Social Deprivation Has a Measurable Effect On Brain Growth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Social Deprivation Has a Measurable Effect On Brain Growth

Excerpts:
"Increasingly we are finding evidence that exposure to childhood adversity has a negative effect on brain development," says Sheridan. "The implications are wide ranging, not just for institutionalized children but also for children exposed to abuse, abandonment, violence during war, extreme poverty and other adversities."

On MRI, children with histories of any institutional rearing had significantly smaller gray matter volumes in the cortex of the brain than never-institutionalized children, even if they had been placed in foster care.
Children who remained in institutional care had significantly reduced white matter volume as compared with those never institutionalized.

Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120723162652.htm

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's an article I will

That's an article I will have to bookmark.  It has seemed to me for years that if we want to end child abuse, abandonment, etc. we have to start with parents and children and how the children are raised.  And it will take a few generations to see any difference.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.