atheist
User is offlineOffline

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Swell--maybe

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

They bought Al Gore's "Current TV"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57561745/al-jazeera-acquires-al-gores-current-tv/

this country will start getting some real news instead of news entertainment. Just the facts please-just the facts.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Time Warner are a bunch of

Time Warner are a bunch of pussy bigots and wont carry that network because of Al Jazeera's ownership.

It is idiocy. That would be like me boycotting the internet because religious people have websites on it.

Time is a media company and in a country that is supposed to value freedom of speech, this is pure stupidity. I've actual had a couple of occasions watching that Al Jazeera and it is not "Kill the Americans" network Fucks News paints their programming out to be. Like most journalistic networkds it covers the stories that affect the population. Isn't that what we want around the world, more transparency, more open media?

I would have to drop my cable because it carries Fucks News. I am sure that network covers their nuts just like Fucks News had Glen Beck. But I do not think it is the tool of Muslim terrorists the right wing nuts want to make it out to be.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe good NEWS!

Current might pick up a  few more viewers, The Young Turks is on Current; how is Al Jazeera going to deal with THAT agnostic ex-muslim [Cenk Uger]  plus Al Jazeera has a reputation of unbias News and open content.  It will be interesting to see how this works out.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
If your saying

Jeffrick wrote:

Current might pick up a  few more viewers, The Young Turks is on Current; how is Al Jazeera going to deal with THAT agnostic ex-muslim [Cenk Uger]  plus Al Jazeera has a reputation of unbias News and open content.  It will be interesting to see how this works out.

That Al Jazeera might have the balls to tell the truth and actually deal with real news---and then fail because floks don't really want realty---I agree. Of all the countries on this planet it seems the US has a greatest reality problem. Immensely popular reality TV that has no kinship to reality, Baaaah, can't watch it or abide it. For me it's PBS news and programing only at this time. I can't go regular TV. It makes me get the urge to go out and throw myself into a snow bank.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
1 - Al Jazeera isn't just a

1 - Al Jazeera isn't just a news organization. It's political and no different than FOX

2 - Al Jazeera is already on the web. It doesn't matter if they now own Current.

3 - Gore makes me sick. He used is political power to build up Current and now sells for profit. Sure, it's legal, but he is still a creepy dude. Still not sure, but I am borderline on if he would have made a better President than Bush <shudders>.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good for them. Everything

Good for them. Everything I've seen from A-J shows they'll be the closest thing to a real news service in the US.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:1 - Al

digitalbeachbum wrote:

1 - Al Jazeera isn't just a news organization. It's political and no different than FOX

2 - Al Jazeera is already on the web. It doesn't matter if they now own Current.

3 - Gore makes me sick. He used is political power to build up Current and now sells for profit. Sure, it's legal, but he is still a creepy dude. Still not sure, but I am borderline on if he would have made a better President than Bush <shudders>.

I don't get it, Cheney gets his Haleburton friends rich off of Iraq, but that is not slimy?

If you want to argue that there is too much conflict of interest in politics, that would be a good case. But Al Jazeera like any other private media entity would not be big, if it didn't make money for someone somewhere.

My personal take on Al Jazeera is that like any other business, it caters, but between it and Fox, the smear campaign against it is not about Muslim zealots, it is about Murdoch not liking competition.

But outside any religious or political labels, journalists like Walter Cronkite saw the decay of neutral Journalism. Maybe this "different" network will be a test to America, and to the west, if we truly want to be a society that values pluralism and the right to dissent.

I think the world could get back to neutral journalism once everyone on any side understands what business marketing is.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I don't get it, Cheney gets his Haleburton friends rich off of Iraq, but that is not slimy?

If you want to argue that there is too much conflict of interest in politics, that would be a good case. But Al Jazeera like any other private media entity would not be big, if it didn't make money for someone somewhere.

My personal take on Al Jazeera is that like any other business, it caters, but between it and Fox, the smear campaign against it is not about Muslim zealots, it is about Murdoch not liking competition.

But outside any religious or political labels, journalists like Walter Cronkite saw the decay of neutral Journalism. Maybe this "different" network will be a test to America, and to the west, if we truly want to be a society that values pluralism and the right to dissent.

I think the world could get back to neutral journalism once everyone on any side understands what business marketing is.

But they speak that funny language

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:  But

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

gawd-damn devil talk...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mideast news sources

For many reasons including some things back from my DOD days I have searched for decent sources of mideast news and to categorize what does exist. For example there is no problem with a source that is government controlled as long as you know it. Read it and know what the government is thinking. I could wish the US had one.

Al Jazeera is one of the better. It recounts events as people in the middle east see them not through a European filter. Even Israel as the third rail on telling the facts, some newspapers both jewish and Israeli consistently present a more negative view of events in Israel they just don't view it as negative. Al Jazeera does follow what is legitimate news without making it as Fox tries to do.

If by some miracle cable companies start carrying it, and no one really wanted the Gore channel, it will be a great addition to BBC and CNN International. Unfortunately good things haven't happened in US news since the Howard Beale Show went off the air.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:For many

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

For many reasons including some things back from my DOD days I have searched for decent sources of mideast news and to categorize what does exist. For example there is no problem with a source that is government controlled as long as you know it. Read it and know what the government is thinking. I could wish the US had one.

Al Jazeera is one of the better. It recounts events as people in the middle east see them not through a European filter. Even Israel as the third rail on telling the facts, some newspapers both jewish and Israeli consistently present a more negative view of events in Israel they just don't view it as negative. Al Jazeera does follow what is legitimate news without making it as Fox tries to do.

If by some miracle cable companies start carrying it, and no one really wanted the Gore channel, it will be a great addition to BBC and CNN International. Unfortunately good things haven't happened in US news since the Howard Beale Show went off the air.

Noony, this is what miffs me about you. I am not afraid of Al Jazeera being on cable here. My limited exposure to it says that they lean to the Arab east, but DUH. They do not strike me as supporters of terrorism either. Yet you wont cut anyone here any slack when we say "yea, Israel does a lot of harmful shit, but they are still more in tune with western pluralism than Palestine".

This is why I try to drill into your head that "traditions" and "boarders" and labels don't mean shit. Human conflict, no matter what point in time we are talking about is still based on evolution "in group" vs "out group".

They strike me as wanting to be the tool to lead the middle east out of its tribal past and I welcome that. I am certainly sure that Malala was top news on that network as it was worldwide on our western networks.

The real flack here isn't because of religion. The real flack here is that Fox News cant stand it's bread and butter fear mongering being challenged by dissent. Murdoch is the real problem, not Al Jazeera.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
In Australia

We get the Al Jazeera news hour daily at 2 am and 5 am on free to air (non cable) TV just before and after the BBC world news.

I've been quite impressed with it. From what I've seen it seems less biased than the local commercial news networks.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Brian37

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Reminds me of Red on "That 70s Show "What's that foreign kid up to?"