My New Friend - An Atheist

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
My New Friend - An Atheist

Hello,

I have an atheist who is now my friend. He hangs out with me on the weekends and asks me questions.

This morning he went to church with me. Some Electricial Engineer guy talked to him in the back the whole time. The atheist said it was typical, not like how I talk with him.

Then tonight, I took my new friend to a Bible study from 6 to 10pm.

We're actually friends. A guy like all of you though in the flesh. Cool huh?

He's gonna be saved eventually if he keeps this up.

My point is, for all those who hate my guts or love my guts, if we had met in person, we would have most likely of been friends l This goes for Mickey, and Brian and Tuna Tony over there.

So basically, my point of this thread is, can't we all just get along?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Jeano

Jean Chauvin wrote:

in case you missed it, we all do get along.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Extreme

Extreme,

Really? With me too? I'm glad to know we're friend.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea, I want to be friends

Yea, I want to be friends with an asshole who thinks his god held Japan hostage by allowing 13,000 people to die in a Tsunami as a warning to America. Sorry, no thanks.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great is the plight of the Self-Important . . . .

For the luv of duck,  Jean.  THIS IS NOT A CREATIVE WRITING COURSE

**  Please , DoubleClick source URL if you cannot read it

You have all kinds of friends (See::Pic).

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this new friend of

Does this new friend of yours live in your basement... locked in a cage?

Respectfully,

Beyond Saving

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Does

Beyond Saving wrote:

Respectfully,

Beyond Saving

Yea, and he makes his caged atheist friend watch him inflate his girlfriend to 35psi and says "You to can have a girlfriend like me if you just become an asshole like me and threaten others with your god, like me".

But trolls live under bridges, so him living in a basement is too far fetched.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't make friends with

I don't make friends with delusional nutters.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

I also told this atheist about Brian's emotional tantrums over Japan. He agreed with me that indeed you are an emotional panzy and instead of using your mind for rational discussion, your use your throat for shattering crying.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wagers

Gather round everyone! Who here wants to start placing wagers on whether Jean here just created a new imaginary friend (an atheist friend) just to troll us?

God is going to be pissed Jean for created a new imaginary friend - remember what he said: "no more imaginary friends before me!"

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Hello,

I have an atheist who is now my friend. He hangs out with me on the weekends and asks me questions.

You are lying.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

He has only said he has heard his new friend. He has not said he has seen him. The difference is important to the diagnosis.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad you made a friend,

I'm glad you made a friend, Jean. You should probably get out more. Lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Butter

Butter,

It's been a while. I kind of missed you.

He's a baby atheist. He said he's a follower of Richard Dawkins and he indicated whatever Dawkins believes so he too believes. At first he was a weak atheist, then he changed his mind and is now a strong atheist, and then yesterday went back to being a weak atheist. lol.

Sounds like all of your. Followers of whatever dawkin says like blind sheep being led to the slaughter.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I think Dawkins'

I love you too.

Actually, I think Dawkins' knowledge of philosophy kind of sucks. He was only good when he was discussing biology. But, you can believe I worship Dawkins if that makes you feel better.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've got an idea

If you have met an Atheist that you would call a friend, and seems open to discussion. Why not invite him to sign up to this board and participate in the discussions ? 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Butter,

It's been a while. I kind of missed you.

He's a baby atheist. He said he's a follower of Richard Dawkins and he indicated whatever Dawkins believes so he too believes. At first he was a weak atheist, then he changed his mind and is now a strong atheist, and then yesterday went back to being a weak atheist. lol.

Sounds like all of your. Followers of whatever dawkin says like blind sheep being led to the slaughter.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

9th commandment jean - not an option

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:I also

Jean Chauvin wrote:

I also told this atheist about Brian's emotional tantrums over Japan. He agreed with me that indeed you are an emotional panzy and instead of using your mind for rational discussion, your use your throat for shattering crying.

Wow, so being upset at the idea of using people's lives as collateral makes you an "emotional panzy"?  Are you capable of empathy Jean?

As for rational discussion, if your god actually did what you said he did, then he's evil, and it would be immoral to worship him.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915 wrote:Jean

blacklight915 wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Wow, so being upset at the idea of using people's lives as collateral makes you an "emotional panzy"?  Are you capable of empathy Jean?

