The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses

The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 wrote:
5 For even though there are those who are called “gods,” whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him.

Wikipedia wrote:
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[5][6] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[6][7]

Merriam Webster wrote:

Definition of GOD

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind 2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality 3 : a person or thing of supreme value 4 : a powerful ruler See god defined for English-language learners »See god defined for kids »

Examples of GOD

  1. Does she believe in God?
  2. I pray to God that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
  3. the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
  4. a myth about the god of war
  5. an offering for the gods
  6. a professor who was regarded as a kind of god
  7. a guitar god like Jimi Hendrix

Atheists are a peculiar thinking people. If you try and define atheism they will angrily tell you that to be an atheist simply means that one doesn't believe in the existence of a god or gods. If you tell them that you were once an atheist they will angrily tell you that you must not have been a "real" atheist. This has happened to me dozens of times.

If you tell an atheist that according to the Bible and a good modern dictionary a god can be anything or anyone they will say you are distorting definitions to suit your own paradigm and your are intellectually dishonest or disingenuous. The fact is, atheists tend to be extremely emotionally fixed upon their idealism, even more so than the religious, and they tend to be grossly ignorant of the Bible because they oppose modern day Christianity and to a lesser extent, any other theology.

This is my attempt to educate the atheists on what exactly a god, or deity is. God, Gods, Goddesses. The primary argument is that atheism is the disbelief of gods, it denies the existence of gods. The methodology consists of nothing more than the practical common usage of the word God, but no such distinction within the basic tenant of atheism is given, besides, the common usage of a word doesn't negate the other possible uses. The other defense is that the other gods are metaphorical. This is false, because all gods are equally metaphorical in application. The very root of the Hebrew and Greek words for gods indicates this. 

 

What Is A God

The Hebrew word El and variations of it are translated into the English word God. It means "Mighty; Strong."  The Greek word theos is the equivalent, and was used to translate El, Elohim, etc. in the Greek Septuagint of the Hebrew scriptures. When the Hebrew El appears with the definite article ha (ha El, literally meaning "the God&quotEye-wink in the Bible it was in reference strictly to Jehovah, but the various terms used without the definite article may be applied to Jehovah, to other gods, to men.

Isaiah 9:6 wrote:
For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God [Hebrew El Gibbohr], Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 is a prophecy of Jesus Christ, who was a man, and is called a mighty God.

Psalm 82:1, 6 wrote:
God [Hebrew Elohim] is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods [Hebrew elohim] he judges: "I myself have said, 'You are gods [Hebrew elohim], And all of you are sons of the Most High.'"

Here Jehovah God calls the human judges of Israel, some of whom were faithful and some of whom were not, gods.

John 10:34, 35 wrote:
Jesus answered them: "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said: "You are gods [Greek theoi, Hebrew elohim]?'" If he called 'gods' those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified,

Here Jesus is faced with the same sort of religiosity that the modern day atheist, under the influence of the modern day misguided theist, displays. A poor understanding and almost superstitious definition of what it means to be a god. He corrects them with their own sacred text, Psalm 82:1, 6, given above.

Exodus 4:16; 7:1 wrote:
And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God [Hebrew lelohim] to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God [Hebrew elohim] to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

Here again Jehovah God refers to a man, Moses, as an appointed God to Pharaoh and to Aaron. All of these verses of men being gods simply mean that they are mighty, strong. Because that is what the word god means. Anything or anyone who is attributed might or is venerated by another. So Jehovah was the God of Israel, meaning he was mighty to Israel, he was venerated by Israel. Dagon was the god [elohim] to the Philistines. (1 Samuel 5:7)

The problem is that atheists as well as most theists see this as some sort of metaphoric distinction, and that isn't the case. They see the one true God negating the others as false and that isn't necessarily so. Some gods of the nations were "valueless gods" in Jehovah's eyes and supposedly to the faithful Israelites, but that didn't mean that all of the other gods were false, or even that any of them were any less of a god in the eyes of the beholder, because that is what a God is. Something or someone with might or strength in the eyes of the beholder.

 

Why The Confusion?

Jeremiah 23:27 wrote:
They are thinking of making my people forget my name by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Baal.

 

There is some confusion, though note that the above definition of a god from a modern dictionary is really in line with what I'm saying a god is. The confusion is caused by the superstitious removal of Jehovah God's name from the scriptures by the Sopherim. The Sopherim, or scribes, changed 134 passages in the Hebrew texts to read Adhonai [Generic term LORD] in place of the tetragrammaton, YHWH, Jehovah God's personal name. They did this in a superstitious attempt to prevent the common man from profaning the name. So when you see LORD in all upper case it is where the name has been removed.
 

Afterwards, the generic title of God became somewhat distorted into being applied exclusively to the God of Israel. The God of the Bible. This is the equivalent of saying you don't believe in man because Adam probably didn't exist. 

 




 

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote: He is emotionally

Quote:
He is emotionally attached to his beliefs.

Here is the thing though. If one defends computers and doctor's and the moon landing, sure they can be emotional. But when they are right, there is no holy book of any label or politics of any nation that can defeat it. I can see nothing more important than letting go of labels and superstition. I do see most of humanity clinging to ignorant tribalism and superstition because it makes them feel good.

Your emotional appeal to objections is as absurd as to the church when Galileo told the truth about the nature of the earth to the sun. The earth is not flat, should Galileo have remained silent because of morons like you?

So if you want to accuse me OR ANYONE here of being "emotional" DAMNED FUCKING RIGHT! I know what year it is and people like you of all religions still think the earth is flat(meaning your respective  god  claims are required for life to exist)

It is 2012 and we have  modern medicine and cell phones and computers. NONE OF THAT is dependent on the earth being ruled by Jesus, Allah or Vishnu, or pink unicorns.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Odemus
Odemus's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-05-06
User is offlineOffline
You haven't actually said

You haven't actually said anything of substance. You are deserving of scorn and ridicule.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Odemus wrote:You haven't

Odemus wrote:

You haven't actually said anything of substance. You are deserving of scorn and ridicule.

