AWOL

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
AWOL

Classes started today for me and I have a reading list longer than both of my arms.  And homework already, quizzes, projects......

So, I may be scarce for awhile.  Don't worry, when all lets up - likely after finals in December - I'll be back.

If you care, I'm taking "Atheism" with Peter Boghossian, "Social Deviancy," and "Self, Attitudes & Social Influence."  Count yourselves as the impetus for wanting to figure out why people (including myself) believe what we believe and how we are influenced by those people we associate with.

Look Pete up on Facebook or Google or follow him on Twitter.  Lot of his stuff is posted online and he has a book coming out soon.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Good luck with your studies.

Good luck with your studies.  I have about 3 active projects also, so I think I know how you feel.  Please do drop in once in a while, I for one value your input.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What would even be taught in

What would even be taught in a course called "Atheism"?

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
What will you do without thoses Trolls . .

Without your continued contributions center of gravitas may shift (I dont know). Up side is you'll miss all the troll(s) posting incendiary comments. But, Mainly I am excited for you.  I for one value your input, too.

This is my 666th post, is there a door prize?.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:What

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What would even be taught in a course called "Atheism"?

Man, a lot more than I thought there would be.  Required texts - "Philosophers without Gods" and "50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God."  Suggested reading - about 9 books.  A paper and presentation on one of the 50 reasons.

Required reading each week includes additional essays and videos - some of them classics like the Shermer and Harris vs Deepak Chopra debate.  Topics: Positions on God - historical, theist and atheist; Philosophical questions about religion and theology; biology, belief & ethics; New vs Old Atheism; Critical thinking about reasons for belief in god.

I'm going down for the third time already.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Without your continued contributions center of gravitas may shift (I dont know). Up side is you'll miss all the troll(s) posting incendiary comments. But, Mainly I am excited for you.  I for one value your input, too.

This is my 666th post, is there a door prize?.

If you get one, so do I because I didn't get one at 666. 

Thanks for the kind words.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Miss You Already. Ya'll Come Back Hear.

Well, it certainly has been a pleasure having you around for awhile. While I will miss you I expect more good stuff from what you learn. Perhaps you could post some of your work here now and again when you deem convenient.

Peter Boghossian impresses me. I found him on youtube a few months back. Here is a lecture on "Jesus, the Easter Bunny and other Delusions".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIaPXtZpzBw

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good luck cj

See you again after you've passed with flying colours. 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Well, it

ex-minister wrote:

Well, it certainly has been a pleasure having you around for awhile. While I will miss you I expect more good stuff from what you learn. Perhaps you could post some of your work here now and again when you deem convenient.

Peter Boghossian impresses me. I found him on youtube a few months back. Here is a lecture on "Jesus, the Easter Bunny and other Delusions".

I was at that lecture!!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

See you again after you've passed with flying colours. 

Well, I won't pass if I don't get off of here and start some serious reading. 

Later......

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good Luck

Good Luck with your studies. I am sure that you'll be even MORE equipped to debunk some of these ridiculous notions out there when you get back. Always enjoy your posts and look forward to seeing you return.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
We all look forward to your

We all look forward to your return. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Classes started

cj wrote:

Classes started today for me and I have a reading list longer than both of my arms.  And homework already, quizzes, projects......

So, I may be scarce for awhile.  Don't worry, when all lets up - likely after finals in December - I'll be back.

If you care, I'm taking "Atheism" with Peter Boghossian, "Social Deviancy," and "Self, Attitudes & Social Influence."  Count yourselves as the impetus for wanting to figure out why people (including myself) believe what we believe and how we are influenced by those people we associate with.

Look Pete up on Facebook or Google or follow him on Twitter.  Lot of his stuff is posted online and he has a book coming out soon.

Join a sorority, maybe Inwanna Tapa Keg?

In all seriousness, you may have mentioned your new venture before and I just dont remember, but what studies are you taking? And good luck in any case.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:ex-minister

cj wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

I was at that lecture!!

I just found out about this guy today and already like him.

I bet your going to enjoy taking classes from him.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I like this one

I like this one by Peter Boghossian :

It is called : "Faith : Pretending to know things that you don't know"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4WUFXvCFQ&feature=related

I think he really breaks it down quite well. I like that thought challenge that he provided as well.

I also like this : Every time you say the word "faith" substitute it for " pretending to know things that I don't know"

― Giordano Bruno