Poetry by Brian37 (poems by an atheist)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poetry by Brian37 (poems by an atheist)

I post all over the web, but I want a back up in case my computer or one particular website goes down.

I have decided to edit this post because I do not like giving people the wrong impression. I cannot read Shakespeare to save my life. I just remember this one line from act 5 scene 5 and put my own spin on it. I've had to explain this over and over so here I decided to put that in this post so there is no more presuming what I know or don't know. But the plot of MacBeth is the old lesson, you can have everything and nothing at all at the same time. And how did all that cruelty serve you in the end? But I do not like play summeries calling him a Nihisist, because it is possible to not do what he did, and accept life as being finite, and sitll have morals without religion. 

NEW EDIT 9/19/22 I got pissed at myself that I was scared to read MacBeth, so tonight, I forced myself to read it online. Now mind you, I did not understand it line for line, but basically Macbeth was an assdhole who murdered his way to the top, and did not believe the 3 witches prophcies. He murdered Duncan and had Banquo murdered. Banquo's ghost haunts Macbeth. And made the grave mistake of attacking McDuff's family and killing them(If I am reading this correctly) But Lady MacBeth has a guilty conscience and kills herself, upon finding out Macbeth basically says that life is not worth living and he should go down with a fight anyway, but refuses to fight  Macduff face to face and Macduff kills him as the hero. ( I SERIOUSLY read the entire play every line, tonight.  I even know where the famous line "double double, toil and trouble". comes from. The three witches, basically saying "look out Macbeth" your ass is in trouble. 

So basically the moral of the play, don't be a fucking asshole when trying to get to the top, or "the bigger they are the harder they fall". Reminds me of the movie Scarface and all the shitty things Tony did to get to the top and all for not. But Sosa in that case was not a good guy either.

QUOTE WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE MACBETH:"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Here is my spin on that wonderful and profound line:

Out, Out brief candle, By Brian37

To-deities, and to-gods, and to-God

Creeps in this petty tyrant from day to day

Until the extinction of humanity new ones will be invented

And all our yesterday's Gods have been created by fools

The way to tribal death. Out out brief myth

Claims are but a walking shadow, a poor reflection

That struts our narcissism upon the stage

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by the credulous, full of sound and fury

Signifying nothing.

(END)

To all reading this thread, you may spread the link to this thread BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION TO POST INDIVIDUAL POEMS! Brian Sapient the owner of this website is full aware of my real name and my physical address. You will not get away with passing yourself off as me! ALL POEMS IN THIS THREAD ARE SOLE PROPERTY OF THE PERSON(ME) and may not be distributed without MY permission.

CHECK OUT MY NEW POETRY BLOG AT >>  www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Night And Day, By Brian37

Night And Day, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Daytime and nightime

Are not enemies or rivals

They are part of the same flow

Just as calm and violent equally

Just like humans

Both cruel and compassionate

Accept they just do and are not

Insecure or narccisistic

Nor are they cognative

Their parent is earth's spin. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 All The World's A Sexton,

All The World's A Sexton, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

You were at Ford's Theatre

You were Lincoln, and Booth

By your own hand, and you 

Were a traitor to yourself

I do not judge you Anne 

I've seen the dark you have

"Wanting To Die" is why

I live

You fear being the only actor

On stage, and worry about 

Soliqiuies and being one actor

On the stage of life

Anne, you have spoild me

For stage plays, you could be anyone

Medea, Antigone, Helen Of Troy

Casandra, Joan of Ark, Janis Joplin

You humble yourself in shoes

Bigger than the hurricane of Jupiter

Your raspy smoker's voice is abandon

Raw, real, and still relevent 

How you slay the madmen of your day

With the ease of a butcher's butterknife 

Lay in waste  the testosterone around you

They don't know what to do

You talk of corners of stillness

Wishing to be the servant of

Like deadwood too heavy to lift

And what, left to rot on the stage?

You've played your last 

Sunday Matinee and 

Had your cast party

In your garage, inhaling your saliloquy 

"I'll be glad to be done with me"

But I'm not done with you Anne

I wan't to hear Her Kind, Furry 

Jesus Papers,

Why did you make your end? 

(end)

Of course there is no such thing as a "butcher's butterknife" I was simply making the point that she took on the social norms and gender roles of her time and was a force to be reconed with. I just listen to the words of her poetry and the confidence in her voice makes her poetry the knife through the razor thin deli slice of the male ego. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amplified, By Brian37

Amplified, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

This thing, this grey matter

This ablatross, this dead weight

This filing cabinet,

This runner 

Bicycle courier, broken spokes

Flat tire, no pump, all that data

Suffocated by that enforcer

Putting a plastic bag over my creativity

Why damn it! WHY WHY WHY!

Why cant I get it down, these words

Doled out like a blind black jack dealer

With no table, spilling the chips everywhere

And you, cling to me,  inside me

My city hall, office of records

Duplicate, triplicate , lost it

Shredded it, no record of it

I would pull that fire alarm

Just to get your attention

But you just put your feet up

On your desk, taking your time

To come to my office, your office

Our office, just to dump the file

Into the trash can, to spite me

And there isn't a thing I can do

Unless I turn out the lights

Cut off the power

Burn the building down

Drop you off the roof

Hey, you want to go out

For a drink after work

I know this great place

I know the bartender

He'll give you all the free drinks 

You want, and snacks, no problem

Bowls of your favorite pills

Take as many as you like

Don't worry about the tab

It's on the house, tomorrow

You'll get your severence pay

But don't look for references. 

(end)

NO, this is not advocating suicide. It is however a very serious discription of how frustrated I get with myself when my brain does not communicate with me and translate to my keyboard well, and spelling mistakes all the way up to accidentally losing an entire poem. I do get serious anxiety and even depressed because I hate my creativity being so disjointed and ugly and I have to accept these maladies, but it is very hard sometimes. It is like trying to scate across a frozen lake that is thin ice with one skate. And my brain won't do what I tell it to do. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Dotage, By Brian37 (AKA

Dotage, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

You've taken my best friends

My Phillies, my whiskey

But you cannot have my words,

You can take my knees

You can take my ankles

But you cannot have my words

My words, my words, my words

Are the only medicine I have left

You cannot have them dotage

You can take my fingers

You can take my knuckles

You can take my shoulders

You can take my cartilage

Dotage, dotage, dotage

Ravage, ravage ravage, all you wish

But you will never take my words.

(END)

I am not that old, but I most certainly am in that stage where things are starting not to work the way they used to. Plus I did have the misfortune and labor of love at the same time, of taking care of my late mother in her decline. It is a misfortune in that nobody likes to age, and their loved ones don't like seing their parents lose more and more of their independence. But even given that I cannot stop aging, I would love to think I can keep the same young sharp mind my mome always had and never gave up. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Shut Up!, By Brian37 (AKA

Shut Up!, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37)

It's bad enough

I had insomnia 

Shut up

Can you do your

Wire act somewhere else

Shut up

Can you whistle 

At the chicks on another block

Shut up

Can you have your fly by

Somewhere else

Shut up

I've been up all night

Damn it

Shut up

Oh I give up

I'll grab my morning cup

You'll never shut up.

Damned birds!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
September, By Brian37

September, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet On FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

If September were a color

It would be not yet brown

If September were a mood

It would be melancholoy

If September were a sport

It would be football

If September were a food

It would not yet be pumpkin

If September had an end

It would be December. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Regicide, By Brian37 (AKA

Regicide, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Was it worth it?

The trio came to you

Warned you of the cauldron's brew

The toil and trouble

Would follow you

But you were bent to do

A king you would kill

And your lady did help

And you found two scapegoats

You took the throne

But you were not done

Paronia got to you, you were not through

Banquo your best friend

The murderers killed him

You gave them the command

Banquo's ghost haunted you

Twisted your brain

You thought you went insane

Macduff you thought a rival

So you took preemtive strike

Killed his kids and wife

But your lady was dark in plot

She regreted what she had wrought 

Suicide her final thought

Upon such news it occured to you

Too late, the wiches were right

Your rise to the top an evil plight

You faced Macduff, he had had enough

You had seen the light, but much too late

He slay you, and took your head as a prize

Was it worth it?

To step on others

To crush and smother

To win by all costs

Nesssary a loss

You rose but fell

Double double

Dead as a doornail

The lust in you made you fail.

(end)

I got mad at myself for only knowing the one line in Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5 which shows up at the top of every page in this thread. So finally I forced myself to read the entire play from the first line to the last. I did read the plot summary first so I knew what I was getting into. I didn't beat myself over every word I did not know, or every line. But I got through it. And now I even know where that line often said at Holloween, "double double, toil and trouble" line comes from. 

But I do now have a problem with the play in the context it praises God, invokes God, and paints Macbeth as evil, which is besides the point to this atheist. Yes the character was an asshole for murdering everyone to get to the top. But the stigma of "nihilist" is not only attached to Macbeth, but implies he cannot be moral without God. Atheists would not claim that Macbeth is a hero to us for doing what he did. He is no hero regardless of God belief or not. 

As beautiful and masterfully written as that play was/is, the stigma of atheists being falsely accused of finding life meaningless still sticks as a false accusation from theists today.

In the scope of 13.8 billion years, we are meaningless. The planet too. We have only been around in our current form for 200,000 years or so. And in 5 billion years our species will not be around. But to claim we are fatalistic or pessimistic, or that we as atheist advocate lawlessness and cruelty as such the example of Macbeth, is absurd. 

Atheists do not see morality as being handed down to us, but already in us, as part of our evolution. Our behaviors, good or bad, are in us, not Gods. Macbeth as a character makes for good drama, like Scarface, but it is not a real reflection of morality outside entertainment. Atheists can appreciate this play too. We can love a good story too. And we can condemn the behaviors of Macbeth, and value the wise warnings of the 3 witches too.

But, the play also smacks of revenge. Macduff got even with Macbeth by killing him. It could be argued, or at least I would argue, that a better lesson might be that of  "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". But I susspect that is not the moral of the play in as much as it is, "you reap what you sow".

Anyway I wrote this poem as a reward to myself for reading the play. It isn't much maybe, but it means a lot to me, to not be afraid all the time.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Whence Arises Morality? By

Whence Arises Morality? By Brian37 (AKA James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Whence arises the source of morality?

I cannot find one nation on this planet

That does not have within it

Both hospitals and prisons

Traffic lights and laughing

Murders and seething

Babies and needing

Adults and fighting

I suspect our morals are within

And not in ancient myths.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Regicide, By

Brian37 wrote:

Regicide, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Was it worth it?

The trio came to you

Warned you of the cauldron's brew

The toil and trouble

Would follow you

But you were bent to do

A king you would kill

And your lady did help

And you found two scapegoats

You took the throne

But you were not done

Paranoia got to you, you were not through

Banquo your best friend

The murderers killed him

You gave them the command

Banquo's ghost haunted you

Twisted your brain

You thought you went insane

Macduff you thought a rival

So you took preemptive strike

Killed his kids and wife

But your lady was dark in plot

She regreted what she had wrought 

Suicide her final thought

Upon such news it occured to you

Too late, the witches were right

Your rise to the top an evil plight

You faced Macduff, he had had enough

You had seen the light, but much too late

He slay you, and took your head as a prize

Was it worth it?

To step on others

To crush and smother

To win by all costs

Nesssary a loss

You rose but fell

Double double

Dead as a door nail

The lust in you made you fail.

(end)

I got mad at myself for only knowing the one line in Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5 which shows up at the top of every page in this thread. So finally I forced myself to read the entire play from the first line to the last. I did read the plot summary first so I knew what I was getting into. I didn't beat myself over every word I did not know, or every line. But I got through it. And now I even know where that line often said at Holloween, "double double, toil and trouble" line comes from. 

But I do now have a problem with the play in the context it praises God, invokes God, and paints Macbeth as evil, which is besides the point to this atheist. Yes the character was an asshole for murdering everyone to get to the top. But the stigma of "nihilist" is not only attached to Macbeth, but implies he cannot be moral without God. Atheists would not claim that Macbeth is a hero to us for doing what he did. He is no hero regardless of God belief or not. 

As beautiful and masterfully written as that play was/is, the stigma of atheists being falsely accused of finding life meaningless still sticks as a false accusation from theists today.

In the scope of 13.8 billion years, we are meaningless. The planet too. We have only been around in our current form for 200,000 years or so. And in 5 billion years our species will not be around. But to claim we are fatalistic or pessimistic, or that we as atheist advocate lawlessness and cruelty as such the example of Macbeth, is absurd. 

Atheists do not see morality as being handed down to us, but already in us, as part of our evolution. Our behaviors, good or bad, are in us, not Gods. Macbeth as a character makes for good drama, like Scarface, but it is not a real reflection of morality outside entertainment. Atheists can appreciate this play too. We can love a good story too. And we can condemn the behaviors of Macbeth, and value the wise warnings of the 3 witches too.

But, the play also smacks of revenge. Macduff got even with Macbeth by killing him. It could be argued, or at least I would argue, that a better lesson might be that of  "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". But I susspect that is not the moral of the play in as much as it is, "you reap what you sow".

Anyway I wrote this poem as a reward to myself for reading the play. It isn't much maybe, but it means a lot to me, to not be afraid all the time.  

Hopefully I got all the spelling mistakes this time. I really fucking hate my short attention span. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If It Were Mine, By

If It Were Mine, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet On FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Selfish Contexts

Have been uttered

To be on top

Their only goal

Blind be others

In that of context

World peace

Proclaim as such

How, how does

This math work?

"If only I could"

All would be well?

Would the seasons

Suddenly be

The fancy of those

Who are fond of them?

