This Struck My Funny Bone

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
This Struck My Funny Bone

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/starbucks-faces-the-wrath-of-mark-knoller_b72233

CBS White House correspondent Mark Knoller tried to pay for his latte with a $50 bill which Starbucks refused. So he tweeted his problem to the highest levels.

Mark Knoller wrote:

Memo to Tim Geithner: money signed by you as Secy of Treasury rejected at Starbucks nearest the WH.

The Federal Reserve Note, 2009 series, states it is "legal tender for all debts public and private." But not at Starbucks.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another douche out of touch

Another douche out of touch with us common people.

He obviously needs to look up "legal tender" on Wiki...

In some jurisdictions legal tender can be refused as payment if no debt exists prior to the time of payment (where the obligation to pay may arise at the same time as the offer of payment). For example vending machines and transport staff do not have to accept the largest denomination of banknote. Shopkeepers can reject large banknotes — this is covered by the legal concept known as invitation to treat. However, restaurants that do not collect payment until after a meal is served would have to accept that legal tender for the debt incurred in purchasing the meal.