Touchdown!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Touchdown!

Just watching some MNF and they had a compilation of touchdown dances. Am I the only one who finds them extremely annoying? Sure, I get the fist pump, slapping the guy on the back etc. But seriously, what is up with the ridiculous dances. You are a fucking professional doing your job and when you do a dance that looks like it was invented by a 10 year old mocking their neighbor you just look like a douche.

Of course, more irritating is when some defensive player celebrates a tackle that doesn't matter in a game they are losing bad. Yeah dumb ass, they only gained 5 yards on the first down and you are behind 3 touchdowns wtf are you celebrating for? 

Am I the only one who feels this way? 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not being a fan of football,

Not being a fan of football, I'm not subjected to seeing it often, but many of those I have seen were embarrassing to watch. I'm glad you don't see it, generally, in hockey.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Wladyslaw
atheist
Wladyslaw's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's not over until the

It's not over until the Egyptian dance has been done. Smiling

But in all seriousness, I find them a tad annoying...

To chagrin you further, may I remind you, and anyone else who reads this that these people get paid outrageous sums of money? What the Hell? Literally anybody who can keep up a training regimen can do this, yet they're paid as if they're the only ones that can take a ball a half mile over the same tract of land in a 'strategic' manner over the course of two to four hours... Now lets compare the difficulty of that to the difficulty of what particle physicists do... Yet they're paid 10x, 100x, 1000x (?) the amount of money. :/ But I'm off topic,

To summarize; it's pitiful and annoying, but people are going to try to have as much fun as possible, whether or not it is appropriate... something something extroverts and self-esteem blah blah and all that nonsense  

"Your sins are not redeemed, by swearing perjury." ~ Mathias Blad

"Change how you look at all things and what you see will change" ~ Per Nilsson/Henrik Ohlsson
"As the need for knowledge flows through the catharsis of thought, ask a question and the answer will be born."

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Just

Beyond Saving wrote:

Just watching some MNF and they had a compilation of touchdown dances. Am I the only one who finds them extremely annoying? Sure, I get the fist pump, slapping the guy on the back etc. But seriously, what is up with the ridiculous dances. You are a fucking professional doing your job and when you do a dance that looks like it was invented by a 10 year old mocking their neighbor you just look like a douche.

Of course, more irritating is when some defensive player celebrates a tackle that doesn't matter in a game they are losing bad. Yeah dumb ass, they only gained 5 yards on the first down and you are behind 3 touchdowns wtf are you celebrating for? 

Yeah I'm over it. Also the jumping in to the stands....

I think they do it out of ego.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: Just

Beyond Saving wrote:

I don't mind celebrations as long as it isn't taunting. What irritattes me  the most is when you know you are about to score before you get to the endzone and hold out the ball showing off. I want to kick you in the nuts(not you, well, only metaphorically, but not on this issue). That showing off is how mistakes are made. Get in the endzone first.

But, I was watching that other thing, you know, whom we are going to live under? Lets just say Obama was Da Bears and Romney was the Lions.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wladyslaw wrote: It's not

Wladyslaw wrote:

It's not over until the Egyptian dance has been done. Smiling

But in all seriousness, I find them a tad annoying...

To chagrin you further, may I remind you, and anyone else who reads this that these people get paid outrageous sums of money? What the Hell? Literally anybody who can keep up a training regimen can do this, yet they're paid as if they're the only ones that can take a ball a half mile over the same tract of land in a 'strategic' manner over the course of two to four hours... Now lets compare the difficulty of that to the difficulty of what particle physicists do... Yet they're paid 10x, 100x, 1000x (?) the amount of money. :/ But I'm off topic,

To summarize; it's pitiful and annoying, but people are going to try to have as much fun as possible, whether or not it is appropriate... something something extroverts and self-esteem blah blah and all that nonsense  

That is absurd, many people with very good training regimens never make it into the NFL or make it in but never get a lot of money. It takes more than a little genetic fortune, hard work and raw talent to be any kind of success. For example, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) can certainly maintain a great training regimen but he was an NFL reject. Sure anyone can play football, but people don't want to watch just anyone, they want to watch people who are great at it. (Hence the failure of the UFL and the much smaller success of the AFL and why the LFL doesn't attract nearly as many viewers even though the players are far more attractive.)

As for difficulty, comparing it to particle physicists is comparing apples to peanuts. Both are very difficult but in extremely different ways. Regardless, pay is hardly dependent upon difficulty. How much money you make in a capitalist system relies solely on how much you can convince other people your services are worth. A football player that attracts millions of fans and by extension millions of dollars in revenue is providing far more people with something they want (entertainment) than a particle physicist. Millions of people will willingly spend their time and money to watch a football player play. Millions of people will not willingly spend their time or money to read the latest particle physics journal. Indeed, I suspect that if you put a gun to their head and said "read this journal or give me $1" that millions of people would give you the dollar. 

In our capitalistic society, money comes from giving people what they want- perhaps you have an issue with what people want because it is often rather shallow things and many people have no desire to learn. Then I ask you, do you think you have the moral authority to tell people what they are going to get even if it isn't what they want? 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I don't mind

Brian37 wrote:

I don't mind celebrations as long as it isn't taunting. What irritattes me  the most is when you know you are about to score before you get to the endzone and hold out the ball showing off. I want to kick you in the nuts(not you, well, only metaphorically, but not on this issue). That showing off is how mistakes are made. Get in the endzone first.

Yeah have to agree with you about showing off before the endzone. If I was a coach I would grill anyone who did that. Until you are in the endzone and the refs are signalling touchdown protect the damn ball. I can't remember who it was but I seem to remember a few years ago someone was doing that and dropped the ball causing it to roll out of bounds and fucking up a guaranteed touchdown. 

Brian37 wrote:

But, I was watching that other thing, you know, whom we are going to live under? Lets just say Obama was Da Bears and Romney was the Lions.

lol, as if it matters which one. Romney is going to win and by quite a bit. I know you don't like it but the internals of the polling data are showing a pretty big landslide. But yeah, comparing them to the Bears and Lions is pretty good, they both suck.  The Lions fumbled every time they were in the redzone and the Bears were lackluster and unable to really take advantage of all the turnovers. Seriously, 13 to 7? The amount the Lions were fucking up it should have been 40-7.