All the same

With no change

No hot, no cold

No snow, no palm fronds?

If it were mine

It could not be

Ever the whims

Of absolute power

It could only be

The mindset

That it is ours

And change is the norm.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The Ghost Of

Brian37 wrote:

The Ghost Of Robert E Lee, By Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Come over here Trump

You fascist Chump

Sit down, shut up,

And listen to me

I started a war

To keep them in chains

I was defeated 

And let me explain

I unconditionally surrendered

I was the looser 

I didn't want any honor

For anything

I screwd up

I did bad things

Innocent people

I contained 

But unlike you

Who is an ignorant fool

When the battle is over

You don't control

I do not deserve 

Monuments

I do not deserve

High schools named after me

Paper lion

Dictator wannabe

Your library obnoxious 

Sets none free

Look at the history

That followed me

The fools wanted a participation trophy

For a war I lost

And at what cost?

620k decayed

And all over what?

Slavery 

I was a traitor

A seditionist

And the same 

Could be said of thee

But you are far worse

In the history of thus

The office of

The Presidency

Blinded by lust

You traitorous Trump

For failing to learn

The lessons of history.

(end)

Quoted to correct, original post 1164 in this thread. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Testing TransferWill

This was a test, it did not pass, just ignore this post. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Something That I Lost, By

Something That I Lost, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

That I can't find, it is around here

It mysteriously floats away, defying me

Out of my reach, my mind it has breached

The level's I've reached, below, below, below

I' don't know, where it is, where I went

If it were, if I were, where did it go

No, no, no, it won't leave me alone

It is strong, it is absent, it is defiant 

Something that I lost, at very high cost

It isn't on the DOW or S&P , forgive me

I cannot see, where it went, I'm so spent

I can't breath, I cant shed these shackles

I'm dead weight, going to meet my fate

I've nothing to trade, on the exchange

Into the Abyss, cement shoes insist

My conscience a pest, won't give me a rest

Come here bottle, lets go full throttle 

I can do it slow, I know, I know

A shot glass is harmless, it's so small

What could it do, if anything at all?

I left you long ago, don't you dare

Follow me, you don't care, don't care

One damned bit about me, about me

I left you in the rear view, to be to be

In my history, no more to see, misery 

Masked as laughter, friendship, deadly

My friends kept telling me, telling me

I didn't want to see, what was happening to me

Something that I lost, I could not find

Until I finally did, I was on the brink

About to sink, fade into obscure history

It was me, It was me, I finally found my dignity. 

(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 In Plain Sight, By Brian37

In Plain Sight, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/METTA and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

In the closet, I don't want to hear it

I cover my ears, to silence the screams

He's near it, he's near it, get away from it

It makes the news, every damed day

How about here, behind the parapets 

Of coke, stacked to the ceiling, 

Or run down that isle, it goes on for a mile

It makes the news, every damned day

Maybe my desk, my cubical, my fortress

Isn't that strong, what if I am wrong,

Can he see, can he see, please don't spot me

I got tickets, to my favorite band, should I go

I don't know, where do I go, if that bastard shows

It so easy to shop, and bring one home

How about that tavern, watering hole, this bar I know

I'll be safe there, won't I, where is the exit

If the bastard tries, if I survive, I'm traumatized

It makes the news every damned day.

Nowhere to go, nowhere to go, I'm just a memory

Strong this, strong that, what is the next city

Pity, pity, pity, don't pray for me, it shouldn't be

Making the news every damned day. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Purdah Rises Again, By

Purdah Rises Again, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

What would you say today Silvia

All your work for what

So the likes of others could

Demand the beying of sheep

To become chattel, to win

Elections by selling Christian Nationalism?

What would you say Sylvia

To the likes of Lauren, or Marjorie

I hope your words would be sharp

I know your words would be sharp

And your intellect far superior indeed

They prey off fear and ignorance and greed

And they cannot see the path is dark

They lead, they lead, pernicious mirrors

The sun's sheen, they mean to hide 

The truth is behind that partition

That divider, the accessories of fascism

Wrapped in a flag, falsely playing victim

And in Iran, a woman died, and why

Because of that bridedgroom sly abide

Her hijab cost her a beating, self defeating

It's secret envy by many here

If they could have the same authoritarian 

Power, they'd maneuver to devour 

Any semblence of pluralsim or your power

I see your words as relevant today, 

The rise of Purdah is on it's way. 

(end)

A converstational questioning poem to Sylvia Plath if she were alive today to see what our right wing is doing to America and women's rights. Based on her poem "Purdah". 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Be Insubordinate, By Brian37

Be Insubordinate, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

If you are influenced by one

You are in a cult

If your library is one book

You are in a cult

Cliffs abound in these ripe

Conditions and

It is the feast of lemmings

Yet to know they are desceased 

You make it complete. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tenebrific by Brian37

Tenebrific by Brian37(AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Tenebrific

Were such hours

Beyond my comprehension

Although I knew it was coming

After she took her last breath 

At the nursing home

Months went by with no smile

How could I say goodbye

To my mom?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Neuron's File, By Brian37

My Neuron's File, By Brian37(AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

It is of maypoles

The poets dance around

Ribbons of images abound

Some bright sunflowers

Some of dungeon's hours

The balcony romance

Of a Shakespeare play

Your first breakup is on the way

Twilight lost, the reaper comes

You can't stop, you're never done. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Automaton, By Brian37

Automaton, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter).

The thought of eternity 

As discribed by antiquity

Frightens me so.

My choice is to go upstairs 

And become an automaton

Robotic glee my only speed.

I am not me, just a minion.

Or go downstairs, to be tortured

Of such to make Hitler blush.

I want neither. Finite, one life

Is fine with me. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Size Matters

Size Matters, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Earth looks at Jupiter

And says "Damn".

Jupiter loos at the sun

And says, "Double damn".

The sun looks at a red giant

And says, "Triple damn"

The red giant looks at 

A super massive black hole

And says, "Why do I bother?"

The super massive black hole says

"Bitch please.".

The Universe responds

"Look who's talking pipsqueak".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Do You Have A Grape For

Do You Have A Grape For Me? By Brian37 (AKA  Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Do you have 

A grape for me?

Though I hang upsidedown

In a tree?

In a cave

I don't need to see

Do you

Have a grape for me?

I want to be

I want to be

Liked by everybody

Do you have a grape for me?

Why is everyone 

Scared of me?

I can be very friendly

You make images of me

Signals in the moon rarely 

My associate rides a broom

The Irwins did rescue me

They never, never, fear me

Always have that special treat

Do you, have, a grape, for me? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gimcrack, By Brian37 (AKA

Gimcrack, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

So pristine, this pyrite

Deceptively enticing 

Aesthetically pleasing

Everyone is leaving

A new coat over

Over that dry rot

Over the termites

Over the faded wallpaper

This diamond is not

What you thought

What you bought

What you sought 

It is the rust

The rain

The pain

You want to hide

Smiles behind

No one can see

Inside thee

Leave me be

I am as happy

As can be

Can't you see?

Can't you see?

Insubstantial

Rickety, consequently 

Discarded, forgotten

Look at me, look at me

The claw trap

Has ensnared me

I cannot leave

Cannot leave

I bleed, I bleed

It cuts me, cuts me

The belt sander

Has exposed me

Sawdust and mold

You've uncovered 

I cannot be repaired

Paint fumes fill the air

Beware, beware

I am never there

I am the house

My own ghost

With no substance

To scare, to scare

To breath, I fear

To stay or go

I do not dare

The shutters dangle

On rusty hinges

The doors creak

The roof leaks

What of me, of me?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This Outsider, (AKA Brian

This Outsider, (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

He's always on "your" side
Isn't he? Most certainly, definitely
Forget the adversary, who says the same

How confident you are, willing to kill
Unwilling to see, your adversary will
Kill you too, through and through

The ravings of antiquity, in tribal states
Dvine right of kings, get you to follow their fate
And they hand their hate, down to you

Mesopotamia has these three
Knives cut throats so easily
Books justify their actions properly

That dove scurries and hides
From all of you, seeking the submission
Of others who, don't follow you

The caldron of confidence is obvious to
This outsider, who wants nothing to do
With your petty gods, who cannot do

Without enraging you, and you kill
Hoping it will, finally get you, everything
You hoped for, your honor is due

But it never does, does it? Endless wars
In his name, the battle of insecurities
This deity blames, it all on you

He is the parent with 3 kids who
Sticks swords in their hands, and
Demands you stab,  put them on a slab

And the last one standing, gets to
Hang out with you, somewhere above
What a reward this is, is it not?

