Have trouble loading this site? How often?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Have trouble loading this site? How often?

Please give me an idea of how many page loads give you an issue when loading this site.  Lately we've gotten quite a few of these error messages:

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/0.8.54

Can you give me an idea on a percentage basis on how many times you tried to load the site this week and received some sort of error message or time-out?

For me it's about 5-10%.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
5-10% seems about right for

5-10% seems about right for me. Everything also loads pretty slow even when an error doesn't pop up.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
The site itself

The site itself loads up just fine, but when I click on a post, it either takes a long time to pull up or it times out. Same thing with responding to a post. I have learned that even when responding to a post, if I get the time out message, it still posts. But sometimes, it posts twice. I can't speak for everyone else, but it happens to me a lot.

Luckily, I have this site in my favorites bar. So, when I click on a post and it doesn't look like it is going to pull up, I just close the window and re-open it again. That usually fixes the problem.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah I have similar

Yeah I have similar experience as the others, probably about 10% when viewing threads and probably closer to 50% when I click to post but my reply always shows up anyway. The site seems to be running a little slow in general, but I have exceeded my data allowance for the month I think Verizon has slowed me down so I can't really say whether it is you or me.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  It varies for me. 

It varies for me.  Usually it's not too bad.  But for about the last 24 hours it been either really slow to load or just timing out altogether.

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I find that there is

I find that there is always a time out when attempting to look at my thread history...  Also on my mobile it seems to time out a lot more. Perhaps when there is a lot of other traffic... 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 As of about 30 minutes ago

As of about 30 minutes ago our server admin tweaked a few things.  It seems better for me, please update me with any changes you see between yesterday and now.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mostly the same as others,

Mostly the same as others, but yesterday was odd. I could load up the site & browse, but every time I went to log in I got the error.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
yesterday it was pretty bad,

yesterday it was pretty bad, over the past few weeks I would get a timeout about 20% of the time, and every time I clicked "Post Comment"

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Still seems the same to me

Still seems the same to me so far. That last bit of the load bar scares me. I think I might have to go back to praying. Eye-wink Cant really drink at this time.

When I post a comment I have been saving it first to my clipboard cuz getting a timeout then drives me crazy. Between 3am and 4am ET I get timeouts very consistently. I assume you must do reboots then. Is that right?

I suppose the new server is still a few months away. Really looking foreward to that upgrade.

## edit eastern time. And maybe it is running a bit better now

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Between

ex-minister wrote:

Between 3am and 4am ET I get timeouts very consistently.

Autosave of the database at that time of day every day.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:ex-minister

Sapient wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Between 3am and 4am ET I get timeouts very consistently.

Autosave of the database at that time of day every day.

Ah.  That explains the message about no server licenses available about midnight PT last night.  I should have been in bed anyway.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The site is running

The site is running noticeably better. I only hit one timeout and that was during the db autosave time. The response time is better. Thanks.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

GodsUseForAMosquito
User is offlineOffline
 It feels like posts with

It feels like posts with more replies take longer to load than shorter ones, IMO (This shouldn't really matter with a text-based site, and decent bandwidth..). the site seems a bit more stable, although I got a gateway time out this morning still, and it still really lags a lot when opening some threads.

Also, I find that clicking the 'new' link in the recent posts list (i.e. where it shows 12 posts, 3 new) only redirects to the new posts about 50% of the time - the rest of the time it just opens the page at the OP.

Finally, if we're being picky, when I view this site on my mobile, a lot of the time I have to scroll down 50 long posts to get to the paginator, before I can flick to the last page and see the new responses - if the paginator were at the top, this would be really useful!

Just for info.

Cheers for looking at resolving the gateway issue- hope you get a full solution in place easily!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"When I post a comment I

"When I post a comment I have been saving it first to my clipboard"

I've been doing that since '98 lol. A habit I picked up when the net was less stable. Don't do it every time, but most times I type out a paragraph or more I copy it before posting.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

Also, I find that clicking the 'new' link in the recent posts list (i.e. where it shows 12 posts, 3 new) only redirects to the new posts about 50% of the time - the rest of the time it just opens the page at the OP.

That's propably just because that feature stops working when the thread has multiple pages.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

It feels like posts with more replies take longer to load than shorter ones, IMO (This shouldn't really matter with a text-based site, and decent bandwidth..). the site seems a bit more stable, although I got a gateway time out this morning still, and it still really lags a lot when opening some threads.

Finally, if we're being picky, when I view this site on my mobile, a lot of the time I have to scroll down 50 long posts to get to the paginator, before I can flick to the last page and see the new responses - if the paginator were at the top, this would be really useful!

Just for info.

Cheers for looking at resolving the gateway issue- hope you get a full solution in place easily!

Mosquito, We agree.

