Site is up and down [UPDATES from Sapient]

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Site is up and down [UPDATES from Sapient]

I was not able to get this page to pull up the last couple of days. Sure am glad that it is back up and running now. I was having some serious RRS withdrawals. Glad I was able to pull the page up and get my daily fix.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah apparently server

yeah apparently server problems.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Yup, problems are finally

Yup, problems are finally resolved.  New hard drives, new OS install.  New configurations.  

I'm so thankful to have such an amazing server admin who is able to address these issues as they come up.  The server we purchased in the spring is not hosting our site yet.  Real life work got in the way of getting it up and running in the time frame we expected.  Our hope is that we can get the new server up and running in the winter.  

Sorry for the down time!!  Glad to be back online!

By the way, expenses were incurred that require payment soon.  I like to make all RRS purchases out of the Paypal account which currently doesn't have enough to cover it.  If you want to send a few bucks to the paypal account to help ensure I can cover costs this month, please feel free to chip in.  I only need about $75 more in that account in the next two weeks.  http://www.rationalresponders.com/donate

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it was down for 2-3

I think it was down for 2-3 days for me.  Glad it is back up.  

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
I noticed the downtime

I noticed the downtime keenly as well. I was suprised to notice how often I was trying to refresh my pages to check on the discussions (but couldn't).

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:I noticed

ThunderJones wrote:

I noticed the downtime keenly as well. I was suprised to notice how often I was trying to refresh my pages to check on the discussions (but couldn't).

Hopefully, some of the trolls on here (names need not be mentioned) encountered the same problem and thought us evil atheists had blocked them off the page and they gave up.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:  I

harleysportster wrote:

I was not able to get this page to pull up the last couple of days. Sure am glad that it is back up and running now. I was having some serious RRS withdrawals. Glad I was able to pull the page up and get my daily fix.

Yep, was recommended this site by a friend and was beginning to this it was a figment of their imagination!

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty.

Peggotty wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Yep, was recommended this site by a friend and was beginning to this it was a figment of their imagination!

Welcome to the sight and tell us about yourself.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

Hopefully, some of the trolls on here (names need not be mentioned) encountered the same problem and thought us evil atheists had blocked them off the page and they gave up.

I don't have high hopes. Bishadi seems to still be here, so, enough said.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:\I don't

ThunderJones wrote:

\I don't have high hopes. Bishadi seems to still be here, so, enough said.

Bad pennies...

Turning up...

Property of copper ? Harley is an idiot an can't comprehend...

What IS website down ? Sorry high skool ed mods here

Property of evolution and electronics.......

Whut is website emergence

(Thought I would go ahead and just give a Bishadi parody before he responds to this post).

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty wrote:Yep, was

Peggotty wrote:

Nope, unlike god, this website actually exists Smiling

Welcome to the forum and why not go ahead and post an introduction thread while your here ?

Theists, Atheists, Panentheists, Pagans and anyone else is welcome.

― Giordano Bruno

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

\I don't have high hopes. Bishadi seems to still be here, so, enough said.

Bad pennies...

Turning up...

Property of copper ? Harley is an idiot an can't comprehend...

What IS website down ? Sorry high skool ed mods here

Property of evolution and electronics.......

Whut is website emergence

(Thought I would go ahead and just give a Bishadi parody before he responds to this post).

Lol, thats pretty good Smiling I would add that the pinacle of the transistor is to half inverse square radius.

Think about it!!!

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got scared and thought

I got scared and thought maybe the site is gone! I have seen forums disappear like that overnight! I realized I don't even have anyone's e-mail address from this site if something did happen!

Can anyone please give me their e-mail so I can get in touch with them in case of emergency? I guess I can't receive PMs but Brian can you please make an exception just this once only because it's for a worst case scenario?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I got scared and thought maybe the site is gone! I have seen forums disappear like that overnight! I realized I don't even have anyone's e-mail address from this site if something did happen!

Can anyone please give me their e-mail so I can get in touch with them in case of emergency? I guess I can't receive PMs but Brian can you please make an exception just this once only because it's for a worst case scenario?

You can follow Sapient's posts via Twitter and Facebook.  There was an announcement posted there about the networking of sites being down.

― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I know what you mean . . . .

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I got scared and thought maybe the site is gone!