As for rational discussion, if your god actually did what you said he did, then he's evil, and it would be immoral to worship him.

Jean means that this "atheist" agreed with him, not me. I think this "person" is simply a manufactured pawn in is delusion to play super hero to impress us. Personally my take on Jean is that he is a couple sermons away from Kool Aid in South America.

Jean wrote:
I also told this atheist about Brian's emotional tantrums over Japan

Yea because god had every right to do with 13,000 people he wants without their consent.

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Jean Jean

That's what I love about you Jean.  I just never know what lunacy is gonna pop up under that name that I always lean toward the screen with great anticipation.

I don't give a rat's ass what the others think of me Jean.  I really do miss you when your gone. If I hated you I would simply ignore you. I wasn't being sarcastic when I told you before how much I enjoy your incessant, merciless drivel.

You've opened a whole new field of creative writing and philosophy.

Well, I think your new friend sounds just lovely, and you speak of him with such enthusiasm. But you really should give your little friend a better name then "the atheist".  How's about J.J.  Jean Junior.

Have you taught him you naughty game? You know -the circle jerk with the communion cracker in the middle. Barf!

Not everyone has the soft spot for you like I do Jean.  I really don't know why they call you a liar, hypocrite, know-it-all, and all those other nasty words.

But, something tells me you didn't get along with all the kids on the playground either.  

Good thing you didn't grow up in my neighborhood.  You and Matt Hale probably woulda got along great.

Hey, by the way, you keep ignoring me when I ask about your volcano adventure. Isn't that where you disappeared to?  I really do wanna hear about it. It's gotten a little boring around here lately.  "Jean vs. the Volcano"  Smiling

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, jean, that's really

wow, jean, that's really fucking impressive.  you talked to a human being.  congratu-fucking-lations.

oh, and i've never read a dawkins book in my life.  nor hitchens, nor dennett, nor any other member of the "new atheist" movement.  pop books irritate me, no matter what point of view they espouse.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:wow, jean,

iwbiek wrote:

wow, jean, that's really fucking impressive.  you talked to a human being.  congratu-fucking-lations.

oh, and i've never read a dawkins book in my life.  nor hitchens, nor dennett, nor any other member of the "new atheist" movement.  pop books irritate me, no matter what point of view they espouse.

I've read some of Dawkins stuff, Magic of Reality is pretty nice and good at breaking down complex scientific ideas into smaller more digestible chunks, very helpful if you're trying to teach others. The God Delusion isn't bad either, but I think I prefer Magic of REality

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well Jean

Well Jean, are you going to invite your Atheist "friend" to join this forum or not ?

Since you are a Calvinist, he might be the one that is designated for Heaven and you might be the one designated for Hell.

That's the beautiful thing about Calvinism, you can do whatever you want, to whomever you want. After all, your destiny in the afterlife is already pre-determined.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, i suppose i have read

well, i suppose i have read one "pop" book that i enjoyed, and that was hawkings' brief history of time.  but really that's only a pop book for those who take a slight layman's interest in quantum and/or astrophysics, and they're hardly as numerous as those interested in religion and/or atheism.  of course i know dawkins has written things in the field of biology that are anything but pop.

to draw an analogy, i take a serious interest in the history of indian religions and philosophical systems.  hence, i would never bother with anything by dipshit chopra or even the dalai lama (my favorite fascist turned self-help schill!).  those things i lack sufficient interest in to consult respected scholarship, i usually just take a minute to browse wikipedia or google and that satifies my curiosity. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:

I'm with you. Though I am glad they're out there, because we're a minority.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: hence, i

iwbiek wrote:

hence, i would never bother with anything by dipshit chopra or even the dalai lama (my favorite fascist turned self-help schill!).  those things i lack sufficient interest in to consult respected scholarship, i usually just take a minute to browse wikipedia or google and that satifies my curiosity. 

Totally agree with you about "dipshit" chopra and the dalai lama. 

― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

harleysportster wrote:

fuckin' dalai lama.  imagine if mussolini was exiled after the first 5 years or so and spent the rest of his life giving lecture tours and writing books on how to win friends and influence people.  oh, and got a bunch of brainless hollywood celebs to co-sign his bullshit.  that's basically the dalai lama.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

hence, i would never bother with anything by dipshit chopra or even the dalai lama (my favorite fascist turned self-help schill!).  those things i lack sufficient interest in to consult respected scholarship, i usually just take a minute to browse wikipedia or google and that satifies my curiosity. 

