SEAL Team 6

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
SEAL Team 6

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313

Phil Bronstein did a great interview with the man who shot bin Laden covering a variety of topics from the shooting itself, other missions, what it is like being in black ops and his decision to retire after 16 years in the military. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Phil Bronstein did a great interview with the man who shot bin Laden covering a variety of topics from the shooting itself, other missions, what it is like being in black ops and his decision to retire after 16 years in the military. 

Beyond, it is extremely rare that we ever agree on anything. But that man did what most of us could not muster and on top of that got the number 1 bad guy. Kudos to him and all of us owe him a great dept of gratitude.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Too bad armed forces are

Too bad armed forces are only cared for while they are armed forces.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

I must show this link to the conspiracy theory nut at work that thinks we never actually killed Bin Laden.

While it is quite pointless to debate with a nutcase, it is still fun to see that smug look get wiped right off of his face when he realizes that not everyone will placate his conspiracy bullshit.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Too bad armed

Vastet wrote:
Too bad armed forces are only cared for while they are armed forces.

He is not receiving a pension or health care because he resigned before being eligible for retirement.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pension, fine. Healthcare,

Pension, fine. Healthcare, not fine. They got him hurt, they should pay for it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It is a shame that

It is a shame that politicians can get fully vested in their pensions after a mere five years while a soldier who risks their life on a regular basis for 16 years doesn't simply because for whatever reason they decide they can't take another four years of being shot at. I think we should pay them more, although the market really doesn't call for it, I consider it an appropriate place to waste a little money. The guys who go into these types of jobs don't do it for the money, but I have no problem giving them an extra kickback out of sheer generosity. I also think it is ridiculous that the $25 million bounty is not distributed among the people involved in the mission. I think the intelligence people directly involved and the whole SEAL team that went on the mission should all get a portion of it, after all they did kill the SOB. 

The Shooter will qualify for VA health benefits but the problem is that those VA benefits take a long time to get approved and VA hospitals typically provide substandard care. Great places to go if you want to commit suicide, not such great care if you plan on living. Never fear though, it isn't long before all Americans can enjoy the delayed, substandard and low quality care provided by the VA, brought to you courtesy of Bamacare- so while veterans will still get the shitty care they get now, everyone else will be getting equally shitty care so no one will know there is anything better, except for those of us who say fuck the insurance and go to doctors that accept cash only.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: It is

Beyond Saving wrote:

It is a shame that politicians can get fully vested in their pensions after a mere five years while a soldier who risks their life on a regular basis for 16 years doesn't simply because for whatever reason they decide they can't take another four years of being shot at. I think we should pay them more, although the market really doesn't call for it, I consider it an appropriate place to waste a little money. The guys who go into these types of jobs don't do it for the money, but I have no problem giving them an extra kickback out of sheer generosity. I also think it is ridiculous that the $25 million bounty is not distributed among the people involved in the mission. I think the intelligence people directly involved and the whole SEAL team that went on the mission should all get a portion of it, after all they did kill the SOB. 

The Shooter will qualify for VA health benefits but the problem is that those VA benefits take a long time to get approved and VA hospitals typically provide substandard care. Great places to go if you want to commit suicide, not such great care if you plan on living. Never fear though, it isn't long before all Americans can enjoy the delayed, substandard and low quality care provided by the VA, brought to you courtesy of Bamacare- so while veterans will still get the shitty care they get now, everyone else will be getting equally shitty care so no one will know there is anything better, except for those of us who say fuck the insurance and go to doctors that accept cash only.  

You can be so one sided about everything, dead right on some things and absolutely insane on others. I happen to agree we should pay our soldiers more, but so should workers here. What is the point of our soldiers risking their lives so that the private weapons manufactures get rich building 20th century Jets and a waste of surplus of tanks we dont use. You bitch about waste and the pentagon has been saying for years that they are STILL buying antiquated crap and too much crap they dont need. You want to pay the soilders more, then get your head out of your ass. Stop siding with the private sector blindly as if it cant exploit or bilk tax payers.

What is the point of our soldiers, well, if we go by your economic Ayn Rand "let them eat cake" crap, if you are all about saving a buck, then to pay our soilders more would require revenue MEANING TAXES. Oh fuck, TAXES.

And what is the point of our soldiers risking their lives if our country is merely there to protect the rich and the weapons industry? What is the point in protecting a country if all it is going to do is become a third world country where the middle and bottom continue to fall while the top explodes in profits?

You want the soldiers to get paid more, then how about getting rid of tax breaks for GE and EXXON? You want the soldiers to get paid more, maybe we could if wages would allow the average worker to earn more so that they could contribute more to revenue to pay those soldiers more. Maybe a little less corporate welfare? Maybe if we had less of a pay gap, more economic stability, there would be less of a need for government help and the money saved in that COULD go to paying soldiers more?