If you look about three posts up to the top of this thread you will see what I have said and it is a great deal more than you have said in response. In fact you have no response but that I should be scorned and ridiculed.


Odemus
Odemus's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-05-06
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:Odemus

The Theist wrote:

Odemus wrote:

You haven't actually said anything of substance. You are deserving of scorn and ridicule.

If you look about three posts up to the top of this thread you will see what I have said and it is a great deal more than you have said in response. In fact you have no response but that I should be scorned and ridiculed.

Odemus wrote:

I prefer a distinction between knowledge and belief, which is why I consider myself a "soft" atheist of the belief lacking variety. I know no entity intelligent or not, responsible for the existence of life and the universe. Call it a god or whatever the fuck you want. I'm addressing the attributes, not the title. This of course is the thing atheists are targeting, not dictionary definitions. We can't know what to specifically lack belief in until you present us with concrete clarification. The whole argument defining god as "anything revered" serves absolutely no purpose.

Do you believe you are the subject of an entity responsible for the existence of the universe, and does this entity communicate a purpose for your life to you?

That is the only question atheists are interested in debating. I really don't give a shit if you call Abraham a god. He's a dead man made of dust, plain and simple. How is this line of reasoning even interesting to you?

 


Old Seer
Theist
Posts: 1521
Joined: 2011-11-12
User is offlineOffline
Your're tring to prove God

The Theist wrote:

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 wrote:
5 For even though there are those who are called “gods,” whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him.

Wikipedia wrote:
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[5][6] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[6][7]

Merriam Webster wrote:

Definition of GOD

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind 2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality 3 : a person or thing of supreme value 4 : a powerful ruler See god defined for English-language learners »See god defined for kids »

Examples of GOD

  1. Does she believe in God?
  2. I pray to God that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
  3. the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
  4. a myth about the god of war
  5. an offering for the gods
  6. a professor who was regarded as a kind of god
  7. a guitar god like Jimi Hendrix

Atheists are a peculiar thinking people. If you try and define atheism they will angrily tell you that to be an atheist simply means that one doesn't believe in the existence of a god or gods. If you tell them that you were once an atheist they will angrily tell you that you must not have been a "real" atheist. This has happened to me dozens of times.

If you tell an atheist that according to the Bible and a good modern dictionary a god can be anything or anyone they will say you are distorting definitions to suit your own paradigm and your are intellectually dishonest or disingenuous. The fact is, atheists tend to be extremely emotionally fixed upon their idealism, even more so than the religious, and they tend to be grossly ignorant of the Bible because they oppose modern day Christianity and to a lesser extent, any other theology.

This is my attempt to educate the atheists on what exactly a god, or deity is. God, Gods, Goddesses. The primary argument is that atheism is the disbelief of gods, it denies the existence of gods. The methodology consists of nothing more than the practical common usage of the word God, but no such distinction within the basic tenant of atheism is given, besides, the common usage of a word doesn't negate the other possible uses. The other defense is that the other gods are metaphorical. This is false, because all gods are equally metaphorical in application. The very root of the Hebrew and Greek words for gods indicates this. 

 

What Is A God

The Hebrew word El and variations of it are translated into the English word God. It means "Mighty; Strong."  The Greek word theos is the equivalent, and was used to translate El, Elohim, etc. in the Greek Septuagint of the Hebrew scriptures. When the Hebrew El appears with the definite article ha (ha El, literally meaning "the God&quotEye-wink in the Bible it was in reference strictly to Jehovah, but the various terms used without the definite article may be applied to Jehovah, to other gods, to men.

Isaiah 9:6 wrote:
For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God [Hebrew El Gibbohr], Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 is a prophecy of Jesus Christ, who was a man, and is called a mighty God.

Psalm 82:1, 6 wrote:
God [Hebrew Elohim] is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods [Hebrew elohim] he judges: "I myself have said, 'You are gods [Hebrew elohim], And all of you are sons of the Most High.'"

Here Jehovah God calls the human judges of Israel, some of whom were faithful and some of whom were not, gods.

John 10:34, 35 wrote:
Jesus answered them: "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said: "You are gods [Greek theoi, Hebrew elohim]?'" If he called 'gods' those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified,

Here Jesus is faced with the same sort of religiosity that the modern day atheist, under the influence of the modern day misguided theist, displays. A poor understanding and almost superstitious definition of what it means to be a god. He corrects them with their own sacred text, Psalm 82:1, 6, given above.

Exodus 4:16; 7:1 wrote:
And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God [Hebrew lelohim] to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God [Hebrew elohim] to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

Here again Jehovah God refers to a man, Moses, as an appointed God to Pharaoh and to Aaron. All of these verses of men being gods simply mean that they are mighty, strong. Because that is what the word god means. Anything or anyone who is attributed might or is venerated by another. So Jehovah was the God of Israel, meaning he was mighty to Israel, he was venerated by Israel. Dagon was the god [elohim] to the Philistines. (1 Samuel 5:7)

The problem is that atheists as well as most theists see this as some sort of metaphoric distinction, and that isn't the case. They see the one true God negating the others as false and that isn't necessarily so. Some gods of the nations were "valueless gods" in Jehovah's eyes and supposedly to the faithful Israelites, but that didn't mean that all of the other gods were false, or even that any of them were any less of a god in the eyes of the beholder, because that is what a God is. Something or someone with might or strength in the eyes of the beholder.

 

Why The Confusion?

Jeremiah 23:27 wrote:
They are thinking of making my people forget my name by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Baal.

 

There is some confusion, though note that the above definition of a god from a modern dictionary is really in line with what I'm saying a god is. The confusion is caused by the superstitious removal of Jehovah God's name from the scriptures by the Sopherim. The Sopherim, or scribes, changed 134 passages in the Hebrew texts to read Adhonai [Generic term LORD] in place of the tetragrammaton, YHWH, Jehovah God's personal name. They did this in a superstitious attempt to prevent the common man from profaning the name. So when you see LORD in all upper case it is where the name has been removed.
 

Afterwards, the generic title of God became somewhat distorted into being applied exclusively to the God of Israel. The God of the Bible. This is the equivalent of saying you don't believe in man because Adam probably didn't exist. 

 




 

 

 

via biblical form. That won't work necessarily. There's nothing in the book that proves "Gos' as far as we know. It makes statements and claims of a God but bears no proof that one (if any ) exists. However it does contain some hints of "what" "whom" it/one may be If you haven't found that info you have a fruitless discussion. From those hints one can find-----.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:via biblical

Old Seer wrote:

via biblical form. That won't work necessarily. There's nothing in the book that proves "Gos' as far as we know. It makes statements and claims of a God but bears no proof that one (if any ) exists. However it does contain some hints of "what" "whom" it/one may be If you haven't found that info you have a fruitless discussion. From those hints one can find-----.

I'm not trying to prove God, at least not in the sense that I'm trying to prove his existence. The information given in my post would make absolutely no difference if the god and gods considered were originally meant to be real or fictional. Outside of the specific linguistic applications it doesn't matter if someone like Moses wrote it or someone like J.R.R. Tolkien wrote it. It is an examination of the simple word god itself, rather than his existence. 


Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
Posts: 115
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:Juvenile

The Theist wrote:

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:

Theist, why do you insist that we have to use all definitions of god simultaneously in order to use the term? Do you apply this rule to any other word, or just "god"?

Because the word god means anything that is attributed might or venerated. The definition of atheism doesn't specify which god or gods they are referring to. I have never, ever heard anyone specify the gods who's existence is being questioned because the inference by common usage is one specific supernatural god at the exclusion of all the others and that isn't correct thinking.

You have to specify Jehovah God. The God of Israel. The God of the Bible. or even, I would suppose, Allah, whom you would probably think is the same as all the aforementioned.

God is not a name. If I say "Goddamn" I am not using God's name in vain. Adam was a man. Jehovah is a God. Moses was a God. Satan is a God. Dagon is a God. The Judges of Israel were gods. The angels were gods. Molech is a god. Zeus is a god. Astarte is a goddess. Astoreth is a god. Tammuz was a Sumerian king and, upon his death, as was the Sumerian tradition for kings, was a god. Jesus was a god. Paul referred to people whose belly were their gods. The dictionary says gods can be important people, rulers, a balcony or the people in the balcony. An idol is a god. Made of wood, of stone, of metal. Money can be a god. Sex can be a god. Anything and anyone can be a god. 

In order to wrap your head around this all you need to do is to realize that:

1. Anything and anyone can be a god.

2. God isn't a name, its a title.

3. God isn't the only god, except to the Christians and only then in the sense that the one God, Jehovah is above all others.

4. The Bible isn't monotheistic or polytheistic it is henothesitic, which means worshiping one god though acknowledging others.

5. In the Bible many true gods are mentioned, some of them mortal humans.

 

I was really hoping you would answer my question. Crying that atheism sounds stupid when held up to the context of an uncommonly used definition of god is a pretty vacuous objection. So far, the only reason I've seen you give for us to change the rules of language is so that you can call people stupid. Not high on my list of good reasons, but if that makes you feel good and allows you to get up in the morning, have at it. I think I'll stick with concise speech when little to no confusion is present. 

Rill


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist wrote:I

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:

I was really hoping you would answer my question. Crying that atheism sounds stupid when held up to the context of an uncommonly used definition of god is a pretty vacuous objection. So far, the only reason I've seen you give for us to change the rules of language is so that you can call people stupid. Not high on my list of good reasons, but if that makes you feel good and allows you to get up in the morning, have at it. I think I'll stick with concise speech when little to no confusion is present. 

I don't know what you want from me. You all seem to bristle at what I am saying like I'm suggesting the administration of a suppository to your paradigm when all I'm simply saying is that the definition of atheism is misleading as far as it's apparent understanding of the simple terms translated as gods. I'm not saying this information is a full frontal lobotomy for atheists or that it is impossible to be an atheist now, or God must exist so convert your heathen asses - I'm just saying that your definition is fucking stupid and demonstrates how unformed you are. You need to rise above the traditional Christian superstitions. Educate yourself. Hell at the least you could then stop bitching at me and refute my claims.

Willfully remaining ignorant because it doesn't jive with what you want to believe, is exactly as you say, stupid.


 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The Theist wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The Theist wrote:

I am simply saying that a god can be anything...

Like poop?

 

 Yes, if you wish. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you are like what? 16? 17? Did bible camp let out early and you came home with a ton of new misinformation? Did you actually think you were coming to these forums to convert us?

 

We need a "God is poop" badge for the theists of this site.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Odemus
Odemus's picture
Posts: 19
Joined: 2007-05-06
User is offlineOffline
You just need a beware sign

You just need a beware sign warning all who enter of the eye raping wall of obfuscation.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The Theist

The Theist wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Yet again with the name calling

The guy keeps calling me a liar. I don't mind being called wrong but I'm not a liar. I demonstrated my case and anyone with an open mind could see that. He is emotionally attached to his beliefs. Religious. He is detached from the truth when it is put before him. Like you when you mock and never respond to what I tell you.

You are detached from the truth.  You refuse to accept everything we are telling you.  You were given more than enough kind and respectful posts before you were the subject of mockery.  You have been told that atheists are atheists because they don't believe in a supernatural invisible man in the sky.  They don't believe in Christianity, Islam, and other major religions.  You are clinging firm to your concept that God can also be something that atheists would admit existed.  This is ridiculous and childish.  You are simply muddying the waters.  You have been given a great many examples and reasons as to why your position is flawed and dishonest. It is YOU that is clinging not only to your god, but also your religion about this issue.

And if the worst thing you can call me is all the things you are, you're not bothering me at all.  You're simply reminding me why you should be bothered by yourself.  You think being called a religious smug dumb asshole is an insult, eh?  Then stop being one!

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Odemus wrote:You haven't

Odemus wrote:

You haven't actually said anything of substance. You are deserving of scorn and ridicule.

... as I just said before I read your post.  Thanks Odemus.

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote: You all

The Theist wrote:

You all seem to bristle at what I am saying like I'm suggesting the administration of a suppository to your paradigm when all I'm simply saying is that the definition of atheism is misleading as far as it's apparent understanding of the simple terms translated as gods.... I'm just saying that your definition is fucking stupid and demonstrates how unformed you are. You need to rise above the traditional Christian superstitions.  

Atheism is the absence of theism.  Theism is the belief in a creator god, not the belief that Jimi Hendrix is godly.

You should get to work on wikipedia, it seems like all the editors are religious smug dumb assholes who are fucking stupid and willfully ignorant.  Or you can just read the commonly accepted usage that wikipedia has found as the best and most sourced understanding of the terms involved.  Or you can keep being dishonest with yourself and everyone you interact with.  Your choice.

Quote:

 

Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[1] The term theism may be used within context for monotheism, a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and God's relationship to the universe.[2][3] Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. The use of the word theism as indicating a particular doctrine of monotheism arose in the wake of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century to contrast with the then emerging deism that contended that God, though transcendent and supreme, did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.[4]

The term theism derives from the Greek theos meaning "god". The term theism was first used by Ralph Cudworth (1617–88).[5] Atheism is rejection of theism in the broadest sense of theism; i.e. the rejection of belief that there is even one deity.[6]Rejection of the narrower sense of theism can take forms such as deismpantheism, and polytheism. The claim that the existence of any deity is unknown or unknowable is agnosticism.[7][8] The positive assertion of knowledge, either of the existence of gods or the absence of gods, can also be attributed to some theists and some atheists. Put simply theism and atheism deal with belief, and agnosticism deals with (absence of) rational claims to asserting knowledge.[8]

Underlined and bolded sentence emphasis is mine.

 

ONE MORE TIME... here is how wikipedia defines theism:

"Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe."

 

and atheism is the absence of theism.  It is "without" (a root), theism!  

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:The Theist

Sapient wrote:

The Theist wrote:

You all seem to bristle at what I am saying like I'm suggesting the administration of a suppository to your paradigm when all I'm simply saying is that the definition of atheism is misleading as far as it's apparent understanding of the simple terms translated as gods.... I'm just saying that your definition is fucking stupid and demonstrates how unformed you are. You need to rise above the traditional Christian superstitions.  

Atheism is the absence of theism.  Theism is the belief in a creator god, not the belief that Jimi Hendrix is godly.

You should get to work on wikipedia, it seems like all the editors are religious smug dumb assholes who are fucking stupid and willfully ignorant.  Or you can just read the commonly accepted usage that wikipedia has found as the best and most sourced understanding of the terms involved.  Or you can keep being dishonest with yourself and everyone you interact with.  Your choice.

Quote:

 

Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[1] The term theism may be used within context for monotheism, a doctrine concerning the nature of a monotheistic God and God's relationship to the universe.[2][3] Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. The use of the word theism as indicating a particular doctrine of monotheism arose in the wake of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century to contrast with the then emerging deism that contended that God, though transcendent and supreme, did not intervene in the natural world and could be known rationally but not via revelation.[4]

The term theism derives from the Greek theos meaning "god". The term theism was first used by Ralph Cudworth (1617–88).[5] Atheism is rejection of theism in the broadest sense of theism; i.e. the rejection of belief that there is even one deity.[6]Rejection of the narrower sense of theism can take forms such as deismpantheism, and polytheism. The claim that the existence of any deity is unknown or unknowable is agnosticism.[7][8] The positive assertion of knowledge, either of the existence of gods or the absence of gods, can also be attributed to some theists and some atheists. Put simply theism and atheism deal with belief, and agnosticism deals with (absence of) rational claims to asserting knowledge.[8]

Underlined and bolded sentence emphasis is mine.

 

ONE MORE TIME... here is how wikipedia defines theism:

"Theism, in this specific sense, conceives of God as personal, present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe."

 

and atheism is the absence of theism.  It is "without" (a root), theism!  

 

From the Wekipedia above: " Atheism is rejection of theism in the broadest sense of theism; i.e. the rejection of belief that there is even one deity."

My own quote from the beloved Wikipedia: "A deity[1] is a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by believers.

Deities are depicted in a variety of forms, but are also frequently expressed as having human form."

You are telling me, that you subscribe to a school of thought, which is the rejection that there is even one deity, and that a deity can be human - which is what I have been saying all along.

Secondly If a deity is any preternatural or supernatural immortal being, holy, or sacred . . . how in fucks sake could you possibly have the balls to stand there questioning me when Shintoism and Hinduism alone has millions of them.

I tell you how. You don't know what the fuck a god is. Atheism my ass.


neptewn
neptewn's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-25
User is offlineOffline
 Your argument.. there is

 

Your argument.. there is no objective definition of god. And this is a position you're trying to push? Everything is subject to this claim. Cogito ergo sum ...

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs


ax
Theist
ax's picture
Posts: 86
Joined: 2012-02-10
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:...deity[1]

The Theist wrote:

...deity[1] is a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being...

... a deity can be human...

This statement is contradictory. A human by definition as an organism inevitably dies.

 

On a side note, why are you here on this website? Your answer is of personal interest to me.


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Ax

ax wrote:

The Theist wrote:

...deity[1] is a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being...

... a deity can be human...

This statement is contradictory. A human by definition as an organism inevitably dies.

 

On a side note, why are you here on this website? Your answer is of personal interest to me.

I can't speak for the man, but it sure seems to be just to see how long he can go on with semantics. How long can you go on about the definitions of the words "God, Gods, dieties, theists,atheists....bla bla bla". Lets discuss the word"fuck" for 3 days.


 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
ax wrote:The Theist

ax wrote:

The Theist wrote:

...deity[1] is a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being...

... a deity can be human...

This statement is contradictory. A human by definition as an organism inevitably dies.

You should know better. As I have stated previously, the Bible calls Jesus, Moses, and the Judges of Israel gods. Elohim. Deities. They all died.

 

ax wrote:
On a side note, why are you here on this website? Your answer is of personal interest to me.

Why do you think?


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
tonyjeffers wrote:I can't

tonyjeffers wrote:
I can't speak for the man, but it sure seems to be just to see how long he can go on with semantics. How long can you go on about the definitions of the words "God, Gods, deities, theists,atheists....bla bla bla". Lets discuss the word"fuck" for 3 days.

It really is a very simple thing, its just that you have been programmed to think that a god can only be supernatural.

The word fuck means throwing down of seed, The Greek katabole also literally means "a throwing down of seed." When Jesus said the world was founded upon the blood of the prophets, the blood of Abel, he used the Greek word katabole. Many people confuse this to mean that God had the sin of Adam planed before the founding of the world, meaning before he created man, but actually it simply applies to the time in between the sin of Adam and the conception of their first child. It is also used by Paul in reference to Sarah conceiving. (Luke 11:50-51 / Hebrews 9:26; 11:11)


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote: Your

neptewn wrote:

 

Your argument.. there is no objective definition of god. And this is a position you're trying to push? Everything is subject to this claim. Cogito ergo sum ...

I honestly don't understand how such intelligent people can be so uninformed about that which they believe (disbelieve).

This is not an argument about there being no objective definition of god, for I have elaborated on that definition time and time again. Its about atheism, by definition, getting the definition wrong. Or at least being based upon a misapplication of the definition.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:I honestly

The Theist wrote:

I honestly don't understand how such intelligent people can be so uninformed about that which they believe (disbelieve).

It's not always easy to communicate with someone who is communicating dishonestly.  The problem lies with you. 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:The Theist

Sapient wrote:

The Theist wrote:

I honestly don't understand how such intelligent people can be so uninformed about that which they believe (disbelieve).

It's not always easy to communicate with someone who is communicating dishonestly.  The problem lies with you. 

Don't kill the messenger.


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 585
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Sage, was that a

Quote:
Sage, was that a picture of God, cause you know The Theist said ANYTHING could be God.   Oh my God, Brent Spiner is GOD !!!  I see how it works now, thank you The Theist....I revere you now so you're God, too !  Creating Gods is so god damned easy !!!

 

You caught me red-handed, Prozac! 

 

I still think I need to elaborate a little so, let me slide it on ya... *bongos start playing*

 

The Theist is one of those guys that clings hard to his beliefs so hard, in fact, that his resistance makes my very manhood swell with such reverent pride that a thousand impotent fellows would bow before it as the phallic god of all that is erect.  The very nature of this man's delusional ways has my man-nipples so "on-point" as it were that the most flawless diamonds this side of Tiffany & Co. would be no worthy match.  Despite his solid foundation of faith, however, his morals are about as shaky as a crumbling granola bar, as futile as a plane made out of solid lead and as ridiculous as a blue tiger sipping tea while wearing an SS uniform and reading the Boston Chronicle.

 

So, indeed, Prozac, by displaying Brent in all his bodacious, grinning glory, it shows us that The Theist's resistance can make us all, in fact, very hard, absurdly excited and downright tingly in our happy sack because his god can be our god if we just CREATE ONE! *bongos stop*

 

*fingers snap*

 

Thank you.  *leaves the stage* 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:You

Sage_Override wrote:

You caught me red-handed, Prozac! 

 

I still think I need to elaborate a little so, let me slide it on ya... *bongos start playing*

 

The Theist is one of those guys that clings hard to his beliefs so hard, in fact, that his resistance makes my very manhood swell with such reverent pride that a thousand impotent fellows would bow before it as the phallic god of all that is erect.  The very nature of this man's delusional ways has my man-nipples so "on-point" as it were that the most flawless diamonds this side of Tiffany & Co. would be no worthy match.  Despite his solid foundation of faith, however, his morals are about as shaky as a crumbling granola bar, as futile as a plane made out of solid lead and as ridiculous as a blue tiger sipping tea while wearing an SS uniform and reading the Boston Chronicle.

 

So, indeed, Prozac, by displaying Brent in all his bodacious, grinning glory, it shows us that The Theist's resistance can make us all, in fact, very hard, absurdly excited and downright tingly in our happy sack because his god can be our god if we just CREATE ONE! *bongos stop*

 

*fingers snap*

 

Thank you.  *leaves the stage* 

 

Speaking of superheroes, are you being sarcastic and making homophobic references because I'm gay?

. . . no one here believes me . . . 'when the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest.'


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:    

The Theist wrote:

....are you being sarcastic and making homophobic references because I'm gay?

 

                     

 

                                                            Hey, did you know that the word "gay" has many definitions ? 

                     And homophobic ?  ....what do you mean ?   Are you implying a fear of homo sapiens ?   ...homogenised milk ?

                                           

 

                                                                             (  Gosh, words are so confusing ! )

 

 

 

 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote: . no one here

Quote:
. no one here believes me . . . 'when the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest.'

Damned right we don't believe you. Just like we don't believe in pink unicorns. And no, the majority believes. Most of our 7  billion have the false belief that some sort of god exists. Our species also once believed that the earth was flat. Some people believed that the sun was a god. The truth is what most of humanity does not want to face because superstition is far more comforting to most.

Now, let me make this simple for you.

Elvis is dead.

Crop circles are hoaxes.

There is no big foot

And gods, including your pet god, are mere products of your own imagination.

We can't dumb it down any more than that for you.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline

badlad83
Posts: 43
Joined: 2012-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Theist: You are a complete

Theist: You are a complete waste of time. Words are not our masters. You can define any word however the fuck you want to, but if everyone disagrees with your definition you will not be able to effectively communicate. Everyone other than you agree that atheists reject notions for which no evidence exists. If you don’t understand something as simple as this, something that everyone else understands, you should start to look at having your meds adjusted. I guarantee nobody here gives a shit you like to suck cock. If you do it well, atheists will be the first to pat you on the back and say “good job little buddy!”


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
For the Love of God

Thank You Bum. Hey Sapient, maybe you could put this under "Am I agnostic or atheist?"      Hey "The Theist"- See also 3.2 Non-theistic Gods.


 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:If you tell

The Theist wrote:

If you tell an atheist that according to the Bible and a good modern dictionary a god can be anything....

 

                                                                       

 

                                                                                          Behold your God!!!

 

 

 

 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
tonyjeffers

tonyjeffers wrote:

Thank You Bum. Hey Sapient, maybe you could put this under "Am I agnostic or atheist?"      Hey "The Theist"- See also 3.2 Non-theistic Gods.

 

 

Done.  It's at the bottom.

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
      ....or for those

      ....or for those "pagans" who prefer a more polytheistic approach:

 

                                                                                                         

 

 

                                                                                                                                                  Behold your gods !!!

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Quiz On Gods

Brian37 wrote:
Damned right we don't believe you.

That's it mister! Because of your attitude the entire class gets a pop quiz right now! You all can thank Brian for this.

Okay, which one of these facts are wrong and why.

1. The Hebrew word God Means Mighty; strong.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

 

2. The Hebrew words for gods are applied to which Biblical Characters?

A. Jehovah

B. Pagan Idols

C. Ordinary men

D. Angels

E. All of the above

 

3. The English word God can be applied to which modern class?

A. Supernatural

B. Humans

C. Inanimate objects

D. Poop

E. All of the above

 

4. A deity is the same as a god.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

 

5. Elvis is dead.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

 

6. Crop circles are hoaxes.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

 

7. There is no big foot.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

D. You can't say for sure.

 

8. Gods, by definition don't exist.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

 

9. Supernatural Gods don't exist.

A. True

B. False

C. N/A

D. You can't say for sure.

 

10. Richard Dawkins is a wimpy putz.

A. True

 

Answers: 1. A / 2. E / 3. E / 4. A /  5. A or C / 6. A or C 7. C or D 8. B / 9. C or D 10. A.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
badlad83 wrote:Theist: You

badlad83 wrote:

Theist: You are a complete waste of time. Words are not our masters. You can define any word however the fuck you want to, but if everyone disagrees with your definition you will not be able to effectively communicate. Everyone other than you agree that atheists reject notions for which no evidence exists. If you don’t understand something as simple as this, something that everyone else understands, you should start to look at having your meds adjusted. I guarantee nobody here gives a shit you like to suck cock. If you do it well, atheists will be the first to pat you on the back and say “good job little buddy!”

 

Wow. What an atheist idiot.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 I thought he was dead on

 I thought he was dead on sans the reference to you liking cock.  (not that there's anything wrong with that)

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
Posts: 535
Joined: 2008-03-22
User is offlineOffline
Let me get this straight...

You are arguing from definition.
You arraigned the definition to suit yourself.

Since the definition of Atheist leaves little room for debate, as in "The lack of belief in god or gods" then you must define god as an absurdist set that includes, well, everything. 

Then you sit back and congratulate yourself for being so clever...

Right.
 

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:badlad83

The Theist wrote:

badlad83 wrote:

Theist: You are a complete waste of time. Words are not our masters. You can define any word however the fuck you want to, but if everyone disagrees with your definition you will not be able to effectively communicate. Everyone other than you agree that atheists reject notions for which no evidence exists. If you don’t understand something as simple as this, something that everyone else understands, you should start to look at having your meds adjusted. I guarantee nobody here gives a shit you like to suck cock. If you do it well, atheists will be the first to pat you on the back and say “good job little buddy!”

 

Wow. What an atheist idiot.

No, an "idiot" is someone who makes absurd claims and can't back it up with evidence, and still insists on selling it after the bad logic is exposed. The grown up, when they face reality, accepts when they are wrong and sheds the bad claim and moves on.

If you want to focus on his harshness and blasphemy, to me you are no different than a child when the parent says "Will you fucking knock it off, your being stupid". My mom did that to me, now I know why, because sometimes I WAS BEING STUPID.

Don't get pissed at us for the choice you made in coming here. We don't care about what you think of our reactions. YOU for your own sake, should care about your own arguments and be willing to accept when they are wrong.

We don't hate you merely because we do FUCKING HATE YOUR BAD ARGUMENTS. But you need to stop acting like a child when we don't give your claims blind loyalty.

WE will hand any human the Nobel Prize ourselves if anyone ever proves the existence of ANY god. We simply hold the position that it is a dead and broken concept humans have merely used as a placebo and not worth the attempt . Just as it would be useless with what we know now about science, to try to attempt to make a perpetually motion machine.

IT IS FUCKING 2012, we have better knowledge of the nature of the universe and the nature of biology, and and an over whelming abundance of evidence that humans are capable of believing absurd crap ON ANY ISSUE.

READ "The New Atheism" By Victor Stinger

"The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins

"Why People Believe Weird Things, Micheal Shermer

All of those books deal with the natural reason that humans make up crap and believe the crap.

WE are trying to give you a cure to your self inflicted delusion. It doesn't make you a bad person. Delusion is a natural hiccup in evolution. But we are not going to sit idol while our species dwells in the past. We are trying to help you move into a better future.

Pet deities have always been invented by humans, but we know now in a scientific sense, WHY people make shit up, from a psychological level. It is because of evolution and that evolution isn't about getting right answers or utopias, but merely getting to the point of reproduction. Once you accept that reality, you will understand why we get pissed. JUST LIKE you'd be pissed if someone claimed they could fuel your car with pixie dust. Just like Galileo had every right to be pissed at the people around him ignoring the reality he knew.

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Theistard

What's your definition of "Theistard" Or "A Theistard" Or "A Theistard Badge"?- cuz I'm pretty sure Sapient is close to giving you a new badge.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
tonyjeffers wrote:What's

tonyjeffers wrote:

What's your definition of "Theistard" Or "A Theistard" Or "A Theistard Badge"?- cuz I'm pretty sure Sapient is close to giving you a new badge.

Done.

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:You are

Louis_Cypher wrote:

You are arguing from definition.
You arraigned the definition to suit yourself.

Since the definition of Atheist leaves little room for debate, as in "The lack of belief in god or gods" then you must define god as an absurdist set that includes, well, everything. 

Then you sit back and congratulate yourself for being so clever...

Right.

 

I hear what you are saying but think about it for a minute. Atheism is, as you said, "the lack of belief in god or gods." Israel was a real nation, their judges were real. They were people who existed. They were not supernatural and the Bible called them gods. That means that you have to deny history, deny reality, in order, by definition to adhere to atheism.

If you forget everything else I said . . . about Paul saying "their belly is their gods" or "there are many god and many lords but to us one God and one Lord" and poop being a god and all of it, the simple fact remains that the Bible called literal, historical, ordinary men and women gods. They existed. In order for you to live by the definition of atheist you have to reconcile that fact.

 

Oh, and it isn't clever, it is very simple.


Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
Posts: 535
Joined: 2008-03-22
User is offlineOffline
The Theist

The Theist wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

You are arguing from definition.
You arraigned the definition to suit yourself.

Since the definition of Atheist leaves little room for debate, as in "The lack of belief in god or gods" then you must define god as an absurdist set that includes, well, everything. 

Then you sit back and congratulate yourself for being so clever...

Right.

 

I hear what you are saying but think about it for a minute. Atheism is, as you said, "the lack of belief in god or gods." Israel was a real nation, their judges were real. They were people who existed. They were not supernatural and the Bible called them gods. That means that you have to deny history, deny reality, in order, by definition to adhere to atheism.

If you forget everything else I said . . . about Paul saying "their belly is their gods" or "there are many god and many lords but to us one God and one Lord" and poop being a god and all of it, the simple fact remains that the Bible called literal, historical, ordinary men and women gods. They existed. In order for you to live by the definition of atheist you have to reconcile that fact.

 

Oh, and it isn't clever, it is very simple.

 

Sonny... the point you are truly missing is that I DON'T have to live by YOUR definition of Atheist.
I responded on your other thread, but I will repeat my position.
Your definition of god is ludicrous. No one, and I do mean NO one follows it.
 

You have contrived a game, set the rules and giggle like a school girl because the rest of the world doesn't play by your rules. Your fantasy land is a response to your childish inner dialog that always has you as the victor, confounding your foes with your impeccable logic. 
 

In fact, you ARE the famous chess playing pigeon, all you do is knock over the pieces, shit on the board then fly away to strut and claim victory.

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.


badlad83
Posts: 43
Joined: 2012-03-13
User is offlineOffline
HAHAHAHA! There's actually a

HAHAHAHA! There's actually a "Theistard" badge there now! That cracks me up hard... Thanks for making my day!


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Hey Cypher

Louis_Cypher wrote:

The Theist wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

You are arguing from definition.
You arraigned the definition to suit yourself.

Since the definition of Atheist leaves little room for debate, as in "The lack of belief in god or gods" then you must define god as an absurdist set that includes, well, everything. 

Then you sit back and congratulate yourself for being so clever...

Right.

 

I hear what you are saying but think about it for a minute. Atheism is, as you said, "the lack of belief in god or gods." Israel was a real nation, their judges were real. They were people who existed. They were not supernatural and the Bible called them gods. That means that you have to deny history, deny reality, in order, by definition to adhere to atheism.

If you forget everything else I said . . . about Paul saying "their belly is their gods" or "there are many god and many lords but to us one God and one Lord" and poop being a god and all of it, the simple fact remains that the Bible called literal, historical, ordinary men and women gods. They existed. In order for you to live by the definition of atheist you have to reconcile that fact.

 

Oh, and it isn't clever, it is very simple.

 

Sonny... the point you are truly missing is that I DON'T have to live by YOUR definition of Atheist.
I responded on your other thread, but I will repeat my position.
Your definition of god is ludicrous. No one, and I do mean NO one follows it.
 

You have contrived a game, set the rules and giggle like a school girl because the rest of the world doesn't play by your rules. Your fantasy land is a response to your childish inner dialog that always has you as the victor, confounding your foes with your impeccable logic. 
 

In fact, you ARE the famous chess playing pigeon, all you do is knock over the pieces, shit on the board then fly away to strut and claim victory.

 

Well put kind Sir!


 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


ax
Theist
ax's picture
Posts: 86
Joined: 2012-02-10
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:You should

The Theist wrote:

You should know better. As I have stated previously, the Bible calls Jesus, Moses, and the Judges of Israel gods. Elohim. Deities. They all died.


I pointed out the contradiction in your statement. The two definitions you quoted conflict with one another.

To use the bible as a reference, all parties have to agree it is such, and for the sake of clarity and equality, I am not sure many could agree to include the Bible as a reference. There are many different versions of the Bible with varying translations and subjective interpretations.


The Theist wrote:

Why do you think?