"Chopra" is the same as "oracle" is the same as "mystic" is the same as "preacher" or "Imam" or "Rabbi". It is merely stumbling on physical and psychological evolutionary reality, pretending a comic book label invented the word "DUH"! Every religion has stated reality by mistake on some motif, just like the Egyptians noted the existence of the sun. The problem they have is that all of them think they have a patient no one has the right to question. It has only those who have questioned, who have agreed with the believers that the sun exists, but don't turn it into a comic book super hero, just like we know beyond labels that robbing your neighbor is wrong.

So even to Sam Harris and Digital, I would say, the current climate of "Buddhist" peace as is only a false proclamation by those who don't have the power to economically defeat the alpha male. Human behavior has never changed in our evolution in the fact that we often forget that once the oppressed become the oppressor.

We have always as a species exhibited the behavior of compassion and cruelty, to think that any label has invented a cure all to conflict is absurd.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I see all these assholes, with these "FREE TIBET" t-shirts and bumper stickers and am always tempted to tell them EXACTLY what sort of world Tibet had, under the Lamas. It might have been paradise for the lamas, but it was a nightmare to the peasants that  lived under their tyranny. 

Dalai Lama sure does love all of his fancy hotel rooms, speaking tour fees, and getting his picture taken with Hollywood morons. But, he wants to write books about how one can find enlightenment through constant giving and never receiving. What bullshit. 

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I doubt the llama and Tibet

I doubt the llama and Tibet are the actual focal points of that issue. It stems from hating communism, and the basic psychology of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I don't think anyone would've ever have heard of him if China was a democratic ally of Western powers.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I doubt the

Vastet wrote:
I doubt the llama and Tibet are the actual focal points of that issue. It stems from hating communism, and the basic psychology of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I don't think anyone would've ever have heard of him if China was a democratic ally of Western powers.

well, maybe, maybe not.  thanks to the nutjobs in the theosophy movement in the late 19th/early 20th centuries--people like helena blavatsky--tibetan buddhism was already an "in" thing among the rich and famous before the world wars.

mao actually courted the dalai lama before d.l. decided to become a separatist and throw his lot in with the west.  i don't blame tenshin.  it was the smart thing to do.  the chinese have always been close enough to know what kind of bullshit exists there, whereas in the west he and his retinue are seen as "mysterious" and "deeply spiritual."  it was a choice between being a guru to the stars or a comfortable--but tightly leashed--vassal to mao.  and mao was not a man who suffered fools or swallowed bullshit.

--Hunter S. Thompson

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Joker wrote:
I've read some of Dawkins stuff, Magic of Reality is pretty nice and good at breaking down complex scientific ideas into smaller more digestible chunks, very helpful if you're trying to teach others. The God Delusion isn't bad either, but I think I prefer Magic of REality

Dawkins' problem is one so many discover to their misfortune when they start an organization. An organization must meet payroll. Once the market is saturated with the primary message income declines. The quality of the product has to decrease to reach a greater market to keep the income flowing.

His organization has specific problems with limiting its targets to Christianity and Islam only which contributed to the demise of a free for all forum exchange like this one when it imploded over the inclusion of Judaism and Israel. A month or so later he declared he was an "ethnic Christian" just like there were ethnic Jews which was rather the heart of the implosion. I know because I was the detonator.

He clearly does not have a scientific outlook outside of his field and his integrity ends where the payroll begins.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:
fuckin' dalai lama.  imagine if mussolini was exiled after the first 5 years or so and spent the rest of his life giving lecture tours and writing books on how to win friends and influence people.  oh, and got a bunch of brainless hollywood celebs to co-sign his bullshit.  that's basically the dalai lama.

And had spent those first five years trying to convince the world to return him to power as the absolute dictator which he did. His was one of the few cases where the West agree Mao was better for the people.

www.ussliberty.org

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:

Celebrity status is a STUPID reason not to read them. You read them because they contain credible arguments. That would be like saying "I like Galileo, but I'm not going to read the facts he wrote about the nature of our solar system because he is a celebrity".

No one here should ever suggest they be worshiped like celebrities or gods. And I certainly did not agree with every single thing Dawkins or Hitchens said. But you should read them. I got alot of ammo against theists out of those books I didn't have before. Plus they are offering humanity an alternative to superstition.

And also by reading them, at a minimum it gave me comfort to know that I was not alone living on an island.

To me that would be like a person studying Quantum Mechanics not reading the history of Einstein. You can be an atheist without studying a damned thing, true, But we do have a history, and it would be a mistake not to read up on our arguments because they are a study in the refutation of theist arguments.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I see all these assholes, with these "FREE TIBET" t-shirts and bumper stickers and am always tempted to tell them EXACTLY what sort of world Tibet had, under the Lamas. It might have been paradise for the lamas, but it was a nightmare to the peasants that  lived under their tyranny. 

Dalai Lama sure does love all of his fancy hotel rooms, speaking tour fees, and getting his picture taken with Hollywood morons. But, he wants to write books about how one can find enlightenment through constant giving and never receiving. What bullshit. 

Thank you.

Human morality HAS NOTHING to do with the labels humans have always made up. Our species has always jockeyed for power. Our modern civility in the west based on pluralism is an evolution in human morality independent of labels. This is why I warn even atheist not to use the argument "we are not violent". In what context? We don't right now, have the capability of taking absolute power over others.

The point being WE are all the same species, and if you forget that we are all the same species, our labels don't matter and we can be violent in the future. NOT because we are atheists, but because evolution has ALWAYS had a range of human action, both peaceful and violent.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tibet practiced slavery

Tibet practiced slavery until China took it over and outlawed the practice.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I love everyone. Don't

I love everyone. Don't hold anything against anybody. Even Brian 

I know we are all passionate about our beliefs. My only beef is with the seemingly irrational behavior that will eventualy colapse civilization if not turned around. I'm talking, in general terms, the nature's balance system clashing with our artificial exponential growth which is unsustainable with no other example in the Universe. I'm talking about wars, whether religious or resource wars. I'm talking about the credit (not the money credit, the fossil fuel credit) bubble that will explode at some point.

I find this unbelievably irrational given the fact that if we were scientifically perfect about every decision with impact in society and given our technological advancement we could live in a world close to a utopic dream. This irrationality dwarfs the other irrationality about believing that an invisible pink unicorn lives in someone's garage.

Other than this I really love everyone. I sure don't worry about saving anyone. We are all saved already, whatever saved means.

I have friends from all colours, religions/atheists, straight, gays, political spectrums...

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Tibet

Watcher wrote:

Tibet practiced slavery until China took it over and outlawed the practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom_in_Tibet_controversy

I think that was rather cultural... more than religious. Past is past, we can't change it. Let's change the future.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Teralek

Teralek wrote:

I think that was rather cultural... more than religious.

Any religion worth following would not tolerate slavery.  Their religion tolerated it, just like Christianity did for centuries.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Teralek

Watcher wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Any religion worth following would not tolerate slavery.  Their religion tolerated it, just like Christianity did for centuries.

The lama would gladly revert Tibet back to it's dark ages if it could. Just like many of the Christians in this country would oppress and support more intolerant laws if they could. Make no mistake, there are a majority of Christians out there that would love to turn this country into a total theocracy like Iran, if they could. 

― Giordano Bruno

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

Slavery is a democratic/atheistic idea. Since soceity has now caught up to Scripture morality, you deny slavery for convenience to look good. If we were in 1776 right now, all the atheists would have slaves by the dozens.

This is one aspect to the pie as to why ALL democrats are going to hell.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Slavery is a democratic/atheistic idea. Since soceity has now caught up to Scripture morality, you deny slavery for convenience to look good. If we were in 1776 right now, all the atheists would have slaves by the dozens.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Your assertion is unbelievably stupid...and judging by the quality of your "arguments" you apparently  don't even take yourself seriously anymore.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Celebrity

Brian37 wrote:
Celebrity status is a STUPID reason not to read them.

