Priest says that victims are to blame for sex abuse

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Priest says that victims are to blame for sex abuse

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/nyregion/in-interview-the-rev-benedict-groeschel-says-abuse-victims-can-be-seducers.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1346416113-+CPnTOBt5/RtfWIZ7W2ZWA

Priest Puts Blame on Some Victims of Sexual Abuse

A prominent Roman Catholic spiritual leader who has spent decades counseling wayward priests for the archdiocese provoked shock and outrage on Thursday as word spread of a recent interview he did with a Catholic newspaper during which he said that “youngsters” were often to blame when priests sexually abused them and that priests should not be jailed for such abuse on their first offense.

(The rest of the article is in the link. I am surprised that this has not gotten more national attention. This guy actually says the young kids were "seducing " the priests and first time offenders should not be jailed. Un- fucking believable).

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's all well and good

It's all well and good criticising these paedophile priests, but surely some of the blame should be on the altar boys for being so damn sexy?

Spoof letter to British satirical Magazine Viz in 2009..

Poe's law in action.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

It's all well and good criticising these paedophile priests, but surely some of the blame should be on the altar boys for being so damn sexy?

Poe's law in action.

LOL.

Yeah, everyone knows that all of those young altar boys wanted it, were asking for it and seduced these helpless old men that could not pray away their sexual repressions. Smiling

I don't understand why so MANY of these priests are going after young children.

EDIT : Thankfully enough, as a former Catholic, that is one type of thing that I was lucky enough to avoid, maybe I was not a cute enough altar boy ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blaming the victim ??!!???!!!

It's all well and good criticising these pedophile priests, but surely some of the blame should be on the altar boys for being so damn sexy?

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ^ er no. Look up satire. 

^ er no. Look up satire. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Poe's law in action.

LOL.

Yeah, everyone knows that all of those young altar boys wanted it, were asking for it and seduced these helpless old men that could not pray away their sexual repressions. Smiling

I don't understand why so MANY of these priests are going after young children.

EDIT : Thankfully enough, as a former Catholic, that is one type of thing that I was lucky enough to avoid, maybe I was not a cute enough altar boy ?

No Harly it wasn't that you weren't cute, you just didn't hang out in the right area. In your next life when you are a  youth, try hanging out at the Penn State Locker room. Maybe you could get lucky there.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well can you really blame

Well can you really blame the priest? The bible doesn't really talk about pedophilia.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/pedophilia.html

And as you know if the bible doesn't say anything about it the religious man is confused. God didn't say it. I don't know what to do. That's good enough for me and I feel like a 12 year old.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
general comment . . .

danatemporary wrote:

It's all well and good criticising these pedophile priests, but surely some of the blame should be on the altar boys for being so damn sexy?

general comment ..

Sorry didnt direct that to the original OP's comments, as I should have.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of him mulling it over . . . .

ex-minister wrote:
Well can you really blame the priest? The bible doesn't really talk about pedophilia.

And as you know if the bible doesn't say anything about it the religious man is confused. God didn't say it. I don't know what to do. That's good enough for me and I feel like a 12 year old.

From the little I know of the man. He is a universalist, the priest in question. Born a catholic and found his vocation directly out of middle school or high school,. For him there is a strong possibility of him mulling it over in his head. And the only logical conclusion, to his mind, is these men must have been seduced. How could you account for their involvement ?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Well can

ex-minister wrote:

Have you heard about the new Catholic confessionals? The windows are groin high.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No Harly it

Brian37 wrote:

No Harly it wasn't that you weren't cute, you just didn't hang out in the right area. In your next life when you are a  youth, try hanging out at the Penn State Locker room. Maybe you could get lucky there.

I'll pass on the pedophile experience.

Religion gave me enough childhood trauma without including that one.

― Giordano Bruno

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
WOW

that is just crazy... pedophile priests are probably NAMBLA members

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I'll pass on the pedophile experience.

Religion gave me enough childhood trauma without including that one.

You are so closed minded. Come on you know the saying "If there is grass on the field, play ball". LOL

In all seriousness though, being a former Catholic and lucky enough not to be an alter boy, I get ya. There was so much shit the Preacher quoted from the bible about hell and damnation and fear, not to mention there was a dead guy depiction  on a stick every Sunday selling death as a virtue, not to mention all the non religious bulling I got in high school, the thought of getting raped, male or female, at that age? No kid should have to go through that. Life sucks as it is without that horrible reality.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Usually I'm too late to

Usually I'm too late to safely clean multiposts. Made it this time! XD

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Thats the entire God cop out right there, when we ask questions why bad shit happens to us, God says "It's your fault".

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
New News .. Benedictine Father Groeschel, he has passed away

>> Re :: Sept 12th .. Update  -- News  on Benedictine Father  Groeschel,  he passed away over the weekend

Popped by  and  as long as  I heard the news about Father 'Pete' Groeschel . .

View/Image(s) ::

http://tinypic.com/r/vfb0qe/8

http://i62.tinypic.com/vfb0qe.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/pvul4/8

http://i62.tinypic.com/pvul4.jpg