Ode To The Power Of Prayer

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ode To The Power Of Prayer

Was it religion or science that changed these numbers?

Religion had 4000+ years. How many trillions of prayers got a yes?  Science has had only a few centuries and you don't even have to believe in it. 

THE POWER OF PRAYER.....NOT

More at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/06/22/how-we-die-in-one-chart/

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1113569

The first thing to notice here is how much our mortality rate has dropped over the course of a century, largely due to big reductions in infectious diseases like tuberculosis and influenza.

The way we talk about medical conditions has changed, too. NEJM finds that, back in 1812 – the first year it published – reports of spontaneous combustion were taken quite seriously by the medical community, as were debates over how, exactly one would be injured by a close-call with a cannonball:

Doctors agreed that even a near miss by a cannonball — without contact — could shatter bones, blind people, or even kill them (1812f). Reports of spontaneous combustion, especially of “brandy-drinking men and women,” received serious, if skeptical, consideration (1812g). And physicians were obsessed with fevers — puerperal, petechial, catarrhal, and even an outbreak of “spotted fever” in which some patients were neither spotted nor febrile (1812e).

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the New England Journal

On the New England Journal of Medicine is an interesting interactive chart. Give it a try.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1113569

It just to the right on the first page called Interactive Graphic, Top 10 Causes of Death in the United States, 1900–2010.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

Yeah if I had to pick between the cures prescribed in the book of leviticus (involving bat's blood and such) or a good medical doctor when I am sick. I think I'll take the medical doctor. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: Yeah

harleysportster wrote:

Yeah if I had to pick between the cures prescribed in the book of leviticus (involving bat's blood and such) or a good medical doctor when I am sick. I think I'll take the medical doctor. 

The sickest thing I saw in my mom's doctor's office was a painting of a doctor operating on a patient, but behind the doctor, with arms wrapped around the doctor "guiding his hands" as if giving a golf lesson, was Jesus. I didn't say anything at the time but was thinking "HOLY FUCKING SHIT MR, I hope the last thing on your mind if you cut into my mom is your stupid superstition".

The best answer to "prayer" in a time of danger was the "miracle on the Hudson" when a reporter asked Sully if he said a prayer and he rightfully said "I didn't have time". No fucking god saved that plane, his training and focus on the problem saved their lives.

And to any believer reading this, if you think I am being mean, would you want someone with a loved one's life in their hands thinking about a different god than yours? Or would you want them focused on saving the life of your loved one?

Seriously Christians Muslims and Jews especially.

Is a pilot's training Allah based or Jesus based or Yahweh based? Or is it TRAINING BASED?

Is a doctor's knife guided by Allah or Jesus or Yahweh? Or is it EDUCATION AND TRAINING BASED?

If prayer worked then why the mixed and selective outcome? And how cruel is this alleged being to cherry pick when he did not have to set the game up like it is?

Did it ever occur to believers that good outcomes and bad outcomes are NOT the result of a puppeteer or a cosmic battle between a Super Hero and Super villain?

If all humans did was accept gap answers then Sully could have been distracted by praying to Osirus or Pink unicorns. If a gap answer was good enough for a doctor, then the next time he cuts into you, tell him to say a prayer to the sun, it would amount to the same thing.

I am glad humans constantly challenge social norms and superstition. It is why humanity progresses despite how our ignorant traditions and childish myths AS A SPECIES, IN SPITE OF THAT we have managed to leave the caves.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Seriously

Brian37 wrote:

Is a pilot's training Allah based or Jesus based or Yahweh based? Or is it TRAINING BASED?

Is a doctor's knife guided by Allah or Jesus or Yahweh? Or is it EDUCATION AND TRAINING BASED?

If prayer worked then why the mixed and selective outcome? And how cruel is this alleged being to cherry pick when he did not have to set the game up like it is?

Did it ever occur to believers that good outcomes and bad outcomes are NOT the result of a puppeteer or a cosmic battle between a Super Hero and Super villain?

That's a good analogy to demonstrate :

Christian Patient : Doctor, do you think that this operation will be a success ? 

Doctor : I have five degrees and have been doing this for years. I have performed this operation thousands of times and foresee no difficulties. 

Christian Patient : Oh, that's good, what is your religion ? 

Doctor : Actually, I don't have one. I am an Atheist.

Would the Christian patient scream " Well in THAT CASE. I am not going to have the operation and will go see my pastor to pray over me and use the cures described in the Bible ? 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Reports

ex-minister wrote:
Reports of spontaneous combustion, especially of “brandy-drinking men and women,” received serious, if skeptical, consideration

Well brandy is my liquor of choice and I have started it on fire for a quick flambe which could cause a burn if you're not careful. I have tried many different brands of brandy over the years and have not spontaneously combusted yet although a few nights I overindulged to the point I wish I spontaneously combusted. In the name of science, I shall continue experimenting with different brands of brandy until I can't find any more brands or I spontaneously combust. I hope you all appreciate the sacrifice I am making to further scientific knowledge. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ex-minister wrote:
Reports of spontaneous combustion, especially of “brandy-drinking men and women,” received serious, if skeptical, consideration

Well brandy is my liquor of choice and I have started it on fire for a quick flambe which could cause a burn if you're not careful. I have tried many different brands of brandy over the years and have not spontaneously combusted yet although a few nights I overindulged to the point I wish I spontaneously combusted. In the name of science, I shall continue experimenting with different brands of brandy until I can't find any more brands or I spontaneously combust. I hope you all appreciate the sacrifice I am making to further scientific knowledge. 

You do have a "liquor" but it is not brandy, that may be your mistress, but you are married to Aynd Rand economics.

Now let this be a lesson to all the theist of any label who read this, I do like Beyond outside the issue of economics and we are both atheists, but on the issue of economics, I CANNOT STAND HIM. He scares  me as much with his chichi economics as any religion does with their "one size fits all" mentality.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

:lol: 

You keep doing that Beyond. I'll even contribute to the science of this by seeing if Jack Daniels or Jim Beam or beer ever do the same thing to me. 

I was tricked into drinking Everclear one time and I think I came dangerously close to combusting. 

Someone else can volunteer for the Everclear test. I nominate Jean. 

― Giordano Bruno

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And to any

Brian37 wrote:
And to any believer reading this, if you think I am being mean, would you want someone with a loved one's life in their hands thinking about a different god than yours? Or would you want them focused on saving the life of your loved one?

There is no G-d but G-d.

Solved that pesky little problem ...

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote: There

FurryCatHerder wrote:

There is no G-d but G-d.

Would you mind explaining that to me ? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. But I truly am puzzled by that definition. 

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Brian37

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

There is no G-d but G-d.

Where have you been? Nice to see you back in all seriousness.

Well if it is all the same then you could be a Christian or Muslim, but you are not.

How about the third option? How about all these clubs are made up and humans merely make up gods?

None of these gods or any for that matter were around 500,000 years ago and what makes you think your religion, or any religion will exist after our species goes extinct?

You'd really have me believe, like any Christian or Muslim, that there is a magic man in the sky with a magic wand that "poof"ed everything into existence on this tiny dot in a hostile universe on a violent home and waited billions of years to say something and used flawed humans to write a book/s people still fight over and then blames them for the game he set up?

You still have a "pesky" problem, all the claimants of the god/s of Abraham, and any religion for that matter, NO EVIDENCE AND ALL FAITH.

Tradition is not evidence of a god.

Popularity of a belief is not evidence of a god.

Faith is not evidence of a god.

Humans make up gods, that solves your "pesky" problem. Come to the dark side Furry, we'll teach you how to barbecue kittens, that or you'll enjoy reality for a change.

Pleasant welcome back wasn't it?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

There is no G-d but G-d.

Would you mind explaining that to me ? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. But I truly am puzzled by that definition. 

There aren't three gods, the god of the Jews, the god of the Christians, and the god of the Muslims.  There is only one G-d.  While Christians have turned their god-concept into a polytheistic mess, and Muslims have tacked on a prophet who botched a fair number of things, these are not three different deities, but rather one.

Nor do Jews claim that Ha El, Ha Kadosh Baruch Hu is unique to the Jews.  G-d isn't "our" G-d, like we own G-d and you have to be a Jew to believe in our G-d (or worship or pray to or pay attention to or ...).  G-d is THE G-d.  I don't speak  Arabic, but if I did I wouldn't have any problem referring to G-d as "Allah".  When I speak with Muslims, Arabic expressions and idioms do slip into the conversation, and I'm not sinning by saying something like "insh'allah" or "alhamdul'allah" -- "G-d willing" and "Praise G-d!", loosely speaking.

So, to answer the question, if the pilot of the plane I'm on gets down on his or her knees, faces Meccah and gets in a quick prayer before take-off, I'm fine with that.  Dittos for some Christian.  Or any other person who does their thing to recognize that G-d reigns supreme over the entire Universe (whether you like it, or believe it, or not).

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian,Great to be back, but

Brian,

Great to be back, but I see you're still trying really hard to convince yourself that you're an Atheist.

I'm not interested in being a part of that.  Either you believe in G-d, or you don't.  Please don't work out your struggle with Atheism on me.  Just not interested.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

Great to be back, but I see you're still trying really hard to convince yourself that you're an Atheist.

I'm not interested in being a part of that.  Either you believe in G-d, or you don't.  Please don't work out your struggle with Atheism on me.  Just not interested.

I'm honestly confused, what is his 'struggle with Atheism'? Seemed to me that he was disputing one of your posts, not having a atheism identity crisis.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
::Whew::

ThunderJones wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

I'm honestly confused, what is his 'struggle with Atheism'? Seemed to me that he was disputing one of your posts, not having a atheism identity crisis.

Whew . .

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

Whew . .

I guess this must be something from before I got here O.o

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones

ThunderJones wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

Whew . .

Lol, yeah history- they got lots of it. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

Whew . .

Lol, yeah history- they got lots of it. 

ROFLMAO ! 

― Giordano Bruno