Doctor Who - Very Atheist.

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
Doctor Who - Very Atheist.

I am kicking off an official Doctor Who fan thread here. Who else loves it? Ever since it was brought back, I have been a huge fan, particularly of David Tennant's intelligent, life affirming, heroic portrayal of The Doctor. Christopher Eccleston was good too.  

It also constantly states or implies religion to be myths.

Favorite Companion: Rose Tyler. Billie Piper is SO GOOD.

Now, we all know that Russell T. Davies etc likes to stick in some one liner now and then in the show approving Karl Marx, but that is not what this thread is about. So please do not comment on that, or any related issues, that are minor ones in the overall context of the show, which is Hero worshipping, life affirming, pro action, and life positive.

So - who's a fan? smile.png Alons-y! Molto Bene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0sEMkl5dk8M

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been watching Dr Who

I've been watching Dr Who since the mid-70's when Tom Baker was the Dr., but the show lost me during the 80's.

My favorite is Matt Smith because he is so vulnerable, but David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston are also likable.

The last season that was really good was The Astronaut episodes but the following season they sort of lost me the following season. A few episodes which I reject because the episodes were thrown together at the last minute.

The villains called "The Weeping Angels" are the worst created villain of all time. I find it completely ridiculous that they are even considered to be "dangerous" and I've thought up all types of devices which would destroy them. Of course you see how fans over the years have submitted the same "flaws" and the writers have attempted to write theirselves out of the corner, but the damage has been done.

The episode called "The Angels take Manhattan" is the worst written show of any show, of all time, but then again I'm being biased. I'm sorry, but the Statue of Liberty/giant/Angel is a good example of the stupidity level of the writers.

I believe that time travel is too convoluted and writers over the decades have not stood up to the task of handling the problems associated with it (time travel). I find too many flaws in the writing because of this subject and it can ruin the episode or season for me.

Oh, one more thing... Karen Gillan... hmmm yum.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched it all the time

I watched it all the time growing up, but haven't seen the new show as yet. I liked it, but it wasn't my favourite. And I didn't like it enough to interfere with my gaming. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even I watched Tom Baker on our local PBS station (re-runned):

I watched most of the matt-smith/david-tennant episodes but I didnt enjoy a one. I did it more out of a sense of obligation. I have no reasons anyone to be interested in this. I only hung on  due to me watching much older Doctors. You see, Thanks to Public Broadcasting management, in the states, the local management is able to do whatever it pleases. Where I used to live, not that long ago, they re-ran everything from roughly 1975-1985. As a result Tom Baker will forever be 'the doctor' to me. I was going to comment earlier but I started reading fan magazines and interviews from Tom Baker and was shock(-ed) especially at some of the content. Some of it was highly disturbing and messed with my head alittle bit. I noticed in all three of the various interviews and supplemental articles, when re-interviwed, used few words and almost the same words about the issue of his short marriage (of approx 16 months) to his (Baker's) co-start aka Leeha. As it came up he always said she left him and he never saw her again. 2011-2012 needed an update, and a serious one at that:

Merry BeLated Christmas  Follow the link:  http://scifibulletin.com/doctor-who/interviews/interview-louise-jameson/

Darrell Cody
User is offlineOffline
I grew up on Tom Baker too,

I grew up on Tom Baker too, and was devoted to him too.  But David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston, like Tom Baker, had tons of vitality and sense of humor and *heroism*, like Tom Baker's Doctor, and so I thought they were great too.  David Tennant is now my favorite over Tom Baker, who is my second all time favorite.

Matt Smith's Doctor I don't like.  Too immature, too juvenile.  After Tom Baker and Eccleston and Tennant, his rendition is total anticlimax, don't you think?  And Karen Gillam too.  Way way too juvenile after, Sarah Jane Smith and Rose Tyler.  After all, the Doctor gets older and more mature, even if he does regenerate.  Why would he become a bow tie wearing sophomoric Doctor hanging out with an immature person like Karen Gillam's character?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The point of the switching

The point of the switching around of the characters is to bring in new crowds of viewers. You can compare this to Star Trek, can you imagine Kirk always being William Shatner? No one wants to see him as Capt. of the Enterprise these days. They want to see fresh new faces.

As I stated previously, Tom Baker was my first Dr Who and will always be the one I compare others to. But my problem isn't with the characters, it's really with the writing. The "sci-fi content" rather than types of characters is messed up. Time travel is never a clean subject.

I see too many continuity flaws in the writing. Last year just might be my last season in watching.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:  I

danatemporary wrote:

I watched most of the matt-smith/david-tennant episodes but I didnt enjoy a one. I did it more out of a sense of obligation. I have no reasons anyone to be interested in this. I only hung on  due to me watching much older Doctors. You see, Thanks to Public Broadcasting management, in the states, the local management is able to do whatever it pleases. Where I used to live, not that long ago, they re-ran everything from roughly 1975-1985. As a result Tom Baker will forever be 'the doctor' to me. I was going to comment earlier but I started reading fan magazines and interviews from Tom Baker and was shock(-ed) especially at some of the content. Some of it was highly disturbing and messed with my head alittle bit. I noticed in all three of the various interviews and supplemental articles, when re-interviwed, used few words and almost the same words about the issue of his short marriage (of approx 16 months) to his (Baker's) co-start aka Leeha. As it came up he always said she left him and he never saw her again. 2011-2012 needed an update, and a serious one at that:

Merry BeLated Christmas  Follow the link:  http://scifibulletin.com/doctor-who/interviews/interview-louise-jameson/

If you found that disturbing, then you might want to skip his autobiography. (Oh boy, the things he used to get up to with that scarf )