Why is America falling apart?

amp1022
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Seems to me that this nation started out with prayer and Biblical values, prospered more than just about any other nation in history, then took all the credit, gave up the values, and suddenly went into a rapid decline. I don't mean this to be a debate about whether this country was founded on Christian values, its so obvious its not worth debating. I am just wonder how you feel about your obvious inability to maintain America's success without God's blessings.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister Which of the two is this ???

[ex-minister  wrote]

ex-minister wrote:
one hey-nannie exchange to illustrate what I mean

I know youre not going to like this but I am dying to know who this is See: Image ?

I will try to curtail my inquiry to knowing who is talking to whom. Leave three hints and I'll do my best to figure it out, I promise. There's always the strong possibility it is neither, I know,. Oh, Dont say the word Troll, it will only serve to confuse. I'll try to respect their privacy (if there is any), not hurt them by not.

Who is This /?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dana, I am none of them.

Dana,
I am none of them. Robert Pate is the free will guy. God's Truth also believes in free will. Beloved is a calvinist and I think just about everyone else is also. The line is fuzzy at times and I have to remind myself who is who.

But for those on the outside like us isn't silly how they argue? It's like fighting over how many angels can stand on the head of a pin. Everybody is a Christian there and conservative (more right than left). They throw scripture at each other, extremely confident they are the ones who truly understand the bible and the other guy is not saved, does not understand the gospel and is going to hell. I can CLEARLY see the bible just contradicts itself and they pick a side. It really show why denominations in christianity have historically gone to war with each other and persecuted each other with zero tolerance.

But my original point was you can see that the many of the christians who come here argue in the same way. It may not be that they are trolls but that is how they argue with each other. If you start out believing in non-material beings and "truth" and a spirit enlightens you via a 2000 year old blood sacrifice and there are demons who control others and they don't have the "truth" how you gonna be entirely rational?

If you don't see their slant on scripture then you are of the devil not of the Spirit and therefore they can have nothing but distrust of you from the get go. Ad hominem attacks have to come out of the box right away. The mind of the fundie. And but for the grace of god there go I.

Tangent done. Did I answer your question?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dana, a hint. Free will guys

Dana, a hint.

Free will guys say ==anyone== can be saved. Gods grace is for ALL. Theoretically every human could be saved. All he has to do is come to god, repent, and believe in jesus and him crucified.

A Calvinist believes in predestination. Man cannot choose god because man is just that evil. God picks who he wants to be saved. So jesus died just for those people not everyone. Calvin came up up with the properties of salvation using the acronym TULIP. So the guy who agrees with it is a calvinist. The calvinist says believing and repenting are works and they cannot save you.

Hopefully that helps.

I agree that scripture supports both views. One would think they could see that and become tolerant, but monotheism just doesn't work that way. One God, One Way.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
That's entertainment

ex-minister wrote:

But my original point was you can see that the many of the christians who come here argue in the same way. It may not be that they are trolls but that is how they argue with each other.

I tend to agree and don't usually get wound up by them, though I usually can't be bothered arguing with the same old arguments. Anyway, our streetfighting atheists have them pretty well covered.

That's also partly why Dawkins et al get considered arrogant. Apparently robust debate is the done thing in academia.

Carrier's debates with other academics can be hilarious and brutal too, especially Hoffmann.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to add that the

I would like to add that the rise of gangsters and bank robbers in the 20's and 30's (especially the 30's during the great depression) in this era there was a huge christian influence just like the 40's and 50's that you are talking about, yet there was a huge rise in crime, the al capone's, luck luciano's, carlos gambino, bugsy segal, murder Inc, pretty boy floyd, babe face george, machine gun kelly, etc, etc, etc. You are looking through rose tinted glasses into the past, without actually looking into the causes of the rise of the US in the 50's and the changes that occurred during the 60's and 70's which lead to higher divorce rates, the changes to education during the 90's and 2000's which has lead to lower education requirements and the changes to the bank sectors that lead to the financial collapse in 2008/2009.

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 He's just using a cherry

He's just using a cherry picking fallacy.

It's a shame Amp has gone - I nearly got a full house on Fallacy Bingo from him. I think that even if he knew what a logical fallacy was, he couldn't have raised them any faster.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

It's a shame Amp has gone - I nearly got a full house on Fallacy Bingo from him. I think that even if he knew what a logical fallacy was, he couldn't have raised them any faster.

LOL. The term "logical fallacy" seems to be lost on a whole lot of fundamentalists who argue from the Bible and make total assertions.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

DP

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

LOL. The term "logical fallacy" seems to be lost on a whole lot of fundamentalists who argue from the Bible and make total assertions.