You win the grand prize, all others are lost
Thrown in the pyre, at his pleasure
You did his bidding, and you feel better

So take your knife, take your gun
Start your holy war, have some fun
But me, this outsider, I am done. 
 (END)

Be sure to check out my new poetry blog www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog  

Any sharing of  my new blog link on your social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, and elsewhere will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

This poem is the newest entry there too, but there are other entries to read as well. I am adding new poems there every day, sometimes multiple times a day. Feel free to comment on them at the blog at the bottom of each poem and like it too. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anne Cooks

Anne Cooks, By Brian37(AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @brianrrs37 on twitter)

Anne saw that the poets were hungry
And said Oh pen
Write down a short order poem
She didn't need Abracadabra
She took the pen
Made it her baby
In her writing hand and said Oh pen
And the pen wrote
Write with your mind's eye
Opening Pandora's Box
And she said
Prose men, prose men
I make it look easy
And lo, there were many poems
Next Anne held up a soliloquy
And said, Oh pen
And her admirers mimicked her
Like an asembly line printing press
The Pide Piper of poets
And lo, there were many

Anne passed out her books to the people
Wearing no hat
And they kissed her prose and poems
And they learned from the very well versed.
(end)

This poem is a nod to the Anne Sexton poem "Jesus Cooks" a blaspehmous poem about the feeding the multitude story. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trapped

Trapped, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter/twitter)

Sometimes
One is caught
Inbetween
The front door
And porch screen
Fluttering and flailing 
Wanting to fly
Crawling under the covers
Wanting to run and hide
Wanting to end it, wanting to die
I haven't given up
I still try. 

#vss365official #vss365 #poetry #poetrycommunity #poet #Brian37 #brianjamesrationalpoet 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The Echoes Of The Cave, By

The Echoes Of The Cave, By Brian37 (AKA  Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

Soundwaves bouncing around
The canyon chasm sound
My isolation cannot be found

Below the surface, the miner's found
My burried body, in the dusty shaft
Don't light that match

It talks back to me
The conversation with nobody
Clicking my keyboard fervantly

I might as well be, in another
Galaxy. There is no sound, you see
In space, they cannot hear you scream

The stove hood, two tiny lights
Off in the distance, look like 
A close encounter, alien ship

Of a 1950s si fi b movie
And that Orwellian tv
In front of me, keeps track of me

My printer wont cooperate with me
Jamming up, when
Printing my poetry

I shout in this megaphone
I let out a sound, like a negotiator 
Talking down a hostage taker

But I am the hostage taker
And the hostage, in the shaft
That everyone hears, but cannot see

The echoes of the cave
Talk back to me, telling me
To be quiet, nobody cares.
(end)

Also available to read at my poetry blog.  www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Audio read soon to be available on my Twitter page, @brianrrs37  under the handle " RationalPoet" .

Other new poems exclusivy on my blog. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 God's Enemy, By Brian37

God's Enemy, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter) 

God has to kill
The poet, the poet
Is his enemy, they
Create darkness
And light, love
Hate, rage, disaster
The moon beds with
The wolf, the owl
Preys on the mouse
Juliet sits on balcony
All without his help. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 A Sad Bone, By Brian37

A Sad Bone, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter) 

It is a solo flight

Always will be

Even if you are selfish

And take some company

It comes at great heights 

It has schedules for day and night

It has cotton covering it

And saftey caps for kids

It is a solo flight 

Into the fermenting of grain

Rice, wheat, barley, but of fruit too

Plumbs, apple, grapes, even potato

It is the barber

Inviting you to go beyond smooth

Your chin, your cheek, your neck

Your wrists 

It is a solo flight

A billion fireflies illuminating 

Around you, monarch butterflies

Surround you

But this you don't see

The salmon rushing upstream

The whale spouting sea water

Breaching the surface to breath

In the corner of the bedroom

The faint meows, helpless

Vulerable, blind kittens

Wriggle to find her nipples

But you've loaded it

Every single chamber

Where to put it?

Mouth, temple, chest?

Your sister is comming home

She will find the grey confetti 

And strawberry Jam

Chunks of stew

Your homework, the placemat

Overwhelmed with your grief 

You made a grand exit , didn't you?

The solo flight, nobody wanted to see.

Macabre pinata 

There are no treats in you

The tree branch, ceiling fan

Is the friend of your lasso 

It is a solo flight, don't go, don't go. 
(end)

This poem is unfortunately inspired by a very dark but amazing poem about suicide by Anne Sexton's poem "Wanting To Die" where she describes the process of suicide and it's result as a "sad bone", thus the title of my poem, which is very anti suidice "A Sad Bone".

If you are feeling suicidal, talk to a trusted friend or family member or call a hotline, or dial 9-1-1. There are truely people that care. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Misteaks, Yes, I Spilled

Misteaks, Yes, I Spilled That Rite, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

It was suppossed to be "With me"

Instead I submitted  "We me"

Maybe some find that funny

But for me, it makes me extremely angry 

At myself. I want to throw things, anything

Against the wall, my laptop, my coffee mug

I want it to be full of mistakes, I can sweep up

Mop up, and throw away, forever

But no, the keyboard calls me, dares me

Laughs at me, knowing I will make a fool

Of myself. MISTAKES DAMN IT, MISTAKES!

