Why Creationism Is So Strong In The U.S.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why Creationism Is So Strong In The U.S.

Genie Scott gives an excellent explanation of why creationism is so strong in the U.S. and how it has spread around the world.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting that ex-minister. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Why is Crapinism so

Why is Crapinism so widespread? For the same reason humans once believed that the sun was a god.

If the primary focus of evolution were about fact finding, we would have gotten to the moon long ago. But unfortunately reality is not about utopias and as long as our species exists, it will manufacture stupid sugar pills. Fucking doesn't require facts, just a dick and a pussy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why is

Brian37 wrote:

Why is Crapinism so widespread? For the same reason humans once believed that the sun was a god.

If the primary focus of evolution were about fact finding, we would have gotten to the moon long ago. But unfortunately reality is not about utopias and as long as our species exists, it will manufacture stupid sugar pills. Fucking doesn't require facts, just a dick and a pussy.

Yeah...We would have gotten to the moon long ago....Wait...Wait?

Smiling

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

The god meme is very strong, I do agree. 

For a long time it was comforting to think that something was guiding my life, until I thought about the fact that I really did not like the idea of something "guiding" my life. I didn't like the idea of something that policed my thoughts, worried about me having sex outside of marriage, was going to burn me forever because I had questions, but loves me. 

But, leaving comforting memes aside. A fact is a fact. 

It's comforting to think that I am the center of the universe and if some lucky coincidence happens that it must be by some sort of divine hand. But at some point in my life I just had to GET REAL. 

There are 7 billion people on Earth and something is singling me out to watch over me all of the time ? There is a whole universe out there, but something is watching me and keeping a scorecard ? 

Illusions may provide temporary comfort, but when they become DELUSIONS, they are dangerous. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:Numbers 31:17-18 - Now

Quote:

Love that sig bud, you just inspired another poem in me. Look at my poetry thread in anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. It will be quoting your sig.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:Numbers

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Love that sig bud, you just inspired another poem in me. Look at my poetry thread in anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. It will be quoting your sig.

Will do. You can tell it was a "dick" that wrote that.

Religion Kills !!!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

If I were to speculate on the creationist issue in the US I would look into the fact that Darwin was English and a John Bull a still disliked species in the US dating back to 1776.

In this respect one can imagine had Darwin been from Virginia Americans would have created an entire theology of natural selection.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The most simple reason is

The most simple reason is widespread teaching of the opposite of critical thinking, combined with lack of fundamental science education.

Why does this sound just like nearly every creationist claim ever made?

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
TonyZXT wrote: The most

TonyZXT wrote:

The most simple reason is widespread teaching of the opposite of critical thinking, combined with lack of fundamental science education.

Why does this sound just like nearly every creationist claim ever made?

um...is that satire?  please?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:um...is that

iwbiek wrote:

um...is that satire?  please?

Lol.  Not that I know of.  

I believe it though, because I've had discussions with people I used to work with, where they had almost the same exact type of reasoning.  See something unexplained - make a (false) connection - seek supporting "evidence" (confirmation bias) - find anything regardless of facts - conclude connection correct.  

It's like I told a creationist the other day:  Fundamentalists of all religions have 1 thing in common:  The bar they set for evidence or proof for any of their beliefs couldn't possibly be any lower.  Anything that sounds right to them clears that bar.  If they know anything at all about the scientific method, they have to admit that science's bar is much, much higher.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

I missed reading your posts while I was away. Smiling

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Thanks, that does mean alot to me right now. I am surrounded by theists in real life, have a boss that rewards hard work by reducing my hours. So it is always nice to know that someone does appreciate what I have to say.

Always happy to be a thorn in the side of absurd claims.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Thanks, that does mean alot to me right now. I am surrounded by theists in real life, have a boss that rewards hard work by reducing my hours. So it is always nice to know that someone does appreciate what I have to say.

Always happy to be a thorn in the side of absurd claims.

I had to take a break away from every thing. I took off four almost five months (or just over) and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have found when I am getting burned out or frustrated with stuff, it is best to step back and take a review of your stock.

What I saw was what you might already remember from my previous posts. It is pointless to attempt debating subjects based on faith.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
We all appreciate you Brian.

We all appreciate you Brian. Even Beyond has to. He wouldn't get to say half as much as he does if you weren't around. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.