They went out to eat
And the former Jew
Ate a bacon cheeseburger

Our species was around
Long before our current labels
No silly laws
Stop evolution
(end)

I just read a post on another website about a new politically correct rule going up at Wegmans super market.

HOW THE HELL do you enforce that? I touch all sorts of shit and put it back before I get to the line. Not to mention that our species has always eaten meat.

AND there was a case where a radio station was sued because of the death of a woman who participated in a radio contest "who could drink the most water"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

ANYTHING can kill you, but it doesn't mean it will by itself. IN ANY CASE I call "BULLSHIT" on this and the worst part is she isn't even touching the direct meat, but the package.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well the Americans with

Well the Americans with disabilities act requires that employers attempt to reasonably accommodate disabled employees. Being muslim is a pretty severe mental disability, so it sounds like Wegman's is simply trying to head off the lawsuit. This is what happens when you make it illegal for an employer to discriminate. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I was the employer I

If I was the employer I would accommodate her needs by supplying her with an unlimited supply of disposable latex surgical gloves.  Don't tell me that's against your religion too bitch. 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Well

Beyond Saving wrote:

Well the Americans with disabilities act requires that employers attempt to reasonably accommodate disabled employees. Being muslim is a pretty severe mental disability, so it sounds like Wegman's is simply trying to head off the lawsuit. This is what happens when you make it illegal for an employer to discriminate. 

Yea because separate bathrooms and separate schools were sooo fucking peachy.

Sorry that a black guy is in the white house. And is sucks that he is a secret Mussie too.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Sorry that a black guy is in the white house. And is sucks that he is a secret Mussie too.

Lol, you imply that I'm the racist when you are the one bitching about a company making a voluntary accommodation for an employee? WTF?

As far as I'm concerned, Wegman's can do what they want, apparently they think this employee is worth making the effort for. Or they are afraid of being sued, which would be sad. I hope they are doing it voluntarily and not out of fear of a lawsuit. I was just joking about the lawsuit, I don't think she would have any legal protection if they fired her. So I wish them the best of luck, I hope she turns out to be a profitable employee for them. 

It is precisely these kinds of voluntary private agreements that should happen. If government hadn't imposed Jim Crow laws and enforced public segregation the black population probably would have experienced a much shorter and less violent integration into the paid workforce through voluntary contracts. Agreements through voluntary trade are always substantially superior to government coercion. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Lol, you imply that I'm the racist when you are the one bitching about a company making a voluntary accommodation for an employee? WTF?

As far as I'm concerned, Wegman's can do what they want, apparently they think this employee is worth making the effort for. Or they are afraid of being sued, which would be sad. I hope they are doing it voluntarily and not out of fear of a lawsuit. I was just joking about the lawsuit, I don't think she would have any legal protection if they fired her. So I wish them the best of luck, I hope she turns out to be a profitable employee for them. 

It is precisely these kinds of voluntary private agreements that should happen. If government hadn't imposed Jim Crow laws and enforced public segregation the black population probably would have experienced a much shorter and less violent integration into the paid workforce through voluntary contracts. Agreements through voluntary trade are always substantially superior to government coercion. 

No I do NOT think you are a racist, I simply think you far too often on some issues get stuck in either or all or nothing choices.

In her case outside of law, it bothers me because it is a silly superstition., From a law perspective as long as this does not prevent the store from running efficiently, then yea, they should accommodate her. BUT I also see that possibly becoming a problem.

The general LAW is that you cannot discriminate based on race or religion, WE DO need those laws, Just because she has a stupid superstition does not mean someone should be able to deny her a job, even if they should have the right to fire ANYONE that cannot do their job, FOR WHATEVER REASON.