Whitney Houston dies.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whitney Houston dies.

It is all over the news you can google it or turn on your tv news.

The investigation is ongoing into the pop singers death. My safe bet is that it is probably from complications from prior addictions or a relapse.

She had a great voice, no one can deny that. Her fans will miss her.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really hate the word

I really hate the word "shocking" used all over the media. It is sad, especially for the fans, but it should not be shocking considering her prior addictions and I highly suspect that this was the result of a complication or relapse.

John Belushi, Cris Farly both master comedians, and their deaths too, sad, but should not be shocking. Same with Elvis.

You abuse your body enough it can and will catch up to you. Hitchens was the most honest about himself in this context. He loved his smokes and booze, but he would not have called his death "shocking". It would be like knowing the rattle snake was poisonous and are "shocked" when it bites you.

I would be fine with calling her death sad, but hardly shocking. She did do at a minimum, transcend racial lines, which America and the world needed. But this is hardly rare or shocking for our species collectively.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:She did do at

Brian37 wrote:
She did do at a minimum, transcend racial lines, which America and the world needed.

So did Billie Holliday, Josephine Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, Cab Calloway, Paul Robeson,  Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, James Brown, Ray Charles, Nat "King" Cole, John Coltrane, Sammy Davis Jr, Bo Diddly, "Fats" Domino, Duke Ellington, B.B. King, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Dizzy Gillespie, Wynton Marsalis, Thelonious Monk, Lena Horne, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder,  Isaac Hayes, Diana Ross and The Supremes, Herbie Hancock, John Lee Hooker, Prince, ....blah, blah.

Transcending racial lines is soooo 20'th century.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It is sad. I was never a

It is sad. I was never a Whitney fan myself but she certainly had a lot of talent. And of course people are shocked, people are shocked by predictable events all the time. Americans seem especially susceptible to living in a fantasy world and are always upset and shocked when reality intrudes on it.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
She let a washed up R&B

She let a washed up R&B asshole (Bobby Brown) abuse her and get her strung out on every mainstream drug that they could get their hands on.  She used to be a great singer, ended up a train wreck and is now dead.

Moving on...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:She let

Sage_Override wrote:

She let a washed up R&B asshole (Bobby Brown) abuse her and get her strung out on every mainstream drug that they could get their hands on.  She used to be a great singer, ended up a train wreck and is now dead.

Moving on...

This is what is so fucked up about evolution and our species. We far too often conflate a mundane reality to the end of the world. Our species was around before her birth, our species will continue without you or me. She had a great voice, but ultimately she was one person in our evolution, like all of us are. Life goes on.

"Special" only means something in context. She was special to her loved ones and friends, and special to her fans, but no human is special long term to evolution. In the context of evolution it is as much luck as it is work and the ultimate fate will happen to us all.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm sorry but I feel

I'm sorry but I feel nothing but indifference concerning Whitney's unscheduled demise.   She was still a skank, just like Amy Winehouse.  I seriously don't give a shit.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I'm

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I'm sorry but I feel nothing but indifference concerning Whitney's unscheduled demise.   She was still a skank, just like Amy Winehouse.  I seriously don't give a shit.

No, she was a human being with an addiction. Otherwise you should call Hitchens a "skank" too. I saw him in person in a drunken state with women hanging all over him and I am quite sure he got laid at the convention I went to. If they are "skanks" then Hitchens was too.

Otherwise they are all human beings suffering from a very real problem. If you say you don't give a shit about her, that is fine, I am not a fan Elvis , in that context sure. But addiction can and does affect  all walks of life, regardless of class race, income, religion, ect ect ect,  and the people who have them should be helped, not judged.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

No, she was a human being with an addiction. Otherwise you should call Hitchens a "skank" too. I saw him in person in a drunken state with women hanging all over him and I am quite sure he got laid at the convention I went to. If they are "skanks" then Hitchens was too.

Otherwise they are all human beings suffering from a very real problem. If you say you don't give a shit about her, that is fine, I am not a fan Elvis , in that context sure. But addiction can and does affect  all walks of life, regardless of class race, income, religion, ect ect ect,  and the people who have them should be helped, not judged.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote: