Massive manhunt for ex-cop suspected in LA shooting rampage

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Massive manhunt for ex-cop suspected in LA shooting rampage

LOS ANGELES -- A fired police officer who threatened to bring "warfare" to the Los Angeles Police Department went on a shooting rampage that left a policeman and two others dead and set off an extraordinary manhunt that had three states and Mexico on alert.
The search Thursday for Christopher Dorner led hair-trigger officers to mistakenly shoot at innocent citizens and forced police to guard their own.
But the focus of police efforts shifted Thursday afternoon to the snowy mountains around Big Bear Lake, about 130 kilometres east of Los Angeles, where police found Dorner's burned-out pickup truck and tracks leading away from the vehicle.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/massive-manhunt-continues-for-ex-cop-suspected-in-l-a-shooting-rampage-1.1148224

This sounds like a movie plot. Anyone taking bets on when it becomes one?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
So glad we have more guns on

So glad we have more guns on the street, especially in the hands of nuts, the NRA should be extremely proud. Oh yea and damned right I am going to exploit this story. This and every other gun death.

Guns are not candy but are treated like candy, and this is what happens when you simply say "fuck it". 3 people in this case, and if he shoots and kills someone else, just think about how wonderful guns are.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh, guns aren't an argument

Meh, guns aren't an argument here. The guy is ex police AND ex military. If he didn't have a firearm then neither of those organisations are doing it right.
I'm more interested in his claims and purported mission, as well as how the cops have been reacting.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Remember, don't blame the

Remember, don't blame the guns.

Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Remember, don't blame the guns.

Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Right, ok they can use that bullshit excuse. Still doesn't change the fact that the weapons manufactures make money by handing out these deadly weapons like candy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Meh, guns

Vastet wrote:
Meh, guns aren't an argument here. The guy is ex police AND ex military. If he didn't have a firearm then neither of those organisations are doing it right. I'm more interested in his claims and purported mission, as well as how the cops have been reacting.

Yes it is. It is 3 more gun deaths. Unless you want to claim this guy did not us a gun to murder 3 people. This is merely one example in an epidemic. Him being a former cop does not change the fact he used a gun to murder people.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You get a trained officer

You get a trained officer pissed enough to kill his former coworkers and yes, the gun is completely irrelevant. Actually it's better that he's got a gun. Less likely to plant bombs everywhere, which would be far worse for all concerned.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You get a

Vastet wrote:
You get a trained officer pissed enough to kill his former coworkers and yes, the gun is completely irrelevant. Actually it's better that he's got a gun. Less likely to plant bombs everywhere, which would be far worse for all concerned.

No it is not, again this is the same argument used. It is still confusing to separate issues. It is true that any object can be used to kill someone.

That still does not change the AMOUNT OF GUN DEATH. Other things killing people does not mean we should do nothing. He used a gun, PERIOD. Gun death is an epidemic PERIOD.

Drunk driving kills people too and no one should argue we shouldn't reduce that too.

The fact still remains that guns are too easy to get, they are handed out like candy.

I don't care that this guy was a cop. And of course a mere object cant move itself DUH. But that is just an excuse to do nothing.

The military guy last week shot at the gun range trying to help the PTSD guy, same damned thing. It still amounts to too much free reign. Criminal or not, gang murder or not, mental illness or not, domestic murder or not. We have an epidemic and any type of gun death is bad and the excuses used are unacceptable.

The reason these excuses keep getting used is because a big business doesn't want to undermine it's market base.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, it is. This is a well

Yes, it is. This is a well trained individual with accurate weaponry hunting specific targets, and the vast majority of the population are not only not said targets, but have been specifically declared as non-combatants. If he was using less accurate weaponry, the casualty count would rise significantly, and would almost certainly include more civilians. This is not some psycho kid doing a random shooting in a mall or school with a gun he got who knows where. It's a man trained by the military and the police on a misguided attempted path of redemption. He's at least as dangerous without a gun as with one.
Guns are never going to go away completely, nor should they. What should happen is access to them being restricted, and them being limited to low firing rates and clip sizes. Attempting to ban them outright is wrong, and will never work.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 As an ex police officer

As an ex police officer this guy would be completely exempt from all gun control legislation currently proposed, read the law. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Still doesn't

Brian37 wrote:

Still doesn't change the fact that the weapons manufactures make money by handing out these deadly weapons like candy.

The fact still remains that guns are too easy to get, they are handed out like candy.

Brian, do you know of ANY place where you can buy guns as easily as you can buy candy?

Brian37 wrote:

Gun death is an epidemic PERIOD.

I know gun-related death is a lot higher in the US than in other industrialized democracies, but to call it an 'epidemic' seems a bit...misleading. In what way is gun death an epidemic?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: As an

Beyond Saving wrote:

As an ex police officer this guy would be completely exempt from all gun control legislation currently proposed, read the law. 

Judging by what I have read thus far (I have not read all of it) your right. He wouldn't be exempt.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank god we've all got

wow, "PERIOD" in all caps.  it must be true.  thank god we've all got brian to set our shit straight on everything.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
this already basically is a

this already basically is a movie: manhunt with tommy lee jones and benicio del toro.  damn good movie that was all but unnoticed.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:this already

iwbiek wrote:

this already basically is a movie: manhunt with tommy lee jones and benicio del toro.  damn good movie that was all but unnoticed.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was trippy. Woody in it?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:this already

iwbiek wrote:

I remember that one. It was pretty good actually.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915 wrote:Brian37

blacklight915 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Still doesn't change the fact that the weapons manufactures make money by handing out these deadly weapons like candy.

