For those of you in Australia

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
For those of you in Australia

For those of you in Australia...

http://www.space.com/18407-total-solar-eclipse-australia-sun-observing.html

I've never seen one before... not even a partial eclipse. The only two astronomical events I've ever seen which were rare was Halley's comet (1986 flop) and the Hale-Bopp comet (1997 wow). I've also seen meteor showers, some better than others, but I didn't even get to see the Shoemaker-Levy9 one hit the planet Jupiter because I didn't have a telescope.

So what other big astronomical events have you seen?

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I didn't even notice this on the news

Alas, there aren't many people living in the area the total eclipse was visible from. Too far north.

In the mid 70s there was a total eclipse in the middle of a cricket match I was playing in. Quite uncanny.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Alas, there aren't

x wrote:

Alas, there aren't many people living in the area the total eclipse was visible from. Too far north.

In the mid 70s there was a total eclipse in the middle of a cricket match I was playing in. Quite uncanny.

Cool. What did you do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I missed this

but rather annoyingly am flying up to Hamilton Island this Sunday in which place I'd have got a perfect view of the eclipse. Oh well. I'll just have to lie under a palm tree and try not to worry about it. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Not much

digitalbeachbum wrote:

x wrote:

Cool. What did you do?

I demanded that I be brought on to bowl, but still couldn't take a wicket. One of the LBW appeals should probably have been given, but the umpire said he couldn't be sure as it may have pitched outside leg.

Nah, not really; I think we just sucked on a few stubbies and waited till the sun came back.

If I remember correctly nobody made a great fuss of it at the time, but I do remember the welcome drop in temperature and the way the shadow scooted across the ground.

More on the current one:

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/clouds-almost-rain-on-eclipses-parade-20121114-29ch2.html

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bloody umpies

x wrote:

I demanded that I be brought on to bowl, but still couldn't take a wicket. One of the LBW appeals should probably have been given, but the umpire said he couldn't be sure as it may have pitched outside leg.

Always give the benefit of the doubt to those who aren't doing the work. Swizz. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:digitalbeachbum

x wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

x wrote:

Cool. What did you do?

HAHAHAHA, falls out of chair laughing.

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Next one in the US is 21

Next one in the US is 21 Aug, 2017, dbb (I'm assuming you're from that continent?)

I saw a partial eclipse in 2006, but didn't get that eerie 'everything goes dark' feeling unfortunately.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

Next one in the US is 21 Aug, 2017, dbb (I'm assuming you're from that continent?)

I saw a partial eclipse in 2006, but didn't get that eerie 'everything goes dark' feeling unfortunately.

The last time I was in the correct location and the correct time it was raining and I couldn't see doo-doo. Really disappointed.

I hope to see one soon. The last big event I saw was the transit of Venus against our sun.