Glenn Beck and Penn Jilette ( Everyday is an Atheist Holiday)

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glenn Beck and Penn Jilette ( Everyday is an Atheist Holiday)

Normally, I can't actually watch Glenn Beck most of the time, but this turned out to be an interesting discussion.  I agree/disagree with some of the talking points by both of them, (too many to cover here) but still found this intriguing for some reason :

I don't know how to embed. Everytime that I have tried, it screw up.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Shit. I typed the sentence

Fixed the first post for you man.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have always really liked

I have always really liked the way Penn presents himself in these types of formats and I think he has a (temporary) rationalizing effect on people like Beck. I have heard from regular Beck watchers that this was really good but just haven't taken the time to watch it myself yet. I know Penn has received some criticism for going on Beck's shows but I think it is immensely positive when the traditional Beck watcher is exposed to someone like Penn who comes across as very reasonable, very friendly and a lot less combative than many of the public atheist figures. I'm not saying that combative atheist figures don't have their place, just that Penn's soft, humble approach can appeal to a lot of people who have a generally negative stereotype of atheists. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Fixed the

Sapient wrote:

Fixed the first post for you man.

Thanks.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
   I agree with the vast

I agree with the vast majority of Penn's Libertarian views.  Even Beck made some good points.  Thanks for posting.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I agree with the vast majority of Penn's Libertarian views.  Even Beck made some good points.  Thanks for posting.

I have to say, that this is the first time in recorded history that I could actually find myself tolerating Glenn Beck and even agreeing with him in some places.

Penn, I have always liked.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I have to say, that this is the first time in recorded history that I could actually find myself tolerating Glenn Beck and even agreeing with him in some places.

Penn, I have always liked.

It's a trick. Glenn Beck is still the same douche bag he has always been. He's either being a chameleon for the sake of Penn's visit or he is absorbing that no one really likes his "doomsday prophecies" and his ratings are in the toilet.

Penn is almost always awesome. Love listening to him talk about serious stuff in a very calm and logical fashion.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
And in typical fashion,

And in typical fashion, Glenn Beck gives false information about the "left and right spectrum". He mixes ideologies as if they were Lego blocks.

Can't stand the guy. He's either a complete idiot trying to seem knowledgeable or he's a complete genius trying to confuse all the viewers in to hating those people he doesn't want in power.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:And in

digitalbeachbum wrote:

And in typical fashion, Glenn Beck gives false information about the "left and right spectrum". He mixes ideologies as if they were Lego blocks.

Can't stand the guy. He's either a complete idiot trying to seem knowledgeable or he's a complete genius trying to confuse all the viewers in to hating those people he doesn't want in power.

If I had to guess, I would say that Beck is not on Fox anymore, so he is trying to pander to a non-Fox crowd. IOW, the tea party people and all the fox viewers did not want him on their station, so in order to stay afloat, he has to put up a new front in the hope of retaining a different viewer following.

I don't think it will probably work, because Glenn has already fucked himself with viewers.

For instance, I posted this on my Facebook wall, certain friends commented with the same remark : " Sorry, but I can not stand to watch Glenn Beck."

At this point, I think that Glenn could claim to have made a complete turnaround and it would not work.

For instance, he semi-defended gay rights in this video. Something tells me that the gay community is just not going to accept Beck that easily.

Beck poked all kinds of horrible fun at Atheists on his show, when he was on Fox, I would like to ask him, what made you decide that Atheists are ok ?

― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say that Beck is not on Fox anymore, so he is trying to pander to a non-Fox crowd. IOW, the tea party people and all the fox viewers did not want him on their station, so in order to stay afloat, he has to put up a new front in the hope of retaining a different viewer following.

I don't think it will probably work, because Glenn has already fucked himself with viewers.

For instance, I posted this on my Facebook wall, certain friends commented with the same remark : " Sorry, but I can not stand to watch Glenn Beck."

At this point, I think that Glenn could claim to have made a complete turnaround and it would not work.

For instance, he semi-defended gay rights in this video. Something tells me that the gay community is just not going to accept Beck that easily.

Beck poked all kinds of horrible fun at Atheists on his show, when he was on Fox, I would like to ask him, what made you decide that Atheists are ok ?

I agree with you. If he appealed to the public, "Look, I was on FOX and I had to do what they told me to do, but now I can speak freely with my own opinions" I don't think the public would believe him. He is like that glass of sour milk you poured on your cereal. You didn't smell it at first, but when you put that first spoonful in your mouth you lose all desire to have cereal at all.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:If I

harleysportster wrote:

No, he hasn't changed much, he still is doing his "end of the world" schtick. I have listened to Beck since before he got his show on Headline News and before he started his "end of the world" shit. His position on gay marriage has always been "I don't care" which is a position that he has gotten a lot of criticism from his listeners. I also don't think he was ever as against atheists as you seem to believe. Yes he pokes fun at them, but he makes fun of everyone including himself (usually himself first). Every once and awhile he will turn on the reverb and have a god/satan conversation and they are funny as hell. I actually really enjoyed listening to his show until he got on Fox and that is when he really started the end of the world shit and I couldn't stand listening anymore because it was too hysterical. But for the most part I think the clips you see on the internet are highly selective and don't give you a good flavor of the show.

More than once I listened to talk radio for a few hours and get home hop on the internet and there is some hubbub over what so and so said on the radio. Reading about it I am left scratching my head going "did they listen to the same show I did?" Not that they don't say ridiculous stuff sometimes, but MediaMatters for example specializes in pulling quotes and making them sound more radical and hateful. You can tell when Rush's ratings are low for example because he will say something off hand that he knows will get the media to report on him, free advertising. For awhile he even advertised in advance that he was going to say something off the wall for the media.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I actually really enjoyed listening to his show until he got on Fox and that is when he really started the end of the world shit and I couldn't stand listening anymore because it was too hysterical. More than once I listened to talk radio for a few hours and get home hop on the internet and there is some hubbub over what so and so said on the radio. Reading about it I am left scratching my head going "did they listen to the same show I did?" Not that they don't say ridiculous stuff sometimes, but MediaMatters for example specializes in pulling quotes and making them sound more radical and hateful. You can tell when Rush's ratings are low for example because he will say something off hand that he knows will get the media to report on him, free advertising. For awhile he even advertised in advance that he was going to say something off the wall for the media.

Well, I must admit, any Beck that happened prior to Fox news, would have been something that I would know nothing about. Pre-Fox Beck and Post-Fox Beck are unfamiliar to me. Prior to watching this interview, everything I know from Beck, was Fox News Beck.

― Giordano Bruno