She's baaack.......

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
She's baaack.......

Did you miss me? 

Finals are this week, I have one more tomorrow.  Feeling good about my grades.  And, in my atheism class we had a guest speaker --- is this cool or what?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Did you miss

cj wrote:

Did you miss me? 

Hell yes ! 

Welcome back. 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back cj

hope all went well with your studies. Look forward to hearing more from you over the solstice. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 So glad to see you back CJ!

So glad to see you back CJ!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Was the first guy your

Was the first guy your professor? Was he chewing a cow? I kept thinking to myself, "Don't worry, he won't choke. He'll eventually swallow it and talk normal."

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back, it's been

Welcome back, it's been quiet around here.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Was

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Was the first guy your professor? Was he chewing a cow? I kept thinking to myself, "Don't worry, he won't choke. He'll eventually swallow it and talk normal."

The very first guy was the head of the philosophy department.  My professor is the guy on stage with Shermer.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Welcome back,

Ktulu wrote:

Welcome back, it's been quiet around here.

I'll do my best to liven things up. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome back cj, I know I

Welcome back cj, I know I speak for many when I say your contributions have been missed. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
WELCOME BACK

Welcome back to the forums, CJ. Your posts have been missed. I would have loved to have been at that lecture.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Welcome back to the forums, CJ. Your posts have been missed. I would have loved to have been at that lecture.

If you manage to wade through the video - I know it is long - you will see there wasn't a real lecture.  The class asked questions and Shermer answered.  It was fascinating and very informative.  I have read some of his stuff already, so some of it was a repeat for me.  But other people in the class had never heard of Shermer or the Skeptic's society.  Some of the questions were really tough.

While in town, Shermer gave a talk at one of the local art theaters about his new book.  It was the first time he had presented the talk, so it needed work.  The new book is about morality and how atheists do better overall than religious on that topic. 

Who-Hooooooooooo - last test is done, I am done, and I wish I had a beer.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
That's an awesome video. I

That's an awesome video. I really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for sharing.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:That's

digitalbeachbum wrote:

That's an awesome video. I really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for sharing.

Pete Boghossian has many of his public lectures on youtube.  Search on his last name for quickest results.  Some of my classmates find Pete intensely annoying, but I think he is okay.

I'm taking a new class from him next term - "new atheism."  Intended to be sort of an anti-apologetics class.  We'll see how it goes. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
In regards to his comment

In regards to his comment about "90% Catholic"...

I've been to S. America and C. America a numbers times. What I have heard from the locals is that 90% of them are Catholic but 90% through guilt.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

cj, what books did you use for your atheism class? 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:cj, what

Philosophicus wrote:

cj, what books did you use for your atheism class? 

Philosopher's Without Gods and 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God,  Lots of supplemental material - videos and papers and more essays.  Pete says he is going to cut back on future classes as we had too much to cover in one term for an undergrad class.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had a former co worker at

I had a former co worker at my last job that would joke when I told him I was going to an atheist convention, "What do you disscuss, nothing?" So what do they teach you at the atheist class, nothing?

He he, anywho, glad you are back and glad you got to have Shermer speak at your class.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog