Chihuahua distracts pitbull to save 8 year old girl

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chihuahua distracts pitbull to save 8 year old girl

BY TYLER OLSEN, CHILLIWACK TIMES MARCH 27, 2013

An eight-year-old Chilliwack girl who survived a vicious pit bull attack last week may have a tiny chihuahua to thank for her life.

Jenna, a Grade 3 student, was looking for bunnies outside her grandparents' east Chilliwack home last Tuesday when a neighbour's pit bull escaped its enclosure and attacked her.

The dog took her down at the knees and clamped its powerful jaws on her face - resulting in serious facial injuries and hundreds of stitches. That's when Honey, a four-year-old chihuahua owned by Jenna's grandmother Anne Marie Des-rochers, intervened.

The small dog barked at the larger animal, distracting the pit bull from Jenna. The pit bull released the girl and pursued and briefly caught Honey before heading back toward Jenna. The pit bull was then collared by its owner

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Chihuahua+aids+girl+bull+attack/8157426/story.html

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
as a person who grew up on a

as a person who grew up on a farm where we had a realistic view of animals, stories like this fucking piss me off.  i'm not going to jump on the anti-pit bull bandwagon; i've known plenty that were fine, docile animals--staffordshire bull terriers in particular.  however, if these dog owners, living in a residential area right next to young children, knew their animal was vicious enough that it had to be muzzled and harnassed, then they're pieces of shit for not having it put down, or at least sent out to some isolated farm.

if that dog had been raised in my family and turned out that way, my grandfather would have taken one look at it, grumbled something like, "it's no good," and put a bullet in its head.  done and done.  no injured children.  when it comes to humans possibly being in danger, an animal's life is forfeit: that was always our philosophy.  not cruel, but not sentimental either.  sentimental dog owners can cause as many problems as abusive dog owners in situations like this.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
In Florida if your dog

In Florida if your dog attacks another person it is considered an attack by you. A judge can charge you for the attack with intent to do bodily harm. The owner of a dog which attacks any other dog, animal, pet or person is liable for the attack and it doesn't matter if you were present at the time or negligible. The only way out from a dog attack is you must prove the dog was provoked to attack.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:as a person who

iwbiek wrote:

as a person who grew up on a farm where we had a realistic view of animals, stories like this fucking piss me off.  i'm not going to jump on the anti-pit bull bandwagon; i've known plenty that were fine, docile animals--staffordshire bull terriers in particular.  however, if these dog owners, living in a residential area right next to young children, knew their animal was vicious enough that it had to be muzzled and harnassed, then they're pieces of shit for not having it put down, or at least sent out to some isolated farm.

if that dog had been raised in my family and turned out that way, my grandfather would have taken one look at it, grumbled something like, "it's no good," and put a bullet in its head.  done and done.  no injured children.  when it comes to humans possibly being in danger, an animal's life is forfeit: that was always our philosophy.  not cruel, but not sentimental either.  sentimental dog owners can cause as many problems as abusive dog owners in situations like this.

State, county and city laws all prevent people from having more than 1 or 2 dogs to prevent "packs" from forming. Only people who live in rural areas, are dog trainers, breeders or vet/dog sitters, are allowed to have more than X number of dogs.

There is a list of "dangerous" canines and people who own these dogs have higher insurance rates. We will refuse to rent properties to these dog owners because the number of dog attacks from these breeds are extremely high.

Dog owners must take responsibility for owning an animal of this species. It is an earned privilege and not something I take lightly, especially when my daughter is near one of these animals.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought the neat part of

I thought the neat part of this story was that a tiny ass rodent saved a kid from a dog probably 5 times its size. Wasn't my intention to spark a fight on breeds and owners etc. But whatever works I suppose.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i didn't realize anybody was

i didn't realize anybody was fighting...

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I thought the

Vastet wrote:
I thought the neat part of this story was that a tiny ass rodent saved a kid from a dog probably 5 times its size. Wasn't my intention to spark a fight on breeds and owners etc. But whatever works I suppose.

I thought it was a good feeling story too. Wonder what happened to the little dog, "honey"?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i didn't

iwbiek wrote:

i didn't realize anybody was fighting...

It's the cold weather and mushrooms he eats. It confuses him. Be gentle.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Not being serious here but

Not being serious here but part of me would have liked to unleash a cat such as in my avatar upon the offending dog.  Crunch, crunch, crunch , buh bye, poochie!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The little dog wasn't hurt

The little dog wasn't hurt at all, amazingly.
Perhaps fight wasn't the best term, but one more suitable doesn't come to mind that adequately characterises the response to the article.
Also, I haven't done shrooms in years. You might want to try some though, DB, you obviously aren't aware of their real effects.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm glad the little dog

I'm glad the little dog is okay, too bad about the young girl, though.  Hope she recovers without too much scarring.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: Not

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Not being serious here but part of me would have liked to unleash a cat such as in my avatar upon the offending dog.  Crunch, crunch, crunch , buh bye, poochie!

Being slightly serious, release it on the pit bulls owner. Now you have a dead pit bull and an injured girl because some dumb ass thought it would be cool to own a pit bull and not socialize it. I can understand why some municipalities are banning pit bulls, too many people get them and don't provide them with the proper care and training or worse, actually train the dogs to attack because they think it is cool. It is a very labor intensive breed and when you lock them up in a cage all day and ignore them they become aggressive. Fucking humans.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The little dog

Vastet wrote:
The little dog wasn't hurt at all, amazingly. Perhaps fight wasn't the best term, but one more suitable doesn't come to mind that adequately characterises the response to the article. Also, I haven't done shrooms in years. You might want to try some though, DB, you obviously aren't aware of their real effects.

I haven't done shrooms in years. I haven't forgotten how their effects affected me (the good, the bad and the ugly). I prefer to stay away from the drug-induced-alternate-realities and focus on getting my shit together here and now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
When I read stories like

When I read stories like this I really get pissed at people who claim morality is a religious invention. If morality were not evolution based that little dog would not have the instinct to care about the girl. Now while true that not all dogs would do this, the fact that this one did, SHOWS that our sense of right and wrong and good and bad are evolutionary.

Great story, and that little pooch deserves a medal, and glad the girl was saved of course.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
The little dog wasn't hurt at all, amazingly. Perhaps fight wasn't the best term, but one more suitable doesn't come to mind that adequately characterises the response to the article. Also, I haven't done shrooms in years. You might want to try some though, DB, you obviously aren't aware of their real effects.

I haven't done shrooms in years. I haven't forgotten how their effects affected me (the good, the bad and the ugly). I prefer to stay away from the drug-induced-alternate-realities and focus on getting my shit together here and now.

Well good luck. I've got my shit together, so I don't have to concern myself with such things. In fact, smoking weed is what brought my shit together. Guess everyone's different.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:When I read

Brian37 wrote:

When I read stories like this I really get pissed at people who claim morality is a religious invention. If morality were not evolution based that little dog would not have the instinct to care about the girl. Now while true that not all dogs would do this, the fact that this one did, SHOWS that our sense of right and wrong and good and bad are evolutionary.

no way.  it just shows that all creation serves the will of god.  god told this brave little servant to save this girl and he did.

i don't think this is going to checkmate the religious conception of morality any more than "lord, liar, lunatic" is going to trump modern research into the historicity of jesus.

besides, attributing "morality" to a dog is a bit of a logical leap.  we can just as easily say this chihuahua considered the girl a member of his pack and thus went to her rescue.  my family owned at least twenty dogs of all sizes and breeds over the course of my childhood, and i can tell you many small dogs have no idea they're small, especially when they want to pick a fight with a larger dog.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson