave were not "statistical anomalies," but rather some examples I had off the top of my head. Those examples are far from an exhaustive list. The changes in DNA occur whether beneficial or harmful or neutral. They are random. If harmful, the organism either dies or doesn't reproduce, if beneficial, the organism may be able to produce more offspring than any other related organism. If neutral, they have no effect on the number of offspring produced. No purpose, just chance -

I am going to drop the subject and move on. This is very much off topic from chapter 7. We will discuss evolution again in chapters 22 and 31. The current discussion is more in line with chapter 31, I believe. We'll get there.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chapter 10 - Believing in my god makes me happy

"I've got the joy, joy, joy down in my heart..."

Yeah, when I went to Foursquare Gospel, we sang that song a lot. A collection of Johnny Cash' "Cash Unearthed" has a cd, "My Mother's Hymn Book." When my husband put it on the first time, he was shocked - he and I are both atheists - and I was surprised. I knew all but one of the hymns on that album and sang along.

Harrison says this more honest and defensible than most arguments for gods. And he isn't going to directly argue against it as he wants happy people and a happy world just like most of us.

Is it a real god that is making believers happy or the act of believing that makes people happy? (Sounds to me kind of like the difference between being in love with someone or being in love with being in love.) Harrison has personally met many people of different faiths who are obviously very happy worshiping their particular god. Strangely, Buddhists may be the happiest of all - and they do not worship the Buddha as a god.

So we must turn to science for studies on what constitutes happy people. Adrian White created a "World Map of Happiness" in a study in 2006. Of the top 10 happiest countries, 8 also have some of the highest percentages of nonbelievers. One religious nation was the christian Bahamas. The other was Brunei, an Islamic nation. The least happy nations were all highly religious societies with few nonbelievers.

Deriving joy from belief in a god is not proof of that deity's existence. One can be happy without believing in a god. You can still sing "Silent Night" and decorate a tree during the winter holiday season if you want without believing in christian faith. You can participate in other religions and enjoy the company of people who enjoy those rituals as well without giving up your ability to think freely and vigorously.

References

"Buddhists 'Really Are Happier.'" BBC, May 21, 2003, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3047291.stm

Kurtz, Paul. Living without Religion: Eupraxophy. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books, 1994. An excellent book capable of calming those who are worried about life with no gods.

"Psychologist Produces the First-Ever 'World Map of Happiness.'" Science Daily, November 14, 2006. http://sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061113093726.htm

Zuckerman, Phil. "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns." In The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. Michael Martin, 47-65. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005.

--------------------

I haven't read any of the references. I have skimmed the two given web articles and the links are still good.

My own personal experience is that religion did not make me happy. While I did not come from a coercive background - that is, I was never forced to attend church or threatened with dire consequences if I didn't - I still could not force myself to believe totally, to make that "leap of faith." There was always a little part of me saying, oh, this is bullpucky. Even when I was a child. So I really do feel happier for not trying to force myself into a mold that never fit. (See my sig.)

And years ago, I would have said, if it makes you feel good, go for it. But then - well, I had some experiences that have caused me to change my opinion. I don't believe religion makes anyone happy long term. For brief moments when you are participating in some group action, you may feel happy. But I don't believe it lasts for long, and I don't believe anyone is totally happy feeling they must strive for a golden ticket to some heavenly utopia. Or worse yet, that they are sinners and are worthless. I know, not every religious person believes they are worthless, but those that do are just pitiable.

And for those who must profess in an inerrant bible in order to remain in their congregation - the cognitive dissonance must be real hard to deal with.

Maybe that was my problem all along. I can't deal with the cognitive dissonance - it hurts!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Postscript on Chapter 10

I did not mean to imply that lack of religion is what makes people happy. Instead, it is an artifact of a strong economy and stable government. My opinion is that having a good environment to live and work in reduces the need people feel for stability and comfort and their need to "get out" of their present circumstances. If your current circumstances in life are really good, why search for a "better life?"

My theory seems to be supported by the US being 23th on that list. We are the most religious of all industrialized nations, yet we aren't the happiest despite our determination to claim so. There is a lot of economic inequity. People are not as comfortable as I was when young and we made a lot less money but things cost a lot less as well. Economic uncertainty causes a lot of discontent. And a search for a "better life." If you can't get it here on earth working in a cube farm or in a retail shop, where else can you go? Maybe heaven is the answer for some people.

Edit: Correcting my numbers.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:One could also say

cj wrote:

One could also say a car's purpose is to get you to buy it so the people who work for the automobile manufacturer, the car dealership, etc. all have jobs. "Purpose" is usually never singular. And the examples I gave were not "statistical anomalies," but rather some examples I had off the top of my head. Those examples are far from an exhaustive list. The changes in DNA occur whether beneficial or harmful or neutral. They are random. If harmful, the organism either dies or doesn't reproduce, if beneficial, the organism may be able to produce more offspring than any other related organism. If neutral, they have no effect on the number of offspring produced. No purpose, just chance -

I am going to drop the subject and move on. This is very much off topic from chapter 7. We will discuss evolution again in chapters 22 and 31. The current discussion is more in line with chapter 31, I believe. We'll get there.

Right.  We can go all day on the many possible purposes of any subject, but all in all, there's typically an origin purpose... e.g. the invention of the car was supposed to be a better way of getting from point A to point B period.  Beyond that of course as the product evolves there will be more purposes imposed upon it.  Evolution can be individualized and categorized, but if created, can be seen for one main purpose.  

Moving on.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:"I've got the joy,

cj wrote:

"I've got the joy, joy, joy down in my heart..."

Yeah, when I went to Foursquare Gospel, we sang that song a lot. A collection of Johnny Cash' "Cash Unearthed" has a cd, "My Mother's Hymn Book." When my husband put it on the first time, he was shocked - he and I are both atheists - and I was surprised. I knew all but one of the hymns on that album and sang along.

Harrison says this more honest and defensible than most arguments for gods. And he isn't going to directly argue against it as he wants happy people and a happy world just like most of us.

Is it a real god that is making believers happy or the act of believing that makes people happy? (Sounds to me kind of like the difference between being in love with someone or being in love with being in love.) Harrison has personally met many people of different faiths who are obviously very happy worshiping their particular god. Strangely, Buddhists may be the happiest of all - and they do not worship the Buddha as a god.

So we must turn to science for studies on what constitutes happy people. Adrian White created a "World Map of Happiness" in a study in 2006. Of the top 10 happiest countries, 8 also have some of the highest percentages of nonbelievers. One religious nation was the christian Bahamas. The other was Brunei, an Islamic nation. The least happy nations were all highly religious societies with few nonbelievers.

Deriving joy from belief in a god is not proof of that deity's existence. One can be happy without believing in a god. You can still sing "Silent Night" and decorate a tree during the winter holiday season if you want without believing in christian faith. You can participate in other religions and enjoy the company of people who enjoy those rituals as well without giving up your ability to think freely and vigorously.

References

"Buddhists 'Really Are Happier.'" BBC, May 21, 2003, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3047291.stm

Kurtz, Paul. Living without Religion: Eupraxophy. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books, 1994. An excellent book capable of calming those who are worried about life with no gods.

"Psychologist Produces the First-Ever 'World Map of Happiness.'" Science Daily, November 14, 2006. http://sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061113093726.htm

Zuckerman, Phil. "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns." In The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. Michael Martin, 47-65. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005.

--------------------

I haven't read any of the references. I have skimmed the two given web articles and the links are still good.

My own personal experience is that religion did not make me happy. While I did not come from a coercive background - that is, I was never forced to attend church or threatened with dire consequences if I didn't - I still could not force myself to believe totally, to make that "leap of faith." There was always a little part of me saying, oh, this is bullpucky. Even when I was a child. So I really do feel happier for not trying to force myself into a mold that never fit. (See my sig.)

And years ago, I would have said, if it makes you feel good, go for it. But then - well, I had some experiences that have caused me to change my opinion. I don't believe religion makes anyone happy long term. For brief moments when you are participating in some group action, you may feel happy. But I don't believe it lasts for long, and I don't believe anyone is totally happy feeling they must strive for a golden ticket to some heavenly utopia. Or worse yet, that they are sinners and are worthless. I know, not every religious person believes they are worthless, but those that do are just pitiable.

And for those who must profess in an inerrant bible in order to remain in their congregation - the cognitive dissonance must be real hard to deal with.

Maybe that was my problem all along. I can't deal with the cognitive dissonance - it hurts!

Which is why I can't stand religion.  I feel happier too not trying to force myself into a mold that never fit... in fact, I never tried... others have throughout my life, but they seemed quite miserable... and ignorant and I didn't want any part of that.  Reading the NT, being a Christian means to open your eyes to Truth and not let religious sects determine what you should or should not do/believe/eat/want/drink/pee on...  Religion is not what God is about in my understanding...

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I did not mean to

cj wrote:

I did not mean to imply that lack of religion is what makes people happy. Instead, it is an artifact of a strong economy and stable government. My opinion is that having a good environment to live and work in reduces the need people feel for stability and comfort and their need to "get out" of their present circumstances. If your current circumstances in life are really good, why search for a "better life?"

My theory seems to be supported by the US being 23th on that list. We are the most religious of all industrialized nations, yet we aren't the happiest despite our determination to claim so. There is a lot of economic inequity. People are not as comfortable as I was when young and we made a lot less money but things cost a lot less as well. Economic uncertainty causes a lot of discontent. And a search for a "better life." If you can't get it here on earth working in a cube farm or in a retail shop, where else can you go? Maybe heaven is the answer for some people.

Edit: Correcting my numbers.

I didn't think you were... but religion in my opinion does make it a little harder to be happy if you allow it to determine your next steps.  The problem with our country is religion is politics now adays... which actually goes against the separation of  church and state.  e.g. due to religious institutions trying to play gov't they're making laws based around who can marry who and where it's ok or not ok.. which in turn has turned gay rights into a religion of itself battling against the idea to have the restrictive laws... if we followed Separation of Church and state, this would not be an issue... churches would have the right to refuse to marry gay/lesbian couples and yet those same people could find a justice of the peace... or maybe another church that would and not have to move out of state to do it.  Politically and legally if they can get married, the papers should be treated like any other marriage certificate.  

Sadly this is just one of the more obvious examples of where this separation of church and state is being broken.  It's rediculous how ignorant we are as a country to our own laws.