Huckabee/ Akin and "Blessed " Rape Victims

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huckabee/ Akin and "Blessed " Rape Victims

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/21/missouri-republican-official-god-chose-to-bless-women-with-pregnancies-from-rape/

Missouri Republican official: ‘God chose to bless’ women with pregnancies from rape

By David Edwards
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:48 EDT

An official from Missouri’s Republican Party on Monday defended Senate candidate Todd Akin after he suggested abortions should not be allowed in any case because victims of “legitimate” rape victims could not get pregnant.

GOP 4th Senate District Committeewoman Sharon Barnes told The New York Times “that abortion is never an option.”

In an interview with KTVI-TV over the weekend, Akin had said that “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” referring to pregnancy after so-called “legitimate rape.”

Barnes “echoed Mr. Akin’s statement that very few rapes resulted in pregnancy,” according to the Times, and she added that “at that point, if God has chosen to bless this person with a life, you don’t kill it.”

“That’s more what I believe he was trying to state,” she insisted. “He just phrased it badly.”

During an interview with Akin on Monday, Fox News host Mike Huckabee noted that “forcible rapes” had created some “extraordinary people.”

“Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape,” Huckabee pointed out. “I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape.”

“And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things.”

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah right, I'm about to

Yeah right, I'm about to get controversial here to illustrate how full of shit these people are.

Joe Pesci forbid one of these guys' (Akin, Huckabee) wives get raped by a black man and see what happens.  I know some will be upset I brought race into it but think about it.  Most of these far right nut bags are racist as hell, and to see a half black baby born to their own wife would make their head explode.  It's all OK to them because they don't give a fuck about women, and it's not happening to them.  Well let it hit close to home, and throw in some of their own hatred and I bet you'd see hypocrisy boil over.  Interview that kid 20 years later and see how he/she was treated by their parents and people in the church.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sickens me to see

It sickens me to see everything nasty about our nation's history bubble up after we supposedly moved on. I sometimes feel we are living in the 60s again.

There does not need to be a ban on abortion. The only solution that maintains the rights of the right wing and the left is simple, if you don't want an abortion, don't have one. The assholes who want an outright ban would do nothing to take care of that baby if forced to be born. They would not adopt them themselves.

This is not about protecting life. Life is also the life of the woman and her ability to raise the kid, and her mental state, her environment, which if no one gives a shit about can and will affect that baby and society as well. This is not about life, this is nothing short of religious ideology on par with Sharia law. It takes away the dignity of women's rights over their own bodies and their right to medical privacy. It is also hypocritical for these same assholes to claim "small government" but have no problem producing Orwellian laws that make Big Brother look like a First Amendment advocate.

This is a backslide to the dark ages. On top of that it is insidiously wrapped in the flag with the feigned virtue of patriotism, when it is merely a form of fascism.  The republican party has been hijacked by theocrats who care only about the submission of others.

But this long term tactic can only backlash. Our modern media and internet gives this tribalistic witch hunt fewer places to hide from the sunlight of scrutiny. However, those who do not subscribe to their push to move humanity backwards, cannot make the assumption, we must remain vigilant always. And that isn't so much to squash their dissent, but to insure no form of monopoly or fascism can arise.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
And so have other Rethugs

harleysportster wrote:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/21/missouri-republican-official-god-chose-to-bless-women-with-pregnancies-from-rape/

Missouri Republican official: ‘God chose to bless’ women with pregnancies from rape

By David Edwards

An official from Missouri’s Republican Party on Monday defended Senate candidate Todd Akin after he suggested abortions should not be allowed in any case because victims of “legitimate” rape victims could not get pregnant.

GOP 4th Senate District Committeewoman Sharon Barnes told The New York Times “that abortion is never an option.”

Rep Steve King (Iowa - R) claimed he'd never heard of a 12 year-old rape victim getting pregnant.

Here's one for you Steve from the nearby state or Arkansas- http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Level-4-sex-offender-charged-with-rape-of-two/Eahg14VX5U2cRU41ffg9cg.cspx

And the report is from a Fox Affiliate Steve, so you should have no reason to doubt.

He has vigorously defended Akin as well - http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/08/21/kings-no-pregnant-12-year-old-rape-victims-just-latest-his-anti-choice-diatribes

Now, as all good Rethugs, he is suddenly switching his tunes.

It appears now he is suddenly supporting abortion even for non-forcible rape, that being statutory rape (underage consensual for example or consensual with an adult).

see - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/21/1122638/-Steve-King-s-office-asserts-support-for-federal-abortion-coverage-even-for-non-forcible-rapes

As the mind of one of the Christian Rethugs is schizophrenic, nothing should surprise anyone at the bullshit that comes forth from their mouths.

They want less government in their lives in regard to money and taxes, but want more government when it comes to your freedoms and morals.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

By David Edwards

Rep Steve King (Iowa - R) claimed he'd never heard of a 12 year-old rape victim getting pregnant.

Here's one for you Steve from the nearby state or Arkansas- http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Level-4-sex-offender-charged-with-rape-of-two/Eahg14VX5U2cRU41ffg9cg.cspx

And the report is from a Fox Affiliate Steve, so you should have no reason to doubt.

He has vigorously defended Akin as well - http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/08/21/kings-no-pregnant-12-year-old-rape-victims-just-latest-his-anti-choice-diatribes

Now, as all good Rethugs, he is suddenly switching his tunes.

It appears now he is suddenly supporting abortion even for non-forcible rape, that being statutory rape (underage consensual for example or consensual with an adult).

see - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/21/1122638/-Steve-King-s-office-asserts-support-for-federal-abortion-coverage-even-for-non-forcible-rapes

As the mind of one of the Christian Rethugs is schizophrenic, nothing should surprise anyone at the bullshit that comes forth from their mouths.

They want less government in their lives in regard to money and taxes, but want more government when it comes to your freedoms and morals.

What a shocker!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog