What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline

I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.

Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image. That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.

If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.

One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.

The only other logical alternative is that God does not have a moral sense and that he too, like Adam and Eve, was basically as dumb as a cow.

Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?

The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.

Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?

Regards

DL

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Greatest

Hello,

Before I explain what it means that we are the image of God, I need to explain when Adam became the Image of God. In Logic, the way you ask a question is noted in reference to the answer you are trying to receive. The question is poor in this sense my public educated friend. I will relay the Biblical answer since we are talking about Biblical concepts.

Adam was the Image of God when God Himself breathed into him (Genesis 2:7), thus giving Adam life. This life was understood via the means of the soul/spirit. It is good to point out here that God never breathed into a horse, or a monkey. Thus, Biblical speaking, animals do not have souls/spirits. (Soul and Spirit is interchangeable). This makes humans far better and greater then the animals.

Adam was created in the likeness of God (Genesis 1:26) in refeence to personality and immorality. While God is Spirit (John 4:24), Man too has a spirit in his likeness. Of course, the body was not what Moses was talking about when he wrote Genesis under the inspiriation of the Holy Spirit.

No """religion""" on earth has this means of giving man meaning to his personality, including Islam Thus, we are the Image of God in reference to our personality since God is personable in referece to aspects.

We see that man was created with reason and choice. He was created with the means of fellowship and love like God (Genesis 3:Cool.

In reference to Adam's sin, it should also be noted that Adam is blamed (not Eve) for the relation of Original Sin. This goes back to the other post that I commented in reference to the economical sense of man and woman.

Romans 5:12, discusses this how one man (Adam) sinned.

When Adam sinned by eatting the frult, the Image of God was distorted greatly. Man received mortality, his ability to reason was horribly damaged, and he was no longer righteous, he was unrighteous.

While we are all created as the Image of God, and can undestand General Revelation via a qualified extent, one can only truly reason via faith.

Credo Ut Intelligum, (I believe in order to understand) in which the Spirit of God once again dwells in you until you are made perfect in a greater sense then Adam was before his sin (Philippians 1:6).

In regards to reason via the distortion of man being in the Image of God, I Corinthians 1:14 and 1:16 should be noted.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is sinful about gaining

What is sinful about gaining the knowledge that God has in terms of good and evil and becoming as God?.
Scriptures and the church both urge us to do just that.

Regards
DL