Another dead atheist - Gore Vidal

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Another dead atheist - Gore Vidal

I read a couple of his books and found them to be fairly amusing but flawed.

He seemed a bit crazy at times, but always entertaining.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/celebrated-us-author-gore-vidal-dies-20120801-23eqe.html

Gore Vidal, the author, playwright, politician and commentator whose novels, essays, plays and opinions were stamped by his immodest wit and unconventional wisdom, died on Tuesday, his nephew said.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
flawed in what way? 

flawed in what way?  historically?  i know at least half his stuff were novels about american history.  i've never read any gore vidal.  his books tend to be long so i'm hesitant to make a commitment.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:flawed in what

iwbiek wrote:

flawed in what way?  historically?  i know at least half his stuff were novels about american history.  i've never read any gore vidal.  his books tend to be long so i'm hesitant to make a commitment.

I think you have just taken fear of commitment to the next level... 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:iwbiek

Ktulu wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I think you have just taken fear of commitment to the next level... 

lol.  look, hoss, i got a 40-hour a week job, a baby boy, property to maintain, and library full of hundreds of books of which i've read at best a third, and i'm a slow reader.  i'm to the point now i have to be selective.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Aesthetically

iwbiek wrote:

I think I've only read Myron and Duluth and that was a long time ago, so my memory may be flawed.

However, I do recall that I found them mildly entertainly, but not particularly thought provoking or well written. Even a bit dull, despite the potentially racy subject matter.

I decided to not bother reading any more of his stuff after that.

Others obviously disagree, but that's my opinion. It probably would have helped if I was more familiar with the US.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
This time Phyllis Diller

Phyllis Diller died in her sleep at her L.A. home, surrounded by family. She was 95.

http://www.examiner.com/article/in-memoriam-phyllis-diller-actress-humorist-atheist

"We were not created by a deity. We created the deity in our image."

"Religion is such a medieval idea. Don't get me started. I have thought about every facet of religion and I can't buy any of it."

How would she like to be remembered?

"For being funny. Well, I should say being kind. I am a kind person. I'm kind to everybody. I treat everybody the same, and I'm proud of that. In fact, that's my religion."

Not only, but also:

"They say housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?"

'If it can fit in a toaster, I can cook it'

' if you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen'

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Phyllis Diller died

x wrote:

Phyllis Diller died in her sleep at her L.A. home, surrounded by family. She was 95.

ah, phyllis diller.  that woman was amazing.  i never understood what all the fuss was about betty white's "comeback" three or four years ago.  phyllis diller had been keeping her career alive and showing her versatility nonstop for over 60 years.

--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:x wrote:Phyllis

iwbiek wrote:

x wrote:

ah, phyllis diller.  that woman was amazing.  i never understood what all the fuss was about betty white's "comeback" three or four years ago.  phyllis diller had been keeping her career alive and showing her versatility nonstop for over 60 years.

I agree iwbiek.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
More Phyllis

"Best way to get rid of kitchen odors: Eat out."

"Never go to bed angry. Stay up and fight."

"Burt Reynolds once asked me out. I was in his room."

"My photographs don't do me justice. They just look like me."

I buried a lot of my ironing in the back yard.

It's a good thing that beauty is only skin deep, or I'd be rotten to the core.

Our dog died from licking our wedding picture.

The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.

Tranquilizers work only if you follow the advice on the bottle - keep away from children.

What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day.