Your god is actually our god. [YOU RESPOND]

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Your god is actually our god. [YOU RESPOND]

I will inform Teddy that he can find answers to his email here...

Teddy sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Actually, I'm not here to defend "MY GOD" as you so eloquently correspond; I am here to defend "YOUR GOD" because "YOUR GOD" is actually "OUR GOD". Take a look at some "past atheists" who faced their deaths and responded accordingly...and luckily they will be spending time in eternity for they recognized the need of a savior! Some, unfortunately realized the error of thier way.

Brown :" Devils are in the room dragging my soul to hell" 

Voltaire :" I die abandoned by God and man" (the nurse by his bedside said that she would never watch another atheist die as long as she lived Now, one could argue that all of this is to "Scare" people to heaven or "Scare" them to believe. There is scaring here...you either believe or you don't. But be forewarned, we all die; our earthly bodies cease to exist but our souls move on. The question really isn't "Is there a God?" It's where will MY SOUL spend eternity? If you can come to ask THAT question, You will KNOW undoubtedly that there truly IS a GOD and you WILL prayerfully WANT to spend the rest of your eternity with him. He doesn't send people to hell...they send themselves via the choice they make to be seperated from their creator. because it was too horrific for her)

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Priest, to a dying Voltaire

Priest, to a dying Voltaire : "Renounce satan !"

Voltaire : "Now's not the time to be making new enemies"

The guy had a sense of humor. 

Don't know anything about Brown, but it sounds like he was delirious from pain, or good old-fashioned fear of the unknown.

All that being said, Teddy, don't you think deathbed conversions stories are a particularly vile, cowardly, and also completely nonsensical way of trying to justify your religious ideas ? 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe i'm just ignorant, but

maybe i'm just ignorant, but could someone tell me "brown's" first name?  i mean, it is one of the most common surnames in the english-speaking world... 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:maybe i'm just

iwbiek wrote:

maybe i'm just ignorant, but could someone tell me "brown's" first name?  i mean, it is one of the most common surnames in the english-speaking world... 

Teddy just grabbed some quotes from a popular theist forum post that gets copied and pasted all over the internet: http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/330369-deathbed-admission-atheists.html

..so he probably has no idea. 

Neither do I, and considering Voltaire was, as far as I know, a deist,  the list he got these from isn't very trustworthy. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:iwbiek

Anonymouse wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Teddy just grabbed some quotes from a popular theist forum post that gets copied and pasted all over the internet: http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/330369-deathbed-admission-atheists.html

..so he probably has no idea. 

Neither do I, and considering Voltaire was, as far as I know, a deist,  the list he got these from isn't very trustworthy. 

according to wikipedia, at least, nobody can say for sure what happened at his bedside.  it seems his last hours were shamelessly exploited by both christian and anti-christian propagandists.  when i die, i think the last thing i'll be likely to think about it is my religious beliefs, or lack thereof.  i'll probably be more concerned with getting as long a last look at my family as possible.  if i'm conscious, that is. 

if for some reason i'm well known by that time and someone, atheist or otherwise, and ask for some last words about god or religion, i'd probably say something to the effect of "fuck off, you vulture."  i'd wager voltaire felt similarly.

apparently, months before his death, voltaire thought he was going to die, and wrote, "i die adoring god," among other things.

i love how christians emphasize the (alleged) horrible pain this "infidel" felt as he died, as if good christians never die in agony.  i've had several in my family do just that.  one of my uncles was the most convinced, ardent christian i've ever seen, and he even exemplified the whole "love of christ" thing.  his story was stereotypical: christianity turned him from a self-destructive wild man into one of the kindest people you'd ever meet.  he was as genuine as ned flanders, and even now as i remember him i respect him for it.  he died slowly from a brain tumor.  in his last week or so of consciousness, he couldn't even recognize his own daughters.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't make sense to ask

It doesn't make sense to ask where your soul will spend eternity until you determine that a soul does exist and furthermore that a soul survives after the body dies.

And deathbed ramblings are pointless even if you came up with some accurate ones. If you have ever witnessed a person dying you would know that in the period before death people's bodies tend to not be working at 100% including their mind. They are likely to ramble about any random thing, prone to hallucinations and usually incoherent. They are about as reliable a source of evidence as one of the drunk mentally ill guys that occasionally run around the street claiming to be Jesus Christ.

