Jedism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jedism

What do you guys think of the religion of Jedism? Now obviously for the vast majority of people who use it as there religion it is a joke, a way to poke fun at governments for including religion as criteria on forms and such. I am sure there are people who take it seriously and all that but with core tenents as

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no death, there is the Force.

Really who cares. It is already the best religion out there in that regard.

But what I want to know is what do you guys think about atheists listing them selves as Jedi's? Does this hurt the atheist movement by reducing the number of atheist on statistics and such things. In England and wales it is the 5th biggest religion in the country beating religions such as Judaism and Buddism. Does this hurt atheist political power? Less people check themselves as atheists so the group appears smaller.

Personally I quiet like the idea, it just shows how silly the entire idea of religion is. Something which came from a movie and quiet evidently is not anything more than what it seems must be taken as seriously as christianity if there are enough people claiming to follow it despite most just taking the piss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A problem I have is that it

A problem I have is that it doesn't work without the Force. It's like half a religion. Almost all Jedi rituals and practices revolve around attaining a greater connection and understanding of the Force, so the Jedi can better serve its will. They don't do anything when there's no Force to connect to.

This is why I'll never be able to see it as anything but a joke.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
It started out as a joke,

It started out as a joke, but has turned in to a reality for others. I don't mind it being around as long as they don't start acting like those other religions.... come to think if it.. given enough time and greed... yeah.. they will become like the others.