Why would I assume without certainty when I could surely know by simply asking you? I am presupposing of course that your answer will be honest.


The Theist wrote:

It really is a very simple thing, its just that you have been programmed to think that a god can only be supernatural.

The Theist wrote:

A deity[1] is a recognized preternatural or supernatural immortal being, who may be thought of as holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by believers.



The Theist wrote:

This is not an argument about there being no objective definition of god, for I have elaborated on that definition time and time again. Its about atheism, by definition, getting the definition wrong. Or at least being based upon a misapplication of the definition.

You must first agree on the definition.


The Theist wrote:

Don't kill the messenger.

If you are a herald, who sent you?


The Theist wrote:

. . . no one here believes me . . . 'when the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest.'

Your definition of a word is not needed when the definition is already provided by credible sources.


The Theist wrote:

(your quiz)

I see why you are confused. Not every word has an exact translation into every language. To understand this further, attempt to define a cell phone using Latin.

You also seem to have difficulty with context. The context in which the word god(s) is used in the definition of atheism is not referring to "Hendrix". This is not assumed or "misapplied", it is common English grammar.

I am hoping your denial is the result of angst towards atheism and seeing the logical response from another theist might help you drop this silly notion that you are clinging to as it is destroying your credibility.

However, it seems I am too late to help you withdraw.. I sadly inform you that your label may be permanent.

 


The Theist
TheistardTroll
The Theist's picture
Posts: 217
Joined: 2012-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Sonny...

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Sonny... the point you are truly missing is that I DON'T have to live by YOUR definition of Atheist.
I responded on your other thread, but I will repeat my position.
Your definition of god is ludicrous. No one, and I do mean NO one follows it.
 

You have contrived a game, set the rules and giggle like a school girl because the rest of the world doesn't play by your rules. Your fantasy land is a response to your childish inner dialog that always has you as the victor, confounding your foes with your impeccable logic. 
 

In fact, you ARE the famous chess playing pigeon, all you do is knock over the pieces, shit on the board then fly away to strut and claim victory.

 

My definition of atheist is the same as yours. It was the very definition I used. The one everyone uses. I'm not trying to change it I'm saying how stupid it is; but the definition of gods I give . . . it isn't really mine. It was around thousands of years before atheism was. Your (the atheists here on this forum) problem and the way you react to it, taking it out on me, speaks volumes to me.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm not trying to

Quote:
I'm not trying to change it I'm saying how stupid it is;

Well, it wouldn't exist as a word if it's opposites didn't go around claiming fictional sky daddies with magic wands. It is a shame that a word exists that we have to hold to state that we are  non-absurdists.

There isn't a word for non-pinkunicornists. But I am sure you don't believe in pink unicorns.

But since the word does exist and I do hold that label as a position, I don't think it is stupid to proclaim that I don't buy myth, be it your myth or any proclaimed in human history.

Why shouldn't I hold that word? If you want me to be ashamed of using it, sorry, I am not.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
Posts: 535
Joined: 2008-03-22
User is offlineOffline
Butthurt redeux

The Theist wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Sonny... the point you are truly missing is that I DON'T have to live by YOUR definition of Atheist.
I responded on your other thread, but I will repeat my position.
Your definition of god is ludicrous. No one, and I do mean NO one follows it.
 

You have contrived a game, set the rules and giggle like a school girl because the rest of the world doesn't play by your rules. Your fantasy land is a response to your childish inner dialog that always has you as the victor, confounding your foes with your impeccable logic. 
 

In fact, you ARE the famous chess playing pigeon, all you do is knock over the pieces, shit on the board then fly away to strut and claim victory.

 

My definition of atheist is the same as yours. It was the very definition I used. The one everyone uses. I'm not trying to change it I'm saying how stupid it is; but the definition of gods I give . . . it isn't really mine. It was around thousands of years before atheism was. Your (the atheists here on this forum) problem and the way you react to it, taking it out on me, speaks volumes to me.

 

Sonny, I wish I could say your response is new and original but, it's not. You are feeling the sting of rejection.

Quote:
but the definition of gods I give . . . it isn't really mine. It was around thousands of years before atheism was.

You seem to fail to grasp the central point here...so I will ask you directly.


Do you think the definition by which you are assaulting us as "stupid" is the commonly held, normal and day to day definition by which the REST of the world defines 'god'?

Does Joe Six-Pack think of god as basically anything he likes?

Sonny, do you think your definition is a REASONABLE way for everyone to define god?
 

I just have to stand by my assessment, you are being childish and petulant because we don't want to play in your sandbox.

Grow up.

 

LC >;-}>

 

 

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
tonyjeffers

tonyjeffers wrote:

Thank You Bum. Hey Sapient, maybe you could put this under "Am I agnostic or atheist?"      Hey "The Theist"- See also 3.2 Non-theistic Gods.

I've watched all his videos several times. It's amazing that he has such a clear way of explaining things. I wish I had his ability to verbalize the truth about logic, religion and history.

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
badlad83 wrote:Theist: You

badlad83 wrote:

Theist: You are a complete waste of time. Words are not our masters. You can define any word however the fuck you want to, but if everyone disagrees with your definition you will not be able to effectively communicate. Everyone other than you agree that atheists reject notions for which no evidence exists. If you don’t understand something as simple as this, something that everyone else understands, you should start to look at having your meds adjusted. I guarantee nobody here gives a shit you like to suck cock. If you do it well, atheists will be the first to pat you on the back and say “good job little buddy!”

 

Shit, I thought badlad was out of line here when he made the comment about you liking cock, but you say you are gay, so I take it back.  Badlad is dead on with everything he said. 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
The Theist wrote:My

The Theist wrote:

My definition of atheist is the same as yours.... I'm not trying to change it I'm saying how stupid it is;

atheist: a word that has a stupid definition

theist: a person that is stupid.

I'd rather be an atheist.

 

/mockery

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.