Boxer Pacquiao vs Obama with Bible

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boxer Pacquiao vs Obama with Bible

http://www.christianpost.com/news/manny-pacquiao-uses-bible-to-rebuke-obamas-support-for-gay-marriage-74852/

Manny Pacquiao Uses Bible to Rebuke Obama's Support for Gay Marriage

by Christine Thomasos/ Christian Post Reporter

Manny Pacquiao, Christian Filipino boxer and congressman, has reportedly disagreed with President Barack Obama's support of redefining marriage to include same-sex couples, and has insisted people should always put God's word first.

After Obama vocalized that he was in support of gay marriage earlier this week, Pacquiao was adamant that the president had got it wrong. In an interview with the National Conservative Examiner while training in Los Angeles, Calif., Pacquiao spoke about the need for society to put "God's words first."

The boxer quoted Leviticus 20:13 when referring to the president's decision to advocate for same-sex marriage.

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable," Pacquiao told the Examiner. "They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

However, Obama has attempted to explain his reasoning for supporting a redefinition of marriage, using the Golden Rule of loving your neighbor as justification for ignoring other verses condemning homosexuality in the Bible.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you," the president said in an ABC News report. "At a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

While the 33-year-old boxer said he respected Obama, he told the Examiner that the president should read the bible or "manual of life" to better society.

"God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married, only if they so are in love with each other," Pacquiao said. "It should not be of the same sex so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah of Old."

Pacquiao, nicknamed "Pacman," is a Roman Catholic who has talked recently about ending his fighting career to focus on his religious beliefs. The boxer told ABS-CBN News that his fight against Timothy Bradley Jr. at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on June 9 might be the last of his career.

( I wonder if Manny thinks the verses about marrying a woman, who is not a virgin, is a death sentence as well ?  Not to mention stoning people for working on the sabbath day nor killing people for eating shellfish)

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

Pacquiao is a moron.  It's too bad he doesn't think as well as he boxes!  "The boxer quoted Leviticus 20:13 when referring to the president's decision to advocate for same-sex marriage.  'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable," Pacquiao told the Examiner. "They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.'" 

How does he get away with this!  People need to criticize the call to have people killed for their sexual drives.  Pacquiao has a comfortable majority to keep him safe when he calls for the death of homosexuals.  It's none of his business if people are of a different sexual orientation; they're not even hurting anybody.  Equal marriage rights for all should be allowed, or nobody gets them.  Would Pacquiao be for illegalizing gay sex?  Probably, deep down.  He wouldn't admit it in public.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:Pacquiao

Philosophicus wrote:

Pacquiao is a moron.  It's too bad he doesn't think as well as he boxes!  "The boxer quoted Leviticus 20:13 when referring to the president's decision to advocate for same-sex marriage.  'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable," Pacquiao told the Examiner. "They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.'" 

How does he get away with this!  People need to criticize the call to have people killed for their sexual drives.  Pacquiao has a comfortable majority to keep him safe when he calls for the death of homosexuals.  It's none of his business if people are of a different sexual orientation; they're not even hurting anybody.  Equal marriage rights for all should be allowed, or nobody gets them.  Would Pacquiao be for illegalizing gay sex?  Probably, deep down.  He wouldn't admit it in public.

Strange how allot of these fanatics are always calling for the death of  people who are different in views and lifestyles than theirs; yet they claim to follow the 10 Commandments.  What happened to "Thou Shalt Not Kill ?"

Of course, that is an odd commandment,considering both the Old and New Testament are replete with people being "righteously smote" in the name of god. 

I think it would be hilarious if an openly gay boxer challenged Pacquiao to a match and won.  Pacquiao would have to ponder why "god" did not help him win. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: What

harleysportster wrote:
What happened to "Thou Shalt Not Kill ?"

well, both jewish and christian exegetes are pretty much unanimous in interpreting "kill" there as "murder," i.e., kill illegally.  the hebrew word might even be different there, but i can't remember.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
imo, both barack and

imo, both barack and manny--and every other politician, for that matter--need to put the bible down, because they're both cherry-picking.  neither obama's feel-good god nor manny's god-hates-fags-but-the-other-stuff-is-not-so-bad god is biblical.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:imo, both

iwbiek wrote:

imo, both barack and manny--and every other politician, for that matter--need to put the bible down, because they're both cherry-picking.  neither obama's feel-good god nor manny's god-hates-fags-but-the-other-stuff-is-not-so-bad god is biblical.

I totally agree with you there. 

All of these "bible quoting" politicians, whether they are on the bleeding heart liberal side or the ultra-right wing conservative types, get on my nerves. 

― Giordano Bruno

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Obama is just pandering to

Obama is just pandering to the christian majority.   I strongly suspect he's really an atheist.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there were any justice,

If there were any justice, any polititian who pulled out any religious text and demanded that a nation follows it would immediately be fired and disbarred from holding any public office for the rest of their lives.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Obama is just

Watcher wrote:

Obama is just pandering to the christian majority.   I strongly suspect he's really an atheist.

With the need for Christian voters that might consider themselves in the moderate camp, I agree with you. Being an Atheist in the U.S. is almost a crime. We are a far cry from entering into the total mainstream. While the number of skeptics, non-religious, and non-believers are continually growing, and while church attendance is steadily declining, mainstream America still seems to be frightened of the word "Atheist" . 

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If there were

Vastet wrote:
If there were any justice, any polititian who pulled out any religious text and demanded that a nation follows it would immediately be fired and disbarred from holding any public office for the rest of their lives.

I totally agree.

― Giordano Bruno

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:With

harleysportster wrote:

With the need for Christian voters that might consider themselves in the moderate camp, I agree with you. Being an Atheist in the U.S. is almost a crime. We are a far cry from entering into the total mainstream. While the number of skeptics, non-religious, and non-believers are continually growing, and while church attendance is steadily declining, mainstream America still seems to be frightened of the word "Atheist" . 

That's the weird thing though.  I live in a conservative town in a conservative state in the middle of the bible belt.  But I find atheists everywhere.  I mean freaking everywhere.

There has to be a hell of a lot more of us than all those polls are hinting at.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:That's the

Watcher wrote:

That's the weird thing though.  I live in a conservative town in a conservative state in the middle of the bible belt.  But I find atheists everywhere.  I mean freaking everywhere.

i think you're absolutely right, and i think because, unlike christians, atheists have no official "church," and are still in general poorly organized, they are made to feel isolated, and thus are more likely to allow themselves to be bullied into silence.  that's why communities like this are great, because they let those atheists know they're not alone.  not by a long shot.

this reminds me of one of my mom's stupid religious emails i got many years ago (i know others here have gotten it) where it cites the statistics for atheists v. christians in the US, and how much smaller of a percentage the atheists are.  then it goes into typical atheist conspiracy bullshit--we're causing the downfall of civilization by taking prayer out of schools, etc.--and ends with religious majority bravado about how it's time for christians to take back their country, and that our tiny minority should sit down and SHUT UP (yes, the caps are in the original).

if those statistics actually reflected reality as i suspect it is, i wonder how much longer that bravado would last.  and once all these old church-going farts finally die off, i'd really like to see who sits down and shuts up in another generation or two.

--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Watcher

iwbiek wrote:

Watcher wrote:

i think you're absolutely right, and i think because, unlike christians, atheists have no official "church," and are still in general poorly organized, they are made to feel isolated, and thus are more likely to allow themselves to be bullied into silence.  that's why communities like this are great, because they let those atheists know they're not alone.  not by a long shot.

this reminds me of one of my mom's stupid religious emails i got many years ago (i know others here have gotten it) where it cites the statistics for atheists v. christians in the US, and how much smaller of a percentage the atheists are.  then it goes into typical atheist conspiracy bullshit--we're causing the downfall of civilization by taking prayer out of schools, etc.--and ends with religious majority bravado about how it's time for christians to take back their country, and that our tiny minority should sit down and SHUT UP (yes, the caps are in the original).

if those statistics actually reflected reality as i suspect it is, i wonder how much longer that bravado would last.  and once all these old church-going farts finally die off, i'd really like to see who sits down and shuts up in another generation or two.

I agree with you both. I find it humorous that christians are forever whining about how persecuted they are by us tiny minority of atheists. Yet, whenever some law passes that they approve of , they are the first ones to start cheerleading "majority rules" nonsense.  Talk about doublespeak. All of my family are still fanatically religious. And they always are forever talking about us " evil, secularist, immoral, fascist/communists, abortion-loving, gay-loving atheists that want to destroy the country". 

It's just regurgitation of what they hear in church. 

Most of them do not have a clue, what secular means. They have not the faintest idea that there is not an Atheist Creed, An Atheist Code, nor a set of Atheist principles. You can be an Atheist and a liberal, an Atheist an a conservative, an Atheist and a Libertarian, an Atheist that follows science, an Atheist that does not follow science, an Atheist and a Communist, and an Atheist and a Nazi. 

Atheists do not gather in circles, hold hands and say "We don't believe in god. We don't believe in god, We believe in evolution,". 

I think there are more Atheists around than those polls suggest.

Truth of the matter is, for an individual to shake of the powerful grip of the god meme, which is so ingrained in humans,  probably tends to make more Atheists individual thinker types that do not tend to follow dogmas blindly. So many non-believers that are not ready to come out of the closet may simply define themselves as "non-religious" or even identify themselves as the religion that they were brought up in. 

I can't tell you how many people that I have met, that will say "Well I was raised in --(insert religion) church, but I have not been in many years. 

― Giordano Bruno