A young atheist book project

PeteDarwin
User is offlineOffline
A young atheist book project

A Younger Generation’s Rise to Atheism  Dear all young non-theists! I am Pete Darwin and I’m an avid secular humanist atheist and have been all my life. I’m currently completing a Masters of Science at the University of Melbourne in the area of evolutionary genetics and zoology.Anyway, I am working at putting together a book of essays regarding the younger generations’ rise to atheism.  The idea for this book was brought about when I decided I wanted to tell my story about how I became an atheist, as well as share a bit about my personal life with religion and numerous fundi family members. It’s been a bumpy and interesting ride to say the least. However, while reflecting on my own history with religion and atheism I knew there must be numerous other interesting, amazing, scary, and even heartbreaking stories out there that should also be told.The majority of what one reads, views or hears about atheism comes from an older generation. They are the authors of books, speakers at conferences and hosts on documentaries, and they do an amazing job at it too. However, I think the voice of the younger generations of atheists and their experiences and stories would be a great addition to the scientific, skeptical and non-theistic realm!  I want to provide a book that younger generations of theists, non-theists and agnostics alike can read, more easily digest, and hopefully connect with on a deeper level. I want to show what kind of person your average atheist is, and present an argument to show that the gap between atheists and theists is much narrower than assumed. To show that we atheists just have a different take on life that is based on scientific evidence and fact. Atheists are the least trusted minority according to US polls, when things couldn’t be further from the truth.  So I think it’s incredibly important to create a book that illustrates who and what the average atheist is like, as well as why, when and how they became an atheist.  I hope the book gives theist readers a better understanding of atheism and atheists in general, and not to fear or hate them as all too many do today. I hope it reassures and strengthens other atheists who read it, and that it gets fence sitter agnostics into the right paddock. I also hope that people in the process of losing their religion, or even those who just starting to question things, with something to connect with and provide a little support and guidance.What is required of essay authors?

For the third section I’d like to cover as many areas as possible, which reinforce one’s stance as an atheist or a sceptic (if it’s about supernatural beliefs like astrology/homeopathy/psychics, etc).  So one would introduce that topic and then explain how it is in direct contrast with theism or supernatural beliefs and affirms their atheism. With any personal stories relating to the topic added in if one chooses.  It doesn’t have to be that exact formula, but the main idea is to have a personal story about how one became an atheist and why one remains an atheist with reference to a specific reason/topic. People are welcome to add in anything extra, and go outside of the word limit if they need.  I will be getting in contact with a number of renowned atheists to be involved with this book, and will hopefully have space for 15-20 essays from average Joe young atheists of all shapes and sizes. I have to just quickly mention that all essays may be edited or asked for editing to be made, and that there’s no assurance that all essays will be published in the book. The best 15-20 will be chosen. Anyway, thanks for your time and keep fighting the good fight my friends!

I might also add, the cut off age will be 40. So anyone 40 years old or younger is able to write for this book (sorry anyone 41+ years old, I had to put the line somewhere). I’m yet to work out organise a publisher and issues surrounded proceedings from the book, but hope to have this sorted in the coming few weeks. Stay tuned. Cheers for your time guys!

Deadline for submissionsQuite a few people have been asking me about a deadline for getting their essay in for the book. There’s no real rush currently as I’m finishing up my MSc project from now until November, so I might put the deadline around the end of January of 2012. So let’s say Jan 31st for now, and if things change as I’m sure they will we can reassess things. So for anyone writing an essay currently, or hoping to write one in the future, feel free to send them to me at [email protected] anytime from now until January. However, I may not be able to read it and offer feed back instantly, but I promise to reply to all submissions as soon as I am able.Please share this information around with anyone you may think would be interested in writing an essay.  DEADLINE UPDATE: I’m going to extend the update to the end of 2012. It’s become obvious that this book project is going to take a long time to put together, and essays are going to be submitted at different times as people write at different speeds and have other things going on in their lives. So get them in when you can if you’re interested, but hopefully I’ll have everything I need by the end of 2012.  Pete

