Marriage Privatization

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marriage Privatization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_privatization

The entire gay marriage debate shows how irrational are both the political right and left. Neither group thinks through any issue, just an emotional knee jerk reaction to everything.

Legal marriage is by definition a form of discrimination against those that are unmarried. If anyone is for the concept of equal rights, how can they be for legal marriage with tax breaks and other special privileges not afforded to singles?

Currently, the largest group of people living in poverty are households headed by single parents, usually women. But if these single parents work hard to earn a good income, we hit them with a tax penalty for not being married. How can anyone say they are for the working poor or for single mothers and still support the rules for marriage in this country?

So not gay people can discrimate against singles? How great! The only answer is to get the government out of the marriage business and have true equality for all, married and single.

http://www.kxl.com/03/27/13/Get-Government-Out-Of-Marriage/landing_lars.html?blockID=675881&feedID=10628

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I agree, but doubt that

I agree, but doubt that argument will ever be seriously considered in our country. 

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:  Neither group

EXC wrote:

Neither group thinks through any issue, just an emotional knee jerk reaction to everything.

I would have to say that I agree with this assessment 100 %.

EXC wrote:

Legal marriage is by definition a form of discrimination against those that are unmarried. If anyone is for the concept of equal rights, how can they be for legal marriage with tax breaks and other special privileges not afforded to singles?

My girlfriend and I are unmarried, I would actually have to say that I agree with this sentence as well.

I doubt that you will ever see the government get out of the marriage business. Governments have been involved in this particular institution for as far back as history can go.

But, to quote the old actress Mae West : "Marriage is a fine institution, but I am not ready to commit to an institution."  Smiling

But, since the government IS going to be getting involved, I say let the gay people marry.

Both me and my girlfriend could go ahead and get married if we truly wanted to, but neither of us believes in it. That way, when things go south, you split up. No courts, no lawyers, no nothing. Since we have both committed to never having any children, no child support worries either.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You get a choice here. Take

You get a choice here. Take in a constant stream of immigrants, or give benefits to those who have kids. Do neither and your country will be dead and gone LONG before overpopulation becomes a real hazard.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, I've known about this

Yep, I've known about this issue. A group of friends from work were discussing it. Single parents are discriminated against just like people who are contract workers. Only if you have a full time, permanent job with a company can you get great insurance. Doesn't make sense that your insurance is tied to your job, but there it is; as a contractor I should be afforded the same health care opportunities as the other employees.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Yep,

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Yep, I've known about this issue. A group of friends from work were discussing it. Single parents are discriminated against just like people who are contract workers. Only if you have a full time, permanent job with a company can you get great insurance. Doesn't make sense that your insurance is tied to your job, but there it is; as a contractor I should be afforded the same health care opportunities as the other employees.

I agree

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I agree, but doubt that argument will ever be seriously considered in our country. 

The problem is the media, they won't even bring up the issue. They assume everyone is either pro gay marriage or against. Yet they don't even explain what legal marriage means. So the American idiocracy is either for or against something that they don't even understand. Just like everyone must be either Republican or Democrat. I think journalism students are taught to see all issues as black and white. Having everything be a battle of good vs. evil sells newspapers.

On CNN, they were interviewing a congressman about gay marriage and he said his constituents were asking him why doesn't government get out of the marriage business all together? The interviewer just ignored his comments. So there is a substantial group that see a rational alternative. But the media tells everyone what they need to be.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I agree

If you're married or have children, your company has to pay substantially more for your benefits(health, dental, life). So single people are getting much less in net compensation than married people. If companies gave you cash only instead of benefits it would be obvious how singles are discriminated against.

I'm actually a contract worker because I can negotiate higher cash payments because I don't have to subsidize other peoples' insurance. I think companies should get out of providing benefits altogether.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Both

harleysportster wrote:

Both me and my girlfriend could go ahead and get married if we truly wanted to, but neither of us believes in it. That way, when things go south, you split up. No courts, no lawyers, no nothing. Since we have both committed to never having any children, no child support worries either.

Not really. There are pleanty of unmarried couples that break up and have big legal fights over property. In fact you may have less legal issues as married because the law is defined on how to split property. For single's with no contract, it can be pretty muddy who owns what.

So instead of legal marriage, there should just be legal contracts for any people that live together or have joint property.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:So instead of

EXC wrote:

So instead of legal marriage, there should just be legal contracts for any people that live together or have joint property.

I would be behind that all of the way.

― Giordano Bruno