Homemade quotes. What are your favorite form or non famous quotes of atheists.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homemade quotes. What are your favorite form or non famous quotes of atheists.

EDIT ADDED BY SAPIENT: We have a special thread on this website for your favorite atheist quotes.  Visit and post yours!

Here is one of my most recient. It was in response to Mr Peel, Banana Manm Ray Comforts side kick Kirk Cameron, who stupidly thinks that if gays can marry the world will end. He'll quote the OT until we point out that it also condemns Red Lobster.

Brian37 wrote:
Life is a bowl of cherries, you get to pick them. Logic doesn't matter even when the cherries have fallen in squirrel or deer or raccoon dung. It is still a cherry. Religion is the same as marketing and allows the seller to sell non existent ice cream flavors to Eskimos. If you dream it, and gets your rocks off, who needs to test it, just kill others when they don't buy it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Short atheist jokes (korny but true)

1. There are 3 religious truths: 1) Jews do not recognize jesus as the messiah    2) Protestants do not recognize the pope as the leader of the christian faith  3) Baptists do not recognize each other at the liquor store or at Hooters

2.  The way to see by faith is to shut the eyes of reason. - Ben Franklin

3.  If God created us in his own image, how come I'm not invisible?

4.  The bible is like a software license. No one actually reads it. They just open to the last page and click "accept"

5.  Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

6.  You found God? If no one claims him in 30 days- he's yours!

I know- those are old.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
"If atheists are deaf to the

"If atheists are deaf to the word of God, then theists are blind to the ways of man."

-- Michael Pain

...and this one because this guy was ahead of his time, his music was warped and his mind was as sharp as a tack...

"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over"

-- Frank Zappa

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:"If

Sage_Override wrote:

"If atheists are deaf to the word of God, then theists are blind to the ways of man."

-- Michael Pain

...and this one because this guy was ahead of his time, his music was warped and his mind was as sharp as a tack...

-- Frank Zappa

Hello, I meant this thread for NON famous quotes, you know, from board members or other atheist you know on other websites or in person.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Sage_Override

Brian37 wrote:

Sage_Override wrote:

-- Michael Pain

-- Frank Zappa

Hello, I meant this thread for NON famous quotes, you know, from board members or other atheist you know on other websites or in person.

LMAO

I knew this was going to happen as soon as I read the title of the thread.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
re: Cybernetic Revolt

"Little old peter, missing his leter, while Herky plays in the red. Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead. - Schoolyard chant, c. 2800."

"Success is the slow judge of right and wrong."

"Why not bombard from orbit?"

"Humans, have... strange ways."

"Warform damaged!"

"HURT///MAIM///KILL! Acknowledge\\submit."

"Desire is irrelevant. I am... a machine!"

"Denial is the most predictable of human responses" (or words to that effect)

"This is... eats-only-heads." (member of a cybernetic pilot -or Cybrid- faction bent on capture and dissection/torture of humans)

"(whining tone) My bbllaaaddddddeeerrrr's  reeeaaallllllyyy empty."

"I can not self-terminate"

"It is your nature to destroy yourselves."

"(post-invasion Starsiege) ANALYSIS: Humans succumb to stress//hormonal weakness..."

"... especially target human newboots. (infanticide)"

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Starsiege

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillerRobot

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AIIsACrapshoot

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Here's one of my own:

"If you give people an inch of faith they'll take a mile.  Faith greases the wheels of cognition, but don't take out your entire engine and replace it with grease."

I have to give credit to Sam Harris for "faith greases the wheels of cognition," but everything else is my own.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:Here's

Philosophicus wrote:

Here's one of my own:

"If you give people an inch of faith they'll take a mile.  Faith greases the wheels of cognition, but don't take out your entire engine and replace it with grease."

I have to give credit to Sam Harris for "faith greases the wheels of cognition," but everything else is my own.

Well Sam and I since I first found out about him, and you can ask Bob Spence here what I think of how Sam views "faith". LIP TWITCH about sums my view of Sam on that issue.

Faith doesn't grease anything but mental masturbation. I had "faith" once that if I just pined for a girl in high school enough, she'd see how much I "loved"(hormones) her. To borrow an over used cliche I had "A snowball's chance in hell".

I'd advise both you and Sam to scrap that word and so would Victor Stinger "The New Atheism" Book he wrote addresses Sam Harris's view as well and why it is just as wrong as all the woo he attacks in that book.

Neil Degrees Tyson said it best, I saw this on Youtube, I couldn't give you a link because he has had so many speeches I couldn't tell you which one. He basically said that he didn't like scientists in our human history that would hit a gap and then say "well, since this is it, then the following must be", which is the same thing to me as "faith", faith is merely gap filling. The scrutiny of never stop questioning is the only way to keep an open mind. "Faith" even when Sam uses it, is hollow. It is merely his own woo attempt to placate his own emotions and ease the fears of others who fear him.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

I heard Sam Harris use the phrase "faith greases the wheels of cognition" (I think) in a talk at Beyond Belief at The Science Network dot org.  I don't remember the context, but I think it went like this:

paraphrase:

Sam Harris, responding to an objection from the crowd that faith is practical: "I'm not criticizing the kind of faith we have that the sun will rise tomorrow.  Faith greases the wheels of cognition, but I'm criticizing dogmatism.  I could have called my book 'The End of Dogmatism.'"

Technically, the belief that the sun will rise tomorrow isn't based on faith, it's based on inductive reasoning.  But I get his point.  Even in logic we have to make assumptions.  Faith is the same as making an assumption in logic -- it's a non-inferential proposition.  The fewer the assumptions the better.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Original Brian wrote:EDIT

Original Brian wrote:

EDIT ADDED BY SAPIENT: We have a special thread on this website for your favorite atheist quotes.  Visit and post yours!

translated wrote:

(Yes... I had a more polite meme to try out... but it requires Google Images and Bing is ten times as fun Eye-wink)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
found it

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

"Fuck them!" -Josef/Iosef Stalin regarding some American generals on a diplomatic mission to Russia

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Um Brian edited it to put it

Um Brian edited it to put it where he thought it should go. I certainly didn't mean to repeat topics but I do love to hear non famous atheists quotes, like from here or some you have heard yourself here or anywhere.

BOCK on topic though. I often like to point out the age of the universe and the "life before and after". I'll say something to the affect,

"Your myth was not around 13 billion years ago, and it wont be around after our species goes extinct because there wont be any future generation for humans to sell their myths to." Me

One of my more funny ones I use from time to time is something to the affect of

"We can prove that George Washington existed, but no sane person would claim he could fart a Lamborghini out of his ass". Me

I want to hear some of yours guys.