PeteDarwin
User is offlineOffline
Edited those weird html bits out

A Younger Generation’s Rise to Atheism   Dear all young non-theists! I am Pete Darwin and I’m an avid secular humanist atheist and have been all my life. I’m currently completing a Masters of Science at the University of Melbourne in the area of evolutionary genetics and zoology.Anyway, I am working at putting together a book of essays regarding the younger generations’ rise to atheism.   The idea for this book was brought about when I decided I wanted to tell my story about how I became an atheist, as well as share a bit about my personal life with religion and numerous fundi family members. It’s been a bumpy and interesting ride to say the least. However, while reflecting on my own history with religion and atheism I knew there must be numerous other interesting, amazing, scary, and even heartbreaking stories out there that should also be told.The majority of what one reads, views or hears about atheism comes from an older generation. They are the authors of books, speakers at conferences and hosts on documentaries, and they do an amazing job at it too. However, I think the voice of the younger generations of atheists and their experiences and stories would be a great addition to the scientific, skeptical and non-theistic realm!   I want to provide a book that younger generations of theists, non-theists and agnostics alike can read, more easily digest, and hopefully connect with on a deeper level. I want to show what kind of person your average atheist is, and present an argument to show that the gap between atheists and theists is much narrower than assumed. To show that we atheists just have a different take on life that is based on scientific evidence and fact. Atheists are the least trusted minority according to US polls, when things couldn’t be further from the truth.   So I think it’s incredibly important to create a book that illustrates who and what the average atheist is like, as well as why, when and how they became an atheist.   I hope the book gives theist readers a better understanding of atheism and atheists in general, and not to fear or hate them as all too many do today. I hope it reassures and strengthens other atheists who read it, and that it gets fence sitter agnostics into the right paddock. I also hope that people in the process of losing their religion, or even those who just starting to question things, with something to connect with and provide a little support and guidance. What is required of essay authors?

To write 2000-5000 words

For the third section I’d like to cover as many areas as possible, which reinforce one’s stance as an atheist or a sceptic (if it’s about supernatural beliefs like astrology/homeopathy/psychics, etc).

Examples: any area of science: evolution, archaeology, geology, history and inaccuracies in the bible, philosophy, issues with morality, Christ mythicism,

So one would introduce that topic and then explain how it is in direct contrast with theism or supernatural beliefs and affirms their atheism. With any personal stories relating to the topic added in if one chooses.  It doesn’t have to be that exact formula, but the main idea is to have a personal story about how one became an atheist and why one remains an atheist with reference to a specific reason/topic. People are welcome to add in anything extra, and go outside of the word limit if they need.  I will be getting in contact with a number of renowned atheists to be involved with this book, and will hopefully have space for 15-20 essays from average Joe young atheists of all shapes and sizes. I have to just quickly mention that all essays may be edited or asked for editing to be made, and that there’s no assurance that all essays will be published in the book. The best 15-20 will be chosen. Anyway, thanks for your time and keep fighting the good fight my friends!

I might also add, the cut off age will be 40. So anyone 40 years old or younger is able to write for this book (sorry anyone 41+ years old, I had to put the line somewhere). I’m yet to work out organise a publisher and issues surrounded proceedings from the book, but hope to have this sorted in the coming few weeks. Stay tuned. Cheers for your time guys!

Deadline for submissions  Quite a few people have been asking me about a deadline for getting their essay in for the book. There’s no real rush currently as I’m finishing up my MSc project from now until November, so I might put the deadline around the end of January of 2012. So let’s say Jan 31st for now, and if things change as I’m sure they will we can reassess things.  So for anyone writing an essay currently, or hoping to write one in the future, feel free to send them to me at [email protected] anytime from now until January. However, I may not be able to read it and offer feed back instantly, but I promise to reply to all submissions as soon as I am able.Please share this information around with anyone you may think would be interested in writing an essay. DEADLINE UPDATE: I’m going to extend the update to the end of 2012. It’s become obvious that this book project is going to take a long time to put together, and essays are going to be submitted at different times as people write at different speeds and have other things going on in their lives. So get them in when you can if you’re interested, but hopefully I’ll have everything I need by the end of 2012. Pete

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
PeteDarwin wrote:  I want

PeteDarwin wrote:

I want to provide a book that younger generations of theists, non-theists and agnostics alike can read, more easily digest, and hopefully connect with on a deeper level. I want to show what kind of person your average atheist is, and present an argument to show that the gap between atheists and theists is much narrower than assumed. To show that we atheists just have a different take on life that is based on scientific evidence and fact. Atheists are the least trusted minority according to US polls, when things couldn’t be further from the truth.   So I think it’s incredibly important to create a book that illustrates who and what the average atheist is like, as well as why, when and how they became an atheist. 

I think you have your work cut out for you. The average atheist is an illusive creature and very few of them are left in the wild. If they haven't been over-hunted, the are usually in hiding, blending in to society so that they can lead a simple life. When they do come out of hiding it is for brief moments and often among their own family, usually at Christmas dinner, weddings or funerals.

As for the gap between the atheists and theists, hmmm, I think you'll find the gap is farther apart than you think.