Wealthy hiding $21 trillion in tax havens

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wealthy hiding $21 trillion in tax havens

The global "super-rich elite" are hiding more than $21 trillion US in tax havens, the amount equal to the combined GDP of the United States and Japan, according to a new report.

Commissioned by the Tax Justice Network, an independent British organization, the report is said to be the most comprehensive ever done concerning what it calls the “offshore economy.”

Researched and written by James Henry, an expert on tax havens, the report states the hidden money could be as large as $32 trillion, and represents a massive black hole in the world's economy.

The report says:
-UBS, Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs are the three private banks handling the most assets offshore
-92,000 people, or 0.001 per cent of the world’s population, hold $21 trillion in hidden assets

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/07/22/tax-havens.html

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
And Miff Romney is hiding

And Miff Romney is hiding his millions in overseas tax havens!

Even independent observers and many in the GOP have said there is no good reason why Romney won't release the 10 years of returns that ALL presidential candidates have going back to his DAD who started it!

He either is hiding money in overseas tax shelters or doing something shady or BOTH!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 How are the assets

How are the assets "hidden"? It has been well known that people in the developed world routinely invest in business ventures overseas. Is that money doing nothing? Have you ever eaten at a McDonalds Vastet? Guess what, the money that built that McDonalds is in a "tax haven". As near as I can tell the report includes 100% of money that is invested outside of its owners home country. Are you suggesting we stop all international trade and all money be kept in country? 

Their measure of assets includes all invested money which would presumably include things such as foreign savings bonds, foreign stock ownership and the building of factories and such overseas (it is talking assets not annual income). I suspect that the $21 trillion figure is quite low as the US alone has $141 trillion in financial assets alone. I don't know how many countries they are drawing from to come up with the $21 trillion, their report looks like it was written by a 5th grader. What I could gather is it does include money invested from the US to such "tax havens" as France, Germany and the UK which was brushed over in one page. It makes a big deal about the income being "unreported" in the home country... of course it is, you are under no obligation to report assets until you repatriate them. That does not mean they are untaxed, you still have legal obligations to report the assets and earnings in whatever country the money is in. 

The actual report is available at http://www.taxjustice.net/cms/front_content.php?idcat=148

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The very fact that Romney is

The very fact that Romney is not releasing them shows he's covering something up!  If he's got nothing to hide why not release them??

Even many conservatives like Bill Kristol and George Will said Romney should release more returns!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

The very fact that Romney is not releasing them shows he's covering something up!  If he's got nothing to hide why not release them??

Even many conservatives like Bill Kristol and George Will said Romney should release more returns!

lol

You are such a political hack. I hope you at least have the sense to be getting paid by the Obama campaign. If you are not, you should apply for a job, you're a natural exhibiting blind loyalty and boldly pushing irrelevant talking points at every opportunity. http://www.barackobama.com/employment

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

lol

You are such a political hack. I hope you at least have the sense to be getting paid by the Obama campaign. If you are not, you should apply for a job, you're a natural exhibiting blind loyalty and boldly pushing irrelevant talking points at every opportunity. http://www.barackobama.com/employment

Didn't you read what I stated?? Many Republicans are calling for Romney to release more returns! That has nothing to do with Obama!

Every presidential candidate has released around 10 years of returns for the last 50 years of campaigning!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

lol

Didn't you read what I stated?? Many Republicans are calling for Romney to release more returns! That has nothing to do with Obama!

Every presidential candidate has released around 10 years of returns for the last 50 years of campaigning!

I know, I used to play the political game too. You have your talking points and you repeat them ad nauseam even when they are not germane to the topic at hand. Foreign investment income is not reported on tax returns until you repatriate your money, the article the OP links to speaks specifically to money that has not been repatriated. If you want to know how much of Romney's money is invested overseas you need to view his public financial disclosure http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/romney-disclosure/index.html knock yourself out.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is onlineOnline
For all your blowhard

For all your blowhard attacks that I don't understand shit, you can't seem to get the concepts of the law of unintended consequences or moral hazard.

WTF do you expect people to do when you have ever increasing theft by tax collectors to fund BS like a guy with 30 kids and a minimum wage job?

But I just can't get the concept that you're so compassionate with other people's money. All you can do is make sure you let everyone know what an idiot I am for this.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Yawn* So sayeth the rich

*Yawn*

So sayeth the rich until they've hoarded enough wealth that the poor cut off their heads and take what they earned from the rich thieves. And amazingly, the rich never learn. The cycle continues.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
And-

Vastet wrote:
*Yawn* So sayeth the rich until they've hoarded enough wealth that the poor cut off their heads and take what they earned from the rich thieves. And amazingly, the rich never learn. The cycle continues.

Rumney doesn't believe a word he says.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Vastet wrote:*Yawn* So

Vastet wrote:
*Yawn* So sayeth the rich until they've hoarded enough wealth that the poor cut off their heads and take what they earned from the rich thieves. And amazingly, the rich never learn. The cycle continues.

What pisses me off is that it is not about wealth, but absolute power.

When you look at evolution in any given mammal, the alpha male can rule by dictation, or share and BOTH happen, but what never happens is that those who gain that absolute power because of the monopoly of resources keep it forever.

My problem is not wealth, it does take wealth to fund things and pooling resources is what makes humans social animals. My issue is jadedness and monopolies, not wealth by itself. Just the idea that once you gain power you don't have to take your subordinates into account.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog