Reality Check

How appologists see themselves.

How the world sees apologists

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leave cats out of this, I

Leave cats out of this, I love cats. What did any cat ever do to you? Funny stuff though, and SOOOOO true.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Reminds me of this

I was watching Jeffrick deal with this crazed, windbag loon the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLmcDSlrqc

I was amazed how Jeffrick managed to keep a straight face.

To be fair, the pastor did come across as more of a professionally deceitful, smarmy snake-oil salesman than a true tin-hatter, but maybe he really did believe what he said.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
You bet X.

I did feel like wacking him, thats why I seem to be jumping around the chair so much. Toward the end I get more animated what pissed me off the most was his childish cliches' about "Hitler was an atheist' and "it takes more faith to be an atheist" crappola.   Your description of the pastor is accurate and I still can't tell how much of the crap he actually believes and how much is just part of the job.  Thanks for haveing the patients to watch it.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:I was watching

x wrote:

I was watching Jeffrick deal with this crazed, windbag loon the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLmcDSlrqc

I was amazed how Jeffrick managed to keep a straight face.

To be fair, the pastor did come across as more of a professionally deceitful, smarmy snake-oil salesman than a true tin-hatter, but maybe he really did believe what he said.

I am constantly conflicted by the thought of which is worse to me, a person who truly believes the crap they peddle or the person who knows better but doesn't give a fuck.

But before the fear mongering believers reading this get their panties in a bunch, I have long since accepted that delusions and irrational behavior has always been a part of human evolution, so do not think because of my blasphemy and harsh words here about claims other humans make, means I am out for blood, no, just simply bitching about our species and it's gullibility in our history.

The truth as to why a religion becomes popular, ANY RELIGION, has nothing to do with any deity being real, religions in our species history come and go, and only become successful through marketing and die because of lack of interest or changing times. But no one here of any belief should ever fool themselves in thinking our species needs their belief to survive. Our species was around long before we concocted Hinduism, or Buddhism or Shintoism or Taoism or Christianity or Islam or Hebrew or the polytheism of the Romans or Egyptians, and if our current religions are discarded, our ability to make babies wont go away.

Evolution is not religious based, it does not care about the labels we hold, all it takes for evolution to work is to make offspring. If the placebo delusions we falsely comfort ourselves with get us to that point, that sugar pill does work, but only as a sugar pill.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Evolution is

Brian37 wrote:

Evolution is not religious based, it does not care about the labels we hold, all it takes for evolution to work is to make offspring. If the placebo delusions we falsely comfort ourselves with get us to that point, that sugar pill does work, but only as a sugar pill.

Agreed. 

I had a link bookmarked somewhere on my old computer, that showed all of these assertions about people healing faster through prayer in hospitals was false. 

Just like this moron that told me one time : People who have god in their lives are much happier than those who don't. 

He got real pissed when I asked for some evidence of that. 

The meme that non-believers must be really bitter, angry, resentful and hate-filled people seems to be very strong. 

I think that is because the churches are filled with people that give testimonies like : "My life was so empty until I came here" or "I was a hopeless case until I came here"

That doesn't prove anything to me. Simply means that they found something to replace whatever was causing them misery. 

I could say : " My life was pretty empty, but then I discovered riding Harleys made me feel better, therefore Harleys are the key to life" 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the laugh and

Ktulu, Thanks for the laugh and putting a smile on my face.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I am constantly conflicted

"I am constantly conflicted by the thought of which is worse to me, a person who truly believes the crap they peddle or the person who knows better but doesn't give a fuck."

I look at it differently. Who is more dangerous?

The snake oil salesperson will do anything to make a buck, it's just plain greed. People will get hurt, but mostly their pocketbooks.

The believer, however, is truly dangerous. They may go so far as to kill and conspire, on top of everything the snake oil salesperson will do.

The true believer may be a better person in the eyes of many, simply for being honest, but he or she is far worse a person insofar as harm to society goes.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thankfully there are fewer

Thankfully there are fewer and fewer of those crazy apologists around! Give it time my friends and we'll win the war over religion!

I say give the apologists DEATH!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:To be fair, the

x wrote:

Pastor Dan has his little soul patch.  He's hip, he's cool and his halting speech pattern reminds me of a stoned surfer dude.   He probably conducts "contemporary" Christian church services to appeal to the youth.   

No matter how hard he styles himself as being modern and contemporary his views regarding the origin and age of the universe are straight along the lines the Bronze Age fools who first contrived their feeble supernatural explanations.  What a freaking tool.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Agreed. 

I had a link bookmarked somewhere on my old computer, that showed all of these assertions about people healing faster through prayer in hospitals was false. 

Just like this moron that told me one time : People who have god in their lives are much happier than those who don't. 

He got real pissed when I asked for some evidence of that. 

The meme that non-believers must be really bitter, angry, resentful and hate-filled people seems to be very strong. 

I think that is because the churches are filled with people that give testimonies like : "My life was so empty until I came here" or "I was a hopeless case until I came here"

That doesn't prove anything to me. Simply means that they found something to replace whatever was causing them misery. 

I could say : " My life was pretty empty, but then I discovered riding Harleys made me feel better, therefore Harleys are the key to life" 

Quote:

But easy to understand. In evolution there is the alpha male group, and the "out group" the "different". So a Christian or non Shiite in Iran is going to be as "bitter and angry" as an atheist is in the west.

When the top dog in a society constantly steps on the necks of the lesser, of course the lesser are going to get mad.

But that does not mean that the least in that society, because they are pissed at the majority, cannot or do not find happiness in their lives. No human goes through their lives in one static emotion. And no human who is angry about one topic means they are angry about all of life.