Brian, do you know of ANY place where you can buy guns as easily as you can buy candy?

Brian37 wrote:

Gun death is an epidemic PERIOD.

I know gun-related death is a lot higher in the US than in other industrialized democracies, but to call it an 'epidemic' seems a bit...misleading. In what way is gun death an epidemic?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-12-18/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015

Nearly 38,000 is not an epidemic? Ok, If a beef manufacturer had lousy sanitation and killed that many people because of unsanitary beef, that amount of death would be acceptable?

If that is not an epidemic, then I am at a loss.

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Nearly 38,000

Brian37 wrote:

Nearly 38,000 is not an epidemic?

That was in 1993. You didn't say gun violence WAS an epidemic; you said it IS an epidemic.

If you're actually at loss, I can help. From 2010 to 2011, about: 600,000 Americans died from heart disease, 575,000 Americans died from cancer, 35,000 died from motor vehicle accidents, and 31,000 died from guns. A total of about 2,500,000 Americans died that year...  Here's the link: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf 

Compared to other industrialized democracies, gun deaths in America might be an 'epidemic'. But, compared to other causes of death in America? No, unfortunately not... 

Brian37 wrote:

that amount of death would be acceptable?

Where have I said anything about what amount of death I find 'acceptable'?

You also didn't answer my first question...

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-12-18/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015

Nearly 38,000 is not an epidemic? Ok, If a beef manufacturer had lousy sanitation and killed that many people because of unsanitary beef, that amount of death would be acceptable?

So why do you support this epidemic you cold heartless bastard? 

For the record, I fully support making suicide as easy as possible. I think people have the right to commit suicide and if they think using a gun will make their death less painful than other options, good for them. If we simply legalized suicide and allowed people to go to the doctor and inject themselves, I imagine a much larger number would choose that route over using guns. 

A little over 19,000 of those deaths were suicide IOW people who decided they wanted to die. I am willing to bet that very few, if any of those traffic accidents were suicides- they were people who presumably didn't want to die. If you think suicide is a huge problem, it seems to me the efforts should be more aimed at finding cures for the depression and psychological issues that lead to suicide rather than worrying about how they decide to kill themselves.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:For the

Beyond Saving wrote:

For the record, I fully support making suicide as easy as possible. I think people have the right to commit suicide and if they think using a gun will make their death less painful than other options, good for them. If we simply legalized suicide and allowed people to go to the doctor and inject themselves, I imagine a much larger number would choose that route over using guns. 

A little over 19,000 of those deaths were suicide IOW people who decided they wanted to die. I am willing to bet that very few, if any of those traffic accidents were suicides- they were people who presumably didn't want to die. If you think suicide is a huge problem, it seems to me the efforts should be more aimed at finding cures for the depression and psychological issues that lead to suicide rather than worrying about how they decide to kill themselves.

I know you fully support the legal right to suicide, but...that doesn't mean you want people to kill themselves, does it?

While I don't think suicide itself is problem, I definitely view whatever is putting them in that much pain as a problem...

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915 wrote:I know

blacklight915 wrote:

I know you fully support the legal right to suicide, but...that doesn't mean you want people to kill themselves, does it?

While I don't think suicide itself is problem, I definitely view whatever is putting them in that much pain as a problem...

No, I don't want them to kill themselves and have been in the position of dealing with a close friend who was bipolar and often suicidal. However, I don't think the government should use force to prevent it, nor do I think it is a legitimate reason to ban anything. I think at some point in the future we will understand the human brain enough to provide effective treatment for many people who are suicidal, right now I don't think we do, so I think it is more humane to provide those who are committed to suicide less painful options.

Some people suffering from depression are willing to fight it and hope that some day in the future they will find a way to deal with their symptoms- others might decide they don't want to fight it. I fail to see how that decision is any different from a person deciding whether or not they want to fight a cancer  and I think in either case we should respect a person's decision whether or not to end their own life. Sure, if my mom had decided not to fight her cancer a couple years ago I might have used my personal relationship with her to try and change her mind, but I can understand why many people might decide a quick death is preferable to that battle. It would be great if only bad people died, but in the real world everyone is going to die and nothing is more personal than deciding to end your own life.  

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:No, I

Beyond Saving wrote:

No, I don't want them to kill themselves and have been in the position of dealing with a close friend who was bipolar and often suicidal. However, I don't think the government should use force to prevent it, nor do I think it is a legitimate reason to ban anything. I think at some point in the future we will understand the human brain enough to provide effective treatment for many people who are suicidal, right now I don't think we do, so I think it is more humane to provide those who are committed to suicide less painful options.

Some people suffering from depression are willing to fight it and hope that some day in the future they will find a way to deal with their symptoms- others might decide they don't want to fight it. I fail to see how that decision is any different from a person deciding whether or not they want to fight a cancer  and I think in either case we should respect a person's decision whether or not to end their own life. Sure, if my mom had decided not to fight her cancer a couple years ago I might have used my personal relationship with her to try and change her mind, but I can understand why many people might decide a quick death is preferable to that battle. It would be great if only bad people died, but in the real world everyone is going to die and nothing is more personal than deciding to end your own life.

Oh, okay--I understand now. I also happen to agree with all you said in the above comment. Sorry if I overreacted earlier; the whole suicide/depression issue is just...rather personal for me.