So Teddy, why don't you come back and save all of us by posting a reasonable argument? Preferably one in your own words because we have probably seen anything you can cut and paste. If you can't think of a solid argument, I suggest you pray to God- if he truly is omnipotent he should be able to inspire you to create a solid argument and point us to some evidence that will convince at least some of us to believe in him.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Teddy, There's no such

Teddy, There's no such thing as a soul. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
And let's not forget there's

And let's not forget there's such a thing as deathbed witticisms :

"My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go."

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ..and gravestone

..and gravestone witticisms:

"I told you I was ill"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

..and gravestone witticisms:

"I told you I was ill"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm

Man, I love Spike. 

What time is it now, eh, Eccles ? 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:maybe i'm just

iwbiek wrote:

lmao

Smith: "Oh woe is me, I have renounced god and jesus all my life but now on my death bed I see I was a fool..."

Nurse: "Jesus fucking christ dude, make up your mind"

Smith: "Your right, I don't really believe in any of this tripe"

Nurse: "Thank goodness, I was about to slap the shit out of you"

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: if for some

iwbiek wrote:

if for some reason i'm well known by that time and someone, atheist or otherwise, and ask for some last words about god or religion, i'd probably say something to the effect of "fuck off, you vulture."  i'd wager voltaire felt similarly.

I'd be willing to bet that writer and journalist Christopher Hitchens felt the same way as well. I know he made mention of the hundreds of letters from theists telling him to convert or simply stating that they would be praying for him. He died an Atheist.

iwbiek wrote:

i love how christians emphasize the (alleged) horrible pain this "infidel" felt as he died, as if good christians never die in agony.  i've had several in my family do just that.  one of my uncles was the most convinced, ardent christian i've ever seen, and he even exemplified the whole "love of christ" thing.  his story was stereotypical: christianity turned him from a self-destructive wild man into one of the kindest people you'd ever meet.  he was as genuine as ned flanders, and even now as i remember him i respect him for it.  he died slowly from a brain tumor.  in his last week or so of consciousness, he couldn't even recognize his own daughters.

Several of the very religious people in my family have died agonizing and horrifying deaths as well. Some of them, in the extremities of their pain, began to question their faith towards the end. My grandfather, when he was racked in pain with stomach cancer, had a stream of visitors that all were going to be "praying for him" and telling him that " god could do anything." In private, to me one time, he told me that prayers were worthless and god was not going to save him because god did not exist.

Besides, what kind of a god, would need to get his message about eternal hell across, to people, by allowing non-believers to die in total agony ? Why not appear, heal the non-believer, and give the non-believer a chance ? Oh that's right, god just fucks certain people over because of a supposed thing called free will, which does not even exist.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Several of the very religious people in my family have died agonizing and horrifying deaths as well. Some of them, in the extremities of their pain, began to question their faith towards the end. My grandfather, when he was racked in pain with stomach cancer, had a stream of visitors that all were going to be "praying for him" and telling him that " god could do anything." In private, to me one time, he told me that prayers were worthless and god was not going to save him because god did not exist.

Besides, what kind of a god, would need to get his message about eternal hell across, to people, by allowing non-believers to die in total agony ? Why not appear, heal the non-believer, and give the non-believer a chance ? Oh that's right, god just fucks certain people over because of a supposed thing called free will, which does not even exist.

I like the website which points out that god must hate amputees. Did you ever see this?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

With all the people who claim to have been cured of cancer, aids, etc, why is it that amputees never get a limb to grow back? It's because god doesn't exist or that god hates amputees.

Christians have said, "oh but there have been amputees which have been healed" but when you ask them to provide proof they don't have any.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Teddy, no one in the history

Teddy, no one in the history of evolution has had a god to worship, making up god/s and falsely believing them to be fact does not constitute fact, it just means humans have a bad combo of imagination and wishful thinking.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Mysterious ways

Beyond Saving wrote:
If you can't think of a solid argument, I suggest you pray to God- if he truly is omnipotent he should be able to inspire you to create a solid argument and point us to some evidence that will convince at least some of us to believe in him.   

It seems that God is too busy micromanaging meaninglessness, war, violence, poverty, ignorance and suffering. Either that or he just doesn't have enough respect for religious people to help them.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I like

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I like the website which points out that god must hate amputees. Did you ever see this?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

With all the people who claim to have been cured of cancer, aids, etc, why is it that amputees never get a limb to grow back? It's because god doesn't exist or that god hates amputees.

Christians have said, "oh but there have been amputees which have been healed" but when you ask them to provide proof they don't have any.

Hey ! That was cool link. Thanks for posting that.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno