A Christian Explaining to Christians Science v Theolgy

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Christian Explaining to Christians Science v Theolgy

This Christian is talking to Christians about the distortions they add to scientific discovery. Of course he feels atheists are doing the same thing but interestingly enough say atheists are doing a whole lot less. But it would be good for a lot of Christians who are so compelled to change the scientific method to see what they are truly doing, how they are not only screwing up science but also making their religion look idiotic. You might want to jump thru the screen some time and stop watching but I recommend sticking through all three. The last one is particularly good I thought but each builds on one another. There are 15 videos (10 mins each). Go to you tube if you want to see the others. These might be useful videos when an Christian immediately wants to reject what we are saying because atheists don't know shit. We can say check this guy out. He is one of you.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Without watching the video

Without watching the video yet, I can say he's right. There are a lot of self identifying atheists who have oddball ideas about science. Mostly young people who've yet to learn how to think let alone examine their real reasons for being an atheist, but some older and set-in-their-ways types too.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
I most enjoyed the 2nd Video the most . .

I enjoyed the second YouTube video the most. Valid points about doing actual science . .

Professor
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Science and Christianity

Without watching the videos (because my little computer has poor video capability), I remind you that Jesus pointed out that sinful (and we are all sinful) human beings tend to "strain at gnats and swollow camels" or to "try to pull out the spec in your brother's eye when there is a log in your own eye." (Both quotes are from Matthew's Gospel.)

The Protestant Reformation purified Christianity and established science. Atheism is a sinful ego trip, but under pressure it usually becomes pantheism, and pantheists were able to do little science, since they felt the universe was subject to the whims of spirits or of the gods. The Protestant Reformation declared that God has spoken in the Bible and Jesus, God in flesh, has come, but no more revelation is due from God until Jesus comes again. Hence we have a stable universe in which people can do science. Mendel, who pioneered genetics, was a monk. Even Darwin stood on the shoulders of the Protestant Reformers. To attempt to destroy the faith of the Reformers, therefore, is a foolish thing. Science is nice, but we need God to save us even more than we need science.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hogwash. Not only did

Hogwash. Not only did christians not start science, they've been responsible for holding it back more than any other organisation or state.
Theism is an arrogant, selfish ego trip which under pressure has caused the greatest horrors in history.
Atheism never hurt anyone. Everyone is born an atheist. Then people lie to them, and it all goes to hell.
Your god isn't going to save anyone. We're on our own. We get to choose whether to give up or fight to change things.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand what he is

I understand what he is saying, which is a solid argument, if you believe in god(s).

The problem is, which god? and also, prove that said god exists.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Professor

Professor wrote:

The Protestant Reformation purified Christianity and established science. Atheism is a sinful ego trip, but under pressure it usually becomes pantheism, and pantheists were able to do little science, since they felt the universe was subject to the whims of spirits or of the gods. The Protestant Reformation declared that God has spoken in the Bible and Jesus, God in flesh, has come, but no more revelation is due from God until Jesus comes again. Hence we have a stable universe in which people can do science. Mendel, who pioneered genetics, was a monk. Even Darwin stood on the shoulders of the Protestant Reformers. To attempt to destroy the faith of the Reformers, therefore, is a foolish thing. Science is nice, but we need God to save us even more than we need science.

The Protestant Reformation "purified" Christianity ?

How did it "purify" it ?

When you think about how many hundreds of people were executed, slaughtered and burned at the stake before that, it doesn't seem very pure by my subjective standards.

Although medieval thinking did liken burning people at the stake as "purifying" them by fire. Perhaps that is what you are talking about ?

AND let's not forget that a major step for Protestants in England, is when King Henry VIII broke away from the Catholic Church. He wanted to divorce Queen Katherine and marry Anne Boleyn. He even used the Bible to back up "The King's Great Matter" and a few heads got lopped off in the process. There was a lot of purity in that.

The Renaissance did not "invent" science. It was just a time when learned men really began to think for themselves and look for answers elsewhere. But, the church and the Protestant church remained, like they always have, in the Age of Ignorance.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
OT and it's go time . . . .

Re:: OT and it's go time . . 

Professor wrote:

Without watching the videos (because my little computer has poor video capability), I remind you that Jesus pointed out that sinful (and we are all sinful) human beings tend to "strain at gnats and swollow camels" or to "try to pull out the spec in your brother's eye when there is a log in your own eye." (Both quotes are from Matthew's Gospel.)

The Protestant Reformation purified Christianity and established science. Atheism is a sinful ego trip, but under pressure it usually becomes pantheism, and pantheists were able to do little science, since they felt the universe was subject to the whims of spirits or of the gods. The Protestant Reformation declared that God has spoken in the Bible and Jesus, God in flesh, has come, but no more revelation is due from God until Jesus comes again. Hence we have a stable universe in which people can do science.

Professor,  You might not recognize it yourself but even you must recognize your odd behaviour as conforming only to one thing, honest and actual traits of a troll (and the most irritating I have run across).  Yeah, Most of my not nicer comments I d like to direct towards you personally are about broom-handles and up azzes so prudence suggest I stop and button it! 

Read the following :

Theologians  Need to Hear from Christian Geologists About Noah's Deluge  . .    . .

Ken Wolgemuth, PhD, Gregory S. Bennett, Gregg Davidson, PhD November 18, 2009
real evidence in college or later in life, and reject Christ in the mistaken notion that they must choose between sound science and Christian faith. It is this tragedy we wish to avert. A few brief examples are worth describing.A friend (who wishes to remain anonymous) attended conservative churches his entire life churches that openly push and teach a young-earth position. He has been a teacher and a leader in his local church. He is a strongly logical, thinking person who wants to know God’s 'truth'. He told us recently that he is thinking about giving up on Christianity and becoming anagnostic. Why? As he became more knowledgeable about the scientific evidence regarding the age of the earth, he found increasingly that facts presented by young-earth organizations had been misrepresented. He no longer knows who to believe or who to rely on. He feels that he has believed lies his whole life.Glenn R. Morton tells his story in an article in  Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith

Morton was a young-earth creationist until he became a geophysicist for a major oil company. As he worked directly with geologic data, he found absolutely no scientific support for a young earth in the rock record. He was successfully finding oil and gas using classical geological evidence that flew in the face of what he had learned in his church upbringing. In his testimony he said, “Being through with creationism, I was almost through with Christianity. I was thoroughly indoctrinated to believe that if the earth was not young and the flood not global, then the Bible was false. I was on the very verge of becoming an atheist.”

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
OT and it's go time Part B

re:: OT and it's go time Part B

Sm. Addendum a quote  from final third video :

Quote:
..to challenge a traditional interpretation of scripture with extra biblical evidence seems like an assault to Biblical authority;  if we can dismiss something so clearly stated in the Bible at whim of scientific discovery,  then what does that say of our epistemology?   Are we committed to the Scriptures as foundational truth or do we filter God's word through extra biblical knowledge  obtained by scientific Discovery  by our fallen senses ? Do we not use these arguments today ?..