Where did everyone go?

mac
User is offlineOffline
Where did everyone go?

I've been coming to this site on and off again for about 4 years now. Maybe this was addressed some where else but where did some of the founding members go and some biggest contributors like todangst go?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mac wrote:I've been coming

mac wrote:

I've been coming to this site on and off again for about 4 years now. Maybe this was addressed some where else but where did some of the founding members go and some biggest contributors like todangst go?

The simple explanation is that times change and people change. Some of it literally had to do with economics when the economy tanked. But since we are talking about multiple people here, you'd have to ask Brian Sapient.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Mac.

mac wrote:

Only 2 posts?  you've been a member has long as I have. Speak up once in a while, tell us what's on  your mind. Join in  the fun.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some have left, and are

Some have left, and are missed. But others have joined, and are welcome. And some continue to plod on.

Standard fare for a healthy and active internet forum. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:mac

Jeffrick wrote:

mac wrote:

Only 2 posts?  you've been a member has long as I have. Speak up once in a while, tell us what's on  your mind. Join in  the fun.

Yeah right, the big question is "where has mac been?"

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:mac wrote:I've

Brian37 wrote:

mac wrote:

The simple explanation is that times change and people change. Some of it literally had to do with economics when the economy tanked. But since we are talking about multiple people here, you'd have to ask Brian Sapient.

What does the economy have to do with coming on a free message board??

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Rapture happened and

The Rapture happened and apparently "Once saved, always saved" applies to Christians who become Atheists, but not to Christians who become Jews.

Or Christians like Jean Chauvin who are asshats.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:The

FurryCatHerder wrote:

The Rapture happened and apparently "Once saved, always saved" applies to Christians who become Atheists, but not to Christians who become Jews.

LMAO!! Even most Christians don't believe in that rapture nonsense!

Actually it would be good if it happened and got rid of the world's ChristNUTS!!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

mac wrote:

Because people have to spend more time at work.  When this site was at it's busiest there were three people working full time at RRS and two of them had a part time job.  Rook and Kelly moved on to full time jobs and the "times changing" part.  I had to not only get a full time job but I work several seasonal/part time jobs as well.  When the economy tanked we had many people contact us to tell us they could no longer support the site as they had to tighten finances.  The activity on this site was helped greatly by having three people write daily and record radio shows for it.  The down economy sent us elsewhere to be able to support ourselves.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Fewer cats

Kapkao hasn't been around lately either.

I miss the cats and comments.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

mac wrote:

Because people have to spend more time at work.  When this site was at it's busiest there were three people working full time at RRS and two of them had a part time job.  Rook and Kelly moved on to full time jobs and the "times changing" part.  I had to not only get a full time job but I work several seasonal/part time jobs as well.  When the economy tanked we had many people contact us to tell us they could no longer support the site as they had to tighten finances.  The activity on this site was helped greatly by having three people write daily and record radio shows for it.  The down economy sent us elsewhere to be able to support ourselves.

I can understand about tightening finances since I've had to do the same.  But even with that you can still show up here once in a while to post for free!

If my situation gets better I would love to get a Bronze medal or whatever and donate $3 a month to you!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:If

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

If my situation gets better I would love to get a Bronze medal or whatever and donate $3 a month to you!

Even =I= can afford a Bronze medal now -- time to get with the program Eye-wink

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Question (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The Rational Response Squad Board

I think it is definitely a healthy board.  I am a Christian, don't believe in the rapture, don't attend a church, etc, found the discussion to be very good over here in regards to how many people are posting.  That is what made me think of this board today.  It is seems to be a fairly diverse group and interesting people.  Definitely not a board that looks dead to me.  If anyone is on today could I'd like to ask your moderators and long term people a hypothetical question.  Actually one of my friends is going through it so it isn't quite hypothetical but it has to do with a message board. 

Here is the story, briefly.  One friend created, designed and launched a message board like this one for another friend of mine.  The reason being they were being severely harrassed on the board they were on.  These two people were best friends and although they held opposite pov's on many things / their friends couldn't stand each other it wasn't a problem for this new board that was created was an entirely different place.  People joined and it was a great board.  Everyone got along well.  Then suddenly the board these two people had originally come from was closed unexpectedly.  So their friends all showed up on the new board and immediately demanded he get rid of his friend ( the one he made the board for )  The board became a war zone because the guy refused to appoint moderators or ban anyone.  In the midst of the war a troll showed up who others found very familiar and were suspicious of.  They felt it was someone from an old middle east board that was friends with the troublemakers on that board and no one was happy.  The acting admin told her friend lets hold a vote for moderators then but don't allow this person to be sole moderator when you don't know who it is and they have only been there 3 weeks.  Well, now they learned this new moderator wants all members deleted who do not write regularly on their message board.  More people are now posting about who this Moderator really is, if its a troll from the past, they don't trust her, etc.  Meanwhile my one friend has allowed the troll to take over his board.

Although he had appointed his best friend as the acting admin so he could leave he wouldn't allow her to hold the vote or to dismiss the moderator everyone was suspicious of there.   I'm wondering if he should have just let her do the administrating and dismissed the moderator as now he is out a friend and stuck with a bad moderator.  What do you think?  If it was your board what would you do? 

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Sorry I'm not as perfect as you!

I would like to take a look at your furry cat though!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Sorry I'm not as perfect as you!

It took me a LONG TIME before my perfection allow me to cough up $3 a month.  I do need to yell at Brian because my "Inbox" is back to being locked and I thought the $3 a month level of bronze medalhood would have unlocked it ...

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I would like to take a look at your furry cat though!

There are two ways to interpret that.

1). All of my cats are strays.  You're welcome to hang out, help mow the lawn and trim the trees and wait for one of them to show up and then you can look at them.

2). Sorry, I only sleep with strict monotheists and atheists who are willing to keep kosher.  I have a feeling you're neither.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:There

FurryCatHerder wrote:

1). All of my cats are strays.  You're welcome to hang out, help mow the lawn and trim the trees and wait for one of them to show up and then you can look at them.

2). Sorry, I only sleep with strict monotheists and atheists who are willing to keep kosher.  I have a feeling you're neither.

Hey, I'm an atheist and I can keep kosher! What do you mean by that? You mean they must only eat kosher food?

I've already been a member here 2 and a half years!  Anyone want to wish a happy 2.5 year anniversary?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm interested in what

I'm interested in what keeping kosher means as well.

If it means I can't have bacon then that's not kosher with me.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Furry what is it with you and the double ontondra ?

Double ontondra ? Okay okay  JesusNeverExisted might be implying something there. 

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: Double

danatemporary wrote:

Double ontondra ? Okay okay  JesusNeverExisted might be implying something there. 

I'll be glad to pet your cat too my friend!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: Double

danatemporary wrote:

JesusNeverExisted is trying to separate me from my panties.  Hooking up with me would involve separating him from a cozy existence where G-d doesn't get mentioned just about every single minute of every single day.

Non-Jewish Atheists and Christians can probably work out, on account of most Christians are only Christians one or two hours of the week.  Better he should chase someone else Eye-wink

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I'm interested

Watcher wrote:

What is this bacon of which you speak made of?  Does turkey bacon count as bacon in your world?  What about beef bacon?

My atheist friend Stephen turned me on to really yummy veggie burger patties so I could have kosher cheeseburgers at his house when I'd visit him.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Watcher

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Watcher wrote:

What is this bacon of which you speak made of?  Does turkey bacon count as bacon in your world?  What about beef bacon?

My atheist friend Stephen turned me on to really yummy veggie burger patties so I could have kosher cheeseburgers at his house when I'd visit him.

TURKEY BACON! BLASPHEMER! The only way turkey and bacon should be next to each other is if you decide to wrap turkey in bacon or stuff turkey with bacon. 

You don't know what yummy is until you have had a nice thick slab of generously peppered bacon cooked crisp dipped in runny egg yolk and/or pure maple syrup. (And yes, the bacon has to be pork)

Although as heavenly as bacon is I understand the taboo against eating pork, if I was in the ancient times trying to clean a pig in 100+ degree heat with poor quality knives I would probably go home to the old lady and tell her "sorry babe, god said he doesn't want us eating pork" especially since the process of making bacon hadn't been invented yet. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

JesusNeverExisted is trying to separate me from my panties.  Hooking up with me would involve separating him from a cozy existence where G-d doesn't get mentioned just about every single minute of every single day.

Non-Jewish Atheists and Christians can probably work out, on account of most Christians are only Christians one or two hours of the week.  Better he should chase someone else Eye-wink

Where god does NOT get mentioned every minute of every day? Then we have that in common!

And I am a Non-Jewish atheist so I can probably work it out!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
@ Question (not

@ Question (not verified)

It sounds chaotic and confusing. If I were a member there, I'd save what I cared about and jump ship.
If I owned the site, I'd get rid of the power tripping moderator and set down some solid rules. After about 5 or 6 months I might have an idea about who could be trusted with light mod duties (restricted so nothing they could do would threaten the site).
After keeping an eye on those mods I might have an idea that I could trust one or more of them with full mod duties.

But because it is the internet, and drama potentially significant enough to get a page on ED may be in progress, I'd just shut the whole thing down before it goes any further.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Not intending to

mac wrote:

kick anyone in the slates.

How long can one go on pointing out that there's no God. Eventually one gets to the end of it. I think most come, look around, and will be back some other time. It's automatic for interest to wain over time. Alpha Smurf recommends I move on and check back periodically. They looked over my posts and think things are covered well enough, so the pie is in the oven to bake for a while.

I enjoy being here and the abrasive characters are something one has to live with. Then on the other hand- how long can one sit around and say there is a God. The only God/way we know of is people. The ultimate authority on planet earth will be the masses not a few to run things.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:What is

FurryCatHerder wrote:

That's it.  I'm sending you a Baconator.

We should start a fake religion with a pig as the diety.  We can have holy communion by eating BACON!!!!

"This is my body..."  eats bacon

"This is my blood..." does a shot of bacon gravy

I'm liking this religion already.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:There

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I thought you preferred partners of the female variety.  I'm sorry if I had the wrong impression.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:mac

Old Seer wrote:

mac wrote:

kick anyone in the slates.

How long can one go on pointing out that there's no God. Eventually one gets to the end of it. I think most come, look around, and will be back some other time. It's automatic for interest to wain over time. Alpha Smurf recommends I move on and check back periodically. They looked over my posts and think things are covered well enough, so the pie is in the oven to bake for a while.

I enjoy being here and the abrasive characters are something one has to live with. Then on the other hand- how long can one sit around and say there is a God. The only God/way we know of is people. The ultimate authority on planet earth will be the masses not a few to run things.

Maybe the Rapture got 'em!!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

LMAO!! Even most Christians don't believe in that rapture nonsense!

Actually it would be good if it happened and got rid of the world's ChristNUTS!!

If the rapture did happen, maybe I can go to these preacher's fancy homes and move in there ( along with taking their fancy automobiles). I'll have a new place to live and a car ! Bring the rapture on !

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Im still here

Im still here Laughing out loud

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote: Im still

Adventfred wrote:

Are you a new or infrequent poster? Don't think I've seen you before.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi......

Adventfred wrote:

..................  Mr.Frederick   where  hast thou been?      Nice name btw.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?