UK/Canadian Boxer tracks down troll, scares apology out of him

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
UK/Canadian Boxer tracks down troll, scares apology out of him

I'll start by saying there was no actual face to face. Fortunately, the intentions of Curtis, whatever they were, did not result in violence.
But they may have. Let this be a lesson to bullies online.

Andy Johnson, CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2013 10:22AM EDT
Woodhouse had lost his English light-welterweight title in a match on Friday night against Shane Singleton, and was already in a foul mood when he logged into Twitter on Monday. When he found his account populated with abuse from Twitter user @Jimmyob88, he decided to finally strike back.
The former footballer posted a message offering the equivalent of a $1,500 "bounty" to anyone who could identify the man and reveal his home address.
Five minutes later he had the information he needed, and jumped in his car to track him down.
Woodhouse drove more than 100 kilometres to Sheffield, England to confront the man he said had sent him death threats, called him a failure and a disgrace and even poked fun at his father's death in recent months.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"At first I think he thought

"At first I think he thought I was joking and carried on sending me abusive messages," Woodhouse said. "But when I got to the top of his road I took a photograph of the road sign and all of a sudden he realized wow, he's actually here. He started backpedalling, saying he's sorry, pretty much crying over Twitter."
The man, who also goes by the name "The Master" on Twitter, tweeted that it was all just "a bit of harmless fun," then apologized after Woodhouse threatened to knock on every door on the street until he found the right house.
“I am sorry it's getting a bit out of hand. I am in the wrong. I accept that,” @jimmyob88 tweeted, though all recent posts appear to have now been removed from his feed.
After the man apologized, Woodhouse got back in his car and drove home. He said he wanted to make the point that anonymous Internet bullying can deeply affect its victims.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/enough-is-enough-u-k-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-turns-tables-on-twitter-troll-1.1193671

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Kind of funny since

Kind of funny since nothing happened, but I can see how this sort of thing could easily turn violent. Tracking down trolls in person is probably not a very smart idea because it could easily become violent and based on the discussion that is posted in the news story, I'm pretty sure the law would see Woodhouse as the aggressor. Someone saying you are an awful boxer and talking smack is hardly a reason to track them down and initiate a confrontation. It is a reminder that the internet is not as anonymous as many people seem to think. If someone really wants to figure out who you are it is possible for them to do so. It is only anonymous insofar as most people don't care who you are. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the death threats,

I think the death threats, if true, do lend some legitimacy to this guys decision, but I still fully agree with you. If anything had happened, Curtis would have taken the fall for it. He offered a bounty and drove a hundred miles. That's quite enough to establish 1st degree charges. Furthermore he's a trained fighter, and trained fighters are always held to a higher standard in court.
He should have involved the police. I can see why he didn't, the police do not fix these things overnight, but it at least would have given him something to work with that wasn't adding danger to the situation.
Furthermore, the troll could have killed him, and gotten away with it. A pissed off gold medal winning boxer appearing at my door would be pretty worrisome. I'd be armed.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disruptive b.s. and utterly cliché on the Trolls part .. ..

Beyond Saving wrote:

Kind of funny since nothing happened, but I can see how this sort of thing could easily turn violent.

Good point to bring out.

tsk-tsk   Rewards are often given but unto all them also that love,.

Trolls in most part are cliché. Their use of provocative language and sweeping generalisations about certain topics or in this boards case categories of people only highlight a lack of in-depth understanding of the topic, general lack of understanding they come with. And a generally (super) abusive manner that should not be tolerated under any circumstances (if when it is to make the Troll look bad). Community can make an effort to fight this with cool-headed basis for solidarity. Yeah, Hunting azzes down, maybe going a bit over board tsk-tsk

Shocked Forget your troubles and just get happy You better chase all your cares away Sing Hallelujah, come on, get happy Get ready for the Judgment Day. Sing Hallelujah, come on, chase all your cares away; Sing Hallelujah C'mon get happy. Get ready for the Judgment Day. Bop, Bop!!

p.s. -- I was highly uncomfortable with Furry's stunt with Anony (with full name and ect.). That has a potential for getting out of hand real quick, I'd think, for pity sake!! IMO, Can we find solutions that wont have to involve the police ???

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"p.s. -- I was highly

"p.s. -- I was highly uncomfortable with Furry's stunt with Anony (with full name and ect.). That has a potential for getting out of hand real quick, I'd think, for pity sake!!"

Yeah that was interesting. I half expected her to try me next. Probably wouldn't be possible, but there's a chance I slipped once or twice since I started using the net and that said slip still exists in an archive somewhere. Or even that it was aquired during the hacking of some company; Sony for example.
It didn't seem to bother Anon, and it really wouldn't me either. There's only so much someone could do with my actual name, and none of it is too severe. In fact, should I ever try using my voice as some have recommended (or if I ever finish my stories), it's inevitable that my name would come out anyway.
But it was still a bit off putting.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"p.s. -- I was

Vastet wrote:
"p.s. -- I was highly uncomfortable with Furry's stunt with Anony (with full name and ect.). That has a potential for getting out of hand real quick, I'd think, for pity sake!!" Yeah that was interesting. I half expected her to try me next. Probably wouldn't be possible, but there's a chance I slipped once or twice since I started using the net and that said slip still exists in an archive somewhere. Or even that it was aquired during the hacking of some company; Sony for example. It didn't seem to bother Anon, and it really wouldn't me either. There's only so much someone could do with my actual name, and none of it is too severe. In fact, should I ever try using my voice as some have recommended (or if I ever finish my stories), it's inevitable that my name would come out anyway. But it was still a bit off putting.

i must have missed this.  link?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was awhile ago. Before

It was awhile ago. Before November for sure. Maybe a year ago. Not sure how easy it'll be to find.
As I recall, Furry dug up an article/essay/something that A_Nony_Mouse had written and correctly attributed it to A_Nony_Mouse. I don't remember more than that. I'll take a look around. No guarantees though.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder's .. 'Time-TO-Ban . . '

Quote:
i must have missed this. link ?

Finally, I think it was number Nu 69 http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/30998?page=1

The Outed! Furry's got the mad-skills and right friends. Fear her; fear her !!
I always found Furry a joy a real and good kind of lovely experience. I miss Furry Sad

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: I miss

danatemporary wrote:
I miss Furry Sad

you're on your own there, as far as i'm concerned.  i found her (or him) a self-righteous, hypocritical, dillettantish, frigid bitch who knew next to nothing of her own adopted faith other than what you can learn from a little light reading under a rabbi's guidance, who loved to throw around phonetical hebrew transliterations (yonatan, avraham, and the like), and whose sole response to anyone who seemed to know more about the jewish tradition than she did was variations on, "judaism can be anything...except what you say, because you're not jewish.

that cunt can go fornicate her/himself. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Elementary My Dear Watson

I'm going to have to say I was never impressed with Furry's "detective" skills.  A_Nony_Mouse has links in his signature to his personal website, Giwer's World which has, in addition to its ugly as sin web design, tons of articles with his full name in the by-line.

He aint exactly hidin', ifn ya get wat I sayin'.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
She's basically the jewish

She's basically the jewish equivalent of A_Nony_Mouse in my view. Like O'Reilly and Moore are opposites who are nevertheless quite similar in approach.

I think it was this topic, which ran simultaneously with the link Dana provided:
http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/30993?page=1

I haven't read through it all yet though. As they ran simultaneously, there is some crossover between the two topics.

I'm pretty sure this was the first, and last, direct, extended conversation between the two. We'd all been waiting for it, wondering when it would happen. Then Brian struck the match.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are not in a minority from some of the comments I've seen:

iwbiek wrote:

danatemporary wrote:
I miss Furry Sad

you're on your own there, as far as i'm concerned.  i found her (or him) a self-righteous, hypocritical, dillettantish, frigid bitch who knew next to nothing of her own adopted faith other than what you can learn from a little light reading under a rabbi's guidance, who loved to throw around phonetical hebrew transliterations (yonatan, avraham, and the like), and whose sole response to anyone who seemed to know more about the jewish tradition than she was variations on, "judaism can be anything...except what you say, because you're not jewish.

that cunt can go fornicate her/himself. 

From what I've read, Furry had a nasty tendency to get up a lot of people's nose (but Furry didnt bother me). Ironically Furry may have tossed 'god' out the window by her last statement she made to the board, then dashed off. Where as a Twd39 I couldnt find a single positive thing to say about Pa/Twd39 not even a manic moment of Pollyanna¬ish, rose tinked Welding goggles type of excess (in mood).

=====================================================

Troll issue is beyond a mere unpleasantness.
It is beholden upon all others to give a rat's patootie, enough to 'out' people in other ways !! Not run the risk of tempers getting out of hand. People are very human and prone to error at times. Everyone has their individual ways of 'handling' things,.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius wrote:I'm going

Sinphanius wrote:

I'm going to have to say I was never impressed with Furry's "detective" skills.  A_Nony_Mouse has links in his signature to his personal website, Giwer's World which has, in addition to its ugly as sin web design, tons of articles with his full name in the by-line.

He aint exactly hidin', ifn ya get wat I sayin'.

I got that impression myself, though I never actually clicked the links in his sig.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thing I like most about

The thing I like most about Furry (I don't think she's gone, just taking a break) is that you have to think when debating her. You can't just mindlessly finish her off in a single response like most theists. I had to actually do some research to debate her a couple times. I haven't had to do that with a theist in a decade or more, with her as the sole exception.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, found it. It was lead

Ah, found it. It was lead into by a discussion on libel. In post #207 in the link I gave.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Now for another question -- is your real name Matt Giwer?

Shortly after that Furry started ignoring A_Nony_Mouse. It was not reciprocal. lol

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The thing I

Vastet wrote:
The thing I like most about Furry (I don't think she's gone, just taking a break) is that you have to think when debating her.

yeah, too bad "she" didn't reciprocate.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
True. I think she relies too

True. I think she relies too much on information she's absorbed. She comes off as someone who's concluded there's nothing left to learn.