Meteor explodes over Russia, 500+ injured

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meteor explodes over Russia, 500+ injured

By: Natalia Shurmina and Andrey Kuzmin Reuters, Published on Fri Feb 15 2013
CHELYABINSK, RUSSIA — More than 500 people were injured when a meteorite shot across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, sending fireballs crashing to Earth, shattering windows and damaging buildings.
People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt a shockwave according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 km east of Moscow.
Russia’s Emergencies Ministry said 514 people had sought medical help, mainly for light injuries caused by flying glass, and that 112 of those were kept in hospital. Search groups were set up to look for the remains of the meteorite.
“There have never been any cases of meteors breaking up at such a low level over Russia before,” said Yuri Burenko, head of the Chelyabinsk branch of the Emergencies Ministry.
Windows were shattered on Chelyabinsk’s central Lenin Street and some of the frames of shop fronts buckled.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad no one was killed. But

Glad no one was killed. But man when stuff like this happens religion really pisses me off. There is so much harsh reality in the world to claim "all this" happens for a magical reason, uggggg.

No one knows when but but we could very well get hit with one that will do to us what happened to the dinosaurs. It is not a matter of if, but when. I just hope it isn't in my lifetime.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, saw the video this

Yeah, saw the video this morning. Awesome shit. Glad no one was injured.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Yeah,

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Yeah, saw the video this morning. Awesome shit. Glad no one was injured.

People were injured, but not seriously and no one died.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
A good video from sciam.com

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Already

Already in some of the comments I am seeing people claiming that this was actuall some sort of military thing.

I am pretty sure the conspiracy nut that I know will latch on to it in no time.

But hey, at least it'll get him to shut the fuck up about Sandy Hook and 9/11.

Apparently, there is some new video out there that is supposedly by a bunch of "experts" explaining how the twin towers were imploded.

Sigh, it is a shame that the web can provide such fertile breeding ground for total fucktards.

But, the footage of the meteor in Russia was pretty far out.

It is a wonder that no one was killed.

One Russian station that I saw a clip on, showed the interiors of a certain building when it struck, it acted quite a lot like an earthquake.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Already in some of the comments I am seeing people claiming that this was actuall some sort of military thing.

I am pretty sure the conspiracy nut that I know will latch on to it in no time.

But hey, at least it'll get him to shut the fuck up about Sandy Hook and 9/11.

Apparently, there is some new video out there that is supposedly by a bunch of "experts" explaining how the twin towers were imploded.

Sigh, it is a shame that the web can provide such fertile breeding ground for total fucktards.

But, the footage of the meteor in Russia was pretty far out.

It is a wonder that no one was killed.

One Russian station that I saw a clip on, showed the interiors of a certain building when it struck, it acted quite a lot like an earthquake.

It was luck. Meteors as we know hit the planet all the time, most of the time they crack up or burn up. But there have been ones, besides the one that killed the dinosaurs that do cause local death.  A mile here or a mile there and it would have been different.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't take anything

It wouldn't take anything like a mile. 40 metres is sufficient to penetrate the atmosphere as this one did. Anything between that and 1km would cause extreme local hazards, increasing with size. 300 metres (0.3km) would flatten New York City and surrounding area.
A 1-2km rock, little less to little more than a mile, would cause global devastation, and likely an ice age. As a species, we'd survive (at least initially), but it wouldn't be fun.
The one that finished off the dinosaurs is estimated to have been 15km. It is unlikely we as a species could survive one that big.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It was luck.

Brian37 wrote:

It was luck. Meteors as we know hit the planet all the time, most of the time they crack up or burn up. But there have been ones, besides the one that killed the dinosaurs that do cause local death.  A mile here or a mile there and it would have been different.

Like this one that hit Siberia in 1908 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:That video is

Ktulu wrote:

That video is amazing. There were some others which were amazing also.

Any one notice the one video up close? There were two swirling trail clouds right before it hit. I think it broke up in to two larger pieces.

The morning of the news, GMA had Neil deGrasse Tyson speaking and I was like, "Asking about the two trails, ask him about the two trails!!!"

but no one seemed to notice it.

(edit)

I wonder if that was a cop car? Amazing that he was in the right location at the right time... must be a conspiracy.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure you've all heard

I'm sure you've all heard this before, but...

http://news.msn.com/world/meteorite-rush-is-on-as-pieces-may-be-40-times-price-of-gold?ocind=ansnews11

I watch Meteor Men and they have stated some special Meteors are worth more than platinum per oz.

It all depends on the age, composition and size.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
A good interview on CBS