Laughing, When this first happened I was on the  horn to Sapient almost immediately for that very reason. I tried to play it down with humor but I dont think he was buying it.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
First of all, I'm so sorry

First of all, I'm so sorry the site was down.  As you know we haven't upgraded yet.  We did in fact buy a new server in the winter.  It was our intent to move on to it along with an upgrade to the new server by March, however with several unexpected delays and real life work getting in the way, we were unable to make our deadline.  We had this self imposed deadline because we knew we'd be too busy through the summer to handle the switch.  We purchased the server because we knew we were reaching the end of the life cycle for our current server.  The down time in the last few days is essentially failings of an old server.  We still have real life work and over the last few days we've had other things going on at the same time.  It's frustrating for us, while you folks worry if the site is gone, we worry if we're going to lose some of our visitors.  A popular site must be up at all times, it's something we strive for.  Sorry for the inconvenience and wasted time logging on to a broken site.  

Rest easy knowing, WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

We just got ourselves set up for a minimum of 6 more years.  I promise you, we're not going anywhere!

I've always said this, and it's still as true today.  And if all goes as planned, your own personal journey and writings on this site aren't going anywhere either.  When we get to the new server I might delete some old topics with few or no responses, but you can expect that if you step away for 5 years and decide to return to read your old posts, they will be here.  I wish I could still view my posts as I left theism on Atheistnetwork.com from back in the day.  I would've paid whatever Jake needed to keep all that up and running.  He cut costs by scrapping the database at least twice in my journey and then just shut the doors for good.  I know that feeling, you wont see me doing that.  No disrespect to Jake, but you just wont see it happening here.  It is the singular most important goal I have in regards to administering this site.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Feel free to take down this email address, decode it and add me to your contacts: infidel      sapient   @T    HAWTMALE    ...... calm

If it happens again, I'd be glad to fire off a quick email letting you know if the site is down, how long, or if it's just you.  If it's down, I promise, it's coming back.

You can also follow me on Twitter, I try to always tweet about any site outages I'm aware of.  Those tweets also connect on my Facebook page.  If you send me a friend request on facebook, include a note telling me your name on this site, or that I know you from here, otherwise I might not approve you.

https://twitter.com/rationalsquad

https://www.facebook.com/brian.sapient

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I WILL NOT BE IGNORED DAN!Oh

I WILL NOT BE IGNORED DAN!

Oh wait, that is a quote from the movie "Fatal Attraction". Since I am not Jean Calvin, I will just chalk it up to " shit happens".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
My email should be visible

My email should be visible on my profile. If not, it's:
[email protected]

I fear no trolls or hate mails. I have a special folder specifically for such correspondence to brighten my day whenever I'm upset. The idea that reality pissed someone off enough to send me a message pleases me greatly, and almost makes up for the existence of stupid people who do so. At least they are entertaining in their stupidity.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:First of all,

Sapient wrote:

First of all, I'm so sorry the site was down.  As you know we haven't upgraded yet.  We did in fact buy a new server in the winter.  It was our intent to move on to it along with an upgrade to the new server by March, however with several unexpected delays and real life work getting in the way, we were unable to make our deadline.  We had this self imposed deadline because we knew we'd be too busy through the summer to handle the switch.  We purchased the server because we knew we were reaching the end of the life cycle for our current server.  The down time in the last few days is essentially failings of an old server.  We still have real life work and over the last few days we've had other things going on at the same time.  It's frustrating for us, while you folks worry if the site is gone, we worry if we're going to lose some of our visitors.  A popular site must be up at all times, it's something we strive for.  Sorry for the inconvenience and wasted time logging on to a broken site.  

Rest easy knowing, WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

We just got ourselves set up for a minimum of 6 more years.  I promise you, we're not going anywhere!

I've always said this, and it's still as true today.  And if all goes as planned, your own personal journey and writings on this site aren't going anywhere either.  When we get to the new server I might delete some old topics with few or no responses, but you can expect that if you step away for 5 years and decide to return to read your old posts, they will be here.  I wish I could still view my posts as I left theism on Atheistnetwork.com from back in the day.  I would've paid whatever Jake needed to keep all that up and running.  He cut costs by scrapping the database at least twice in my journey and then just shut the doors for good.  I know that feeling, you wont see me doing that.  No disrespect to Jake, but you just wont see it happening here.  It is the singular most important goal I have in regards to administering this site.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Feel free to take down this email address, decode it and add me to your contacts: infidel      sapient   @T    HAWTMALE    ...... calm

If it happens again, I'd be glad to fire off a quick email letting you know if the site is down, how long, or if it's just you.  If it's down, I promise, it's coming back.

You can also follow me on Twitter, I try to always tweet about any site outages I'm aware of.  Those tweets also connect on my Facebook page.  If you send me a friend request on facebook, include a note telling me your name on this site, or that I know you from here, otherwise I might not approve you.

https://twitter.com/rationalsquad

https://www.facebook.com/brian.sapient

Thanks buddy! I just sent you an e-mail and I also followed you on Twitter! Please respond to my e-mail so we have another means of communication just in case!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com