On the contrary. There's nothing to be found in those books for me. I already know everything I care to know about the issue. Why should I read a book that just repeats all of my own arguments? It'd be a waste of time and money.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

No Jean, there was no such thing as democracy when the first slave was enslaved. The Roman Empire was tens of millenia away. As was your christian faith.
A faith which supported slavery, no less. Evil christians. Sad

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Hmmm, open up your Bible and re-read the Old and New Testament. Both which mention slavery and Jesus never spoke against it. The  Church ruled all of Europe in the Middle Ages. The term "Christendom" did not end for centuries. Everybody pretty much answered to the Pope. King Henry VIII was the first king to break away from the Pope. That is only because he wanted to divorce his wife Katherine and marry Anne Boleyn. Slavery was an acceptable by both the Christian/ Muslim worlds for centuries. It still goes on in some parts of the world today. 

As far as 1776 is concerned, I am not sure what you are talking about. There were no atheist regimes in those days.

I am equally confused by your closing argument that Democrats are going to hell. (I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, by the way. I am Libertarian). 

The effective way to form an argument is to have a starting point, provide evidence and then have a conclusion. Your paragraph seems to be all over the place. 

― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
On the contrary. There's nothing to be found in those books for me. I already know everything I care to know about the issue. Why should I read a book that just repeats all of my own arguments? It'd be a waste of time and money.

i second vastet.

and yes, it might be a stupid reason, but it's my fucking reason, and given my practical situation, any reason is good enough.  i have such a growing enormity of books queued up for me in my office, i'll be really lucky if i get to them all in my natural lifetime, especially considering i'm not the world's fastest reader and i'm easily distracted.  i frequently end up starting 4 or 5 books at a time, which only lengthens the reading process.  i got to find some criteria to start ruling books out.

and brian, when you're talking to me at least, i would kindly ask you to be sparing with the caps.  for me they're the virtual equivalent of screaming in my ear.  with beer vomit breath.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:and

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
and judging by the quality of your "arguments" you apparently  don't even take yourself seriously anymore.

honestly, i don't think he ever has, despite the fact he considers himself "rare."

so far i haven't heard anything original or even obscure from him, so in my estimation there's nothing "rare"about him.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Watcher wrote:

Teralek wrote:

The lama would gladly revert Tibet back to it's dark ages if it could. Just like many of the Christians in this country would oppress and support more intolerant laws if they could. Make no mistake, there are a majority of Christians out there that would love to turn this country into a total theocracy like Iran, if they could. 

I think the US is a circus in politics and religion and you people are nuts sometimes... but my problem with your comment is the word majority. I want to believe that there is still a lot of sane people in your country. I happen to know personally 3 Americans and they are sane... even when saying that one of them is catholic and the other evangelical

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:  I think

Teralek wrote:

I think the US is a circus in politics and religion and you people are nuts sometimes... but my problem with your comment is the word majority. I want to believe that there is still a lot of sane people in your country. I happen to know personally 3 Americans and they are sane... even when saying that one of them is catholic and the other evangelical

“Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion — and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion… while truth again reverts to a new minority.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

― Giordano Bruno

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote: So

Jean Chauvin wrote:

What fellowship has light with darkness?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Vastet

iwbiek wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

i second vastet.

and yes, it might be a stupid reason, but it's my fucking reason, and given my practical situation, any reason is good enough.  i have such a growing enormity of books queued up for me in my office, i'll be really lucky if i get to them all in my natural lifetime, especially considering i'm not the world's fastest reader and i'm easily distracted.  i frequently end up starting 4 or 5 books at a time, which only lengthens the reading process.  i got to find some criteria to start ruling books out.

and brian, when you're talking to me at least, i would kindly ask you to be sparing with the caps.  for me they're the virtual equivalent of screaming in my ear.  with beer vomit breath.

The caps are not intended for you to interpret them as screaming. More like "what the". You can do what you want, but I think you are selling yourself short by not reading them. And as far as amount of books, all the stuff I have read took 10 years. And I get distracted easily myself.

Take one book at a time. If you only get through a few pages a day, that's fine too. It isn't like you are taking a class or reading it for work.

Hitchens and Dawkins especially gave me lots of insight although they should not be the only authors. I've read 3 books by Harris, 2 books by Victor Stinger. Ayaan's "Infidel". And I read all those one at a time. I've also read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. Along with the Oedipus trilogies.  It is a matter of getting a wide range of world literature not just science. I has made me a more balanced person with a great appreciation for our human condition.

I agree, there is lots out there, but as they say "Don't judge a book by it's cover".