Your Ayn Rand crap does not work. It is utopia garbage on par with religion. I want to pay the soldiers more too, but that cannot happen and will not happen if all we do is protect the rich and dump all the cost on the rest of society.

There is robbery going on and it is coming from the top. We could pay the soldiers more if there less corporate robbery and more corporate responsibility, not just with soldiers, but society as a whole.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And another thing Beyond, I

And another thing Beyond, I find it really disgusting that you claim to support our military which has an oath to protect our Constitution, which protects the freedom to vote the way the individual chooses, but then complain like a baby when you don't win and call it robbery. Either they are fighting for the rights of everyone, or they are simply fighting for one class. You are not going to cherry pick who they should fight for. There was a reason they chose the words "WE" and did not use the words "ME" or "class".

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:The

Beyond Saving wrote:

I get cheap meds through the VA, although I quit going because I get better care through my work insurance.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Frankly I have no idea what

Frankly I have no idea what politicians do to earn so much. The first people who should take pay cuts are politicians. I'll never vote for someone who votes themselves a raise while leaving minimum wages at ridiculously low numbers. They should all have their pay cut in half or more and have their expense accounts monitored by independent civilian overseers.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
All vets deserve more, not

All vets deserve more, not just the Seal Team 6 or the one who shot Bin Laden. All vets deserve the best.

It makes me sick to think that the elected officials put their lives before and above the vets, as well, the common man. It seems to be a trend among the politicians in all countries, in all eras.

There should be term limits for congress and the senate. No more than six years total. No more than 50,000 a year. No more than 15% of their salary towards a pension.

Get rid of the lobbyists. Get rid of the ties to wall street and the banks. Give them Psych tests. See who they really are before they are allowed to hold office.

Lousy douche bag politicians.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Frankly I have

Vastet wrote:
Frankly I have no idea what politicians do to earn so much. The first people who should take pay cuts are politicians. I'll never vote for someone who votes themselves a raise while leaving minimum wages at ridiculously low numbers. They should all have their pay cut in half or more and have their expense accounts monitored by independent civilian overseers.

COMMIE! Oh wait, forgot I agree with this......never mind nothing to see here.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You can be so

Brian37 wrote:

You can be so one sided about everything, dead right on some things and absolutely insane on others. I happen to agree we should pay our soldiers more, but so should workers here. What is the point of our soldiers risking their lives so that the private weapons manufactures get rich building 20th century Jets and a waste of surplus of tanks we dont use. You bitch about waste and the pentagon has been saying for years that they are STILL buying antiquated crap and too much crap they dont need. You want to pay the soilders more, then get your head out of your ass. Stop siding with the private sector blindly as if it cant exploit or bilk tax payers.

Where have I ever supported our defense budget? The military is a great example how the government is ridiculously wasteful even when buying things that are somewhat important. I have been a strong supporter of cutting the defense budget for decades. 

Brian37 wrote:

What is the point of our soldiers, well, if we go by your economic Ayn Rand "let them eat cake" crap, if you are all about saving a buck, then to pay our soilders more would require revenue MEANING TAXES. Oh fuck, TAXES.

No, it means controlling the ridiculous waste in our military and using that money for what is important. We have more than enough revenue to have one of the largest and best funded militaries in the world without getting more.

Brian37 wrote:

And what is the point of our soldiers risking their lives if our country is merely there to protect the rich and the weapons industry? What is the point in protecting a country if all it is going to do is become a third world country where the middle and bottom continue to fall while the top explodes in profits?

And you call me crazy. How can you live with all that hysteria? Must be stressful as hell. 

Brian37 wrote:

You want the soldiers to get paid more, then how about getting rid of tax breaks for GE and EXXON?

I fully support either a flat consumption tax or a flat income tax, a good portion of my posts on this site have been criticizing our current fucked up tax code. Why do you keep voting for politicians that use special tax laws to reward and/or punish companies?

Brian37 wrote:

You want the soldiers to get paid more, maybe we could if wages would allow the average worker to earn more so that they could contribute more to revenue to pay those soldiers more.

I have told you several times that you should go make more money. It isn't my fault if you don't listen to me and I am not going to force you to get a better job. 

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe a little less corporate welfare?

I don't support corporate welfare. It is one of the main reasons I voted against Bama. Why do you keep voting for politicians that encourage corporate welfare? (And then accuse me of being the one supporting it?)

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe if we had less of a pay gap, more economic stability, there would be less of a need for government help and the money saved in that COULD go to paying soldiers more?

I lower the pay gap every day. I pay people who provide services for me and I pay my employees thus reducing my disposable income and increasing theirs. What have you done today to reduce the pay gap?