Georgia congressman calls evolution/Big Bang a lie from hell

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Georgia congressman calls evolution/Big Bang a lie from hell

http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-calls-evolution-lie-pit-hell-175514039.html

Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.

The Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a medical doctor, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.

"God's word is true," Broun said, according to a video posted on the church's website. "I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

(Rest of the article is found on the link. Hard to believe that a Congressman actually pushes this. This BULLSHIT. Peddling ignorance in the hope of snaring some moronic voters).

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I meant to title my thread :

I meant to title my thread : Congressman calls Evolution/Big Bang a lie from hell. I forgot to type the last part, which was the most important part.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw this as well

He's actually running unopposed according to the article I read.

Is it any wonder Congress can't do anything constructive.

Many Rethug politicians have expressed that even if Global Warming is true, that the god has promised to never murder all the people on the planet again as he did in the flood fairytale. So they see no reason to address it.

So, he will only murder 99.9999999% next time.

People that buy into fairytales as real deserve what they get.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

He's actually running unopposed according to the article I read.

Is it any wonder Congress can't do anything constructive.

Many Rethug politicians have expressed that even if Global Warming is true, that the god has promised to never murder all the people on the planet again as he did in the flood fairytale. So they see no reason to address it.

So, he will only murder 99.9999999% next time.

People that buy into fairytales as real deserve what they get.

It really is a shame that stupidity isn't painful.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What is scary

What is scary is the fact that this FUCKTARD is on the Committee for Science and Technology.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:What

harleysportster wrote:

What is scary is the fact that this FUCKTARD is on the Committee for Science and Technology.

That's just too weird.

It's like a flat earther being the administrator of NASA

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Hard

harleysportster wrote:
Hard to believe that a Congressman actually pushes this.

I find the fact someone can become a doctor and have no fucking clue about basic biology a lot more amazing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri

Manageri wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

I find the fact someone can become a doctor and have no fucking clue about basic biology a lot more amazing.

Said the PHD evolutionary biologist who is an expert on human evolution and omnivores. Oops, I forgot, us atheists must always agree blindly like a theist. Got a transporter you want to peddle me too?

Noonymouse spent years here pontificating about the plight of Palistinians, when no one here was objecting to his claims of their suffering but only raised the tribalism of religion and the dogmatism of both sides that divides them. But you come along with the utopian cure for humanity in terms of absolutes on par with with any theist. Noony is an atheist too with as much fervor for his pet agenda as you do.

I agree that what this congressman spouts is utter bullshit. But we do not live in a utopia where we get to silence or murder others who claim things we find absurd. I am all for using one's own voice to couter the claims of others, including the assinine goal you think is a cure for humanity.

I simply find it funny when you rightfully point at the absurdity of others and cant see the absurdity of your own claim.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, We want to go back before 10,000 years . .

re:: Yes, We want to go back before 10,000 years . .

harleysportster wrote:

Broun said, according to a video posted on the church's website. "I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

I was in the bookstore the other day buying presents for my more senior aunt, who is now going to be older than Methuselah's  grandma. And I couldnt help but noticed next to the history section in the tiny bookstore was a prominently displayed  book claiming God (the word God was in the title) used 'evolution' in creation. I know that everyone from liberal Protestants and Catholics to fruitcakes are excepting evolution, even as a core study. It makes you wonder what would be the difficulty in someone one like him making the leap (Oh, I said fruitcakes because of a couple of groups in mind with that comment, please, dont misinterpret the statement by the word choice).

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dial Nonny for murder . . . .

Dial  Nonny for murder . .

Brian37 wrote:

Manageri wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Said the PHD evolutionary biologist who is an expert on human evolution and omnivores. Oops, I forgot, us atheists must always agree blindly like a theist. Got a transporter you want to peddle me too?

Noonymouse spent years here pontificating about the plight of Palistinians, when no one here was objecting to his claims of their suffering but only raised the tribalism of religion and the dogmatism of both sides that divides them. But you come along with the utopian cure for humanity in terms of absolutes on par with with any theist. Noony is an atheist too with as much fervor for his pet agenda as you do.

I agree that what this congressman spouts is utter bullshit. But we do not live in a utopia where we get to silence or murder others who claim things we find absurd. I am all for using one's own voice to couter the claims of others, including the assinine goal you think is a cure for humanity.

I simply find it funny when you rightfully point at the absurdity of others and cant see the absurdity of your own claim.

Nonny is pretty hardcore, you take a look, at least once in a while, at that Thread nobody (including yours truly) follows. Maybe not always in his manner, but I have tons of general respect for anyone who is willing to take on a religion, in their turf (made a point). He shows no problem in doing just that. Brian, Get out and explore the board more, we'd love to have you :¬

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:What

harleysportster wrote:

That is scary. Thats as bad as allowing crationists on the board of education.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Manageri

Manageri wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

It is frightening that this fucktard has an MD. Wonder where he went to medical school ?

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

I bet scientists and technology engineers shudder that their studies and research have to meet this fucktard's approval.

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is why there should be

This is why there should be a test based on education in order to run for public office.

"I meant to title my thread"

*Fixed*
Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

I bet scientists and technology engineers shudder that their studies and research have to meet this fucktard's approval.

Things are worse here right now. The conservative government has made all kinds of moves to promote christianity and limit science. Thank the gaming gods we finally have someone running for leadership in the liberal party who can replace these backwards idiots who are trying to ruin Canada.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:harleysportster

Vastet wrote:
harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Things are worse here right now. The conservative government has made all kinds of moves to promote christianity and limit science. Thank the gaming gods we finally have someone running for leadership in the liberal party who can replace these backwards idiots who are trying to ruin Canada.

Canada is already ruined by it's bat shit insane cold weather. My only explination to your stint of stupidity up north is that America is the moron who is caughing without covering their theocracy. I thought you guys were ahead of us on secularlism.

I had my flu shots, but you are our neighbor and I cant speak for most Americans. Sorry if our stupidity is infecting you.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The myth of Canadian

The myth of Canadian winters... is a myth. 5 to 10+ years ago they were real, but no longer. Last winter the grass stayed green until summer hit and baked it all to a crisp. Seriously.