Most theists don't know what logic is. The christians especially, though it may just be experience talking, have no idea what logic is. They treat the bible as if it were a dictionary, self help book, history lesson, and guide to thinking. It fails in all these aspects, but they can't see it through the brainwashing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

America is falling apart because this is The End Times™.   Haven't you been keeping up with  Hal Lindsey, John Hagee, Tim Lahaye, Peter and Paul Lalonde, and all the other screaming preachers ?   It's the beginning of the f**king Apocalypse™ you moron.       This is all supposed to be happening according to God's schedule, so sit back and enjoy it.  It's not like you can stop it from happening.

Listen you prick, we are a planet of 7 billion people and this is the only home I have. If I had my way you and your bloodthirsty friends could find another planet to butcher each other over. You'd expect me to worship such a fucking prick?

Seriously your pet diety would be like a parent handing guns and knives to his 3 sons and says "Try and kill each other and the last one standing gets to kiss my ass".

And every generation since that death cult was started has claimed to know when the end is comming. Morons like you want it to happen, I don't. I'd rather you not spread your posion and infect others with it. I don't give one fuck what you believe, but I will always take a stand against calls for blood and doomsday bullshit. Your nuttiness gets people killed.

Grow the fuck up. You are NOT the only human on this planet and you are not the only one with a god claim on this planet. Your selfish narcissism is delusional and dangerous to humanity and those who value peace.

NOW to Christians and Muslims and Jews who may read thee above, this is NOT aimed at people who value peace and non violence. This is a verbal bitch slap to ANYONE who thinks they are the center of the universe and the planet we live on is one giant game of capture the flag.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian .. He was being sarcastic OKAY ???

Brian wrote:
  Listen 'you' prick, we are a planet of 7 billion people and this is the only home I have. If I had my way you and your bloodthirsty friends could find another planet to butcher each other over. You'd expect me to worship such a fucking prick?

Hold your horses there Tonto, the prick (who isnt one, and I am found of)  is  our  good kimosabe. Brain,  He was being sarcastic. This is a good indication you have too many things going on (serious). Sarcastic (check the latest Avatar).

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Sarcastic (check the latest Avatar).

LOL. There have been a couple of posts in the pasts, that I would see the avatar and think "This new person sounds like Prozac Death Wish." Then I would see the name and say "IT IS Prozac Death Wish".

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
(See: the Avatar .. )

The artful Avatar in question See::Image

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:Brian

danatemporary wrote:

Brian wrote:
  Listen 'you' prick, we are a planet of 7 billion people and this is the only home I have. If I had my way you and your bloodthirsty friends could find another planet to butcher each other over. You'd expect me to worship such a fucking prick?

Hold your horses there Tonto, the prick (who isnt one, and I am found of)  is  our  good kimosabe. Brain,  He was being sarcastic. This is a good indication you have too many things going on (serious). Sarcastic (check the latest Avatar).

HOLLY FUCK, thanks for pointing out my error. Sorry Prozac, that was ment for the doomsday nutter, I was on auto piliot. Thanks for pointing that out to me Dana. But the message to those who do want the "end times" to come I do seriously wish those nuts would stop spreading their poison.

Sorry about that Prozac.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:Brian

danatemporary wrote:

Brian wrote:

HOLLY FUCK, thanks for pointing out my error. Sorry Prozac, that was ment for the doomsday nutter, I was on auto piliot. Thanks for pointing that out to me Dana. But the message to those who do want the "end times" to come I do seriously wish those nuts would stop spreading their poison.

Sorry about that Prozac.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
amp1022 wrote:When in the

amp1022 wrote:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

the first two sentences mention God 3 times. They even go so far as to say that it is God that endows us with our rights as human beings, seriously why would you even say that without looking at the document first? you would only have needed to read the first two lines.

"Nature's God" isn't the God of the Bible. The God of the Bible is an artificial construct.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
amp1022 wrote:Seems to me

amp1022 wrote:

Seems to me that this nation started out with prayer and Biblical values, prospered more than just about any other nation in history, then took all the credit, gave up the values, and suddenly went into a rapid decline. I don't mean this to be a debate about whether this country was founded on Christian values, its so obvious its not worth debating. I am just wonder how you feel about your obvious inability to maintain America's success without God's blessings.

Our ethics rise up spontaneously from within and don’t have to be imposed from the outside, disbelief in God doesn’t take away that ability.

Being atheist means not believing in a deity.  It doesn’t mean giving up our history or culture and values. What makes you think it does?

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  HOLLY

Brian37 wrote:

Sorry about that Prozac.

Don't worry about it Brian.  I recognized that you misinterpreted my post.  No biggie. 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
amp1022 wrote:Why is America

amp1022 wrote:

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."  -- Benjamin Franklin

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen