Middle-aged married couple wanted for round trip to Mars orbit

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Middle-aged married couple wanted for round trip to Mars orbit

A U.S. business tycoon told the media yesterday that he hopes to send a middle-aged married couple on an adventure of a lifetime - specifically, the pair would be rocketed into space for a Mars fly-by mission.

Dennis Tito, chair of the non-profit organization Inspiration Mars Foundation, said he would like the 501-day mission to launch in 2018.  The chosen couple would loop around the red planet in a 17-cubic metre living space.

The foundation said that they prefer a married couple because passengers aboard the spacecraft will go through adversity and will need support. They have also said that it is important that the passengers be a man and a woman so that both boys and girls will see themselves reflected in the crew and be inspired.

The living space will provide very few creatures comforts. The couple will breathe recycled oxygen, drink water recycled from their sweat and urine, eat food rehydrated with that water and not shower.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sounds like absolute hell

Sounds like absolute hell to me. Anyone care to bet on whether they are still married by the time they get back? Pretty awesome if they manage to pull this trip off though.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm with you there. Many of

I'm with you there. Many of the comments compare it to a 500 day roadtrip lol.
I also think there's a greater than 70% chance of catastrophic failure between the mission launch and a year following the couples return. There are a huge number of dangers involved, exponentially increasing due to the sought age and potential lack of expertise in zipping through space, not to mention the electronics systems and 0g and emotional distress, just to name a few things.
It is a surefire way to get your name in the history books (twice, once for 1st people to leave the immediate Earth area, and once for being the 1st to enjoy space sex), but I'd pass on it. No weed and no games makes me very unhappy. The flying through space bit would be awesome for the first week to a month, but a year and a half is pushing it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.