Man gets 4 months in jail for tearing a Koran.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Man gets 4 months in jail for tearing a Koran.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The full story isn't being

The full story isn't being told. I find the story fishy.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Also a 600 euro fine.And the

Also a 600 euro fine.

And the muslims he confronted were in a bar, where they no doubt were very busy not drinking alcohol.

This happened pretty close to where I live, so I'm feeling really stupid for making fun of my right-wing buddies and their "islamophobia". It would seem they have a point. 

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Can't find any reputable

Can't find any reputable news stories about this, or reliable sources - I'm calling fake

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

Can't find any reputable news stories about this, or reliable sources - I'm calling fake

Maybe not in english, but in the country where it happened, all the major newspapers reported it : 

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail.aspx?artikelid=DMF20130206_00459631

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/989/Binnenland/article/detail/1591472/2013/03/06/Man-krijgt-4-maanden-cel-voor-verscheuren-koran.dhtm...

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20130206_00460177

Not fake, unfortunately.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

Maybe not in english, but in the country where it happened, all the major newspapers reported it : 

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail.aspx?artikelid=DMF20130206_00459631

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/989/Binnenland/article/detail/1591472/2013/03/06/Man-krijgt-4-maanden-cel-voor-verscheuren-koran.dhtm...

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20130206_00460177

Not fake, unfortunately.

I can't find it anywhere else but some low end websites for locals. No major outlets.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:
I can't find it anywhere else but some low end websites for locals. No major outlets.

Guys, sometimes stuff happens without it being translated into english. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is one of the reasons

This is one of the reasons the EU is considering kicking Belgium out.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This is one of

Vastet wrote:
This is one of the reasons the EU is considering kicking Belgium out.

Um...that might be news to the EU chairman, who got re-elected last year, and who's also Belgian.

Look, as much as this idiotic sentence pisses me off, lets not forget that Belgium was the first European country to ban wearing of burkas in public places, so sharia is not exactly around the corner here.

Also, I looked into this, and the guy had priors. Seems he just got convicted of arson, and had an 18 month suspended sentence under his belt. 

Still, that doesn't change the fact that that judge is a fucking idiot. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If he'd be surprised then he

If he'd be surprised then he isn't paying attention. There were headlines all over North America not two weeks ago saying exactly that.

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If he'd be

Vastet wrote:
If he'd be surprised then he isn't paying attention. There were headlines all over North America not two weeks ago saying exactly that.

Source please? As it appears to have passed us Europeans by..

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
GodsUseForAMosquito

Since I have posted this I have gotten flack not just here. Now I am not going to pull Paul's "If through my falsehood" CRAP, Admittedly I simply picked this up because it was posted on google. I simply agreed with the theme of the title.

But the motif would still stand. It is not a good idea to silence dissent or silence someone who says mean things. The only valid law is not one based on politics or religion or emotions. Civil law simple says you can say what you want but you cant physically harm others or call for the harm of others. I will always frown upon calls for arrest because someone got offended.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Guys, sometimes stuff happens without it being translated into english. 

Really? How can that be possible? America is the center of the universe and everything important revolves around us and more specifically, Hollywood. If there isn't a movie about it, it obviously is not important. 

In all seriousness though, I think it is dangerous to have laws against racism. While such laws may have good intentions, they can easily become abusive. I hope those kinds of laws never make their way over here. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
For whatever reason, I read

For whatever reason, I read the title as "tearing a Korean"

But this is outrageous and a trampling of civil liberties.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

Vastet wrote:

Source please? As it appears to have passed us Europeans by..

I don't make a practice of saving links to every article I read. And unfortunately my web history only saves a hundred pages.

As I'm too lazy to look for approximately 2 week old news, I must therefore concede the possibility that the articles I read were in error.
But I'm not convinced they were.