Andy Griffith dies,

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Andy Griffith dies,

No link, but it is all over the news. The tv sheriff of Mayberry  and Matlock star as died. Was never a fan of the show, but even today the music to that show is iconic, to the point that even young people know it. Historical TV icon.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh that's sad. He is a

oh that's sad. He is a distant cousin of mine. Never met him though. Fond memories of his show.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No link, but

Brian37 wrote:

No link, but it is all over the news. The tv sheriff of Mayberry  and Matlock star as died. Was never a fan of the show, but even today the music to that show is iconic, to the point that even young people know it. Historical TV icon.

I used to watch the re-runs of the Andy Griffith show, when I was a little kid. I also remember him in a comedy called " No Time For Sergeants," about the military. 

Don Knotts and him did make for some enjoyable comedy. 

Never watched Matlock though. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ex-minister wrote:oh that's

ex-minister wrote:
oh that's sad. He is a distant cousin of mine. Never met him though. Fond memories of his show.

There is an atheist in every family.

But upon the few times I did watch it, Hollywood has never been a fan of bigotry and has always promoted a sense of fairness. As much as I bought into my own bigotry of the south, it was still a show that displayed a sense of working people, and a sense of fairness. That motif was lost on me growing up, but it makes sense now.

I have a friend named Hillbilly Atheist, who has over the years of knowing him, destroyed my own bigotry of the south. I don't see Andy Griffith or even Don Knotts, who went on to play the apartment manager in 3's Company in which Jack was presumed gay, as being the types to promote bigotry and hate.

I often tease my mom today about her Mayberry mindset as far as the cost of living today, but the reality is, that hollywood has never been a fan of bullies or monopolies, at least as far as the actors.

I wish our economics were as simplistic as those times, and I wish the worst crime we'd have to worry about is the local drunk like on the show. But life is never a Hallmark card and Mayberry never existed in reality.

But having met Hillbilly almost 7 years ago, I have a much different view of the south than I used to have. It still has it's baggage, but when it comes to the working people vs the uber rich, the only reason people in the south vote republican is that someone manages to sell them utopias.

How far removed are you from Andy?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh yeah. My mother named one

oh yeah. My mother named one of dogs after the mayberry drunk, otis.

My mothers grandmother was a Griffith.I think its like 4th or 5th cousin. But as my grandpa would say that and a buck would get you a cup of coffee.

My mother has a picture which shows all the Griffith siblings and she points to one of the many and says Andy is down that line. I certainly see our family resemblance.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ex-minister wrote:oh yeah.

ex-minister wrote:
oh yeah. My mother named one of dogs after the mayberry drunk, otis. My mothers grandmother was a Griffith.I think its like 4th or 5th cousin. But as my grandpa would say that and a buck would get you a cup of coffee. My mother has a picture which shows all the Griffith siblings and she points to one of the many and says Andy is down that line. I certainly see our family resemblance.

Thanks to Hillbilly Atheist, I cant have as much fun bashing the south as I did. I really think through my education of rich vs poor, class will always trump politics and geographics. Does it really matter what your politics or where you are born matter if you are among the working class? I may hate the naivety of the show, but it did convey a compassion for the working class and less fortunate.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Now that most of the

Now that most of the cast is deceased maybe they could do a zombie version of the show where Aunt Bea, Barney, Otis, Goober, Floyd the barber, etc, come back from the dead and start attacking the townspeople and eating their brains.