My fingers defy me, my brain hates me!

I want to amputate my head, cut it off

It is beyond useless, it is a sunken ship

That is so broken, not even sea life

Wants to call it home. It can never be a reef

It is truly a landfill, of desire, and desperation

Self loathing, writhing in acceptance, reluctantly 

Clinging, to some reason, not to quit, I can't quit

I am not going to let this malady take me

Mistakes? Yes, I spelled that right, this time

Way after "We me" was up for hours, it towers 

Over me, taunting me, haunting me, killing me

Embarrassment, harrassment, self inflicted. 
(end)

As I said in my poetry blog as well, the title this time was on purpose. But it is a response to writing another poem elsewhere and instead of saying "With me" i went back later and read it and I had submitted "we me" instead. I don't want any fucking advice. I have heard all the shit before, "just do this", "just do that", "slow down" ect ect ect. Sometimes when people vent, they are not looking for you to fix anything, they simply need to vent. 

I beat myself up over this constantly, I don't need anyone's help on that. I just need to scream once and a while to cope with it, that's all. I've lived with this my entire life, it isn't going to go away. I have to acccept that, otherwise I really would kill myself. I get depressed enough over this malady as is. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hullabaloo, By Brian37

Hullabaloo, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James RationalPoet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

When death is due

What of our furry

Our flurry, hullabaloo?

Cancer may take you

Or maybe a mugger

Maybe a virus, six feet under

And what of you

Of you, this activity

Commotion, your hullabaloo?

Nothing at all

You can do

Delay at best, hullabaloo?

Wring your fist

Pound your chest

Kill your enemy, hullabaloo

They think they are

Better than you

Their social norms, labels too

Their skin tones

As white as bones

They founded America

They killed you

They brought you on ships

And forced you

But they're dead now too

All of that power

And nothing to do

Popping the corks

New Years too

All for not, this hullabaloo. 
(end)

Even the oppressor will not live forever. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The Last Page, By Brian37

The Last Page, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter) 

Darkness comes
So does the end
But this isn't to fret
It is simply a chapter
With a last page
The slings of life
That muddies your shoes
Do not have to be a bog
Or quicksand
Darkness only wins
If you let it. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brick Wall, By Brian37

Brick Wall, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrs37 on Twitter)

The words, seeds
Pollenated by observation
Participation, aggravation 

Inspiration, wall, wall, wall
Stall, stall, stall
Ring, ring, voice chat call

Dog barking at dusk
TV graphics, screen saver
Bright colors my eyes accost 

From across
My mind is quickly lost
Racing fast to recover
My thoughts, my thoughts

They run from me
Outpacing me, lapping me
Vanishing vapors of what could be

I step on the pedal
My furious futile efforts
To save the structure

T turn the corner
Almost clutch them
I jump the curb

Slam dead on
Straight into
A brick wall

The poem is D.O.A.
There is no way
It will make it to the E.R. 
(end)

This is an ode poem to Sylvia Plath's poem "Stillborn". I think every poet/writer hates writer's block, or being so distracted they lose a thought or scrap an entire idea or poem because of the distractions and the idea never takes off or gets completed. This is my poem rectognizing her writer's block as dipicted in her poem "Stillborn". 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brick Wall, By Brian37

Brick Wall, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrs37 on Twitter)

The words, seeds
Pollenated by observation
Participation, aggravation 

Inspiration, wall, wall, wall
Stall, stall, stall
Ring, ring, voice chat call

Dog barking at dusk
TV graphics, screen saver
Bright colors my eyes accost 

From across
My mind is quickly lost
Racing fast to recover
My thoughts, my thoughts

They run from me
Outpacing me, lapping me
Vanishing vapors of what could be

I step on the pedal
My furious futile efforts
To save the structure

T turn the corner
Almost clutch them
I jump the curb

Slam dead on
Straight into
A brick wall

The poem is D.O.A.
There is no way
It will make it to the E.R. 
(end)

This is an ode poem to Sylvia Plath's poem "Stillborn". I think every poet/writer hates writer's block, or being so distracted they lose a thought or scrap an entire idea or poem because of the distractions and the idea never takes off or gets completed. This is my poem rectognizing her writer's block as dipicted in her poem "Stillborn". 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Surveillance, By Brian37

Surveillance, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

The idea of
A cosmic surveillance camera
Never sleeping
Watching every moment
In shower, or intwined 
In amorous acts
A being that treats us
Like lab rats
Keeps the ones he likes
And burns all the rest
Is a frightening prospect
But I think John Lennon
Imagined far better. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Amorous Shrugged, By

Amorous Shrugged, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter) 

The stamen, the pollen

Bees no longer buzzing

Just meandering

Lumbering

Twilight sun sagging 

Moon takes over

Clouds covering

Dawn soon wont be repeating

The dance no longer danced

No Zumba, Waltz, no waves that break

The caress of the tides

No longer arise

Passion replaced by rust and flies

Apathy, acceptance only to thrive

The solice I have, that I even tried

But the bees don't buzz in the honey's hive

The credits are rolling

And everyone is leaving

The wrappers and buckets

And soda cups empty

The memory of the bees

Have left me, theatre empty

I am still here, scrolling

In print, but you don't see me. 
(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Dear Kelly, By Brian37

Dear Kelly, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

I know

You were

Just a character

But I needed you

When I was much younger

I was hiding under

Anything I could

On the playground

Hoping you would

Rescue me

Like you did

The boy

At the amusement

Park, or save me

From my abusive

Dad, Kelly

Kelly, Kelly

Help me, help me

Kelly, you were

The hero I needed

The Angel I'd believe in

Kelly

I watched you

On Tv

Back in the 70s

Desperately

Wanting you

To jump through

The Tv screen

And rescue me

Kelly

I could only dream

Wished you'd hear

My screams

Help me, help me

Kelly!

Kelly

I'm an old

Man now

It's ok Kelly

I survived

I'm still alive

Kelly

You'll always be

My hero.
(end)

This is my ode poem to Jacklyn Smith as Kelly Garrett. To this day there are two spacific episodes of Charlie's Angels that still make me cry when I watch them. I was pretty isolated as a kid, didn't have my first real friend until HS. So my main escape was the TV. I even at one point had the pink van and board game. I really wanted Kelly to rescue me as a kid. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Red Rivulets, By Brian37

Red Rivulets, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

Blades, knives
Razors slice
Redcoats race
From tear ducts
Stitches must
But they don't
Precipice dangels 
Expressions strangled 
They walk away
The skies become gray
Love has died
And gone awday. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sudden Sparks, By Brian37

Sudden Sparks, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

No parachutes 
To aid their fall
The pilot dead
The pitch and yaw
Out of lift
Nosedive saw
Goose down pillows
Champaign bucket
Rose petal path
Simple math
Bubble bath
Neither of them
Had a chance. 
(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Shredded, By Brian37 (AKA

Shredded, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

Obsidian, sudden
Solidified, absconded 
Taunted, haunted
Unwanted, flash
Flamethrower
Tourched, discarded
Detached, dismembered
Four chambers
Pulse vessels 
Pulverized
She tossed me aside
No longer alive
Dead inside.
(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The Risk, By Brian37 (AKA

The Risk, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

If only
I were impervious
To the pangs
Of desire
If only 
Nothing
Had ever
Set me on fire
If only
I could be
The leafless, lifeless
Winter tree
I would have never
Felt pain.
(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't Tell Me

Don't Tell Me, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @brianrrs37 on Twitter)

I held my words in silence

Afraid of criticism, scorn

And especially ridicule

Then at the bar, that night

I had been scribbiling 

On a napkin, when

The man in the black hat

Asked me what I was doing

I told him I was writing down

Ideas for a poem

He asked me to read it

I refused out of fear

It wouldn't please him

But his coaxing

Was not worth resisting

So I read him

The raw words

I had scribbled down

On the napkin

And just like that

We were kin

He invited me in

To a poetry group

That met once a month

I was petrified at first

When I showed up

How could I stand up

In front of them

I felt like an amateur 

I woudn't get far

This was not the case

My trepidation

Was misplaced

Of me they did embrace

I was relieved and overjoyed

I had finally found a place

Where I could sound my voice

Where I was welcome

Where spoken had no choice

If you showed

You knew you would read

What you wrote in front of you

And everyone wanted you

To read more and more

It was a feast to be adored

But outside that gathering

Incessant blathering

Of blowhards

Who know nothing

Of depth of emotion

Imagery art and poetry

The hater's misery

They'd call me a loser

And tell me constantly

Everything I wrote sucked

Better off in the landfill

My words, they'd try to kill

Even to this day

I have those who try to say

Give it up, you schmuck, you suck

To them I'd look in the eye

Without compunction

I don't give a flying fuck!

What you think

You ignorant twit

I write quite well

Without you nitwit

So don't you tell me

I should quit!

(end)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Epilogue

Epilogue, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB/META and @Brianrrs37 on Twitter)

The pain

Of a lonely

Epilogue

Is the newness

Of raw

The memories

Of what was

The piercing 

Stab wounds

Of rejection

Most certianly

A door 

To be shut

A backdraft

To cause flashover

An aneurysm 

The heart

Must fix

(end)