See this older thread.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/32087

Religion Kills !!!

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re :: .. how might this effect messaging ???

Sapient wrote:

Please give me an idea of how many page loads give you an issue when loading this site.  Lately we've gotten quite a few of these error messages:

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/0.8.54

Can you give me an idea on a percentage basis on how many times you tried to load the site this week and received some sort of error message or time-out?

For me it's  . . .

Anyone who knows, how might this (Time Out) 'effect' messaging ?

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Earlier I was submitting a

Earlier I was submitting a comment and got a timeout. When I got back in the comment was double posted.

Religion Kills !!!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister

ex-minister wrote:

Just for info.

Mosquito, We agree.

See this older thread.

This will be fixed with the site upgrade.  Additionally it will auto recognize mobile and send you to a condensed version of the site.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Incident Report 0001

All times & dates are AEST (ie UTC+10, EST+14)

20120910 estimated 1 gateway fail in 15 attempts.

Fail at 10-Sep-2012 18:17:46

20120911 estimated 2 fails in 16 attempts.

Fail1:

11-Sep-2012 11:56:36
We were able to connect to the MySQL database server (which means your username and password are okay) but not able to select the database.
The MySQL error was: Too many connections.

Fail2:
Unable to connect to database server
The MySQL error was: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.

GodsUseForAMosquito
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:ex-minister

Sapient wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Just for info.

Mosquito, We agree.

See this older thread.

This will be fixed with the site upgrade.  Additionally it will auto recognize mobile and send you to a condensed version of the site.

Fantastic, Thanks Brian!

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:All times & dates

x wrote:

All times & dates are AEST (ie UTC+10, EST+14)

20120910 estimated 1 gateway fail in 15 attempts.

Fail at 10-Sep-2012 18:17:46

20120911 estimated 2 fails in 16 attempts.

Fail1:

11-Sep-2012 11:56:36
We were able to connect to the MySQL database server (which means your username and password are okay) but not able to select the database.
The MySQL error was: Too many connections.

Fail2:
Unable to connect to database server
The MySQL error was: Lost connection to MySQL server during query.

I got that same message last night. In fact, I could not access the site at all last night. I either got a time out or that message above. I just assumed that site maintenance was happening.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Incident Report 0002

20120912 : ok all day bar a flurry of gateway errors at 10am and a couple during the backup timeslot.

20120913 : So far zero errors.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brian,On the low end,

Hey Brian,

On the low end, but more frequently than before. I'd say between 1/500 views and 1/100 views. It is not spread out, though. It's like the site is down for a bit, and then sometime later in the day it's back working. The rest of the time the site works fine. Sorry, haven't kept track of incidents. Site has been fine for me the past few days.

(edit: After reading the thread, I'm guessing it was because I mostly only read, and didn't post. Didn't have as many problems as others.)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yesterday was bad for me.

Yesterday was bad for me. 502 error this time.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the past day or so

For the past day or so everything's been a lot better, can't remember any time outs and shit's loading much faster.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 I think we were down for 7

I think we were down for 7 hours today.  Sorry.  Sad

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Do you have your own

Do you have your own servers, or do you rent them?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Last time you upgraded? What

Last time you upgraded? What brand? Is it a potato?

You probably need a new one.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 We own a new one.  We've

We own a new one.  We've had it all year.  We just haven't been able to implement it yet.  The current one is dying a slow death.  This fall/winter is the hope.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
There were no

There were no gateway time-outs earlier this evening. But, I did get : Internet Explorer can not display the webpage. A couple of times. I just figured it was more site maintenance. There haven't been any time outs on my end in a couple of days. (Although I thought it was comical that a certain poster, who will remain unnamed, blamed the time outs for dodging the debate questions. Hehe. First it was vacation, then it was the fact all of us evil atheists were giving them a chance and now it is the time outs.

Perhaps it was god's will that we be down for maintenance ? Nah. Doubt it.

― Giordano Bruno

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Perhaps it was god's will that we be down for maintenance ?

... or his inadequacies.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 We were down for a few

We were down for a few hours again.  Sorry!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

... or his inadequacies.

nah, if god's out there, it was definitely his will.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Sapient

iwbiek wrote:

Sapient wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

... or his inadequacies.

nah, if god's out there, it was definitely his will.

Which means that god wants this site to be here. Smiling

I knew that god likes Atheists better than his followers. He's probably like some washed up rock n' roll star that hates his fans because they never can get enough of him.

We're the only peace he gets because we are not pestering him for attention.

SO, god loves Atheists.

My proof is that he wants this website to IMPROVE, so he is challenging us by messing with it. It is all part of his plan to get more Atheists so that he can retire.

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"It is all part of his plan

"It is all part of his plan to get more Atheists so that he can retire."

Lol